RiaR: Ancient Wonder VOTING THREAD

The Bolthole's monthly 1,000 word story competition.

Re: RiaR: Ancient Wonder VOTING THREAD

Postby J D Dunsany » Thu Jun 02, 2011 7:36 pm

Right-o. Before I cast my votes, a confession:

Normally, I don't give too much thought to the word or phrase prompts. Oh, don't get me wrong. There's a certain amount of thought that goes into ensuring they're broad enough to encourage a wide variety of entries. (And sometimes that works better than others.) But, I don't give too much thought about what to expect from the entries. I mean, that's part of the fun, isn't it? You set a prompt and the good members of this forum knock themselves out surprising the hell out of you. Which is more than cool, really. This time was a little different, though. Given the rich backstory of both the main BL settings (particularly 40K), I had a fair idea of the kind of stories I was going to (nay, wanted to) see. And I wasn't disappointed. The shadow of the Horus Heresy looms large in a lot of entries - as well it should. We've got the cabal, a daemon primarch, Abaddon finding his sword - and the fact that his hair style is modeled on his mother's made me chuckle: that's quite a nice, believable detail there, stu - and a disturbing insight into the origins of the Emperor Himself: all fething marvelous. Add to that a dragon, Iron Men, two dreadnoughts and a giant psychic toad and... what a month we've had. Utterly brilliant. A huge congratulations to everyone whose ideas and storytelling skills have made today an exceptionally pleasant one for me.

Of course, there were a couple of entries that I just wasn't expecting at all. As it happens, one of them gets my first place vote...

1. Apotheosis by Mossy Toes. Beautifully written, MT. You seem to get better every time I read one of your stories. This one's a beautiful gem. Thanks for sharing.

2. Friend by DarthDrac. There's a lot to like in this one - the Iron Men, the cabal - but it's the relationship between the human and eldar protagonists that gripped me. Lovely stuff.

3. Works of Art by Tyrant. Those World Eaters, eh? What appealed to me about this was its insistent undermining of the high ideals of the 'Great Crusade'. The Garlands are xenos; therefore, they should be destroyed. One of the fundamental flaws of the Emperor's 'big society' (sorry, couldn't resist) exposed rather nicely there. Well-written and thought-provoking.

4. Here Be Dragons by Raziel4707. The ending was perhaps a bit too perfunctory, but there's some top notch description here and you get across the horrible mismatch of power between the humans and the Slann mage-priest very well. 'Croak'? Those humans certainly did. :)

Everyone else gets a special mention, because everyone else was considered: Stu for taking 1 000 words to explore the psyche of one of the main villains of the 40K universe and for doing it with considerable aplomb. Atlantic for a lovely dwarf story that uses the established background subtly and skilfully. Phalanx for a very well-written look at a space marine's personal history. The chimp for, again, an extremely well-written story and one of the most horrifying introductions of a main villain I've read in a long while. And Gundi for a genuinely intriguing tale that was redolent with myth, tragedy and mystery.

All in all, this has been one of the best months I've presided over. Feeling a bit proud of this place, right now.

About an hour and a half left to go, btw.

Regards,

JDD
JDD story of the moment: Glory
J D Dunsany

Postby LordLucan » Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:09 pm

Ok, hour and a half gone now. New RiaR now? :D
Check out my debut fantasy novel from Fox Spirit Books, The Hobgoblin's Herald (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hobgoblins-Herald-R-Aston/dp/1910462047). If you've read it, please rate and review it on amazon; I'd be eternally grateful. The sequel, Eater of Names, is out in 2018, so watch this space.
LordLucan

Postby Stuart000X » Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:00 pm

Thanks for the feedback JD, glad you liked the story :D
Stuart000X

Postby J D Dunsany » Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:23 pm

Voting is over and what everyone's known for a while can be confirmed. :D

1. Apotheosis by Mossy Toes with 48 points, including eight first place votes.

2. Works of Art by Tyrant with 30 points.

3. Echoes by Ballistichimp with 22 points.

Joint fourth were Gundi da Grot's The Last Witness and Raziel4707's Here Be Dragons on 21 points. There were ten entries and sixteen sets of votes posted - which is probably some kind of record, I'd imagine. Of the ten entries, nine received votes and six received first place votes.

A great month for stories and voting.

Congratulations to Mossy and everyone else who made this competition such a fantastic one.

The story thread for next month's competition will be posted shortly.

JDD
JDD story of the moment: Glory
J D Dunsany

Postby Ballistichimp » Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:48 pm

Congrats MT on a victory well won!

And thanks to all you folks for your kind remarks :)

Onward!
It's a brilliant plan with no obvious flaws. You should do it immediately.
Ballistichimp

Postby Stuart000X » Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:49 pm

Well done all, a fine competition indeed :)
Stuart000X

Postby Mossy Toes » Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:35 pm

Thank you, everyone. I'm very glad that my story could reach out and touch (most of :P ) you. The level of competition I faced was exceedingly high, so it was an honor to have been lifted up by all of your hands and shoulders for this.

Crowdsurfing, whoo!
What sphinx of plascrete and adamantium bashed open their skulls and ate up their brains and imagination? Imperator!
Mossy Toes

Postby Commander Shadow » Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:29 am

congrats everyone! very high quality of stories this round! Lets go again......

ERE WE GO ERE WE GO WAAAARGH DA ORKS!
- And there arose from the abyss a terrible beast and the armies of man were laid low by the walls of the ancient city. The ground shook and the skies trembled and all knew as the beast had come forth and that the end of time was upon them.

"Shadow is always right, except when he tries to save his men from charging orks" - Ang
Commander Shadow

Postby Jelboy » Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:48 am

Well done Mossy (even though I didn't vote for you this time ;) ) and well done everyone else!
Jelboy

Previous

Return to Board index

Return to Read in a Rush