The new Hobbit Film

Extraneous communication, genuflection, adulation, dissection and admiration should make its way in here.

The new Hobbit Film

Postby LordLucan » Mon May 23, 2011 2:43 pm

First I learn Stephen Fry shall be playing the Maste rof Laketown, then I hear Benedict Cumberpatch will have a role in this film too. This is gettign better and better. Hopefully Benedict will be doing the voice of smaug. Does anyone remember the recent Stephen Hawking documentary, which was narrated by Benedict? His voice in that is brilliant. he was also rather good in Sherlock last year. I reckon he'd make a marvellous smaug. ince I have not heard who is doing smaug's voice yet, I have hope.

Anyone else have any thoughts on the new hobbit film series?
Check out my debut fantasy novel from Fox Spirit Books, The Hobgoblin's Herald (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hobgoblins-Herald-R-Aston/dp/1910462047). If you've read it, please rate and review it on amazon; I'd be eternally grateful. The sequel, Eater of Names, is out in 2018, so watch this space.
LordLucan

Re: The new Hobbit Film

Postby Raziel4707 » Mon May 23, 2011 2:47 pm

As long as it isn't John Hurt...

I can see Cumberbatch doing that well. He has a very rich voice, not ridiculously deep but just enough of an earthy tone to it... Definitely agree with you there. Stephen Fry I'm quite pleased about also, though every time I imagine him acting, Lord Melchett's voice leaps, unbidden, into my mind...
Raziel4707

Postby Pipitán » Mon May 23, 2011 2:48 pm

I can't wait. Martin Freeman should be brilliant, as long as they don't mess up the cut point between the two films (I'd much prefer one 3 hour film than two 2 hour ones, but ah well), it should be fantastic.
It’s genius. This story absolutely BLEEDS 40K, start to finish... I freaking loved it.
- Aaron Dembski-Bowden on my story 'Sating Desire'
Pipitán

Postby Xisor » Mon May 23, 2011 3:20 pm

Sylvester McCoy as Radagast the Brown, let's not forget!

It's shaping up to be a riot of a film (duo), I just hope it is also good! (I find it difficult to imagine folks would let it get less good though. Shame they had to trample across Kiwi workers' rights, but oh well.)
"When my housemate puts his bike in the middle of the living room floor, I find that inordinately jarring, annoying and rude, but for me to refer to it as "genocide" would be incorrect." -Ath
xisor.wordpress
Xisor's Dice-o-matic Maiminator
Xisor
Site Admin

Postby Pipitán » Mon May 23, 2011 3:36 pm

I'm also, bizarrely I suppose, very much looking forward to the extual Special Editions DVDs that come out in a few years, almost as much as I am the actual films. The LotR ones were just so awesome in terms of extras (18 wonderful hours of documentaries!), and I expect the Hobbit will do the same sort of thing.
It’s genius. This story absolutely BLEEDS 40K, start to finish... I freaking loved it.
Pipitán

Postby Green River » Mon May 23, 2011 4:18 pm

Oh, that was Cumberbatch was it? The documentary that started off being narrated by Stephen Hawking himself, and then switched to something more melodious just as his voice started to grate - didn't quite know how to take that at the time. Still, great graphics, and good news!
Green River

Postby Firefox » Mon May 23, 2011 4:28 pm

I'm very much looking forward to it. I'm glad Peter Jackson is back at the helm, though I can't help but lament the loss of the darkly beautiful masterpiece Del Toro would have given us.
Firefox

Postby Pyroriffic » Mon May 23, 2011 4:48 pm

I absolutely love Benedict Cumberbatch's voice. Very mellifluous.
I reject your reality and substitute it with my own.
Pyroriffic

Postby LordLucan » Mon May 23, 2011 4:59 pm

Green River wrote:Oh, that was Cumberbatch was it? The documentary that started off being narrated by Stephen Hawking himself, and then switched to something more melodious just as his voice started to grate - didn't quite know how to take that at the time. Still, great graphics, and good news!

Yep, that's the one. To be fair, I reckon hawkings asked Cumberpatch to narrate for him. And who wouldn't like they voice to sound taht cool? :P
Check out my debut fantasy novel from Fox Spirit Books, The Hobgoblin's Herald (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hobgoblins-Herald-R-Aston/dp/1910462047). If you've read it, please rate and review it on amazon; I'd be eternally grateful. The sequel, Eater of Names, is out in 2018, so watch this space.
LordLucan

Postby Colonel Mustard » Mon May 23, 2011 6:22 pm

I'll admit I'm looking forward to this a great deal, especially since I heard that Stephen Fry's narrating this. His voice is, if I may be frank, like liquid butter being poured on dark chocolate, and anything with him in is automatically improved, even if already good, for example, Blackadder or LittleBig Planet (great game). Also I reckon Cumberbatch would do a good Smaug, actually; his voice seems the sort I can imagine a dragon having, especially a big bugger like Smaug is going to be.

Firefox wrote:I'm very much looking forward to it. I'm glad Peter Jackson is back at the helm, though I can't help but lament the loss of the darkly beautiful masterpiece Del Toro would have given us.

You know what we should really lament? His rejected proposal to do an adaptation of the Mountains of Madness. That would have been superb with Guillermo (is that how you spell it? I think so) at the helm.
Colonel Mustard

Postby Pipitán » Mon May 23, 2011 6:40 pm

Colonel Mustard wrote:You know what we should really lament? His rejected proposal to do an adaptation of the Mountains of Madness. That would have been superb with Guillermo (is that how you spell it? I think so) at the helm.

Oh god, that was so disappointing. The worst thing was the way the studio kept wavering, rather than just saying no straight away and putting us out of our misery. At one point it was even supposedly greenlit, with James Cameron producing and providing the effects and money. But alas, it was ultimately not to be. One day. One day...

On the other hand, I've seen some rumours (admittedly a while ago) suggesting that after Jackson finishes the Hobbit and Tintin, his next project will be an adaptation of the fantasy series Mortal Engines...

*salivates*
Pipitán

Postby LordLucan » Mon May 23, 2011 7:30 pm

Colonel Mustard wrote:I'll admit I'm looking forward to this a great deal, especially since I heard that Stephen Fry's narrating this.

He's narrating as well as playing the Master of Laketown? Awesome! I would have thought though Ian Holm would narrate it, because, you know, he was Bilbo too.
LordLucan

Postby Colonel Mustard » Mon May 23, 2011 8:04 pm

Oh, I meant to say acting in it, not narrating. Sorry to get your hopes up, LL.

Though him narrating it as well would be quite cool.

Pip: One day they shall rise...

I also heard rumours of Jackson getting behind a Mortal Engines adaptation, one which I wholeheartedly approve of; he seems the sort of director who could pull off the massive scale cyper/steampunk sci-fi feudal fantasy that is Mortal Engines rather well.
Colonel Mustard

Postby Athelassan » Mon May 23, 2011 8:07 pm

It'd be nice if Ian Holm put in an appearance as Bilbo at some point to retain a degree of continuity.

I'm not sure about Stephen Fry, though. I've never really had him pegged as a serious actor, and I've begun to find him nearly insufferably smug in the last couple of years.

Ath
Athelassan

Postby Squiggle » Mon May 23, 2011 9:13 pm

Pipitán wrote:On the other hand, I've seen some rumours (admittedly a while ago) suggesting that after Jackson finishes the Hobbit and Tintin, his next project will be an adaptation of the fantasy series Mortal Engines...

*salivates*

That would be awesome
If my mind's the weapon, my heart's the extra clip

Forum Moderator

@sqyiggle
Squiggle

Postby Firefox » Mon May 23, 2011 9:22 pm

I never read Mortal Engines, but a quick look at the synopsis on wikipedia tells me that it's an awful lot like Inverted World by Christopher Priest. Looks to be heavily inspired by it, at the least.
Firefox

Postby Pipitán » Mon May 23, 2011 9:51 pm

Firefox wrote:I never read Mortal Engines, but a quick look at the synopsis on wikipedia tells me that it's an awful lot like Inverted World by Christopher Priest. Looks to be heavily inspired by it, at the least.

Although I haven't read Inverted World, a quick look at the synopsis on wikipedia tells me that the only substantial similarity is the traction city idea, and the Mortal Engines series is so much more than that one conceit (and I think it is a conceit that two writers could easily have come up with independently, but we don't really have any way of knowing either way). Mortal Engines is not just about one traction city, but an entire world of them, going around literally eating each other and engaging in apocalyptic wars...

Anyhow, I would heartily recommend the series.
Pipitán

Postby Xisor » Tue May 24, 2011 5:03 pm

Pipitán wrote:
Firefox wrote:I never read Mortal Engines, but a quick look at the synopsis on wikipedia tells me that it's an awful lot like Inverted World by Christopher Priest. Looks to be heavily inspired by it, at the least.

Although I haven't read Inverted World, a quick look at the synopsis on wikipedia tells me that the only substantial similarity is the traction city idea, and the Mortal Engines series is so much more than that one conceit (and I think it is a conceit that two writers could easily have come up with independently, but we don't really have any way of knowing either way). Mortal Engines is not just about one traction city, but an entire world of them, going around literally eating each other and engaging in apocalyptic wars...

Anyhow, I would heartily recommend the series.

Sounds very Medusa, to me! (Medusa has roving tech-barbarian cities, right?) Also Ambulon on Scintilla. Nothing says 40k better than walking city!

(Upside of 40k is, I think, the only thing we don't have proper ripoffs of are Jedi. As in proper Jedi-like knights. Even the Templar Calixis aren't quite up to scratch.)
"When my housemate puts his bike in the middle of the living room floor, I find that inordinately jarring, annoying and rude, but for me to refer to it as "genocide" would be incorrect." -Ath
xisor.wordpress
Xisor's Dice-o-matic Maiminator
Xisor
Site Admin

Postby Mossy Toes » Tue May 24, 2011 6:14 pm

Xisor: well, in the first Mortal Engines book, MEDUSA...

(spoiler)

Spoiler: is the super-weapon that the traction city of London recovers, soo...

Last edited by Mossy Toes on Tue May 24, 2011 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
What sphinx of plascrete and adamantium bashed open their skulls and ate up their brains and imagination? Imperator!
Mossy Toes

Postby LordLucan » Tue May 24, 2011 6:33 pm

Xisor: 40K has used actual traction cities for the war world of Zaythe, from the Rogue Trader rulebook. Mobile hive cities with their own engineer cults, all at war with one another across a barren world.

Also, Mortal Engines is a brilliant, brilliant setting. Pip, MEDUSA is a spoiler for that book incidentally.
LordLucan

Next

Return to Board index

Return to Insanely Off Topic