GDUK 2011 Reflections & Stuff

Considering Black Library books, products and events.

Re: GDUK 2011 Reflections & Stuff

Postby Viking Phil » Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:38 pm

If Gordon Rennie is making a return to 40K, maybe he'll continue his Gothic War series.
Outgunned, outnumbered, though never outclassed.
Viking Phil

Postby Xisor » Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:50 pm

Viking Phil wrote:If Gordon Rennie is making a return to 40K, maybe he'll continue his Gothic War series.

I'm desperately hoping that he will. Or, if he doesn't, he might sanction Aaron D-B to continue the story. That said, Rennie's a tremendous author, need to get to his short in Necromunda Omnibus 1!
"When my housemate puts his bike in the middle of the living room floor, I find that inordinately jarring, annoying and rude, but for me to refer to it as "genocide" would be incorrect." -Ath
xisor.wordpress
Xisor's Dice-o-matic Maiminator
Xisor
Site Admin

Postby BL Graeme » Mon Sep 26, 2011 3:34 pm

shadowhawk2008 wrote:Other than that, more than anything else, all the authors who frequent the Bolthole, and Laurie knew who I was when I introduced myself as Shadowhawk. That was a very, very nice little thing :) Glad to be a minor celebrity. Bummed that I didn't get to meet Graeme though.

Me too, dude. I was looking forward to meeting you. I was on the BL Sales stand, so I'm sure our paths crossed (unless you came by while I was on my lunch). A couple of Boltholers did manage to locate me, as did several of my proofreaders, so I definitely was there; it wasn't just my imagination. There's no way I could imagine Narry... :mrgreen:
BL Graeme

Postby shadowhawk2008 » Mon Sep 26, 2011 3:36 pm

Yeah, it was probably lunch time. Ah well, next time!
Shadowhawk's Shade My 40k/writing/review blog. You can check out all my reviews here.

My current fiction projects - Veergati: The Scarlet Records, an Indian space opera inspired by Star Trek.
shadowhawk2008

Location: Battle-barge Spear of Lycaeus of the Angels of Retribution

Postby Flashgordon » Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:46 pm

Any news from(/on) Ben Counter? (other than phalanx ofc) :)
Flashgordon

Postby Vivia » Mon Sep 26, 2011 5:32 pm

Viking Phil wrote:If Gordon Rennie is making a return to 40K, maybe he'll continue his Gothic War series.

Is Execution Hour part of the series?
There is nothing gay about the Princeton fight song. "Oh, the men of Princeton are charging up the rear, holding all the balls..." Okay, I hear it now. – Jack, episode Queen of Jordan
Vivia

Postby Xisor » Mon Sep 26, 2011 5:58 pm

Vivia wrote:

Is Execution Hour part of the series?

It is indeed. The Gothic War has Execution Hour then Shadowpoint, with a comic or two bundled into it too, IIRC.

(It's also really good.)
"When my housemate puts his bike in the middle of the living room floor, I find that inordinately jarring, annoying and rude, but for me to refer to it as "genocide" would be incorrect." -Ath
xisor.wordpress
Xisor's Dice-o-matic Maiminator
Xisor
Site Admin

Postby Vivia » Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:08 pm

As I recalled it EH was ungraspable but that was ages ago and my copy is really old. I've read the Draschenfel series and I like Rennie a lot. It's so good he's back.
Edit: Wrong, Rennie wrote Zavant. :)
Last edited by Vivia on Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
There is nothing gay about the Princeton fight song. "Oh, the men of Princeton are charging up the rear, holding all the balls..." Okay, I hear it now. – Jack, episode Queen of Jordan
Vivia

Postby shadowhawk2008 » Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:38 pm

Flashgordon wrote:Any news from(/on) Ben Counter? (other than phalanx ofc) :)

Sort of. I asked Laurie if Phalanx was really going to be the end of the SD series and he said read the book and see if it has a conclusive ending.

Moving on, he did say that Ben is working on another project. I wonder what it is :)
Shadowhawk's Shade My 40k/writing/review blog. You can check out all my reviews here.

My current fiction projects - Veergati: The Scarlet Records, an Indian space opera inspired by Star Trek.
shadowhawk2008

Postby narrativium » Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:39 pm

BL Graeme wrote:A couple of Boltholers did manage to locate me, as did several of my proofreaders, so I definitely was there; it wasn't just my imagination. There's no way I could imagine Narry... :mrgreen:

I get that a lot. :)
narrativium

Postby Bod the inquisitor » Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:55 pm

schaferwhat‽ wrote: Bod bakes good flapjacks. Also it was

Tis but a simple recipe, made with a small measure of tender loving care, but thank you.

schaferwhat‽ wrote:Shadowhawk, Bod, Paulus and Paulus' friend who isn't on the forum *spits* are fine fellows to spend an evening with. I heartily recommend it.

Indeedy was a fun evening good company and good food. The latter was particularly surprising for me, this was a premier inn restaurant.

I have to agree with Schafer in the fact the placement of the shops and tills was, perhaps, not the best. I got stuck in the queue for around an hour, though snaking my way around all those gaming tables was perhaps a little interesting. Had my head in a book for most of it so I’m afraid I couldn’t tell you much about those tables, made the queuing go quicker.

I pushed on with this as I obviously needed Gilders Rift, had to get it signed by the author. Even though I got in to the shop area just over an hour after GD had opened of things had already sold out. The two specials, the Iron Hands POD and I think Thorn and Talon audio, well I missed it if it was still available, this makes me sad. I was lucky to spot a copy of Iron hands next to the person on the till I arrived at, after yet another queue. It was one someone had decided they did not want after getting to the till. Needless to say that copy is currently sitting in my to read pile, and goes some way to soothing my aching feet.

Oh I’ve just been made aware of the following, thank you sir and your most welcome

This nicely brings me to the one thing I don’t think the others have covered. The appearance of POD’s is probably going to be a regular thing, though I’m not sure if or how the selection was made. I for one like this idea and would applaud a wider selection, hopefully at BLL live!?

Oh and I nearly forgot, the Ultramarines movie was available to buy on either: a limited number of the nice shiny box thingy, DVD or Blu-ray. I purchased the later as it was only a pound more expensive than the DVD plus has an extras disc. The director was there to sign stuff as well and he said he hopes another movie may be within the realms of possibilities. No topic was given.

Well that’s about it for me now I must retire to bed as I’m fully of Grandfather Nurgle’s little friends. They are proving to be persistent little buggers.
Ordos: Lectorformator

Enter my children,
Enter and join the betrayed,
Enter and leave the light,
Enter and forever join the ranks of the damned.

My latest effort: Useful Adversaries and Heart’s desire

Stories from my past
Bod the inquisitor

Postby schaferwhat‽ » Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:56 pm

With regards PoDs at BLL! there won't be any "shipping issues" with selecting which PoDs to put on display at PoD as they don't need to travel to Birmingham to be sold. So that's another bonus for people to go and buy the last 20 tickets to BLL!2012 you can get PoD books and not pay shipping (or order them before the second coming of Aurelian for the same perks)
schaferwhat‽

Postby shadowhawk2008 » Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:42 am

Well good to know that next year the sales area will be better organized :)

shadowhawk2008

Postby Vivia » Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:08 am

Bod the inquisitor wrote:Tis but a simple recipe, made with a small measure of tender loving care, but thank you.

Care to share the recipe? Mine have never quite been all that they should be. I must do something wrong and it's frustrating. :)
Vivia

Postby shadowhawk2008 » Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:20 am

You are not praying enough to the Cookery god.

shadowhawk2008

Postby Vivia » Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:42 am

I guess the gods can have their goats after all.
Vivia

Postby Bod the inquisitor » Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:57 pm

Vivia wrote:Care to share the recipe? Mine have never quite been all that they should be. I must do something wrong and it's frustrating. :)

How are they going wrong? I may be able to help sort the problem, may be able to. Anyway below is the recipe I use and the method.
3 oz butter, 2 oz caster sugar, 2 ½ tablespoons golden syrup, 6 oz rolled oats.

Method:
1. Pre heat an oven to 180 degrees C
2. Melt the butter in a saucepan then add the caster sugar and the golden syrup and stir gently until all the butter is melted and the sugar dissolved.
3. Mix in the rolled oats and ensuring they are entirely covered in the melted butter mix.
4. Thoroughly grease a baking tray then add the mixture and press firmly, do not make to thin or two thick, (Recipes typically call for the use of a 18cm 7 inch square sandwich tin).
5. Bake for 25 minutes or until the surface is a golden brown.
6. Remove from the oven and while still hot cut into fingers then allow to cool.
7. Once cooled and hardened store in an air tight container.
Vital parts ensure the baking tin is well and truly greased, I use butter and probably slightly more than required. Helps the little buggers come out of the tray. I don’t use a non-stick because of the marking/cutting, which I do with a big knife hence non-stick ain’t to good. I actually double up this recipe and use a big enamel tray. Seems to work, as long as the greasing is good. Not sure if it helps but when I’m mixing the oats with the sugar butter mix I usually do this on the hob very gentle heat. Keeps everything
liquid so you get a nice even coat on the rolled oats.

Hope this helps.

Shadowhawk2008 wrote:You are not praying enough to the Cookery god.

It never does any harm to have the cookery gods on side. They can be finicky little buggers and can turn on you at a drop of the hat. I forgot to burn the right incense last night so they made me cut my finger with a knife. I was only trying to put it in the draw after drying it.
Ordos: Lectorformator

Enter my children,
Enter and join the betrayed,
Enter and leave the light,
Enter and forever join the ranks of the damned.

My latest effort: Useful Adversaries and Heart’s desire

Stories from my past
Bod the inquisitor

Postby schaferwhat‽ » Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:02 pm

that was the putting away gods you angered not the cookery ones Bod.
schaferwhat‽

Postby Vivia » Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:20 pm

Bod, thank you so much! C&P for future references. This will be great. :)

I had a trouble finding a good recipe, when searching for flapjacks you get tons of hits to the North American variant, the pancake thingy. The Swedish recipes can't be trusted; raspberry/blueberry jam, raisins, milk and what not.
Once I had too much butter and the next too little, problems with the English measurements, meh. One time it turned into a blackened lump and so on until I gave up. :)

Cookery gods are fickle. Be generous with the goats/lambs .
Vivia

Postby shadowhawk2008 » Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:56 am

Vivia wrote:Cookery gods are fickle. Be generous with the goats/lambs .

They all bow down to Tzeentch in the end.

shadowhawk2008

PreviousNext

Return to Board index

Return to Black Library - Products and Events