What Are You Reading?

Considering Black Library books, products and events.

Re: What Are You Reading?

Postby Therion » Tue Aug 07, 2018 2:36 pm

Still reading Mechanicum. Slowly nearing to the end. The choices of scenes of illustrations are a bit weird. For example the Kaban machine is illustrated, like several hundred pages after it was introduced. I wish there would be, like 10x more illustrations.
I think Delia is one of my favourite characters so far. I guess it's because she's more human than most of characters in the setting. Which is somewhat understandable XD .

Have noticed that some audio-dramas are somewhat affordable - costing, like 2 coffees, so I got one - of course, it was A Lesson In Darkness about my beloved Night Lords and Konrad Curze XD . I enjoyed it a lot XD . Didn't expect Curze to sound like that but the voice fits very well.
I recently realized that Curze probably isn't the most like Batman or even Punisher but like Jack the Ripper.

JavaScript & jQuery: interactive front-end development. This one is in colour and with a lot of pictures and schematics. Nice.
"There can be no bystanders in the battle for survival. Anyone who will not fight by your side is an enemy you must crush" -Scriptorus Munificantus
Therion

Postby Chun the Unavoidable » Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:08 pm

Now reading Lycanthia, Tanith Lee.
Chun the Unavoidable

Postby Xisor » Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:36 pm

Finished "Straken" at the weekend there. What an unashamedly endearing book.

Lots of the usual Imperial Guard vs Orks action, but managed not to blunt its edge *and* wasn't wall-to-wall miserably depressing grimdark.

I mean, it was grim and it was dark, but I think I've strangely found myself a cheerleader for the Catachan worldview in 40k. A fair amount of people struggling with life and awful situations, yet also showing their struggle to get by, not as something easy and easily expected of everyone, but as the real focus of the novel.

I'm really impressed with it.

In contrast to the more mind-boggling of Fehervari's (brilliant in any event!), or the more withering take from Williams' 'Imperial Glory' (also brilliant), this is both an easier read, and yet arguably a more daring one.

Well, more and easier are very subjective in this case. But put Straken and Imperial Glory and Fire Caste beside one another and you have three very different, yet strikingly similar, novels.

Hell, Gunheads & Baneblade, sit nicely in there too.

Imperial Guard stories: great stuff! Who knew?!
"When my housemate puts his bike in the middle of the living room floor, I find that inordinately jarring, annoying and rude, but for me to refer to it as "genocide" would be incorrect." -Ath
xisor.wordpress
Xisor's Dice-o-matic Maiminator
Xisor
Site Admin

Postby Chun the Unavoidable » Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:13 pm

Time to see what the fuss was about: The Three-Body Problem, Cixin Liu (translated by Ken Liu).
Chun the Unavoidable

Postby Rob P » Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:50 pm

Yup. Very fond memories of Imperial Glory. I find that my expectations of IG books are always low so they always exceed them. But not to take away from the fact I've really enjoyed them. Not saying my expectation meant a crap book seemed good, but rather that good books just can't meet the upper end of my expectations.

On that note, finished Slaves to Darkness. Expectations were high and it was very meh. Would need to spoil to explain.

Just read Engaging the Anomalous: Collected Essays on Anthropology, the Paranormal, Mediumship and Extraordinary Experience by Jack Hunter. Fantastic insight into the subject matter. Would love to meet this guy.

Now onto Stephen King's Sleeping Beauties.
Rob P

Previous

Return to Board index

Return to Black Library - Products and Events