Finecast Miniatures

A place to discuss all Warhammer-related background and products not explicitly connected to the Black Library.

Finecast Miniatures

Postby Tyrant » Mon May 23, 2011 3:58 pm

My Facebook writing page. Like it, it's awesome!

My Twitter page.

Cytheria

Valerion

I think Valerion could stand toe-to-toe with the best of Gaunt's Ghosts. I loved it. Gundi Da Grot

The sense of threat that permeates the entire piece is fantastic. xrayex

Tash'shi is made of win and awesome. Raziel4707
Tyrant

Re: Finecast Miniatures

Postby Ballistichimp » Mon May 23, 2011 4:15 pm

See, I find metal miniatures utterly hateful to put together and then keep together and then repair because they've inevitably fallen apart and then repaint the damaged areas and ...

You get my point.

I have always found metals to be a pain in the hole, so the double cool of not having metal and thus a more stress-free building experience and a much cleaner, well cast miniature is pretty sweet as far as I'm concerned. In particular, the large, multi-part models are going to be so much better (Shokk Attack Gun anybody?) to put together!

You have to pay an extra couple of quid for the quality, but I'm fine with that :)
It's a brilliant plan with no obvious flaws. You should do it immediately.
Ballistichimp

Postby LordLucan » Mon May 23, 2011 4:57 pm

I hate plastic models for painting, so this is ideal for me. Weee!
Check out my debut fantasy novel from Fox Spirit Books, The Hobgoblin's Herald (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hobgoblins-Herald-R-Aston/dp/1910462047). If you've read it, please rate and review it on amazon; I'd be eternally grateful. The sequel, Eater of Names, is out in 2018, so watch this space.
LordLucan

Postby Phalanx » Mon May 23, 2011 5:29 pm

Ballistichimp wrote:You have to pay an extra couple of quid for the quality, but I'm fine with that :)

I wish it was ONLY an extra couple of quid. Have you SEEN the prices? Not good!
"There is an impothter among uth, and he touched my ath!"
ChrisDamico.co.uk
Phalanx

Postby Ballistichimp » Mon May 23, 2011 5:37 pm

I didn't think the Finecast prices had been released yet?

I can't see them on the website anyway :geek:
Ballistichimp

Postby Phalanx » Mon May 23, 2011 5:49 pm

They were leaked on other sites. I don't want to get in trouble posting them here.
ChrisDamico.co.uk
Phalanx

Postby Ballistichimp » Mon May 23, 2011 6:16 pm

That said, those miniatures that are getting the Finecast treatment are the big kits from Warhammer and the Specials/Big HQ choices from 40k which really you only need one of for your army.

The Orks are a good example - I would have been much happier to pay more for the Ghazghkull Thraka model (the little'un has an Ork army) in Finecast resin and have it go together easily, cleanly and have it stay that way. The metal kit was an absolute arse to put together and fell to bits about two days after he painted it and will not go back together again without extensive drilling and greenstuff work.

The same is true of the Shokk Attack Gun, which is a truly awful metal kit. Again, I'd be happy to pay more for the same reason.

On a more personal note, I'm the opposite to LL, I much prefer the plastic kits for painting because I can paint them in partially constructed bits and then assemble them afterward. Metals have too many inaccessible nooks and crannies.

I am slightly OCD with my painting. ;)
Ballistichimp

Postby Tyrant » Mon May 23, 2011 6:38 pm

I must admit that the Abaddon the Failer model looks pretty damn good.

My Twitter page.

Cytheria

Valerion

I think Valerion could stand toe-to-toe with the best of Gaunt's Ghosts. I loved it. Gundi Da Grot

Tyrant

Postby Colonel Mustard » Mon May 23, 2011 8:02 pm

Soooooo pretty...

I'll admit I hate metal models with a vengeance (my model of Skulltaker is a good example of this, especially as he's converted to sit atop a Bloodcrusher), as they're abominably fiddly and tend to fall apart at a moment's notice. Not only this, but these models do look rather fantastic. I'll wait and see what the price is like though.
Colonel Mustard

Postby LordLucan » Mon May 23, 2011 8:36 pm

I think I'm the only guy who likes metal models. I have a bloody Witchhunter force. They ONLY have metal models!
Check out my debut fantasy novel from Fox Spirit Books, The Hobgoblin's Herald (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hobgoblins-Herald-R-Aston/dp/1910462047). If you've read it, please rate and review it on amazon; I'd be eternally grateful. The sequel, Eater of Names, is out in 2018, so watch this space.
LordLucan

Postby shadowhawk2008 » Mon May 23, 2011 8:50 pm

LordLucan wrote:I think I'm the only guy who likes metal models. I have a bloody Witchhunter force. They ONLY have metal models!

Don't you wish it wasn't so? :lol:
Shadowhawk's Shade My 40k/writing/review blog. You can check out all my reviews here.

My current fiction projects - Veergati: The Scarlet Records, an Indian space opera inspired by Star Trek.
shadowhawk2008

Location: Battle-barge Spear of Lycaeus of the Angels of Retribution

Postby LordLucan » Mon May 23, 2011 9:08 pm

shadowhawk2008 wrote:
LordLucan wrote:I think I'm the only guy who likes metal models. I have a bloody Witchhunter force. They ONLY have metal models!

Don't you wish it wasn't so? :lol:

Not really. I paint metal models better.
LordLucan

Postby Athelassan » Mon May 23, 2011 9:46 pm

I prefer metal models over plastic. Apart from anything else, at the price you pay, it's nice to have an object that actually feels like it might be worth something. They also don't tend to break/snap as easily. Metal models also add a degree of variety to units and characters. After a while a 3000 point plastic army assembled without serious imagination starts to look a bit "attack of the clones".

I'm wary of the switch to resin. Resin isn't any easier to model than metal, imo- it's more of a pain in the neck to prepare and glue, and the dust isn't exactly good for you if you need to file it down. It's much more fragile than metal and has a tendency to shatter and not just snap, which means it can't be repaired. And the prices I've seen for the "new" range are just ridiculous, although afaik they haven't been officially released yet.

Ath
Athelassan

Postby Raziel4707 » Mon May 23, 2011 10:44 pm

I hate my Marneus Calgar model to the degre that I've thrown and squashed him, more than once. he's so ungainly, doesn't fit well and is just a plain old beeyatch to construct. if I can afford the resin one, I might just consign him to the bin.
Raziel4707

Postby flick » Tue May 24, 2011 12:51 am

I straight up can't afford the models allready, what's the damage with the price increase?

*edit* Aw hell, who am I kidding, I'll probably sell my food stamps.
flick

Postby Falkenhayn » Tue May 24, 2011 1:56 am

Metal is better for painting and holding in your chubby fingers.
Plastic is better for practically everything else.

Having assembled a 5000kg metal Slann on a palanquin, I am looking forward to high quality centerpieces.
Since miniatures are very expensive, I'm curious to see the price tag on these new gorgeous models. Too bad everyone is too wimpy to post actual prices! :lol:
Falkenhayn

Postby Tyrant » Tue May 24, 2011 8:46 am

Falkenhayn wrote:Metal is better for painting and holding in your chubby fingers.
Plastic is better for practically everything else.

Having assembled a 5000kg metal Slann on a palanquin, I am looking forward to high quality centerpieces.
Since miniatures are very expensive, I'm curious to see the price tag on these new gorgeous models. Too bad everyone is too wimpy to post actual prices! :lol:

Your Slann weighed five metric tonnes?! That's an impressive centrepiece for your army and no mistake!

My Twitter page.

Cytheria

Valerion

Tyrant

Postby schaferwhat‽ » Tue May 24, 2011 10:21 am

are these unofficial leaked prices so high in light of all GW prices going up soon?

They're calling it "finecast" I think the implication is that it is a premium product for an already premium product based thang. It's like pickling all gormet food in vintage champagne to make it even fancier.

Whilst I understand Ath's psychosematic (I win at spelling wrong) take on metal, I like plastics I find them easier to model with and convert and do the kitbashing with.Metal with plastic doesn't work so well and metal is a bit costly.

Are they actually going to phase out the models that are being finecasted from the standardcast range? That'd be annoying though understandable. Ultimately I think it's probably past time that GW phased in some of the fancier/costlier stuff into the stores again as they're probably have healthier profit margins on finecast sales than anything else.

Ultimately I'm not judging on pictures and rumours on the internet, when I go into a shop see the costs, spend the money, build the model and then paint it a bit before losing interest because I can't paint for toffee I will come back to you with my judgement.

Edit:
It is terrible that they haven't offered pictures of the full range with their big announcement though. Sometimes I fear for the well being of the GW marketting folk cos they occassionally don't seem so bright.
schaferwhat‽

Postby Phalanx » Tue May 24, 2011 10:41 am

The leaked prices were direct from retailers, given to them by GW themselves.
ChrisDamico.co.uk
Phalanx

Postby schaferwhat‽ » Tue May 24, 2011 11:23 am

Phalanx wrote:The leaked prices were direct from retailers, given to them by GW themselves.

so says the internet.
schaferwhat‽

Next

Return to Board index

Return to Worlds of Warhammer