Marketing You

For fiction and non-fiction outside the Black Library range. This includes book reviews, recommendations, advice on writing, and publishing fiction of any nature.

Re: Marketing You

Postby Robbie MacNiven » Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:35 pm

My extremely naive gameplan is as follows - publish short stories for anyone and everyone I can, regardless of repute, pay or royalties. Once I have assembled sufficient feathers for my cap, see if I can get a novella or even a novel with a small press (there are small presses that accept novel sized works). Repeat until I have sufficient writerly qualifications to approach an editor with The Big Novel Plan I have stashed away in reserve for just such an occasion. Be published by a reasonably sized House, live penniless but happily ever after.

So many things wrong with this plan. So. Many. Things. Still, we can but try.
Robbie MacNiven

Postby Bod the inquisitor » Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:10 am

Squiggle wrote: Whether or not I'd want to pay up front for an agent with no guarantee is a question I haven't gotten near answering.

Far as I understand it you don't pay agents up front, they take a percentage commission on sales of your work. Well, according to Writers’ & Artists' yearbook 2012 current commission is 10-15%, though its pointed out this might be on the rise because of increasing overheads.

There’s an enormous amount of information on this topic in the aforementioned year book, on how to go about getting an agent and how they work; along with a UK and Ireland and then overseas listing of literary agents. Along with a lot of other interesting bits and pieces about writing of all types, including some articles written by known authors on short stories, synopsis writing and such like. I got my copy from WH Smith recently; it was on offer £14.99 instead of the usual £16.99. It is only £2 but hey that’s nearly a pint.

I’d also recommend Getting published The essential guide for authors. I’ve not managed to read it from cover to cover but it has a lot of information and advice on getting published, i.e. post the writing bit. This includes a whole chapter on agents as well as other things like life after publication and such like. It another Writers’ and Artists’ yearbook guide thing so I take it as pretty good info.

Hope this is useful to you :D
Ordos: Lectorformator

Enter my children,
Enter and join the betrayed,
Enter and leave the light,
Enter and forever join the ranks of the damned.

My latest effort: Useful Adversaries and Heart’s desire

Stories from my past
Bod the inquisitor

Postby R_Marsden » Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:59 am

Let me answer!

Rights = If the publisher is out of the biz then the rights usually revert to you. The contract will specify if otherwise. Not to worry though, a publisher who is 'out' has no reason to keep your story or novel, right?

Publishing = Getting a big publisher is hard because you first need an agent. Getting an agent is also hard. In one cover letter you need to get an agent interested enough to look at your work. The agent, who has all the inside track on things, can get your story to a real publisher. Without an agent life can be difficult, but not impossible, with the big publishers. In many ways the larger publishing houses are like the 'lottery'.

Smaller publishers are easier to work with, but come with their own quirks. I have two. One, Twisted Library Press (Library of the Living Dead) has stopped some of their operations. While my novel is still being held and can be bought, it's not a good sign. Also, the publisher did very little to market. So, book 2 in the Tyrant series I'll self-publish. Even if I get the same results, I'll keep all the cash and be happier for it. I've had enough stories and two books picked up by the minor-leagues, so I feel confident to do the self-published thing for my sci-fi series. http://WWW.WorksofRichardMarsden.com has a section called the Writers Blog. It tells you how to get published for short stories and for novels and how the process works.

Getting Famous on your own then picked up = Headhunting. There are publishing houses that actively do this, seeking out successful self-published authors then trying to get them to sign on with them. If you can get over 1000 sales in a year, you'll catch someone's eye. Many books never breach 500 in their lifetime.

Publishers are odd lots though. They like it to go this way. They pick up your book, it sells 10,000 copies in a year. They never speak to you again about this book. One author's book kept selling about 3000 every year. Year after year, and the publisher was not pleased. They want all their money fast!

Advance Slaves = I met a semi-pro author with a real publisher and he was in debt to his publisher. The publisher had given him a nice advance. He won't get any royalties until the advance is paid for. It's an advance after all. He laughed and said it would take years for him to do this given how low the royalties are. He did not tell me how much he made a year, but from what I gathered and deduced, less than my dayjob.

My Short Story Anthology = The publisher contacted me not long ago and said they want all my stuff. So I gave it to them. We found a cover artist and he's about halfway done. The cover is pretty awesome I think. Snow. Warrior. Bad-A-- wolf of Fenris... what's not to like? When the cover is done I assume they'll be some editing decisions made and then print-time. The publisher of Crystal Wizard has also been helpful in the realm of getting my sci-fi series self-published. She isn't wary about sharing all the 'how to' of it.

THANKS to everyone who bought a copy of the Traveling Tyrant in print or in kindle. Only with your money can I build a spaceship which will be used against our common foe... or for whoever pays us.
R_Marsden

Postby R_Marsden » Sun Nov 06, 2011 11:28 pm

Cleaned up my website a bit. I have the unusual issue of having several subject areas of interest on my website. The majority is interested in swordsmanship (of which I hope to write a book about shortly) and the rest are there for my 'stuff'. I recommend people hyper-focus when making a web-page! In my case, I'm trying to marry the 'writing gig' to the 'sword gig'.

I provided new links to my published works, but also to the books I am in or wrote. Having an impressive list is, well--- impressive. Be sure to track all of your publications!

http://www.worksofrichardmarsden.com/publicationlist.htm Publications.
http://www.worksofrichardmarsden.com/books.htm Books.
R_Marsden

Postby R_Marsden » Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:56 pm

Christmas did well for my book. Why?

Friends and relations bought Kindles and such, and my book, which is dirt cheap on kindle, was top of their list. My kindle sales have probably come close to outstripping my print sales at this rate.

Enjoy, if you've not already
http://www.amazon.com/The-Traveling-Tyrant-ebook/dp/B0052A47KM/ref=sr_1_sc_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1325789780&sr=8-2-spell Kindle Version
http://www.travelingtyrant.com Website, including chapter 1 for free.
R_Marsden

Postby R_Marsden » Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:02 am

Using Lightning Source to print and distribute my second Traveling Tyrant novel which shall be out shortly. This is my first venture in self-publishing and there is a little upfront cost to doing it, and finding the right folk to get all the many components of a book together.

Small-time presses so far have done so little to sell my books, I figured why not try on my own.
R_Marsden

Postby R_Marsden » Sat Mar 10, 2012 4:05 am

Ok so it's out! My SECOND novel in the series.

http://www.travelingtyrant.com has all the information plus goodies.

Plus = Lightning Source is a pro-printer.
Con = Amazon.com and Lightning Source are in a tiff where Amazon.com shows Lightning Source books as 'out of stock', even though its POD and not so.

Ebooks out as well.

Enjoy and thanks for everyone who partakes. I cut my teeth here and y'all helped me get where I am today making dozens of dollars.
R_Marsden

Postby R_Marsden » Sun Mar 11, 2012 6:40 pm

http://www.facebook.com/groups/thetravelingtyrant/

Facebook page! Yep, a marketing tool that's worked pretty well. People like the page and you give them stuff. I give out videos, art, and strange gear... such as Tyrant Boxers to entice people to read and join!
R_Marsden

Previous

Return to Board index

Return to Published Works