War Engagement

For convenient but separate story advertisement, planning and discussion threads.

Re: War Engagement

Postby Phalanx » Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:01 am

I'm happy to dip my toes into the battlefleet, as I've spent a lot of time researching them recently for a submission.
"There is an impothter among uth, and he touched my ath!"
ChrisDamico.co.uk
Phalanx

Postby shadowhawk2008 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:05 am

I kept it quite a bit pre-badab so as to reinforce the original theme of a sector strained by the recent wars of the The Damocles Crusade and the First Tyrannic wars, plus pirate raids and all that good stuff. Loyalties are under pressure and in a bid to reinforce people's loyalties the local cardinal crosses the line into heresy. :)
Shadowhawk's Shade My 40k/writing/review blog. You can check out all my reviews here.

My current fiction projects - Veergati: The Scarlet Records, an Indian space opera inspired by Star Trek.
shadowhawk2008

Location: Battle-barge Spear of Lycaeus of the Angels of Retribution

Postby Commander Shadow » Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:15 pm

the 9 regiments were pre-crusade right? just around the time when the fek started hitting the fan? From what i realize about crusades is they are quite big and 9 regiments would barely be enough to retake a planet, let alone a system.

From prior knowledge with imperial guard as well as millitary history from past to present, 9 regiments could probably take a decent sized continent, probably planet with orbital and air support. At any rate i'll come up with regimental names, backgrounds, bios of the commanding officers and their staff (Perhaps a few other officers), number of operational troops, specifications. [any thing else?]

Phalanx, seeing as you're doing the battle fleet, would you like to work together to set which ships will or have transported the regiments to the planet?
- And there arose from the abyss a terrible beast and the armies of man were laid low by the walls of the ancient city. The ground shook and the skies trembled and all knew as the beast had come forth and that the end of time was upon them.

"Shadow is always right, except when he tries to save his men from charging orks" - Ang
Commander Shadow

Postby Phalanx » Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:22 pm

I said I could do it, I'm not saying it's mine :) If you tell me what you need from the transport ships, or even just pick the ships and stuff, I will build the fleet around it.
"There is an impothter among uth, and he touched my ath!"
ChrisDamico.co.uk
Phalanx

Postby Commander Shadow » Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:34 pm

oh my bad man. I'll do just that then :)

From what i understand we don't have full control over each part right? This is a joint effort where everyone offers ideas? This is more of a "creating a history" kinda thing, than actual story right? I may have gotten a little confused :cry:
- And there arose from the abyss a terrible beast and the armies of man were laid low by the walls of the ancient city. The ground shook and the skies trembled and all knew as the beast had come forth and that the end of time was upon them.

"Shadow is always right, except when he tries to save his men from charging orks" - Ang
Commander Shadow

Postby Raziel4707 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:57 pm

Aye. best thing to do is all slink off to our corners and work on something, then post it up here for discussion. Only real reason to divide it between us at this stage is so that we don't have people doing the same bit but in a totally different way.
Raziel4707

Postby Commander Shadow » Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:17 pm

right gottcha

Commander Shadow

Postby shadowhawk2008 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:29 pm

Commander Shadow wrote:the 9 regiments were pre-crusade right? just around the time when the fek started hitting the fan? From what i realize about crusades is they are quite big and 9 regiments would barely be enough to retake a planet, let alone a system.

From prior knowledge with imperial guard as well as millitary history from past to present, 9 regiments could probably take a decent sized continent, probably planet with orbital and air support. At any rate i'll come up with regimental names, backgrounds, bios of the commanding officers and their staff (Perhaps a few other officers), number of operational troops, specifications. [any thing else?]

Phalanx, seeing as you're doing the battle fleet, would you like to work together to set which ships will or have transported the regiments to the planet?

That's how I am seeing them as well. But its up to you how you'd like to work it out. If you want you can mix it up with veteran troops being brought up from outside the subsector while the DM raises fresh regiments within. Also, in Eisenhorn, the crusade force mentioned has a regiment of 500,000 guardsmen which is later expanded to 750,000 to be on the safer side 8-) so do with it what you will. Reinforcements can always be brought in.

Phalanx wrote:I said I could do it, I'm not saying it's mine :) If you tell me what you need from the transport ships, or even just pick the ships and stuff, I will build the fleet around it.

Well would you like to do it? ;)

Commander Shadow wrote:oh my bad man. I'll do just that then :)

From what i understand we don't have full control over each part right? This is a joint effort where everyone offers ideas? This is more of a "creating a history" kinda thing, than actual story right? I may have gotten a little confused :cry:

Exactly. Least that's what I understand.

Raziel4707 wrote:Aye. best thing to do is all slink off to our corners and work on something, then post it up here for discussion. Only real reason to divide it between us at this stage is so that we don't have people doing the same bit but in a totally different way.

I can keep the compilations of everything we agree on and build a single document out of it.
Shadowhawk's Shade My 40k/writing/review blog. You can check out all my reviews here.

My current fiction projects - Veergati: The Scarlet Records, an Indian space opera inspired by Star Trek.
shadowhawk2008

Postby Commander Shadow » Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:09 pm

out of curiousity, would anyone with the skill/technical expertise, like to draw up a map of the system and/or planet? Just to help visualize things?

Commander Shadow

Postby shadowhawk2008 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:01 pm

Commander Shadow wrote:out of curiousity, would anyone with the skill/technical expertise, like to draw up a map of the system and/or planet? Just to help visualize things?

I'd be interested in this myself. Any volunteers? :D

shadowhawk2008

Postby Raziel4707 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:56 am

Not me, lack the skill and the know-how!
Raziel4707

Postby Commander Shadow » Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:27 am

This is what i've come up with so far. Let me know what sort of background you need or if there's any explanations. Note: the Lunda regiments come from a group story stuart000X and myself are in the process of getting along. its a world also on the eastern fringe, quite near to the tyrannid hive fleets (fun fact)

Imperial Guard Battle Group

Commanding Officer: Lord Marshal Uran Sergevi

Regiments

219th Caldona Line“The Black Watch”- Lord Marshal Segevi’s Own, under command of Colonel Yaz for the duration of the campaign.

125th Caldona Line “The Southlanders”- under command of Colonel Rikars

39th Caldona Line “The East Palace Guard”- under command of Colonel Macanzi

402nd Caldona House “The North Guard”- under command of Colonel Jeana

135th Veranan Grenadiers “The Bulls”- under command of Colonel Ean

907th Veranan Infantry “The Red Caps”- under command of Colonel Goa

3rd Veranan Grenadiers “The Old Dogs”- under command of Colonel Mae

51st Veranan Infantry “Kar’s Killers”- under command of Colonel Karbe

333rd Veranan Infantry “The Bloodied Bastards”- under command of Colonel Macheo

92nd Gayara Siege Infantry- under command of Colonel Mazz

109th Gayara Siege Infantry- under command of Colonel Uae

122nd Gayara Siege Infantry- under command of Colonel Corale

219th Lunda Mechanized “The Black Angels”- under command of Colonel Aeos

23rd Lunda Mechanized “The Holy Falcons”- under command of Colonel Nosamus

45th Lunda Armored- under command of Colonel Bacca

323rd Lunda Armored “The Pious Lancers”- under command of Colonel Ucheos

Commander Shadow

Postby shadowhawk2008 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:21 am

I don't see why there should be any limitations on the direction you want to go with the regiments. I'd say feel free to develop them in any way you want. Russian, american, space cowboys, spy guys, penal legion typish, scouts, heavy infantry, whatever you want.

The main background details I'd like to know are how these regiments/army groups relate to each other. Any rivalries [like the Ghosts and the Jantines/Volpones] or alliances [like the Ghosts and Vitrians]? Do the personalities of the commanding officers clash? How competent are they? Past battle-experience. Nobility or dregs? Preferred wargear such as in the 4th Ed. IG codex. Special quirks. Regimental TOE [is that the term?] examples. I've done a fair bit of this last thing and I'd be happy to help with it.

Heavy infantry? Light infantry? Scout infantry? Mechanized scout infantry? Your grenadiers are equivalents of storm troopers i take it?

Also some information on their worlds so we know why they prefer the type of regiments they field.

All your commanders are so far colonels, perhaps give them some different designations yet having the same responsibilities? For the armoured regiments, do they regimental nicknames have anything to do with their doctrines? I love the idea personally if even the same regiments of a world have differences in the application of the forces at their disposal.

I like the idea of multiple regiments from the same world nominating one of their officers as a top-level commander. So for the five Veranan regiments, Colonel Ean could be the nominated corps [or w/e] commander and be given the temporary rank of say General. You can come up with different ranks if you wish.

Also, would the siege regiments be having the necessary artillery for the campaign like the DKoK or are you going to roll it in with the armoured regiments like the Tallarns [going by the IA books]?

shadowhawk2008

Postby Razhbad » Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:31 am

Ok now some really good stuff here that I have read. Now I personally will not be going into specific details for 1 particular faction, I'd rather be involved in all groupings rather then 1.

Now with the Tau I took a look at my codex and found that if we decide to put our sector north of the Empire then the nearerst Septs are. Dal'yth which is from the 1st Expansion, Kis'm'yen & Fi'rios from the 3rd Expansion. These second 2 may not be best due to time lines.

Something I personally would like to expand on is the Inquisition involvement. Firstly I'd like to go down the angle of Ordo Xenos/Deathwatch looking into those within the sector now allied with the Tau and their investigations. Something I'd also like to see from our first time doing this engagement would be Phoenix's idea of mass recruitment from Penal Worlds. Seems like a good idea from any successionist to attempt to do in order to survive the Imperium.
Razhbad

Postby shadowhawk2008 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:36 am

I was thinking about covering the Sable Swords and the Tau military force. I have a few ideas written down.

Would you like to cover the Deathwatch, Xenos Inquisitors? And maybe Sororitas? Or something else we missed?

The Governor and Cardinal recruiting people from penal worlds is a great idea :)

shadowhawk2008

Postby Raziel4707 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:37 am

This ought to do it.

The two companies are onboard two strike cruisers, namely the “Omnipotent” and the “Glaive”, accompanied by four rapid strike vessels, the “Guardian of Ultima”, “Lancet”, “Agidius” and “Gair”.

Novamarines 3rd Company

Commanded by Brother Captain Gerber (Novamarines master at arms) with his two artificer armoured champions “Vonnegut” and “Walkenhorst”, his apothecary “Berg” and the company standard bearer “Messner”.

Disposition.

Two dreadnoughts.

Ancient Hass – Furioso – (Hass means “combat”)

Ancient Dreschner - Ordinary Dreadnought – (Name derived from threshing, separating the grains from the plant, or the wheat from the chaff, as it were.)

One terminator squad (10 men total) under Sergeant Horst

Two assault squads (20 men total) under Sergeants Durganne and Heinemanne

Four tactical squads (40men) under Sergeants Bartol, Klinsmann, Veddich, and Reiter.

Two scout squads (20 men) under Sergeants Roth and Schafer.

Small group from Novamarines 10th company under Brother Captain Gerraint (Novamarines master of novices)

Three scout units (30 men) under sergeants “Ratzenberger”, “Kalloch” and “Vaughan”.

Two attack bike units (20 men total) under Sergeants “Farren” and “Croft”.

Two land speeders and their crews.

Two Thunderhawk Gunships “Exactor” and “Vindicta”

Due to the nature of the Novamarines (fast response, high mobility etc) I’ve decided to forgo giving them tanks and whatnot.
Raziel4707

Postby shadowhawk2008 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:06 am

What about transports? And would you like me to care of the armoured side of things with the Sable Swords?

shadowhawk2008

Postby Raziel4707 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:16 am

Prodominantly going to be deployed by drop pod, will also throw in a few rhinos to move them about as needs be. For the moment I'll leave it as there are transports available on board the glaive, as it's only at half capacity for men, but will work out the specifics once we've seen what kind of engagements the Novas will be involved in.

Armour wise, if you'd like to work that out with the Sable Swords, that'd be smashing. If there is an escallation later on and the Novas or Sables require further armour it can be brought in as reinforcements, but for the minute this will represent what was in the area at the time.
Raziel4707

Postby shadowhawk2008 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:08 pm

Sable Swords Fourth Company, ‘The Hammerers

Captain Taranton Rossa – commander of the Fourth.

Lord Mellikos Zaari – Chaplain of the Fourth.
Genekeeper Prabian – Apothecary of the Fourth.
Veteran Tarian – Standard-Bearer of the Fourth.
Champion Atavian Dannos - Company Champion of the Fourth.

Veteran-Sergeant Selbicar – Sergeant of First Squad, ‘The Strikers’.
Sergeant Artassi – Sergeant of the Seventh Squad.
Sergeant Jelaz – Sergeant of the Ninth Squad.

Veteran-Sergeant Adelus – Sergeant of the Terminator Squad, ‘The Heralds’.
Sergeant Vonners – Sergeant of the Terminator Assault Squad, ‘The Oathgivers’.

Sergeant Braccio Pian – Sergeant of the 8th Company Assault Squad, ‘The Harbingers’.
Sergeant Kranson – Sergeant of the 8th Company Assault Squad, ‘The Dominators’.

Veteran-Sergeant Rhaden Tosh – Sergeant of the Armoury. Commanding 2 Land Raider Crusaders, 3 Predators, 1 Vindicator, 3 Whirlwinds, 9 Rhinos, 3 Razorbacks.

Battle-barge Duron’s Fury. Rapid Strike Vessels Helbinos Alpha and Helbinos Sigma. Also 5-7 Thunderhawks.

shadowhawk2008

Postby shadowhawk2008 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:04 pm

What about super-heavies? The Tau tank section is woefully lacking. And all the IA books seem to add are flyers or super-heavies.

shadowhawk2008

PreviousNext

Return to Board index

Return to Planning and Discussion Threads