William King

Considering Black Library books, products and events.

William King

Postby shadowhawk2008 » Fri May 13, 2011 8:58 am

http://civilian-reader.blogspot.com/201 ... or-of.html

An interesting and enjoyable interview with William King who brought us the original Gotrek & Felix and Ragnar Blackmane.

The most awesome bit of news there for 40k buffs: He is writing a trilogy about the Macharian Crusade. WHOOOOOOOOOOOOP!!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Shadowhawk's Shade My 40k/writing/review blog. You can check out all my reviews here.

My current fiction projects - Veergati: The Scarlet Records, an Indian space opera inspired by Star Trek.
shadowhawk2008

Location: Battle-barge Spear of Lycaeus of the Angels of Retribution

Re: William King

Postby Viking Phil » Fri May 13, 2011 11:18 am

A very interesting read.
I'm especially intrigued by the section where Mr. King states that he isn't thrilled about the fact that Nathan Long has taken over writing Felix And Gotrek.
But as he rightly says, BL would have been very crazy to let two such popular (and lucrative!) characters lie stagnant.
Maybe he should have killed them off at the end of Giantslayer if he didn't want other authors tackling his creations.
Having said that, I do enjoy Mr. Longs take on the Slayer and his henchman.
I'd be very interested in reading the Macharian trilogy when it surfaces.
IIRC Bill Kings only other 40K book was Farseer which I didn't really enjoy too much. I found it a bit slow at times.
Outgunned, outnumbered, though never outclassed.
Viking Phil

Postby Phalanx » Fri May 13, 2011 11:24 am

He wrote the Space Wolf series.
"There is an impothter among uth, and he touched my ath!"
ChrisDamico.co.uk
Phalanx

Postby shadowhawk2008 » Fri May 13, 2011 11:39 am

Viking Phil wrote:A very interesting read.
I'm especially intrigued by the section where Mr. King states that he isn't thrilled about the fact that Nathan Long has taken over writing Felix And Gotrek.
But as he rightly says, BL would have been very crazy to let two such popular (and lucrative!) characters lie stagnant.
Maybe he should have killed them off at the end of Giantslayer if he didn't want other authors tackling his creations.
Having said that, I do enjoy Mr. Longs take on the Slayer and his henchman.
I'd be very interested in reading the Macharian trilogy when it surfaces.
IIRC Bill Kings only other 40K book was Farseer which I didn't really enjoy too much. I found it a bit slow at times.

Perhaps he intended to come back and write some more but had to quit for whatever reason? Its slightly weird that the interviewer didn't ask him about the Space Wolf series. The two novels after Wolfblade are just not right. At times they break the background in a dozen pieces or the plots are just odd. The books are so-so but could really have been so much greater.

I sincerely wish that BL asks him to continue Ragnar's tale. It is high time that we are told how Ragnar really becomes a Wolf Lord.

Phalanx wrote:He wrote the Space Wolf series.

Indeed. Four awesome books that I have re-read a dozen times :)
Shadowhawk's Shade My 40k/writing/review blog. You can check out all my reviews here.

My current fiction projects - Veergati: The Scarlet Records, an Indian space opera inspired by Star Trek.
shadowhawk2008

Postby schaferwhat‽ » Fri May 13, 2011 12:10 pm

personally I didn't read it as an attack on Long merely that as someone who invested so much into the characters the thought of someone else playing with them isn't one that appeals to him.
schaferwhat‽

Postby Dorian » Mon May 16, 2011 6:37 pm

shadowhawk2008 wrote:I sincerely wish that BL asks him to continue Ragnar's tale. It is high time that we are told how Ragnar really becomes a Wolf Lord.

Phalanx wrote:He wrote the Space Wolf series.

Indeed. Four awesome books that I have re-read a dozen times :)

I also want to know how Ragnar became Wolf Lord. The first Space Wolf Omnibus started my love for the Warhammer universe and Ragnar is still one of my favourite characters.

Haha, same here.
Wyrd bið ful aræd.

We've been looking for the enemy for some time now. We've finally found him. We're surrounded. That simplifies things.

If the world is at peace then it means someone is planning war.
Dorian

Postby shadowhawk2008 » Mon May 16, 2011 6:40 pm

By the Emperor! If William King doesn't do it, I will!!!!!

Yeah right :lol:

Makes me wonder though. With Mr. King out of the Space Wolf series, and Lee Lightner only writing two books ages ago, where does BL see the series really going?

Have people submitted any pitches about Ragnar?

Outside of the Gaunt books and the HH series, the Space Wolf series is the longest one is it not?

shadowhawk2008

Postby Phalanx » Mon May 16, 2011 6:41 pm

shadowhawk2008 wrote:Outside of the Gaunt books and the HH series, the Space Wolf series is the longest one is it not?

Ciaphas Cain & Soul Drinkers.
ChrisDamico.co.uk
Phalanx

Postby shadowhawk2008 » Mon May 16, 2011 6:56 pm

Phalanx wrote:
shadowhawk2008 wrote:Outside of the Gaunt books and the HH series, the Space Wolf series is the longest one is it not?

Ciaphas Cain & Soul Drinkers.

Soul Drinkers is only 5 books though isn't it? The omnibus plus two more novels?

shadowhawk2008

Postby Phalanx » Mon May 16, 2011 6:59 pm

Phalanx is also written, and being played out in H&B.
ChrisDamico.co.uk
Phalanx

Postby shadowhawk2008 » Mon May 16, 2011 7:01 pm

Phalanx wrote:Phalanx is also written, and being played out in H&B.

Ah yes, good point :)

shadowhawk2008

Postby Commander Shadow » Mon May 16, 2011 7:37 pm

YES! MACHARIAN CRUSADE!!!

and by someone William King!
- And there arose from the abyss a terrible beast and the armies of man were laid low by the walls of the ancient city. The ground shook and the skies trembled and all knew as the beast had come forth and that the end of time was upon them.

"Shadow is always right, except when he tries to save his men from charging orks" - Ang
Commander Shadow

Postby shadowhawk2008 » Mon May 16, 2011 7:43 pm

Commander Shadow wrote:YES! MACHARIAN CRUSADE!!!

Don't tell me you don't know William King!!!

*fanboi voice* William King and Grey Hunter were my very first introduction to Warhammer 40,000 and they beat Dan Abnett and First And Only by about a week :)

The SW novels are some of the best to come out of BLP imo.

shadowhawk2008

Postby flick » Mon May 16, 2011 8:08 pm

I loved the first few Gotrex books, but I thought the Ragnar series was pretty terrible.
flick

Postby shadowhawk2008 » Mon May 16, 2011 8:10 pm

flick wrote:I loved the first few Gotrex books, but I thought the Ragnar series was pretty terrible.

Chainswords at dawn, arrogant whelp! You dare suggest that Wolf Lord Ragnar is terrible! His deeds are mighty, his feats legendary!

shadowhawk2008

Postby flick » Mon May 16, 2011 9:42 pm

They are great starter books, but the whole series seem to make the space wolves, look like comical space vikings.
flick

Postby Commander Shadow » Tue May 17, 2011 12:27 am

shadowhawk2008 wrote:
Commander Shadow wrote:YES! MACHARIAN CRUSADE!!!

Don't tell me you don't know William King!!!

*fanboi voice* William King and Grey Hunter were my very first introduction to Warhammer 40,000 and they beat Dan Abnett and First And Only by about a week :)

some improper word placings on my part :( I meant that in an OMG-The-Gotrek-and-Felix-Writer-Guy!

loved those books, apart from burning shore they remain my favorite warhammer fantasy books (partly because he doesnt make everything seem like its "part of the game" [not sure how else] to say that
- And there arose from the abyss a terrible beast and the armies of man were laid low by the walls of the ancient city. The ground shook and the skies trembled and all knew as the beast had come forth and that the end of time was upon them.

"Shadow is always right, except when he tries to save his men from charging orks" - Ang
Commander Shadow

Postby Viking Phil » Tue May 17, 2011 3:52 pm

Mr. King did indeed write the Space Wolf series. You are quite correct and I feel very, very foolish!

Could someone tell me how to do that quote thingy? I know that I really should know these things at my age, but I'm such a Luddite!
Outgunned, outnumbered, though never outclassed.
Viking Phil

Postby shadowhawk2008 » Tue May 17, 2011 7:24 pm

Viking Phil wrote:Mr. King did indeed write the Space Wolf series. You are quite correct and I feel very, very foolish!

Could someone tell me how to do that quote thingy? I know that I really should know these things at my age, but I'm such a Luddite!

Right opposite the thread title in a post is the quote button. :)

Alternatively, you can just copy paste a post's contents in your post and use the quote tags (either by clicking on the button above the post content area or typing
around it).

shadowhawk2008

Postby Atlantic » Tue May 17, 2011 7:29 pm

I enjoyed the Space Wolf books the first time around, but they are pretty irrelevant after Prospero Burns. Any take on the wolves would have to be sort of re-envisioned.
Opportunity is missed by most people, because it wears overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison
Atlantic

Next

Return to Board index

Return to Black Library - Products and Events