Finecast Miniatures

A place to discuss all Warhammer-related background and products not explicitly connected to the Black Library.

Re: Finecast Miniatures

Postby Colonel Mustard » Wed May 25, 2011 9:20 pm

Mossy Toes wrote:I find it funny that so many people praise GW for their luvverly line of washes, praising it as a great advancement that makes painting so much easier, etc...when it's really just the reactivation of an old line. I still have a handful of their old washes (and inks, but those were altogether far too glossy).

But yeah, the Foundation Paints are amazing. Yellow and red have never been so easy to paint.

Wait, the washes are a reboot? I thought they were new!

D: Games Workshop lied to me!
Colonel Mustard

Postby JackCrow » Wed May 25, 2011 9:50 pm

REfinecast vs. OLDcast

and there is more on other minis, if you look carefully.
One would think the PR and QC departments are shortsighted, I mean first picture you publish promoting new line of old casts, no matter; you at least invest time to check if all is alright, and the cast turned out fine.
Nope, in recession, no one cares...
Everyone compulsively buys anyway in capitalism, disposable incomes are abundant.
"For the Emperor! For Dorn and for freedom!" "Cold and fast, Soul Drinkers!"
JackCrow

Postby schaferwhat‽ » Wed May 25, 2011 9:57 pm

Colonel Mustard wrote:
Mossy Toes wrote:I find it funny that so many people praise GW for their luvverly line of washes, praising it as a great advancement that makes painting so much easier, etc...when it's really just the reactivation of an old line. I still have a handful of their old washes (and inks, but those were altogether far too glossy).

But yeah, the Foundation Paints are amazing. Yellow and red have never been so easy to paint.

Wait, the washes are a reboot? I thought they were new!

D: Games Workshop lied to me!

The old inks and washes weren't the same product to my memory (having used the old washes I had before the new ones came out), slightly different consistency, but it isn't a totally new concept they clearly just changed the make up of the product.

That miscast aside Jack, the purity seal is much much better defined in finecast.

GW PR aren't brilliant.
schaferwhat‽

Postby JackCrow » Wed May 25, 2011 10:02 pm

schaferwhat‽ wrote:
That miscast aside Jack, the purity seal is much much better defined in finecast.

GW PR aren't brilliant.

But you can be brilliant, if you only pay attention to small details.
To note also that resin molds, deteriorate with each casting, which means the previous cast will be better detailed than the next.
Which again, would create a race to grab the casts that preceded the current, until they renew the mold.

In related news:
New Tomb Kings Finecast figures on Advance orders:

Prince Apophas
Tomb Kings Necrotect
Tomb Kings Liche Priest
Tomb Kings Ushabti with Great Bows
Tomb Kings Ushabti with Great Weapons
Tomb King with Great Weapon
Tomb Kings Casket of Souls

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catal ... cat440004a
JackCrow

Postby Athelassan » Wed May 25, 2011 10:49 pm

schaferwhat‽ wrote:that side of GWs business plan went south a while back (I still have old citedal annuals where you could order specific weapon arms direct from GW, now I can't even choose what necromunder gangers I get when I order a set of them to gift my father).

The removal of that service (and the concurrent sudden unavailability of 99.9% of the Citadel/Marauder back catalogue) still makes me grind my teeth in impotent fury whenever I recall it.

Ath
Athelassan

Postby JackCrow » Wed May 25, 2011 10:58 pm

JackCrow

Postby Mossy Toes » Wed May 25, 2011 11:46 pm

Damn, that's crisp.
What sphinx of plascrete and adamantium bashed open their skulls and ate up their brains and imagination? Imperator!
Mossy Toes

Postby JackCrow » Thu May 26, 2011 9:15 pm

new issue of White Dwarf says new Fc releases will be:
The Fellowship of the Ring (Gandalf, Boromir Pippin and possibly Merry )
Harlequin Shadowseer
Commissar Yarrick
Brother-Captain Stern
Abaddon the Despoiler
Canis Wolfborn
Vampire Counts Blood Knights
Thorek Ironbrow
Gulavhar, the Terror of Arnor
Dark Eldar Archon
Tomb King w/ Great Weapon
Tyranid Zoanthrope
The Avatar of Khaine
Chaos Exalted Hero
Eldar Autach w/ Power Weapon
Dwarf Gyrocopter
Ghazghkull Thraka
Tyranid Hive Tyrant
Grimgor Ironhide
Astorath the Grim
Gandalf the White
Caradryan
Vampire Lord
Lord Kaldor Draigo
Savage Orc Great Shaman on War Boar
Goblin Spear Chukka
Wood Elf Highborn w/ Great Weapon

Tomb King Finecasts release on June 11th, look on GW's advance orders section for WH.

June 18th:
Haemonculus
Grotesque
Dark Eldar Wracks
JackCrow

Postby Falkenhayn » Fri May 27, 2011 2:12 am

I can't wait to see the Avatar of Khaine and Thraka in finecast!

As for Lord Kaldor Draigo... it's basically just the same cheesy guy in high def.
Falkenhayn

Postby Raziel4707 » Fri May 27, 2011 8:14 am

schaferwhat‽ wrote:
Raziel4707 wrote:Chaplain with Jump-Pack £10.50? hellz yeah! And £36 for Calgar is nothing to anyone who has ever had to stick the metal bugger together.

I'm presuming that is a redo of the full on "Calgar with honour guard" set which is thirty quid at the moment rather than the single ten pound model. (which may be an issue with being stuck with buying the full set when you want one model but there are internet retailers who break stuff up for sales and that side of GWs business plan went south a while back (I still have old citedal annuals where you could order specific weapon arms direct from GW, now I can't even choose what necromunder gangers I get when I order a set of them to gift my father).

Indeed! Although if they did just Calgar on his own, complete with the armour of antilochus, I'd be even happier. I'd feel a little more guilty about removing every single Ultramarines' symbol from a finecast model, but I'd learn to live with it. :twisted:
Raziel4707

Postby Tyrant » Fri May 27, 2011 9:34 am

JackCrow wrote:new issue of White Dwarf says new Fc releases will be:
The Fellowship of the Ring (Gandalf, Boromir Pippin and possibly Merry )
Harlequin Shadowseer
Commissar Yarrick
Brother-Captain Stern
Abaddon the Despoiler
Canis Wolfborn
Vampire Counts Blood Knights
Thorek Ironbrow
Gulavhar, the Terror of Arnor
Dark Eldar Archon
Tomb King w/ Great Weapon
Tyranid Zoanthrope
The Avatar of Khaine
Chaos Exalted Hero
Eldar Autach w/ Power Weapon
Dwarf Gyrocopter
Ghazghkull Thraka
Tyranid Hive Tyrant
Grimgor Ironhide
Astorath the Grim
Gandalf the White
Caradryan
Vampire Lord
Lord Kaldor Draigo
Savage Orc Great Shaman on War Boar
Goblin Spear Chukka
Wood Elf Highborn w/ Great Weapon

Tomb King Finecasts release on June 11th, look on GW's advance orders section for WH.

June 18th:
Haemonculus
Grotesque
Dark Eldar Wracks

Is that all of them? There seem to be a few races missing off that list..... *cough*Tau*cough*
My Facebook writing page. Like it, it's awesome!

My Twitter page.

Cytheria

Valerion

I think Valerion could stand toe-to-toe with the best of Gaunt's Ghosts. I loved it. Gundi Da Grot

The sense of threat that permeates the entire piece is fantastic. xrayex

Tash'shi is made of win and awesome. Raziel4707
Tyrant

Postby Raziel4707 » Fri May 27, 2011 10:31 am

New Fine-cast Tau transport still in production.

Raziel4707

Postby Tyrant » Fri May 27, 2011 10:35 am

Raziel4707 wrote:New Fine-cast Tau transport still in production.

Racist.
My Facebook writing page. Like it, it's awesome!

My Twitter page.

Cytheria

Valerion

I think Valerion could stand toe-to-toe with the best of Gaunt's Ghosts. I loved it. Gundi Da Grot

The sense of threat that permeates the entire piece is fantastic. xrayex

Tash'shi is made of win and awesome. Raziel4707
Tyrant

Postby schaferwhat‽ » Fri May 27, 2011 10:48 am

there are 120 sets on the opening day, many aren't being announced ahead of time. (I'm sure I was told 120 the other day) then there are the DE and TK advance orders ontop of that.

That said do the Tau have any models which'll be the dogs bits in finecast? are battle suits metals or plastics? If metals I assume they'd be finecasted sooner or later, depends I suppose on when the revamp of the range and the new dex is coming. If they're being rereleased within the next 12 months then it might be worthwhile to hold fire on making new moulds for models which will be phased out soon.
schaferwhat‽

Postby Jeff_Preston » Fri May 27, 2011 4:10 pm

Plastics are my fave, hands down. For painting, converting, collecting, holding in my chubby fingers...all of it. Nothing frustrates me more than metal I have so lovingly assembled, drilling and pinning, gluing (often several times) and picking out the cat hairs...then dropping it and busting it all up. Serious nerd-rage.

Resin is assembled the same way (superglue) which I'm not thrilled about (I really love plastics/ plastic cement) but the overall mass of the figures will be less than white metal, so maybe they won't necessarily break apart. Maybe. Resin is more fragile. The only real gain on resin, for the consumer is the fine detail you can get with resin, which is better than metal OR plastic. Resin is slightly cheaper to manufacture but there's wastage concerns so that (resin vs metal cost to mfr.) largely zeroes out. Resin is lighter, so shipping will be considerably cheaper, and resin is largely based on oil same as plastics instead of tin, which is getting ridiculously expensive.

My main concern is over quality. While Forge World makes beautiful models, I haven't gotten one yet that didn't need thermo-forming either by hairdryer or hot water. It's an annoyance more than anything. Of course resin, even more than plastics should be rinsed off/ cleaned before assembly due to the release agents used in the casting process (they are greasy and makes it harder for primer to stick to). Still...metals are usually a matter of a bit of careful bending and they are good to go. Resin tends to be more fragile so snapping off parts is a very real concern.

The price hike is pretty standard. GW has done so annually forever as far as I know. Probably always will. I've got nothing really to say on that except that it's normal. People will complain and either suck it up and keep buying or go off and play Warmachine (or Malifaux :)

In the end I don't think there is anything skeevy about any of this. It's a major billion pound corporation keeping an eye on the bottom line. There will be fan turnover, there always is. In the end GW cares about making cool toys and staying in business, and I'm ok with that. GW is the cornerstone of the entire wargames industry: as they do, so does Privateer Press and every other smaller publisher/ Mfr. As long as GW stays strong, the hobby stays strong, and that is a good thing in my book. If GW were to tank it, it would damage the entire industry. There's no other company within an order of magnitude to take up that slack. We like to think 'Yeah, **** GW, I'll play Warmachine instead!" but really PP is small potatoes next to GW. Take a gander at the corporations, the stock sheet, ine number of people employed...and the staff that leaves to form other companies.

Think for a moment of how many Ex-GW staffers are now working for other, smaller minis companies. How many started their own? If it weren't for GW, those small outfits wouldn't exist as the people that started them would have never had a chance to become who they are, trained gamesmen with honed gaming skills to make the industry as a whole grow.

GW to many is the public face and the introduction of most folks in to wargaming. For good or ill. It's a gateway drug.

I for one love the overall wargaming hobby, toy soldiers and games. So I while I may be able to afford fewer GW products as the years go by, I still understand the big picture. Same on the RPG side. Wizards of the Coast may be the Evil Empire destroying my beloved D&D and turning it in to a crap kids game...it still is the gateway drug to the RPG world.

Cheerio!
JP
Jeff_Preston

Postby Jeff_Preston » Fri May 27, 2011 5:50 pm

This just out on Finecast and it deals with many of the quality, weight, assembly, safety issues. Good stuff. http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/conte ... =16800012a
Jeff_Preston

Postby Colonel Mustard » Fri May 27, 2011 6:07 pm

Wow, those actually look pretty cool; I might just get a resin Skulltaker so my conversion of him on a rearing Juggernaut actually stays on. That would be very nice.
Colonel Mustard

Postby Raziel4707 » Fri May 27, 2011 6:15 pm

Man, I'm sold on the idea. Yeah, sure, expensive, but we're talking about what amounts to pieces of functional art. the detail on skulltaker is incredible. Can't WAIT to see some spez mahreenz!
Raziel4707

Postby Raziel4707 » Sat May 28, 2011 7:54 am

Tyrant wrote:Is that all of them? There seem to be a few races missing off that list..... *cough*Tau*cough*

Ethereal with honour blade

Tau Sniper Drone Team

Hmm. Not gone on the Tau ones tbh, mainly because both the models they've realeased don't really have that much detail to show. The ethereal's face is kinda featureless (because he's tau) and the rest is robes. Same with tau machinery, it's kinda flat by deisgn. Still the range that is out is BRILLIANT!

SKULLTAKER £14.50
ABADDON $14.50
HURON BLACKHEART £10.50
NURGLE DAEMON PRINCE £21.50
CSM RAPTORS £25.50
PLAGUE MARINES £25.50
DARK ELDAR ARCHON £9.50
LILITH HESPERAX £10.50
URIEN RAKARTH £10.50
SUCCUBUS £9.50
INCUBI £23.00
MANDRAKES £20.50
ELDAR AUTARCH £10.50
FARSEER + WARLOCKS £20.50
ELDAR RANGERS £20.50
DARK REAPERS £23.00
STRIKING SCORPIONS £23.00
HARLEQUIN DEATH JESTER £10.50
HARLEQUIN SHADOWSEER £10.50
KALDOR DRAGO £14.50
BROTHER CAPTAIN STERN £14.50
CASTELLAN CROWE £10.50
INQUISITOR CORTEAZ £10.50
COMMISSAR YARRICK £10.50
IMPERIAL GUARD LORD COMMISSAR £9.50
GHAZGHKULL THRAKA £22.50
ORK WARBOSS WITH ATTACK SQUIG £14.50
ORK BIG MEKK £14.50
BIG MEKK WITH SHOKK ATTACK GUN £23.00
ORK PAINBOY WITH GROT ORDERLY £10.50
BOSS ZAGSTRUK £14.50
ORK TANK BUSTAS £25.50
COMMANDER DANTE £10.50
ASTEROTH THE GRIM £12.50
THE EMPEROR'S CHAMPION £9.50
BLACK TEMPLARS SWORD BRETHREN SQUAD £25.50
DARK ANGELS COMPANY MASTER £10.50
SPACE MARINE CHAPLAIN WITH JUMP PACK £10.50
MARNEUS CALGAR WITH HONOUR GUARD £36.00
SPACE MARINE LIBRAIAN IN TERMINATOR ARMOUR £14.50
SPACE MARINE TECH-MARINE WITH SERVITORS £25.50
SPACE MARINE STERNGUARD VETERAN SQUAD £25.50
SPACE MARINE VANGUARD SQUAD £25.50
LOGAN GRIMNAR £14.50
NJAL STORMCALLER £14.50
CANIS WOLFBORN £30.00
TAU ETHEREAL WITH HONOUR BLADE £9.50
TAU SNIPER DRONE SQUAD £23.00
TYRANID HIVE TYRANT £36.00
TYRANID TYRANT GUARD £15.50
TYRANID HIVE GUARD £15.50
ZOANTHROPE £15.50
LICTOR £15.50
BROODLORD £15.50
PYROVORE £21.50

And that's just 40K.
Raziel4707

Postby Mossy Toes » Sat May 28, 2011 8:11 am

Yay! Lightweight, non-top-heavy Raptors!

...hmm, Plague Marines too? That might end up being the first actual Finecast kit I get....
What sphinx of plascrete and adamantium bashed open their skulls and ate up their brains and imagination? Imperator!
Mossy Toes

PreviousNext

Return to Board index

Return to Worlds of Warhammer