What Are You Reading?

Considering Black Library books, products and events.

Re: What Are You Reading?

Postby Chun the Unavoidable » Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:42 pm

Vivia wrote:Oh, now I'm excited! I think I remember the fantasy in a sci-fi setting, thanks for reminding me. :o
I'm really into reading older fantasy (that's not New Wave, hmph), but after the horror that was Tanith Lee's fantasy work I put it off. I've the idea that Cherryh's fantasy fiction is way better than her sci-fi, I got into Foreigner from her fantasy short stories.

What's exciting about CL Moore is that she had similar monsters as Lovecraft before that was a thing. Both published in Weird Tales so maybe it was a thing at their time.

Have you read Cherryh's Rimrunner books? They're rather excellent SF, I thought. I read the first of her Faded Sun trilogy, though, and really only just made it to the end - it drips angst and introspection, but does not balance it with much action. Re, older Fantasy: I know you've read some Jack Vance, but have you read his Lyonesse books? The first, especially, is rather wonderful. There's all the Conan tales, of course, but they can get a bit repetitive all at once. What about Clark Ashton Smith?
Chun the Unavoidable

Postby Chun the Unavoidable » Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:14 pm

Now reading Transfigurations, by Michael Bishop. (My first owned Victor Gollancz yellow jacket!)
Chun the Unavoidable

Postby Major Rawne » Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:44 am

Knocked out the last of Soul Wars last night. On the whole there was a lot to like about it, especially as my first real foray into Age of Sigmar beyond a smattering of short stories. That being said I did feel that after an initially strong start it did seem to lose direction from which it never seemed to quite recover. I especially liked that the gods were real characters in a way there never really were in the old world.

Next up is Toxicity by Andy Remic. The start is as mad cap as I expect from one of Remic's books, so hopefully it continues in such a fashion. Once this is done I have Lords of Silence or Jain Zar glaring at me (amongst many others) to be read.

Edit: Scratch that, I lied. Soul Wars is my second foray into Age of Sigmar. How could I forget the wonderful Nagash: The Undying King also by Josh.
Major Rawne

Postby Lord of the Night » Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:47 pm

Major Rawne wrote:Knocked out the last of Soul Wars last night. On the whole there was a lot to like about it, especially as my first real foray into Age of Sigmar beyond a smattering of short stories. That being said I did feel that after an initially strong start it did seem to lose direction from which it never seemed to quite recover. I especially liked that the gods were real characters in a way there never really were in the old world.

What did you think of the twist regarding the Lord-Arcanum Balthas?

Spoiler: I was shocked that he was Gelt and equally surprised that I never saw that coming given that his name was Balthas Arum, he felt a connection with the Old World, wondered if he'd met Sigmar before and called his mount Quicksilver.

LotN
http://www.talkwargaming.com/search/lab ... %20Reviews - Black Library Reviews by Lord of the Night@Talk Wargaming
Lord of the Night

Postby Xisor » Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:09 am

Finished up "Call of Archaon" - a genuinely decent anthology. Some really lovely bits of prose in there too, from all the authors - I'd forgotten how powerful even little turns of phrase can be.

I'm edging my way towards Neferata: Mortarch of Blood as I have the fancy edition, but first: "The Magos" by Dan Abnett. I read the shorts earlier this year, all grand. But more than that - started the novel recently, but only now cleared time to dedicate to it.

Bloody hell. The kick-off to it is so good. Drusher as an imagination-run-wild old coot of an anxious hermit is just wonderful. Even if the rest of the novel doesn't keep that focus, the little asides are so enjoyable.

Sheer joy, so far, even if also conjuring up all sorts of other feelings of excitement and wistfulness and grief.

So nice to be back in an on-going Inquisitor story. (Very soon I'll get to John French's Incarnation too!)

And Abnett too. Even since Pariah, it feels like his writing has levelled up again.

Still early in the novel, but such. FUN.
"When my housemate puts his bike in the middle of the living room floor, I find that inordinately jarring, annoying and rude, but for me to refer to it as "genocide" would be incorrect." -Ath
xisor.wordpress
Xisor's Dice-o-matic Maiminator
Xisor
Site Admin

Postby Rob P » Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:42 pm

Recently finished Mort. It's ok, but I never enjoy Terry Pratchett at much as I feel I ought to.

I'm currently reading a Louis Theroux book.
Rob P

Postby Shaggy » Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:42 pm

Just finished "The Lords Of Silence" by Chris Wraight... absolutely excellent, thoroughly recommend it. It shines a very interesting light on the psychology of the Death Guard after 10,000 years (in realtime, anyway) of The Long War. Very impressed - Chris Wraight is getting better with every book, I think.

Now just started to re-read "Fabius Bile : Primogenitor" by Josh Reynolds, ready for diving into the sequel. A book that I never expected to like all that much because I never really thought much of the title character - I was wrong. It's a very interesting examination of the character... and Reynolds' foreword is definitely food for thought as to his motivations. Again - recommended.
In defeat, malice.
In victory, revenge.

My lifeform type is tee tee hatch nex ool
Shall we do rishathra?
Shaggy

Postby Duke_Leto » Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:44 pm

So I decided to go back and give Resurrection another go. First time around I gave up during the first third of the book. For some reason it just didn't click with me. Cannot put my finger on why but I just didn't like it. I read it back-to-back with Chris Wraight's Carrion Throne which was awesome so perhaps that was why?

Anyhow, having seen the positive reviews of Incarnation I was determined I give John French's inquisition series another go (as on paper that was a delicious combo). So glad I did...

The first 100 pages or so of Resurrection were still hard going but after that, once you get to the scenes in the Navigators Enclave...wow what a book. The last two thirds of the book were fantastic. I loved it. Still don't know why. Certainly not that the plot seemed to pick up (and I don't mean action scenes as they actually aren't my thing) but the story and writing style just seemed to flow better.

Great book and now I have started Incarnation... Brilliant so far, loving it!
Duke_Leto

Postby Squiggle » Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:10 pm

Shaggy wrote:Just finished "The Lords Of Silence" by Chris Wraight... absolutely excellent, thoroughly recommend it. It shines a very interesting light on the psychology of the Death Guard after 10,000 years (in realtime, anyway) of The Long War. Very impressed - Chris Wraight is getting better with every book, I think.

Now just started to re-read "Fabius Bile : Primogenitor" by Josh Reynolds, ready for diving into the sequel. A book that I never expected to like all that much because I never really thought much of the title character - I was wrong. It's a very interesting examination of the character... and Reynolds' foreword is definitely food for thought as to his motivations. Again - recommended.

Yeah I thought Lords of Silence did a great job at capturing the character of the Death Guard.
If my mind's the weapon, my heart's the extra clip

Forum Moderator

@sqyiggle
Squiggle

Previous

Return to Board index

Return to Black Library - Products and Events