What Are You Reading?

Considering Black Library books, products and events.

Re: What Are You Reading?

Postby Duke_Leto » Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:25 am

So after a BL hiatus over December/January (following on from reading Warmaster I needed to let it settle and then Star Wars came out and obsessed me for a few weeks and then I dived into a few crime novels by Peter James) I then restarted my BL reading habit with The Magos...

BL hunger rekindled I worked my way through a very tasty set of books:

Pariah = well I just had to dive back in and read for the third time following on from The Magos and all those shorts.
Firecaste = dark, awesome, full attention requiring. Loved it. Need more Ferhervari (yes I was late to this party).
Watchers of the Throne: The Emperors Legion = very nice indeed. Great read (my first set in the "new era"). Chris Wraight gets better and better.
Black Legion = was good/solid but...didn't find it quite as engaging as I had hoped. I know lots of people are massive ADB fanboys which is fine. I think that may be because of how he expands the lore and delves into unexplored corners but...sometimes I find his writing a bit, hmmm, dull? Saying that there were some brilliant bits, really brilliant bits.

I am now embarking on a massive HH binge in an effort to start catching up. As I categorically refuse to buy the HH books in anything other than MMPB format (well they look nice a uniform on my shelf) it means I am way behind the curve of releases. In addition after reading Deathfire I just needed an HH break which ended up being fairly extended!

So I am now reading War Without End (though not reading every short, just those taking my fancy) then...

- Pharos
- Eye of Terra
- The Path of Heaven
- The Silent War
- Angels of Caliban
- Praetorian of Dorn

Which should nicely bring me to the point where Corax is released as a MMPB and/or even Master of Mankind (just in time for my holiday in July).
Duke_Leto

Postby Major Rawne » Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:38 pm

With my week off over I knocked out a few titles I had been meaning to read for a while. First up was Spear of Macragge followed swiftly by The Hunt for Magnus, both thoroughly enjoyable, though perhaps would have benefited from being read with their prospective tie in novels.

I then raced my way through the Age of Sigmar Call of Chaos advent bundle from a couple of years ago. This was not very good, might put the 40k Call of Chaos off for a while if it's going to be of the same quality.

Next up were a couple of free part 1's to a couple of serialised novels, The Lost King and Furnaces of Haeleon. The former being particularly good.

Finally I made a move away from BL and got stuck into A Closed and Common Orbit, book 2 of the Wayfarer series from Becky Chambers. It is so far turning out to be an absolutely beautiful follow up to the first book, and making me salivate for the third even though i'm only halfway through.

Lunch time reading will be taken getting caught up on the Heresy as I did make a promise to myself to get caught on everything i'd bought this year. First in that goal is Eye of Terra.

Phew!
Major Rawne

Postby Aristedes Colettas » Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:47 pm

Finished Scythes Of The Emperor not bad some harrowing stunts by the Scythes in battling the Tyranids a solid 7/10.

Now unto the 42nd Millennium and Dark Imperium by Guy Haley

Cheers
Aristedes Colettas

Postby Therion » Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:31 am

Even if I’m temporarily happy, reading about their repulsive privilege just makes me livid for hours.
It’s just so painful, knowing they are playing life in easy mode and are constantly rewarded for it, while I have to play in difficult mode and I’m constantly punished for it.

MODXISOR: Language and imagery not at all appropriate; heavily edited. This is not a punching bag; it's also not Sanity Lost.
"There can be no bystanders in the battle for survival. Anyone who will not fight by your side is an enemy you must crush" -Scriptorus Munificantus
Therion

Postby Chun the Unavoidable » Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:37 pm

An Alastair Reynolds novella: Slow Bullets.
Chun the Unavoidable

Postby Major Rawne » Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:27 pm

Finished A Closed and Common Orbit Saturday morning and it was an utter joy to read from start to finish. Can't wait for the next book later this year.

I then dove right into Frankenstein which is a book I was meant to read in school but being a teenager I wasn't having any of the nonsense. Didn't manage to finish it over the weekend as I had hoped but I am rather enjoying it. Whilst I did anticipate that it would be very different to the more popularised story of today I didn't appreciate how different that language of the time was, it's quite fascinating.
Major Rawne

Postby Xisor » Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:56 pm

Major Rawne wrote:Finished A Closed and Common Orbit Saturday morning and it was an utter joy to read from start to finish. Can't wait for the next book later this year.

I then dove right into Frankenstein which is a book I was meant to read in school but being a teenager I wasn't having any of the nonsense. Didn't manage to finish it over the weekend as I had hoped but I am rather enjoying it. Whilst I did anticipate that it would be very different to the more popularised story of today I didn't appreciate how different that language of the time was, it's quite fascinating.

Man alive! Frankenstein is a favourite of mine. We did the play & film at high school, but not the book itself. Only managed it many years later whilst fleeing from Magalluf. It's a much easier read than Dracula, that's for sure. Less arch, and certainly less purple. But I also thought that, of many classics, it's a surprisingly pacy wee thing; easy reading, given its age.

Jist about finished "Back from the Dead" by Kyme. Feels half way between a cop thriller, and a (good) shaggy dog story. It's really easy going, and has just enough meat on the bones to keep it interesting without being overbearing.

In that respect, you might call it a shaggy zombie story.

It's pleasant though. Love the Necromunda stuff.

---

Keeping with the 2000AD feel, I also finished "V for Vendetta" which is pretty damn compelling, even this many years later, and especially given "the situation" we look out at nowadays. It's pretty galvanising, even if also not quite the call to action the Internet might have you suspect it to be. :lol:

----

Made a good bit of progress in through "Divided" too, where non-fiction and the world beyond me is concerned. I'd no idea, not properly, behind the severity of issues facing Bangladesh. (Indian Subcontinent is the Chapter I'm at.) Neither the history, nor the current state of affairsnor how the prospects look into the future.

I'd say galvanising again, but it's more pralysing than all that.
"When my housemate puts his bike in the middle of the living room floor, I find that inordinately jarring, annoying and rude, but for me to refer to it as "genocide" would be incorrect." -Ath
xisor.wordpress
Xisor's Dice-o-matic Maiminator
Xisor
Site Admin

Postby Squiggle » Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:00 pm

Re-reading The Flight of the Eisenstein. Because it is such a great book.
If my mind's the weapon, my heart's the extra clip

Forum Moderator

@sqyiggle
Squiggle

Postby Chun the Unavoidable » Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:57 pm

Jamrach's Menagerie, Carol Birch.
Chun the Unavoidable

Postby Aristedes Colettas » Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:20 am

Praise to Guy Haley

Wow!!!! Finished Dark Imperium by Guy Haley. I must say 10/10 that’s three in a row to Guy “the Machine” Haley from Dante to Devastation of Baal and now Dark Imperium all three perfection personified. This one had everything. A plethora of Space Marine Chapters, Sisters Of Silence, Adeptus Custodes. Loved all the Daemons and especially Mortarion.

Perusing the internet I noticed many forthcoming Guy Haley novels. For HH Wolfsbane, Beta Garmon, Corax for Primarch series and a Dark Imperium II.
Can’t wait.

Now back to the Horus Heresy and Reading Angels Of Caliban by Gav Thorpe.

Cheers
Aristedes Colettas

Postby Major Rawne » Tue May 01, 2018 9:29 pm

Took the time to finish off the last couple of chapters of Frankenstein last night. All told by the end I thought it was a marvelous read.

At lunch today I finished the last of the stories I'd not previously read in Eye of Terra. Again some great stuff going on.

Next read is going to be Path of Heaven, which if I believe the voices on the Internet is rather quite good.
Major Rawne

Postby Aristedes Colettas » Fri May 04, 2018 1:30 am

Just finished Angels Of Caliban. I loved this one 10 out of 10 for me. Not much action but the conversation between the Lion, Sanguinius, Guilliman phenomenal. Reading this after reading Dark Imperium and going back to this time period of the Horus Heresy brings to mind that I hope Lion El Johnson is the next Primarch to return in the 42nd Millennium.

Since Sanguinius has been deemed Emperor on Imperium Secundus it’s like caging a bird so to speak. He’s so sad and bored. Guilliman is viewed by many as flawless but his weakness is that he’s not always sure and must debate between the theoretical and practical and philosophize his decisions to justify he’s made the correct choice.

The setting on Caliban and the so called Lutherites seem justified based on the fact they have essentially been left out. Albeit flawed in their judgement in the end they do have a valid argument. Luther is so conniving and twisted that I hate him and want the Lion to do away with him. So praise to Gav Thorpe for actually creating that emotion in the reader at such a sly villain.

Debates online state that some people think Curze is still alive in the 41st Millennium. I’m convinced after this novel he’s not despite no verification on the video feed going out just before the Assassin kills him after the Horus Heresy.

My favourite was Holguin of the Dark Angels. His honesty and truthfulness are deemed exemplorary by the Lion whenever he asks for his opinion. Holguin fears he will be punished for this but it never arises. Hope to see more of him.

Now still sticking with Gav Thorpe now off to read Space Marine Legends – AZRAEL

Cheers
Aristedes Colettas

Postby Chun the Unavoidable » Sat May 05, 2018 1:33 pm

Seeds of Earth, Michael Cobley.
Chun the Unavoidable

Postby Xisor » Sun May 06, 2018 11:04 am

Finished off "Imperator: Wrath of the Omnissiah"yesterday - hell of a book. Vivid, claustrophobic, intimate and extremely human. Really enjoyed it for its creativeness and the sense of life breathed into the Titans. Excellent characters in it too, as well as a charming little bit of world-building in bringing Metalica to life from afar. ( :twisted: )

Has me very excited to jump on in to "Voice of Mars" now too.

Hail the Omnissiah, all praise the Machine God.
"When my housemate puts his bike in the middle of the living room floor, I find that inordinately jarring, annoying and rude, but for me to refer to it as "genocide" would be incorrect." -Ath
xisor.wordpress
Xisor
Site Admin

Postby Fenris » Mon May 07, 2018 6:16 pm

Honestly speaking,the only thing i've been reading lately has been the serie of AoS short they are publishing for free...weekly?Cant remember...there (link is to the newer one).
Surprisingly,i found them all around decent or better.Suitably "warhammer grimdark" too.And you cant beat the price of 0 euros...
Thrusting his thunder hammer into the sky, he shouted—so that all could hear "Primarch.Progenitor, to your glory!"
"And to the glory of Him on Earth!" his brothers bellowed in response
-
A knight is sworn to valor. His heart knows only virtue. His blade defends the helpless. His word speaks only truth. His wrath undoes the wicked
Fenris

Postby Aristedes Colettas » Wed May 09, 2018 1:48 am

Finished Azrael by Gav Thorpe. The action really ramped up once the Eldar showed up. Good read. 8/10.

I have had this on the shelf for a long while. Continuing with Gav Thorpe and delving into the Eldar going to read Path Of The Warrior.

Cheers
Aristedes Colettas

Postby Chun the Unavoidable » Wed May 09, 2018 7:52 pm

The Quantum Thief, Hannu Rajaniemi.
Chun the Unavoidable

Postby Major Rawne » Mon May 14, 2018 12:24 pm

Finished up Path of Heaven yesterday morning. Excellent stuff.

Diving into the next couple to Heresy titles for my next reads. For my Lunch break I have Angels of Caliban on the go, loved the opening prologue, so much going on. And for the evenings I have The Silent War, where i'm just reading the stories I haven't read yet, which in this instance is more than I expected.
Major Rawne

Postby Duke_Leto » Tue May 15, 2018 8:12 am

Major Rawne wrote:Finished up Path of Heaven yesterday morning. Excellent stuff.

Diving into the next couple to Heresy titles for my next reads. For my Lunch break I have Angels of Caliban on the go, loved the opening prologue, so much going on. And for the evenings I have The Silent War, where i'm just reading the stories I haven't read yet, which in this instance is more than I expected.

Ah a fellow boltholer who is behind the curve on the HH like me! Though truly admire you switching between books (can't do that myself).

I am currently reading Path of Heaven and I agree, very good so far. Chris Wraight seems to be very good at tying together various threads from other books and giving the reader the "state of the universe" without it feeling shoehorned in.

As I said above I am on an HH MMPB binge. Pharos was pretty good. It is harder to say about the anthologies (War Without End and Eye of Terra) as I find myself choosing to only read those shorts that appealed rather than all of them. The novella Aurelian was awesome (yep very behind the curve for me as never bought any novella).
Duke_Leto

Postby Xisor » Tue May 15, 2018 10:07 am

I'm on "The Voice of Mars" after "Wrath of the Omnissiah", two very different but very good books. Heavily enjoying VoM. :ugeek:
xisor.wordpress
Xisor
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Board index

Return to Black Library - Products and Events