GDUK 2011 Reflections & Stuff

Considering Black Library books, products and events.

GDUK 2011 Reflections & Stuff

Postby shadowhawk2008 » Sun Sep 25, 2011 6:27 pm

As my first UK GD, and my second one ever, this was a ton of fun.

Got to spend quite a bit of precious minutes chatting with all my favourite authors. Got all the titles I wanted as well, the seminars were fun.

For the interested parties, here are some of the rather brief notes I was able to make during the "Writing for BL seminar" and from what I remember talking to some of the authors during the "Cafe with the Authors" mini-events.

1. Christian mentioned that there will be 2 more Garro audio dramas. Jim Swallow confirmed that they have the arc for Garro and Cerberus pretty much plotted out and that now they know how these arcs are gonna end, getting there is gonna be quite exciting.

One of these audiodramas will be showing us Garro in quite a different light, with quite different circumstances. There is supposed to be quite a big twist in this one.

Also, IIRC Jim mentioned that one of these is called Sword of Truth.

2. There will also be a Garro & Varren double-disc audio drama which shows us how the two meet.

3. John French is writing a mini audio-drama concerning Cerberus, the surprise character from Garro: Legion of One.

4. Pyro aka Sarah Cawkwell, is writing an audio-drama, titled Indomitable (I hope I've got that title right!), which is going to be about Marneus 'Marny' Calgar and Chaplain Cassius. Christian mentioned 40k and Die Hard in the same sentence when talking about this one. :)

5. Christian is working on a Raven Guard novella. I wasn't able to get much time with him during the day so I couldn't chat with him more about it. But this is welcome news, since the chapter has only had one published and one up-coming audio-drama about them. The cameos in The Hunt for Voldorius and that one Ultramarines novel sort of work too I suppose.

But yeah, bring it on!

6. John French is working on another novella, titled Crimson Fist, and it has a fair bit of space battles in it I am reliably told.

He is also working on an Architect of Fate novella that is called Fateweaver.

Note: I may be confusing these two. The Boltholers present during the seminar, feel welcome to comment on this. Or Pyro, or John, or Christian.

Note: The Imperial Fists are Christian's favourite chapter.

7. Christian mentioned that going forward the plan is for all future HH novels to get audiobook versions on the same release day and that given what the reactions are to the unabridged Prospero Burns/A Thousand Sons audiobooks, more of the already released HH titles will be getting the same treatment.

8. Nick Kyme is working on an Emperor's Children novella or audiodrama (I forget which).

9. Anthony Reynolds is doing a Kharn the Betrayer audiodrama.

10. Gordon Rennie is doing a Blood Angels audiodrama that slots into the events of Bloodquest Book II.

11. Gav Thorpe's nest, a novella about Chaplain Cassius, will be Limited Edition status.

12. Aaron's next novel, The Emperor's Gift, will be getting an audiobook release the same day the hardback does. This is the plan at least.

13. Chris Wraight mentioned that his next, Wrath of Iron which is a SMB novel about the Iron Hands, will explore the relations between the Iron Hands and the Adeptus Mechanicus, particularly in relation to the training of the Iron Fathers.

The ruthlessness of the Iron Hands, as well as their views about "weak people" will be explored. Expect another deeper novel like Battle of the Fang that really shows us the nature of a chapter.

14. Talking about his Ferrus Manus related novella for the Primarchs anthology, Nick mentioned that it is set during the same campaign as the one told in Promethean Sun, so there will be some overlap.

Ferrus' past on Medusa will be touched on somewhat as well.

15. Sarah talked about HANSUM SPESS MAHRINEZ.

16. A fact most people may not be aware of, but Sarah is the most published author in Hammer & Bolter other than Ben Counter.

17. Nick Kyme would love to somehow explore something about the fate of Vulkan post-Istvaan V and the travels of Vulkan He'stan to find the Primarch's lost relics.

18. James Swallow has plans for a Space Marine Battles novel about the Blood Angels. That's all he gave me I am afraid. Expect something really stonking.

That's all I remember for now. I'll post more once I remember more interesting stuff.
Shadowhawk's Shade My 40k/writing/review blog. You can check out all my reviews here.

My current fiction projects - Veergati: The Scarlet Records, an Indian space opera inspired by Star Trek.
shadowhawk2008

Location: Battle-barge Spear of Lycaeus of the Angels of Retribution

Re: GDUK 2011 Reflections & Stuff

Postby Liliedhe » Sun Sep 25, 2011 6:35 pm

Awesome.

So many audio dramas :). And more spotlight for some of the rather neglected legions/chapters. And Kharn. :mrgreen:
"You were a warleader, a fighter, when did you gain such illuminating insight into the minds of others?"
"I learned such things as you and your brothers applied brand to my flesh and parted skin with rasp and knife," snarled Astelan. "When your witches tried to prise open my mind they opened me for an instant and I stared back."
Liliedhe

Postby shadowhawk2008 » Sun Sep 25, 2011 6:37 pm

It was definitely a question I wanted to ask Christian during the seminar, about the process for picking what chapters get screentime and stuff, but the seminar was unfortunately far too brief :(
Shadowhawk's Shade My 40k/writing/review blog. You can check out all my reviews here.

My current fiction projects - Veergati: The Scarlet Records, an Indian space opera inspired by Star Trek.
shadowhawk2008

Postby Liliedhe » Sun Sep 25, 2011 6:42 pm

And much more stuff about Cerberus, which makes me very happy. Poor guy needs more screentime (and a book so we can finally stop talking in riddles about him).
"You were a warleader, a fighter, when did you gain such illuminating insight into the minds of others?"
"I learned such things as you and your brothers applied brand to my flesh and parted skin with rasp and knife," snarled Astelan. "When your witches tried to prise open my mind they opened me for an instant and I stared back."
Liliedhe

Postby Xisor » Sun Sep 25, 2011 6:44 pm

Aye, all sounds good, glad to hear it. Somewhat jealous of your speaking to Chris, he was mighty entertaining at BLL! this year but as I hadn't by that time read any of his work (and was [and still am] an incompetent peon when it comes to writing :lol: ), I felt somewhat inadequate for the conversation!

The Emperor's Gift is Aaron's Grey Knight opening novel, yeah? Excellent.

Glad to see you've had a good day. Warseer's grumbling about the lack of new 40k stuff on display (e.g. Necrons), but it looks all good on the BLP front (which is what I'd have been nipping down for, had I gone).

Any particular highlights for your day, SH? (Also, did you get many story proposals pinned up to the board?)
"When my housemate puts his bike in the middle of the living room floor, I find that inordinately jarring, annoying and rude, but for me to refer to it as "genocide" would be incorrect." -Ath
xisor.wordpress
Xisor's Dice-o-matic Maiminator
Xisor
Site Admin

Postby Vivia » Sun Sep 25, 2011 6:50 pm

Anthony Reynolds writing Kharn! Gordon Rennie writing Bloodquest! Audio dramas! \o/
Iron Hands and the puny flesh-creatures sounds interesting.
Hansum Spezz Mahrinez, that's the Blood Angels, no doubt.
There is nothing gay about the Princeton fight song. "Oh, the men of Princeton are charging up the rear, holding all the balls..." Okay, I hear it now. – Jack, episode Queen of Jordan
Vivia

Postby Xisor » Sun Sep 25, 2011 6:53 pm

Jeez McBees! I totally missed point 10!

Rennie was due to do a signing up here in Scotland a year or so back, he had to cancel unfortunately, I was gutted. More Rennie is an excellent thing. :)
"When my housemate puts his bike in the middle of the living room floor, I find that inordinately jarring, annoying and rude, but for me to refer to it as "genocide" would be incorrect." -Ath
xisor.wordpress
Xisor's Dice-o-matic Maiminator
Xisor
Site Admin

Postby Rob P » Sun Sep 25, 2011 6:55 pm

The next few years sound very promising.

Thanks for the information Shadowhawk, very useful and interesting.
Rob P

Postby narrativium » Sun Sep 25, 2011 6:57 pm

John French has definitely finished writing Fateweaver and is working on other stuff.
narrativium

Postby shadowhawk2008 » Sun Sep 25, 2011 6:58 pm

The highlights would most definitely be the "Cafe sessions".

What BL did was, 3 authors were in each of these sessions (there were 4 total I believe) and we got to talk to each of them as a group.

I attended the ones with Sarah, Nick and Chris and then the later one with Jim and Aaron.

Other than that, more than anything else, all the authors who frequent the Bolthole, and Laurie knew who I was when I introduced myself as Shadowhawk. That was a very, very nice little thing :) Glad to be a minor celebrity. Bummed that I didn't get to meet Graeme though.

So as it happens, I have dedications in the books I got signed that start with "To Shadowhawk". Totally rocking. When I introduced myself to Aaron, he said "so you're that guy". Aaron is awesome.

I also got my age-old copy of Grey Hunter signed by Bill King. But Bod beat me to the punch by bringing his age-older copy of Ragnar's Claw. Blergh! :)

With regards to the pitch wall, I posted two ideas, one of which I really, really like and believe that it really captures the feel of the character I wrote about and the dual nature of 40k for the good guys. I read some of the other postings, and there was quite a rough spread of the most ridiculous ideas ever. To each his own though I suppose. Although, it seems that some people aren't really aware of what the editors are looking for, in terms of nearly every detail. Less said the better I suppose.

And I'd like to say that Graham McNeill is the most accommodating author ever. The queue for him and Dan were quite immense, to the point that at one time, Dan's queue had to overflow! But yes, back to Graham, there was a cut-off time for his signings towards the end of GD but he still took the time to sign my books. Give how busy he was throughout the day, it was much appreciated.

And I didn't go for any of the main GW stuff. I was just far too busy with BL stuff.

shadowhawk2008

Postby schaferwhat‽ » Sun Sep 25, 2011 7:18 pm

It wasn't unfun.

GW tend to have a habit of pulling surprisingly amateur style stunts for such a large/successful company that has done many a Games Day before. They parked all the "GW" sales in one area without enough tills or space which narked many people off. I'd imagine that because they had card processing facilities this year that factored into the set up (previously BL sales were seperate from other sales) but it was odd, and in the end they were controlling customer flow into the sales area (someone told me they queued for almost an hour just to go in pick stuff up and then queue to pay). I forgot Blood of Anerion (or however you spell it) but was already 15 minutes into the payment queue which was at that early point of the day already doubled in length since I had joined it and never worked up the nerve to go back into the fray to pick it up. (It'll give me something to ask for for Christmas though). Games Day always features some queuing and what not it

Black Library's organisation wasn't bad though, arguably much better than before. I talked to Herr Kyme about it when I was getting stuffed signed (and feeling embarassed by not having read my death scene by him yet) that the non-headline writers (I was going to say second string but that is a tad too derogatory considering Gav, Nick, Chris, Darius, Sandy and Pyro were in that group) were very much in the thick of it rather than an after thought to one side as last year (though arguably I got to chew Chris' ear off for twenty minutes at least last year on Imperial politics whereas our conversation over the signing table this year was more pressured by time. Chris is great conversation though, and he has all the awesome ideas and perspectives and makes me giddy for all his projects and remembers what we talked about last year and picks up on it again). Also BL just seemed generally busier with more BLL! style talks going on so much so that with the queuing that took place I didn't get to see so much of other stuff. (Which I'm not that cut up about so I may indeed skip Games Day for just BLL! next year if needs be it is the event I like most, and I'm more likely to meet and annoy folks like yourselves).

I'll do a more indepth overview later tonight probably, now I'm going to watch either the Rugby or Doctor Who and wait for my dinner to arrive.
schaferwhat‽

Postby Lord of the Night » Sun Sep 25, 2011 7:23 pm

MAIM KILL BURN! MAIN KILL BURN! MAIN KILL BURN!

Anything involving Khârn is an automatic win, thank you Anthony Reynolds for this.

As for the rest. Looking forward to all, but particularly Chris Wraight's Iron Hands novel, Jim Swallow's Blood Angels SMB novel (Please be the Hives of Holloran.), and the Garro audio-novels.

Lord of the Night
http://www.talkwargaming.com/search/lab ... %20Reviews - Black Library Reviews by Lord of the Night@Talk Wargaming
Lord of the Night

Postby schaferwhat‽ » Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:29 pm

Well as I am starting to feel a bit rough (I think lack of sleep last night and existing purely on sugar and caffine this weekend may have just caught up with me, not to mention lugging masses of books all day and the issues I have back wise with any longer than an hour car journey which has my shoulder giving me jip) I don't know how witty, insightful or all covering this round up from my head of the event will be. Who am I kidding, it'll be awesome, I am awesome. Everybody set you state of being to "in awe" and we can get this show on the road.

Coincidentally I signed myself as Jonathan "awesome writer" Schafer on one of my wall pitches, just to be extra convincing to the editorial bods. Do they really need more convincing? I hear you ask. APPARENTLY.

Read Shadowhawk's OP. He mentions a "writing for the black library seminar" but there seems to be little in the way of tips or information about writing for the black library. I can cast some light on that. Apparently the kids in the seminar weren't interested in writing for the black library and it became an upcoming release chat. Christian seemed to take issue that I didn't turn up for his seminar, in my defence it was gone half ten by the time I escaped the horrors of the purchase area and I'm not sure if it was because I may have asked questions about the topic the of writing or because he just misses my company when I'm not around. I reckon a mixture of the both. Those who were at BLL! this past year and were in the writing seminar will know just how easily they can be taken off topic by people who insist on talking about stuff that isn't about fulfilling our destinies and writing warhammer stories for money. Bod also missed out on a ticket for that event, I never asked Narry or Kal if they went when I met them but there were less Boltholers I'd reckon than at last years.

Promethean Sun continues to be a pain
Within the 10 minutes of the public being allowed into the venue (at the far end from the purchasing area, Laurie has an anecdote about people legging it across the arena to get in really fast) Promethean Sun sold all 100 copies, I saw two people with three copies and I heard one person complain about someone who had seven. Many was the grumble I heard about the lack of availability, the Limited Edition backlash continues. Laurie did try and convince me that they couldn't restrict it to one per customer today because they hadn't done so before however I pointed out that they hadn't sold the books direct to customers before either so this was brave new ground. Black Library seems to be eager to befriend it's customers again, even if all the staffers who were working Aurelian-Night still seemed visably shaken by events, hence the free shipping and silver editions and what not. It's a shame that there seems to be such an atmosphere that BL isn't listening to it's customers with regards this policy (free shipping does mean they are selling Gold Aurellians to Australia and far away places for free pretty much) because they did organise the sale of Aurelian to be US friendly and outside of standard office hours UK time in light of feedback. I may not necessarily agree with limiting the editions of HH stories from my hippy cheapskate consumer point of view (I say having spent over £100 on books today) but I do feel for BL over this mess even if they don't do themselves favours all the time.

Chris Wraight not only seems really nice, with a genuine seeming inquisition into how I was when I came to bother him to scrawl over his works for me, but is also really really exciting. His Huss book whilst stepping away from the cool things concerning the politics of the Imperial Church that me and he discussed a year ago still looks set to explore interesting areas of conflict and depth and awesomeness. But then it would wouldn't it? The Swords of Justice and Vengeance had a well realised interesting politik to them, battle for the fang was so much more than just the story of a battle, the story was something concerning grander schemes and deeper themes and a battle just happened to be the setting for it. He is good. His Iron Hands book also looks set to do it again with him stating that the issues of Astartes independence and the relationship the chapter has with the Imperium as a whole (and difficulties within it) being explored. This is a Space Marine battles book, he's taking the oft overlooked intreguing areas of the lore into it and I am psyched for it.

Time of Legends wise, for some reason (I blame Nick Kyme's interference) the Time of Legends War of Vengeance story set (6 book arc with Kyme and Wraight detailing the dwarfen and Elven sides of the conflict respectively) is just thought of as "War of Vengeance" rather than having the Elven trillogy be termed "War of the Beard" which I thought would be the more characterful and cool thing to do. Also Gav Thorpe's Vampire Wars ToL series is to be delayed. Planning meetings with schemes for Gav to do more Dark Angels and other things mean that getting a Time of Legend book out each year for the Vampire Wars isn't possible to hit the "three lines of ToL" plan (We had Nagash/Sigmar/Sundering, we were going to have Plague/Beard/Vampires) so it is likely to be held back until the next set of ToL lines are introduced. There seems to be a vibe concerning how tightly packed the Sundering was to expand to 6 books to fully realise the Wars of the Vampire Counts however before it was delayed. Gav gave the impression BL might be looking at filling the hole in the ToL schedule somehow and he only had rough ideas about his next Fantasy release now that the ToL plan has changed (he is keen to do something with Dwarfs, and maybe a certain Dwarf inparticular).

Nick is cool to chat with as always, he now has proof that Dark Chocolate Hobnobs exist. My talk about phantom limbs and Ferrus Manus' magic hands went over his head first time (and I fear the rest of the cafe grouping I was with. Sometimes I pitch my comments too high or I'm just really obtuse) but he was polite enough to say that he might have to mention something like that in the Novella he is doing for it. He refuses to tell us about Vulkan's Fate and he seems unwilling to accept that the lost artefacts of Vulkan got lost because the Salamanders are a very careless Space Marine legion/chapter. Still it was fun anyways.

All of Bill King's anecdotes about warhammer/40k start in the 80s.

I am starting to consider resenting and hating Dan Abnett. He's always great but you queue to see him for so long and there is such a throng of people behind you that I seem to make very weak lame opening jokey remarks which he is polite enough to not punch me for and then say little of worth before running away so someone else can have their Dan time. Also I stood in Dan's queue rather than Jim's and I was an idiot and didn't realise Jim was "informal cafe seminaring" at the end of Games Day so his signing was being cut short and I purchased more Swallow novels than Abnett ones today. (With that regard Games Day took on some of the less plesant qualities of BLL! where the authors had so many commitments it was hard to nail them down to enjoy at your lesuire, not really a complaint just an aspect of the nature of things that I rue, really it was awesomesauce that the Authors were doing so much stuff, if only they performed a song and dance routine and everyone would've been truly happy).

Bod bakes good flapjacks. Also it was

I really hope Gav's wall pitch becomes a short story for Hammer and Bolter. It was awesome.

No one knows what is going on with the Treacheries Submission Window, Laurie didn't think it was open and the email account was accepting new entries yet. Christian seemed to think it closes at the end of September (but doesn't have access to the submissions email account at the moment). So get pitching already if you care (the entry I thought up on the spot for the wall pitch has become much stronger in my head today than the one I have stewing properly with samples and detailed synopsis and everything to finish now which seems a shame and somewhat typical of the way of things).

Darius Hinks is nice and has cool ideas and I rue leaving a pile of fantasy books at home as otherwise I'd have bothered him during a signing as well as at the cafe session.

Andy Smilie may have bad things written about him some places on the internet (and a surprising amount of people expect me to remember where lately it seems) but having talked to him, berated him (under instruction) and gazed lovingly yet fleetingly into his cold dead eyes he seems alright to me. He has a new story out in the next hammer & bolter maybe, Christian wasn't quite sure what was in the issue beyond content.

Pyro didn't mess up too much. She seemed nice and chatty and knowledgeable. She'd almost pass off as a proper writer if she didn't have stupid hair. Also her judgement seemed seriously off, she was thanking me for supporting her and being nice to me and everything despite all I've done, I think it may have been because she was over tired but just to be on the safe side everybody be concerned for her mental health and well being for the next year or two.

Shadowhawk, Bod, Paulus and Paulus' friend who isn't on the forum *spits* are fine fellows to spend an evening with. I heartily recommend it.

Speaking of hearty recommendations, BLL!2012 is one of mine. There are 55 tickets leftapparently (though they were selling them at Games Day as well so I don't know if they had 55 left and may have sold them all or if they seperated the stock out assuming all the games day allocation to sell. I meant to ask but I forgot.

Now I'm going to read Salvation's Reach vbefore sleeping. I was going to read Gildar Rift first out of loyalty for Pyro but Reach found my hand first as I pulled it from the bag and I couldn't bring myself to let it go no matter how bad my Dan Abnett in public anxiety makes me feel about myself.

Edit:
Final note, those I spent Saturday night with will be pleased to know I made no demands that BL fly Carandini in because I had to punch him in the face. It didn't come up and you did leave me with concerns that it could be misconstrued as something other than a loving yet violent metaphor.
schaferwhat‽

Postby Tyrant » Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:44 pm

schaferwhat‽ wrote:No one knows what is going on with the Treacheries Submission Window, Laurie didn't think it was open and the email account was accepting new entries yet. Christian seemed to think it closes at the end of September (but doesn't have access to the submissions email account at the moment). So get pitching already if you care (the entry I thought up on the spot for the wall pitch has become much stronger in my head today than the one I have stewing properly with samples and detailed synopsis and everything to finish now which seems a shame and somewhat typical of the way of things).

Hmm, I'll submit my two tomorrow then.

Thanks for the report Mr Schafer.
My Facebook writing page. Like it, it's awesome!

My Twitter page.

Cytheria

Valerion

I think Valerion could stand toe-to-toe with the best of Gaunt's Ghosts. I loved it. Gundi Da Grot

The sense of threat that permeates the entire piece is fantastic. xrayex

Tash'shi is made of win and awesome. Raziel4707
Tyrant

Postby Tim the Corsair » Mon Sep 26, 2011 2:48 am

Not to derail at all, but is Treacheries confirmed as the typical thousand words, one ragraph summary,couple of page synopsis thing?
Tim the Corsair

Postby Kal_Ryper » Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:19 am

Well, you guys have covered pretty much everything.

I will also echo the bad layout of the "shopping" area. I can understand the setup, all the tills in one area and controlled layout for security reasons but they really need to rethink it for next year.
I made it to the BL writing seminar with minutes to spare - it was literally grab books, get in the queue to pay, then get back to the far end of the venue for the seminar.

In the Authors' Cafe, Darius mentioned he was going to write a trilogy about/involving Orion (wood elves) but it won't be part of the Time of Legends series; a pity but I'm still looking forward to this!

It was good to see a few Boltholers flying the flag T-shirt.

And, what a difference a year makes. Last GD, Sarah (Pyro) was dragged out from the crowd by Christian as a freshly baked BL author. This year, she was part of the panel and also had her own signing desk! 8-)

Now, it's just the matter of reading the pile of new books and getting some more writing done.
Keep writing,
Kal
Kal_Ryper

Postby Pyroriffic » Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:37 am

shadowhawk2008 wrote:4. Pyro aka Sarah Cawkwell, is writing an audio-drama, titled Indomitable (I hope I've got that title right!), which is going to be about Marneus 'Marny' Calgar and Chaplain Cassius. Christian mentioned 40k and Die Hard in the same sentence when talking about this one. :)

Written.

:)

Also, that was Project: Lonestar.

shadowhawk2008 wrote:15. Sarah talked about HANSUM SPESS MAHRINEZ.

I do feel I should point out that this was in direct response to a guest visit question from Qui Gon Jim Swallow.

shadowhawk2008 wrote:16. A fact most people may not be aware of, but Sarah is the most published author in Hammer & Bolter other than Ben Counter.

It's my own personal vehicle. Really. :)
I reject your reality and substitute it with my own.
Pyroriffic

Postby Jelboy » Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:00 am

Schaf... thanks for your great (semi lucid) account of games day (and Shadowhawk's too).

But hey.... can you clear up this bit for me please:

No one knows what is going on with the Treacheries Submission Window, Laurie didn't think it was open and the email account was accepting new entries yet. Christian seemed to think it closes at the end of September (but doesn't have access to the submissions email account at the moment).

Laurie didn't think the email account was accepting entries yet? Or, Christian thinks the email account is accepting entries (paraphrasing a previous bolthole thread comment by him) and will close at the end of September?

I sent my two entries off some time ago - and Herr dunn seemed to confirm that entries were being received. The 'tale of Laurie' gives me thought of resubmitting.
Jelboy

Postby schaferwhat‽ » Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:12 pm

Lucidity is the enemy of something noble and worth making a stance to defend.

I can't really be clearer, the situation itself seemed less clear. I told Laurie Christian has said go ahead and send them in, and Laurie said that was possibly the case he hadn't checked the submissions folder since the main window closed and that Christian should know what he is on about. Christian in person doesn't give the same cocksure knowing sense of purpose as he carries on the internet, the man has many many balls in the air and despite these balls being metaphorical he still seems intent to perform tricks whilst juggling them.

They are busy people and they're crazed as well. Getting clarity and sense from them is all but impossible.
schaferwhat‽

Postby Jelboy » Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:23 pm

I get the impression from you that a strong taint of Chaos permeates the staffers of the Black library. ;)

... but I'm only really impressed with those jugglers that manage to juggle whilst on a uni-cycle.
Jelboy

Next

Return to Board index

Return to Black Library - Products and Events