New BL Artwork

Considering Black Library books, products and events.

Re: New BL Artwork

Postby flick » Fri Jul 18, 2014 1:03 am

Lord of the Night wrote:Cover art for The Purge has been released;

Lorgar looks pretty good there, and I love the tagline; Behind a Loyal Mask. I could finish that thought; Behind a loyal mask, lies the face of a traitor.

LotN

Looks way too small to be a Primarch. I'm assuming that is Erebus or someone equally dastardly...I'm guessing too, it's about the WB's purging their own ranks of men they assumed wouldn't 'See the light'.

It's a good thing that we already know that they had amazing speech/debate skills, because your average WB is a fundamentalist, and for them to convince them that the Emp has betrayed them, must of taken amazing skill.
flick

Postby Lord of the Night » Sat Aug 09, 2014 5:55 pm

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/5 ... SY445_.jpg

Yet more proof that it is impossible for Azhek Ahriman to look anything less than badass whenever he is depicted.

LotN
http://www.talkwargaming.com/search/lab ... %20Reviews - Black Library Reviews by Lord of the Night@Talk Wargaming
Lord of the Night

Postby Fenris » Sun Aug 10, 2014 1:26 am

There is also a preview of the next gaunt ghosts' book cover inside one of the BL blogs of this week

Too sleepy right now to search and post it,but it's there :lol:
Thrusting his thunder hammer into the sky, he shouted—so that all could hear "Primarch.Progenitor, to your glory!"
"And to the glory of Him on Earth!" his brothers bellowed in response
-
A knight is sworn to valor. His heart knows only virtue. His blade defends the helpless. His word speaks only truth. His wrath undoes the wicked
Fenris

Postby Dorian » Mon Aug 11, 2014 4:08 pm

Lord of the Night wrote:http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51kOUFcVthL._SY445_.jpg

Yet more proof that it is impossible for Azhek Ahriman to look anything less than badass whenever he is depicted.

LotN

Ain't that the truth. He's one of my top 3 favourite "traitor" characters. Such a shame we'll have to wait until December for the book. :(
Wyrd bið ful aræd.

We've been looking for the enemy for some time now. We've finally found him. We're surrounded. That simplifies things.

If the world is at peace then it means someone is planning war.
Dorian

Postby Vivia » Thu Aug 14, 2014 1:06 am

He will smite his enemies with his book, an evil Harry Potty. Librarian attacks! But seriously, the artwork for his series are lovely, I still keep his image on my desktop, the colours are wonderful.I wish more of the art kept closer to the swing and groove of 40k.
There is nothing gay about the Princeton fight song. "Oh, the men of Princeton are charging up the rear, holding all the balls..." Okay, I hear it now. – Jack, episode Queen of Jordan
Vivia

Postby Fenris » Mon Aug 25, 2014 4:10 pm

I don't think this was seen before,or at least i totally missed it
Thrusting his thunder hammer into the sky, he shouted—so that all could hear "Primarch.Progenitor, to your glory!"
-
A knight is sworn to valor. His heart knows only virtue. His blade defends the helpless. His word speaks only truth. His wrath undoes the wicked
Fenris

Postby Athelassan » Mon Aug 25, 2014 5:04 pm

It's actually happening?!

HALLELUJAH

Ath
Athelassan

Postby shadowhawk2008 » Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:37 am

Interesting cover. I like it.
Shadowhawk's Shade My 40k/writing/review blog. You can check out all my reviews here.

My current fiction projects - Veergati: The Scarlet Records, an Indian space opera inspired by Star Trek.
shadowhawk2008

Location: Battle-barge Spear of Lycaeus of the Angels of Retribution

Postby Fenris » Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:43 pm

There is a free wallpaper pack of this on today's blog post @ bl site
-
Fenris

Postby Vivia » Sat Sep 20, 2014 11:18 am

Not sure if this goes here.

The Night Lords omnibus is finally available, which I'm really happy about it because the print of Blood Reaver sold out.
But...
It has one of THE worst BL covers, if not the worst, it's just so bad, I'm not going to dissect its awfulness but the disproportions are among its many flaws, lollipop CSM etc.
What is mystifying is that the Night Lords were sold out and was written by a best-selling author, you would think BL should have tried a bit harder. I truly hope this isn't a trend as the Word Bearers omni had a Creepy Uncle version of a Chaos Marine, I love Clint Langley but this wasn't his finest hour.

https://www.adlibris.com/se/sok?q=night+lords%3A+the+omnibus

Edit: There is another version? I'm confused. Maybe they tried to fix it.
There is nothing gay about the Princeton fight song. "Oh, the men of Princeton are charging up the rear, holding all the balls..." Okay, I hear it now. – Jack, episode Queen of Jordan
Vivia

Postby Death Nikorps » Sat Sep 20, 2014 11:34 am

The omnibus was released on May. (!)

http://www.blacklibrary.com/warhammer-4 ... ibus_.html

This awful cover was before the release, and was changed after everybody said: OH NO !!

:)
All new Black Library titles & covers here:

===> https://twitter.com/blacklibrarium <===

Black Library upcoming books 2018
;)
Death Nikorps

Postby Vivia » Sat Sep 20, 2014 12:06 pm

:lol:
That's hilarious!
But then Ad Libris has the old print because the ISBN is totally different from the version on the BL shop, though Bokus.com has the new cover for the same price. Thank the gods I went to look at the site or I would have bought the ugly cover. I'm still a bit unsure, I'll mail Ad Libris to ask just to be sure. No ugly here.

Actually, now that you mention it I have seen the omni before, it just slipped my mind as usual.
Vivia

Postby Pyroriffic » Wed Sep 24, 2014 7:56 am

I do feel that my pretty dual-wielding Silver Skull sergeant deserves an appearance... :)

I reject your reality and substitute it with my own.
Pyroriffic

Postby revelation » Wed Sep 24, 2014 9:39 am

It's a great cover. :)
revelation

Postby Vivia » Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:30 pm

Lovely art. I'm really curious about the storm surrounding the Skullie.
Vivia

Postby Phoebus » Thu Oct 16, 2014 11:55 pm

Pyroriffic wrote:I do feel that my pretty dual-wielding Silver Skull sergeant deserves an appearance... :)

I'm excited for the book, Pyro, but I'm not so thrilled by the cover. I hate to sound negative toward the artist, who undoubtedly worked hard on this cover, but I'm just not in favor of the more "cartoonish" style that has graced covers such as this, "Sagas of the Wolf", "There Is Only War", etc.

I don't know, maybe I'm just a hard customer to please. Looking back on recent Black Library releases, I have to go back to "Blood on the Mountain" (for a "portrait" cover) or "In the Depths of Hades" (for an action shot; and even then, I think that image was originally in Codex!) to find a cover that did its book justice.

Sorry to come off so negative! My intent is not to project on to your own work, Pyro!
"And where is the prince who can afford so to cover his country with troops for its defense as that ten thousand men descending from the clouds might not in many places do an infinite deal of mischief before a force could be brought together to repel them?"
-- Benjamin Franklin
Phoebus

Postby revelation » Fri Oct 17, 2014 2:46 am

No, you're not a hard customer to please. You just don't like this particular artist's style like you said. It doesn't mean it's bad art obviously.

I personally liked Fowler's art in the first edition of Rebirth a lot, but for some reason in those particular pieces the cartoonishness was less pronounced.
revelation

Postby Phoebus » Sat Oct 18, 2014 6:44 am

At the risk of going too far, do I think it's bad art? No. I do, however, feel that it's easily lower in overall quality to, say, the cover of The Purge, above. It's apropos, IMHO, for covers of a comic book series (think "Damnation Crusade"), whereas I think Sarah deserves the Gildar Rift treatment. :)
"And where is the prince who can afford so to cover his country with troops for its defense as that ten thousand men descending from the clouds might not in many places do an infinite deal of mischief before a force could be brought together to repel them?"
-- Benjamin Franklin
Phoebus

Postby revelation » Sat Oct 18, 2014 9:48 am

The cover of Purge is really nice, no arguing that, but it's also a completely different style.

Saying that you think something is better or worse based solely on your like or dislike of a certain "style" is imo a mistake. You may not normally be into a certain style of music for instance, but I doubt you'd then say that all songs representing that style are terrible or worse than all other songs of another genre that you happen to gravitate to.

Comic bookish/cartoonish artwork has it's place, just like more detailed "realistic" art has a place too. Having said that, I'm in your boat. As far as artists that have done BL artwork go, I prefer Neil Roberts' realism or Jon Sullivan's abstractness as opposed to Cheoljoo Lee's or Hardy Fowler's more cartoonish style, but I don't think one is inherently better than the other.

Anyways, whatever which.
revelation

Postby Pyroriffic » Sat Oct 18, 2014 5:06 pm

Phoebus wrote:
Sorry to come off so negative! My intent is not to project on to your own work, Pyro!

Not received that way at all. Each to their own and I like it. I am biased, though. :)
I reject your reality and substitute it with my own.
Pyroriffic

PreviousNext

Return to Board index

Return to Black Library - Products and Events