Dark Heresy General

This area is for stories written in groups, and collaborative fiction-based games.

Re: Dark Heresy General

Postby Xisor » Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:08 pm

Which, in fairness, he did do yesterday. Except it wasn't so much mysterious as annoying and unexplained.

I'd go with lumping a price onto them. They're not innately more rare than, say, an implanted vivisector and those have a price. We just need to think of sensible prices.
Admin of Ruin
"When my housemate puts his bike in the middle of the living room floor, I find that inordinately jarring, annoying and rude, but for me to refer to it as "genocide" would be incorrect." -Ath
xisor.wordpress
Xisor's Dice-o-matic Maiminator
Xisor
Site Admin

Postby Maugan Ra » Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:53 am

Anyway. For those of you who haven't heard, Dan has found himself unable to actually run the Rogue Trader game. On the strength of the fact that I happened to be there when he announced this, I have called dibs and am thus back in the position of running the game.

However, I'm not entirely sure what to run, as I have rather a few ideas rattling around in my head. Therefore, on Tuesday 29th, if folks could attempt to be online for... let's say about 6pm, we'll have a talk amongst the group as a whole and decide what happens next. Possible games thus far are the following:

1) The Left Hand of God - A Dark Heresy game, where your acolytes are trusted and proven agents of a radical Inquisitor.

2) Rogue Trader - Would probably involve me just picking up the characters and ship we already created and running with it.

3) Call of Cthulhu - Yeah. I've checked, and I can get my hands on the rules. This is a horror game, with an infamously high mortality rate for player characters. Running this would basically be a license for me to exercise the truly dark and twisted things that pass for my mind and soul.... but hey, it'd be entertaining.

4) Shadowrun - You're all criminals and mercenaries, in a world where a mage might find themselves flinging fireballs and conjuring elemental spirits while their teammates lay down assault rifle fire and use wireless computer systems to turn automated gunships against their owners.

5) Eclipse Phase - It was described to me as "Deus Ex meets The Terminator in the Firefly 'verse, as written by H.P Lovecraft". Thanks to mind transfer and backup technology, the human race has achieved functional immortality, along with a number of "uplifted" species and artificial lifeforms. This is a game where the sight of a sapient octopus firing a laser rifle at an oncoming war-robot is a mundane occurance.

6) Deathwatch - Hey, Space Marines. Fairly self explanatory. A chance for you to be proper heroes, or possibly a loose grouping of psychotic monsters. Given that it's 40k, there's probably not a great deal of difference between the two.

7) Paranoia - I'm sorry, citizen, but details on this game are beyond your security clearance. Attempting to access them would be treason, and punishable by death. Have a pleasant daycycle, and always remember - The Computer is your friend.
(Yeah, this is an odd game. If you're a player, knowing the rules is punishable by death. Ratting out your teammates to the authorites for being communists, mutants and/or traitors is actively encouraged. As is making sure they have convenient accidents before they can do the same to you.)
Maugan, your slow descent into madness is starting to look more like a BASE jump...
- Rahvin

The 210th Cadian - Tanks, heavy weapons, and an ongoing hatred of Land Raiders.
W: 41
D: 6
L: 14
Maugan Ra

Postby Mossy Toes » Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:01 am

Heh, I have a friend who's trying to rope me into an Eclipse Phase game. Seeing as this friend has little sense of self-moderation (well, actually, he actually has Aspergers)...I'm hesitant to join in. I could see it spinning way too far out of control way too fast.
What sphinx of plascrete and adamantium bashed open their skulls and ate up their brains and imagination? Imperator!
Mossy Toes

Postby Rahvin » Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:31 am

You forgot
8) Da Deffwotch - an all-ork Rogue Trader game of shenanigans, hijinks and bickering over who gets da kaptin's 'at. What would be properly awesome would be to split the group into two sub-groups, and have one half playing Da Deffwotch, and the other half playing the legitimate Deathwatch Kill-team sent to hunt them down.

But failing that, RT, Eclipse Phase (delicious transhumanism) or Paranoia (because hilarity) gets my vote.
Rahvin

Postby Xisor » Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:48 pm

As it happens, we've settled on Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay: 2nd Edition, I ought to be available on MSN to help with character creation if needed. Plan is to organise things on Wednesday if we're all available then and, possibly, start too.

On the Dark Heresy front, we're saying tomorrow (i.e. Monday) with, I think, the earlier in the afternoon the better. I ought to be free all day tomorrow as I'd forgotten: I'm on holiday!
Admin of Ruin
"When my housemate puts his bike in the middle of the living room floor, I find that inordinately jarring, annoying and rude, but for me to refer to it as "genocide" would be incorrect." -Ath
xisor.wordpress
Xisor
Site Admin

Postby Xisor » Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:46 pm

Damnation, where are you other scamps!?
Admin of Ruin
xisor.wordpress
Xisor
Site Admin

Postby Maugan Ra » Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:50 am

First WFRP game today, around about 3pm. It would help if most of the group are there. Character creation can be done at the start of the session, if needs be, as WFRP makes it almost entirely randomised, which makes things nice and quick.

The setting is Altdorf, roughly eight months after Archeon was defeated outside Middenheim. More specifically, we're talking the Altdorf waterfront, along the river Reik. Our current characters are a Boatman, a Baliff and a Runesmith. There are about sixty basic careers to get randomly assigned to, so I don't really expect duplicates (though it can happen, and will be entertaining if it does).
Maugan, your slow descent into madness is starting to look more like a BASE jump...
- Rahvin

Maugan Ra

Postby Xisor » Mon May 09, 2011 2:51 pm

Right, Philbertson ought to be gang-mastering us this evening. Unfortunately I've a clusterbomb of pressing appointments which have cropped up between 4pm and 7pm. I hope to be back and online by about 7.30/8, at which point I'd be super happy to join in.

If the session's going well, please try to find yourselves in the viscinity of a spaceport's bookshop by then and Vexia Camelon will be in fine fettle to lend a helpful hand to the group.

(By this token: even if there's only two players about, I strongly recommend advancing it. We've had plenty of good games with only two players [the bulk of House of Dust and Ash], they work wonderfully. Moreover, we've had some excellent little 1-on-1 roleplays too [consensual GMing by each player], I'm keen to play this evening, so would be exceedingly happy to see things in mid-swing when I arrive later on.)
Admin of Ruin
xisor.wordpress
Xisor
Site Admin

Postby Xisor » Mon May 30, 2011 6:37 pm

Hold on folks, I'm coming! Not far from house now.
Admin of Ruin
xisor.wordpress
Xisor
Site Admin

Postby Maugan Ra » Tue May 31, 2011 12:42 am

So. Apparently, everyone died. And now we get new characters with radical philosophies! Yay!
- Rahvin

Maugan Ra

Postby Obscura Boy » Tue May 31, 2011 3:31 am

Here's to extremist views and questionable morals! :P
My other car is a Land Raider.
Obscura Boy

Postby Xisor » Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:45 am

I've got three radical characters lined up:
- Beastwoman Warrior Psyker (hivemutant templar calixis diviner)
- Old Biddy (darkholder adept w/Thy Name I Keep [timeless] and Malefic Scholar)
- Old Biddy mkii (mind-cleansed redemptionist-infil-traitor-maltek [inc. Mark of the Phaeonite])

In the case of the Warrior-Psyker, I've half a hankering for her charging about the Cantus underhive atop a feliraptor (as per Radical's Handbook). Unfortunately they don't have a listed cost, any suggestions for pricing of such a beastie?
Admin of Ruin
xisor.wordpress
Xisor
Site Admin

Postby Xisor » Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:04 pm

Musing on the characters, I have available, I think I'll preserve Father Hank Assyrilon (rooting, tooting, gun toting cleric) for another campaign. This campaign really offers up radicalism and it'd be silly not to really dive into the depths with it. So, here's some thoughts on the others for you:

Otalia Harlon
Beastwoman Warrior Psyker (hivemutant templar calixis diviner)

She's a right old deviant, all told. A warrior-psyker of the diviner creeds, she feels herself drawn towards a future where humanity, all of humanity not just the genetically 'pure', can live lives of liberty and prosperity, not of eternal drudgery and hopeless servitude. Being a beastwoman (very lizard like, forked tongue, rather scaly skin, starey eyes), she's fought her share of absolute prejudice yet persist in belief that those people, those who hate and fear her, are still worth saving, that in the deepest corners of their bleak souls the Emperor, that humanity itself still has purpose for them and to squander them is to jeopardise the only hope of victory over the darkness.

Very much: You have been told the Inquisition are the bright saviours in an eclipse of evil, purest and most devoted warriors of the Emperor. Except that few others in the Inquisition see her as such. The Recongregators would be headhunting to recruit her if only she wasn't overwhelmingly naive for their liking, none have felt comfortable enough trying to manipulate her. Yet.

Inebrilon Tain
Old Biddy no more (darkholder adept w/Thy Name I Keep [timeless] and Malefic Scholar)

Inebrilon Tain, if I get the permission of LL, will be Rogue Trader Kvash's governess. I.e. she oversaw his education as an infant (before later being moved on to his siblings). She was already elderly when Kvash was young. Yet, nowadays, having accompanied her now lord and master into the service of the Inquisition, she is (inexplicably?) reinvigorated. She maintains she secured a good rejuve surgeon, but that is plainly not true. Though carrying herself with the air of an fussing battleaxe, she has the appearance of a woman barely out of her teens, athletic, proud, unblemished and unbroken by the trials of reality itself.

Her belief is that the Imperium is a thoroughly difficult government to exist within. To stand with the sanction of the Inquisition now seems the only option as the Warrant she previously served has been diminished beyond existence. Her closeness with Kvash is as clinging to to the flotsam of the family, she is slowly beginning to have genuine hope of remaking a life of her own, of her own direction and own...salvation. Now all she needs to do is to tie up a few loose ends for a few people she still owes favours to.

Doreen Epsilon
Old Biddy mkii (mind-cleansed redemptionist-infil-traitor-maltek stalker[inc. Mark of the Phaeonite])

A day carer for the infants and toddlers at the Church of the Salvation Rebirth and Sunday scholam mistress for the Dachenian Redemption Fellowship, Doreen has been brought in to assist her young friends' associates with a spot of bother they've been having amidst all the kerfuffle downhive. Though she vaguely witters about her youth in the hive, it is invariably of places no-one now remembers, save off-worlders. She constantly reminisces about people no-one new and is plainly suffering from long gaps and prolonged inconsistencies in her recollection of her life.

Quite forgetful, she is now coming to realise that perhaps her life is not all she remembers it as, and perhaps the trend taken by the young faithful to wearing faith covering masks and perhaps becoming a little too guild-ridden over Brother Hetch's penances might not be quite the quiet church group she still believes them to be. Certainly, their clothes seem to get burn marks and awful lot and their industrial chain-breachers seem involved in rather many surprisingly bloody accidents on the night shifts.
Admin of Ruin
xisor.wordpress
Xisor
Site Admin

Postby LordLucan » Sat Jun 04, 2011 9:47 pm

Who's Kvash? His name is Thvash.

Why can you never, ever get my character names right Xisor? :P

Aside from that, yeah I like the governess thing. Possibly she is the only person he ever really listens to?
Check out my debut fantasy novel from Fox Spirit Books, The Hobgoblin's Herald (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hobgoblins-Herald-R-Aston/dp/1910462047). If you've read it, please rate and review it on amazon; I'd be eternally grateful. The sequel, Eater of Names, is out in 2018, so watch this space.
LordLucan

Postby Xisor » Sat Jun 04, 2011 9:56 pm

LordLucan wrote:Aside from that, yeah I like the governess thing. Possibly she is the only person he ever really listens to?

Sounds good to me! And I rather like the character too, good shout, Lord Luton!
Admin of Ruin
xisor.wordpress
Xisor
Site Admin

Postby LordLucan » Sat Jun 04, 2011 10:48 pm

Xisor wrote:Lord Luton!
[/quote]

:x

:P
Check out my debut fantasy novel from Fox Spirit Books, The Hobgoblin's Herald (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hobgoblins-Herald-R-Aston/dp/1910462047). If you've read it, please rate and review it on amazon; I'd be eternally grateful. The sequel, Eater of Names, is out in 2018, so watch this space.
LordLucan

Postby Maugan Ra » Mon Jun 06, 2011 3:33 pm

OK, currently sitting on the train, and I've finally managed to get the wifi to work. I should therefore be available for the first session of our Radical game, which I believe is today.

I'm around until 10pm or so, which is when the train arrives in London. Hopefully that should be plenty of time to get a good game.
- Rahvin

Maugan Ra

Postby Xisor » Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:26 pm

Hello scamps, doing a few hours later on end of shift. Should be out and home by 6ish, start without me if you get a good number ready to go, I can happily catch up. :)
Admin of Ruin
xisor.wordpress
Xisor
Site Admin

Postby Maugan Ra » Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:50 pm

Well, my apologies for slowing the game down with my constant MSN fails. I ended up quitting because it was clear that I wasn't going to be able to meaningfully participate. Well, that and because I was just about to reach the end of my train ride.

So.... I understand there's a daemonhost. Fantastic.
- Rahvin

Maugan Ra

Postby Obscura Boy » Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:38 pm

Yeah, tell me about it. Should have seen that one coming, eh?
My other car is a Land Raider.
Obscura Boy

PreviousNext

Return to Board index

Return to Collaborative Fiction