Finecast Miniatures

A place to discuss all Warhammer-related background and products not explicitly connected to the Black Library.

Re: Finecast Miniatures

Postby Liliedhe » Fri Jun 03, 2011 7:46 am

Hm... I might have to get Ezzie Abaddon... It looks better than the other one and that way I have a fallback plan if I utterly mess up painting the model I have. ;)

Now they only need to make a Primarchs Line to make me happy... :mrgreen:
"You were a warleader, a fighter, when did you gain such illuminating insight into the minds of others?"
"I learned such things as you and your brothers applied brand to my flesh and parted skin with rasp and knife," snarled Astelan. "When your witches tried to prise open my mind they opened me for an instant and I stared back."
Liliedhe

Postby shadowhawk2008 » Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:02 am

"Ezzie" Abaddon eh? :mrgreen:
Shadowhawk's Shade My 40k/writing/review blog. You can check out all my reviews here.

My current fiction projects - Veergati: The Scarlet Records, an Indian space opera inspired by Star Trek.
shadowhawk2008

Location: Battle-barge Spear of Lycaeus of the Angels of Retribution

Postby Liliedhe » Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:30 am

Sure. Sue me. :P

He's Ezzie since I read Horus Rising, which, incidentally was the first Warhammer book I ever read. And I had no idea who this guy is growing up to be. ^^ I was very disappoint when I found out. :lol:
"You were a warleader, a fighter, when did you gain such illuminating insight into the minds of others?"
"I learned such things as you and your brothers applied brand to my flesh and parted skin with rasp and knife," snarled Astelan. "When your witches tried to prise open my mind they opened me for an instant and I stared back."
Liliedhe

Postby shadowhawk2008 » Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:33 am

It did provide a nice counterpoint to his 'original' image in the universe.

Sigh. I like all these new finecast models, so precious! *wishes he was still playing ga-ga-ga-ga-ga-ga*
Shadowhawk's Shade My 40k/writing/review blog. You can check out all my reviews here.

My current fiction projects - Veergati: The Scarlet Records, an Indian space opera inspired by Star Trek.
shadowhawk2008

Location: Battle-barge Spear of Lycaeus of the Angels of Retribution

Postby Boc » Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:07 pm

First two kits I picked up were the Sternguard and Techmarine w/servitors. I don't even need them for any army list I have built, but you can never have too much crap, for who knows when you'll randomly have a 20k apocalypse match to play!

Looking at maybe getting something new this weekend, though, I'm debating replacing my Assault Marine-count-as-Raptors with the real deal, simply because the real ones look fantastic and now actually balance.
Violence isn't the answer, it's the question. The answer is yes.

Check out The Heretic, Heresy-Online's Quarterly FanFiction and Art Publication. Issue 2 is out now!

Skull Reaper - An Alpha Legion Novel
Submersion - An Alpha Legion Short
Birth of Decay - A Plague Marine Short
Boc

Postby The Hillock » Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:12 pm

Boc wrote:Looking at maybe getting something new this weekend, though, I'm debating replacing my Assault Marine-count-as-Raptors with the real deal, simply because the real ones look fantastic and now actually balance.

Oooh, really? I have to say I hate the way the raptors look, imperial assault marines with different shoulder pads are definitely the way forward for The Wrath.
Probably the worst WH40k player in the world...

Hillock's terrain thread
Hillock's Flesh Tearers thread
The Hillock

Postby Mossy Toes » Fri Jun 03, 2011 6:09 pm

The Wrath wrote:
Boc wrote:Looking at maybe getting something new this weekend, though, I'm debating replacing my Assault Marine-count-as-Raptors with the real deal, simply because the real ones look fantastic and now actually balance.

Oooh, really? I have to say I hate the way the raptors look, imperial assault marines with different shoulder pads are definitely the way forward for The Wrath.
Floats:boat::horses:courses.

I think they look awesome, like Boc.
What sphinx of plascrete and adamantium bashed open their skulls and ate up their brains and imagination? Imperator!
Mossy Toes

Postby Boc » Fri Jun 03, 2011 7:14 pm

Mossy Toes wrote:
The Wrath wrote:

Floats:boat::horses:courses.

I think they look awesome, like Boc.

You just said I look awesome. Yesssss :P
Violence isn't the answer, it's the question. The answer is yes.

Check out The Heretic, Heresy-Online's Quarterly FanFiction and Art Publication. Issue 2 is out now!

Skull Reaper - An Alpha Legion Novel
Submersion - An Alpha Legion Short
Birth of Decay - A Plague Marine Short
Boc

Postby Mossy Toes » Fri Jun 03, 2011 7:19 pm

>.>

<.<

That was totally intentional. Yup. Uh-huh.
What sphinx of plascrete and adamantium bashed open their skulls and ate up their brains and imagination? Imperator!
Mossy Toes

Postby The Hillock » Wed Jun 15, 2011 5:14 pm

I think you both look awesome. On a related topic, I've just discovered I have no eyeballs. You'd think I'd have noticed that earlier, but as it turns out, no. Just now.
Probably the worst WH40k player in the world...

Hillock's terrain thread
Hillock's Flesh Tearers thread
The Hillock

Postby Raziel4707 » Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:46 am

Wayland Games not currently stocking the Finecast line.

There do seem to be a tremendous number of flaws apparent in this new line of models, and I was wondering what your experiences were. Also, what is Games Workshop's returns policy like with regard to this? I appreciate that some assembly is required and that there were always going to be mold lines and things to contend with, but the range does at least sound like it has gotten off to a shaky start on the quality control front, which seems pretty off given that GW miniatures are quite expensive.

I have no intention of starting a GW flame-war here, so please keep discussion to discussion, not vitriol. :)
Raziel4707

Postby schaferwhat‽ » Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:18 am

all I have is anecdotal evidence not of finecast but of previous times when I've had GW models with missing bits and what not (one Christmas I got a Tyrant Guard with two left feet,) my local GW just ripped open a blister and gave me a right leg and with the other they gave me a replacement model, didn't bother with proof of purchase or anything like that (I did explain it was a gift and I hadn't got around to modelling with it until the March after the christmas and they were fine).

I don't know if that was just me being lucky and dealing with a decent staffer or if GWs policy was just decent a few years ago. I've yet to buy any Finecast as of yet. I've seen big miscasts online I've also seen pictures of some which I'd not say were particularly worse than what you could've got with metal and presumable with Resin being softer would be easier to clean up.
schaferwhat‽

Postby flick » Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:49 pm

The guy at my local said he had a lot of early returns, but they seem to be allright now.
flick

Postby Vivia » Mon Oct 03, 2011 3:23 pm

Have to resurrect this thread. :P

What's people's experience with the Citadel Finecast so far?
I want a Huron Blackheart mini. The model painting from GW looks a little garish in my opinion, I will probably change it a bit (a lot). I imagined Huron's armour to be more minimalistic but he looks just like any other CM.
How well do they hold up with the glue? From my experience super-glue stinks but that's all we got.
There is nothing gay about the Princeton fight song. "Oh, the men of Princeton are charging up the rear, holding all the balls..." Okay, I hear it now. – Jack, episode Queen of Jordan
Vivia

Postby Maugan Ra » Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:32 pm

I've purchased three finecast sets since they came out - a Techmarine, a Dark Angels Captain and the Emperor's Champion. Generally speaking, I'm quite happy with them - they certainly look nice enough, and I appreciate not having to fiddle around with clunky metal parts when assembling.

Super-glue seems to work fine on them, at least for me - a quick layer of it, hold the two pieces together for a couple of seconds and you're good. I have bad memories of trying to use superglue on the metal models, and hanging around for a good few minutes, trying to hold the pieces together without attaching my fingers to the model because the metal was heavy enough to just drop off. The resin seems much nicer in that regard.
Maugan, your slow descent into madness is starting to look more like a BASE jump...
- Rahvin

The 210th Cadian - Tanks, heavy weapons, and an ongoing hatred of Land Raiders.
W: 41
D: 6
L: 14
Maugan Ra

Postby Vivia » Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:50 pm

Resin, I see (yes, that's what the info says). I haven't worked with it, have to search online on how to paint it.

I have bad experience with super-glue and metal too. A CM sorcerer without backpack because it keeps falling off, a Blood Dragon without arms, another without sword. The Oblirator seems to be just fine. I think the key is a thin layer of super-glue.
There is nothing gay about the Princeton fight song. "Oh, the men of Princeton are charging up the rear, holding all the balls..." Okay, I hear it now. – Jack, episode Queen of Jordan
Vivia

Postby Ballistichimp » Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:32 pm

I only fully constructed the Terminator Librarian model so far (but we have a few kits knocking around) and I had no trouble with it at all. The superglue put it together and has held it together fine and doing some minor conversion work to it was much easier than with metal.

I have hated metal minis for awhile though, so I was always going to like anything that removed them from the line!

:mrgreen:
It's a brilliant plan with no obvious flaws. You should do it immediately.
Ballistichimp

Postby Xisor » Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:37 pm

I tried to pop some incubi together the other day, but it was 5am and I'd been up for a long time. Went to bed in a huff and only realised later that I'd been using poly-cement rather than superglue. :oops:

I despised metal models. It irritates me I've still got a pile of metal Harlequins to put together. They're the most irritating thing on the planet. Never seem to stick, except to my fingers.

Anyway, once I dig out the superglue, I'll be having an excellent time of it, I'm sure. The Finecast moulds for the Incubi do look very nice though. They're really growing on me (didn't like them originally). I s'pect "growing on me" is much improved over "is glued to my thumb".
Admin of Ruin
"When my housemate puts his bike in the middle of the living room floor, I find that inordinately jarring, annoying and rude, but for me to refer to it as "genocide" would be incorrect." -Ath
xisor.wordpress
Xisor's Dice-o-matic Maiminator
Xisor
Site Admin

Postby Pyroriffic » Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:47 pm

Liliedhe wrote:Now they only need to make a Primarchs Line to make me happy... :mrgreen:

I have had a strange, strange day and when I saw this, the most disturbing image of the Primarchs in a conga line filled my head.

Perhaps I should have an early night.
I reject your reality and substitute it with my own.
Pyroriffic

Postby Vivia » Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:48 pm

Did a little research and watched videos etc, and it looks like the resin is a very positive thing, it takes painting very well. It feels rubbery according to to some.
At the moment I'm trying to fix a few of my metal minis, the only one with dignity is the Obli and Captain Tycho. I don't think metal takes paint that well. Resin may be the future.
Vivia

PreviousNext

Return to Board index

Return to Worlds of Warhammer