What Are You Reading?

Considering Black Library books, products and events.

Re: What Are You Reading?

Postby Therion » Tue Aug 07, 2018 2:36 pm

Still reading Mechanicum. Slowly nearing to the end. The choices of scenes of illustrations are a bit weird. For example the Kaban machine is illustrated, like several hundred pages after it was introduced. I wish there would be, like 10x more illustrations.
I think Delia is one of my favourite characters so far. I guess it's because she's more human than most of characters in the setting. Which is somewhat understandable XD .

Have noticed that some audio-dramas are somewhat affordable - costing, like 2 coffees, so I got one - of course, it was A Lesson In Darkness about my beloved Night Lords and Konrad Curze XD . I enjoyed it a lot XD . Didn't expect Curze to sound like that but the voice fits very well.
I recently realized that Curze probably isn't the most like Batman or even Punisher but like Jack the Ripper.

JavaScript & jQuery: interactive front-end development. This one is in colour and with a lot of pictures and schematics. Nice.
"There can be no bystanders in the battle for survival. Anyone who will not fight by your side is an enemy you must crush" -Scriptorus Munificantus
Therion

Postby Chun the Unavoidable » Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:08 pm

Now reading Lycanthia, Tanith Lee.
Chun the Unavoidable

Postby Xisor » Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:36 pm

Finished "Straken" at the weekend there. What an unashamedly endearing book.

Lots of the usual Imperial Guard vs Orks action, but managed not to blunt its edge *and* wasn't wall-to-wall miserably depressing grimdark.

I mean, it was grim and it was dark, but I think I've strangely found myself a cheerleader for the Catachan worldview in 40k. A fair amount of people struggling with life and awful situations, yet also showing their struggle to get by, not as something easy and easily expected of everyone, but as the real focus of the novel.

I'm really impressed with it.

In contrast to the more mind-boggling of Fehervari's (brilliant in any event!), or the more withering take from Williams' 'Imperial Glory' (also brilliant), this is both an easier read, and yet arguably a more daring one.

Well, more and easier are very subjective in this case. But put Straken and Imperial Glory and Fire Caste beside one another and you have three very different, yet strikingly similar, novels.

Hell, Gunheads & Baneblade, sit nicely in there too.

Imperial Guard stories: great stuff! Who knew?!
"When my housemate puts his bike in the middle of the living room floor, I find that inordinately jarring, annoying and rude, but for me to refer to it as "genocide" would be incorrect." -Ath
xisor.wordpress
Xisor's Dice-o-matic Maiminator
Xisor
Site Admin

Postby Chun the Unavoidable » Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:13 pm

Time to see what the fuss was about: The Three-Body Problem, Cixin Liu (translated by Ken Liu).
Chun the Unavoidable

Postby Rob P » Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:50 pm

Yup. Very fond memories of Imperial Glory. I find that my expectations of IG books are always low so they always exceed them. But not to take away from the fact I've really enjoyed them. Not saying my expectation meant a crap book seemed good, but rather that good books just can't meet the upper end of my expectations.

On that note, finished Slaves to Darkness. Expectations were high and it was very meh. Would need to spoil to explain.

Just read Engaging the Anomalous: Collected Essays on Anthropology, the Paranormal, Mediumship and Extraordinary Experience by Jack Hunter. Fantastic insight into the subject matter. Would love to meet this guy.

Now onto Stephen King's Sleeping Beauties.
Rob P

Postby Therion » Fri Aug 17, 2018 3:20 am

Xisor wrote:Finished "Straken" at the weekend there. What an unashamedly endearing book.

Lots of the usual Imperial Guard vs Orks action, but managed not to blunt its edge *and* wasn't wall-to-wall miserably depressing grimdark.

I mean, it was grim and it was dark, but I think I've strangely found myself a cheerleader for the Catachan worldview in 40k. A fair amount of people struggling with life and awful situations, yet also showing their struggle to get by, not as something easy and easily expected of everyone, but as the real focus of the novel.

Does it include massive casualties, including named characters dying?
"There can be no bystanders in the battle for survival. Anyone who will not fight by your side is an enemy you must crush" -Scriptorus Munificantus
Therion

Postby Xisor » Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:24 am

Therion wrote:
Xisor wrote:Finished "Straken" at the weekend there. What an unashamedly endearing book.

Does it include massive casualties, including named characters dying?

You morbid old fool, you. :roll: :P

Also: Yes
"When my housemate puts his bike in the middle of the living room floor, I find that inordinately jarring, annoying and rude, but for me to refer to it as "genocide" would be incorrect." -Ath
xisor.wordpress
Xisor
Site Admin

Postby Rob P » Sat Aug 18, 2018 3:16 pm

Sleeping Beauties was great. Classic King stuff.

not sure what to read next. I'm slightly irked by BL's decision to end the HH series and do a new siege siege so i'm protesting (for about 5 secs :lol: ) by not buying/reading BL stuff for a bit.
Rob P

Postby Chun the Unavoidable » Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:58 pm

I don't really know why it's taken so long for me to get to this: Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?, Philip K Dick.
Chun the Unavoidable

Postby Major Rawne » Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:33 pm

As it's another round of Summer of Reading from BL I hoped right into it last night with the first story, Two Metaphysical Blades by Chris Wraight. Besides the rubbish name it was an intriguing tale about two metaphysical blades. I feel though that there may be a small element i'm missing having not read Wolfsbane yet, or maybe this is the other way around and gives further insight.

Other reads are currently the ongoing lunchtime read of Trollslayer. Mighty good fun so far.

I am also waist deep into Rebecca Chambers Record of a Spaceborn Few, which is the third book in her Wayfarer series, and is a mightily enjoyable return to the universe. I must look up though how it ties into the first book as it hasn't jumped out at me.

Lastly I still have Soul Wars to finish. I kind of stopped as I was a little lost as to where it was all going after the brilliant start, hopefully Josh pulls it all back for the final quarter.
Major Rawne

Postby Xisor » Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:35 pm

I read Seventh Retribtuion over the weekend there.

My word, it's extraordinarily good. Ostensibly an 'internal housekeeping' story that (inevitably?) involves a bit of something else, and my word, does it involve.

It's typical Ben Counter, brilliantly imaginative and engagingly written, with the main characters being the scenery more than a typically characterful, character-driven story would permit - but Ben's cast is usually rich and engaging, and that's true here. It's just fairly wildly different from, say, Ravenor.

Nevertheless: bloody good.
xisor.wordpress
Xisor
Site Admin

Postby Major Rawne » Wed Aug 22, 2018 12:23 pm

Xisor wrote:I read Seventh Retribtuion over the weekend there.

My word, it's extraordinarily good. Ostensibly an 'internal housekeeping' story that (inevitably?) involves a bit of something else, and my word, does it involve.

It's typical Ben Counter, brilliantly imaginative and engagingly written, with the main characters being the scenery more than a typically characterful, character-driven story would permit - but Ben's cast is usually rich and engaging, and that's true here. It's just fairly wildly different from, say, Ravenor.

Nevertheless: bloody good.

How do you think it compares to Malodrax which is a very similar book? I agree with everything you say apart from the fact I found the Imperial Fists stuff somewhat bog standard. That's not to say it was bad, but didn't have the all encompassing brilliance Malodrax gave us.
Major Rawne

Postby Chun the Unavoidable » Wed Aug 22, 2018 6:13 pm

And now on to The Pale Horseman, Bernard Cornwell (second -I hope- of The Last Kingdom sequence).
Chun the Unavoidable

Postby Major Rawne » Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:47 pm

Since my last update I have got a whole host of reading done. A few more of BL's Summer of Reading 2018, all excellent. The rest will be read in short order no doubt.

Next was finishing off Record of a Spaceborn Few. Utterly marvellous all told. Then I got stuck right into something a little different, My Best Friends Exorcism. Again utterly marvellous pulpy teen horror set in the 80s.

Lastly I also got cracking on with The Magos. All the shorts are done with and I'm just left with the new novel to finish.

Up next is Lord of Ultramar.
Major Rawne

Postby Squiggle » Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:09 pm

Currently listening to the Lords of Silence audio book. It's quite brilliant.
If my mind's the weapon, my heart's the extra clip

Forum Moderator

@sqyiggle
Squiggle

Postby Chun the Unavoidable » Sun Sep 02, 2018 12:06 pm

Just completed the very strange Candy Man by Vincent King. Now on with C J Cherryh's Exile's Gate.
Chun the Unavoidable

Postby Vivia » Sun Sep 02, 2018 1:51 pm

Chun the Unavoidable wrote:Just completed the very strange Candy Man by Vincent King. Now on with C J Cherryh's Exile's Gate.

Let us know how Exile's Gate goes. I've always been curious about it, but after reading the Foreigner series, I stopped reading Cherryh, that series was not my thing (after buying 6 books! ).

I went from horror and weird fiction to the pulp stories. I discovered the pulp queens CL Moore and Leigh Brackett. They've the characters of Jirel of Joire, Eric John Stark and Northwest Smith. I found one of the Northwest story and the writing is amazing, the stories are from what I get totally bonkers. Love it!
Leigh Brackett is the screenwriter of The Empire Strikes Back, can she get more awesome. 8-)
There is nothing gay about the Princeton fight song. "Oh, the men of Princeton are charging up the rear, holding all the balls..." Okay, I hear it now. – Jack, episode Queen of Jordan
Vivia

Postby Chun the Unavoidable » Sun Sep 02, 2018 6:17 pm

I've got a collection of CL Moore shorts which I'm just under halfway through (I read it between novels) - very enjoyable. As to Exile's Gate - the three Morgaine books that precede it are excellent Fantasy (in an SF setting), which I've read through twice. But I know what you mean about Cherryh's style: she can get bogged down for pages and pages of angst and introspection... which is beautifully written about, nevertheless ;) .
Chun the Unavoidable

Postby Vivia » Sun Sep 09, 2018 2:10 pm

Oh, now I'm excited! I think I remember the fantasy in a sci-fi setting, thanks for reminding me. :o
I'm really into reading older fantasy (that's not New Wave, hmph), but after the horror that was Tanith Lee's fantasy work I put it off. I've the idea that Cherryh's fantasy fiction is way better than her sci-fi, I got into Foreigner from her fantasy short stories.

What's exciting about CL Moore is that she had similar monsters as Lovecraft before that was a thing. Both published in Weird Tales so maybe it was a thing at their time.
There is nothing gay about the Princeton fight song. "Oh, the men of Princeton are charging up the rear, holding all the balls..." Okay, I hear it now. – Jack, episode Queen of Jordan
Vivia

Postby Xisor » Sun Sep 09, 2018 4:45 pm

I'm happily reading away at "Call of Archaon". Some lovely aspects!

1- Rob Sanders! First of his I've read in ages (since 'Sons of the Hydra', I think)
2- this was still very much a product of the GW 2012-2015 tie-in period.
3- Guy Haley has navigated point #2 very remarkably. Or immensely levelled up at that point. His Khorne-focussed shorts have no business whatsoever being as good as they are!
4- the concept of Archaon in AoS still rubs me up wrongly, but I'm really curious how they proceed with it.
5- I'll be damned if I don't find the Many-Eyed Servant a remarkable character/presence/plot device.
6- I suppose I am damned, re:#5, no matter which way I cut it!
7- Also, peculiarly re: heavy handed tie-in, I don't think the words "gaunt summoner" have been used yet...
xisor.wordpress
Xisor
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Board index

Return to Black Library - Products and Events