So,what's left on the building table...

A place to discuss all Warhammer-related background and products not explicitly connected to the Black Library.

So,what's left on the building table...

Postby Fenris » Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:22 pm

The Dorn post got me thinking about all the stuff i got left aside to build.

So,i went and did a quick scan of my backlogged models and...Well,things arent looking good :oops:

Ordered by army:

40k SM

-1 tactical squad (latest version...got way too many of them already but...)
-1 devastator squad (see above)
-1 sternguard squad (once again, ^ )
-1 primaris captain (the special edition one in power armor,since the gravis one looks like a fat marine)
-1 inceptor squad (i kinda like them,they are the primaris equivalent of oldmarines bikes and i play the bike company...)
-1 razorback (the first veichle i bought in 10 years[seriously,save for a LR my other SM veichles are all 2nd edition],dreadnoughts excluded)
-1 contemptor dreadnought (original one FW made before the 2 gazillions variants...It's actually fully built and magnetized save for the head and the knee guards...)

40k eldars

-1 spiritseer (why is this unbuilt?it's a 3 parts model..)
-1 bonesinger (same as above)
-1 night spinner (similar to the contemptor,90% built but i never finished it for reasons i cant even recall right now)
-1 squad of wraithguards (started magnetizing them but it was hell and the project drifted into forgotten lands...)

Knights and related

-1 full knight (see Dorn below for the reason)
-1 armiger warglaive (actually,the second one is the latest model i built last week,so there's hope there...Stiiiiilllll...The armor's not attached to that one yet because...Again,see below)
-1 tech priest dominus and a squad of skitarii (so,the rest of Forgebane...)

30k SM

-1 squad of cataphractii (seriously,once again magnetizing was my downfall,i have 3 fully build with 2 sets of arms each ready...but it took soo long to do it half decently that i just stopped)
-1 chaplain (see the spiritseer)
-3 tactical and 1 veteran squads
-So yeah,basically most of Betrayal at Calth
-Rogal Dorn (not assembling him because i fear that'll make painting him a damn harder job...But at the same time,i dont know when i'll have the courage to try painting him...)

AoS

-1 squad of Kurnoth Hunters (i picked them up because i love the sylvaneth style from the time they were still part of the wood elves,reason why i already had dryads and a treeman, but AoS has failed to grasp me in any meaningful way yet and so i have no drive to build the kit..)

I should really work on some of that...but the problems is almost always the same,i dont build because it makes painting harder,but then i dont paint because i'm painfully aware i'm crap at it..
Last edited by Fenris on Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Thrusting his thunder hammer into the sky, he shouted—so that all could hear "Primarch.Progenitor, to your glory!"
"And to the glory of Him on Earth!" his brothers bellowed in response
-
A knight is sworn to valor. His heart knows only virtue. His blade defends the helpless. His word speaks only truth. His wrath undoes the wicked
Fenris

Re: So,what's left on the building table...

Postby Squiggle » Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:17 am

Best painting tip I can give you is to simply basecoat as nearly as you can and then use washes for your shading. I reckon you will be pleasantly surprised at the results!

My building box isn't too bad now. I've mainly been painting death guard and trying to finally finish an iron warriors army I have had for ages. Only things unbuilt are two blood bowl teams and a box of aos grundstok thunderers that i bought on a whim. Oops!!

I've also got the contents of warhammer quest shadows under hammerhal to undercoat and paint.

Good luck with yours.
If my mind's the weapon, my heart's the extra clip

Forum Moderator

@sqyiggle
Squiggle

Postby Xisor » Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:21 am

100% echo Squiggle there. A neat basecoat with a wash or two looks lovely - then you can leisurely layer/add highlights as you please. But the addition of that wash makes it go from "urgh" to "actually, from a foot or more away, that looks lovely".

It's a very nice feeling, and one that's largely independent of skill (but rewards a bit of finesse, I suppose).

Myself, I've got:
1 Raider
The Triumverate of Ynnead
The Gangs of Commoragh (10 Hellions, 5 Reavers)
Chaos Dwarf Blood Bowl Team & Trophies
Some Malifaux kits for a bit of variety.

But then I've had the luxury of a lot of free time and managed to get a lot done over the last few months (see the Watchers Station, The Dance Without End and the 9-Pi-2 Maniple/Hovid Ecumenacy threads for examples).

---

I've really enjoyed biting off more than I can chew with them. A big forlorn hope of a charge into the impossible. It gets more done than me attempting to methodically work in bitesize chunks! :lol:
"When my housemate puts his bike in the middle of the living room floor, I find that inordinately jarring, annoying and rude, but for me to refer to it as "genocide" would be incorrect." -Ath
xisor.wordpress
Xisor's Dice-o-matic Maiminator
Xisor
Site Admin

Postby Fenris » Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:16 pm

I actually managed to get my first "oh god,it almost looks decent" marine recently by doing pretty much that:averland sunset spray basecoat + sepia wash on recesses + yellow wash on everything

Still,it takes a lot of time (with my ability) and then there's the problem of doing details :oops:
Thrusting his thunder hammer into the sky, he shouted—so that all could hear "Primarch.Progenitor, to your glory!"
-
A knight is sworn to valor. His heart knows only virtue. His blade defends the helpless. His word speaks only truth. His wrath undoes the wicked
Fenris

Postby Xisor » Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:53 pm

Details? I made the horrifying mistake of painting Skitarii.

They're gorgeous models, but holy hell do they have many, intricate, tiny details! :o

Good work on it though, Fenris! If I worry too much, I take my glasses off and look at them from a bit further away!
"When my housemate puts his bike in the middle of the living room floor, I find that inordinately jarring, annoying and rude, but for me to refer to it as "genocide" would be incorrect." -Ath
xisor.wordpress
Xisor
Site Admin

Postby Fenris » Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:13 pm

Just put together the spiritseer and i realized why i left him behind

It's finecast

Original finecast

:?
-
Fenris

Postby Fenris » Sat Jun 02, 2018 12:23 pm

I just added 2 more knights to the list

Curse you GW :cry:
-
Fenris

Postby Xisor » Sat Jun 02, 2018 11:04 pm

I've got the Gangs of Commorragh & Triumvirate of the Eldar sat primed but still to build and paint.

I'm midway through painting a wee pile of Necromunda/Inquisition stuff too - lots of odd little (and large, Karamazov!) Bits and pieces. I'm really keen to get them done as I've a few wee extra ideas to sort out too, or at least that I'd like to get to.

Many things! Too many!
xisor.wordpress
Xisor
Site Admin

Postby Fenris » Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:04 pm

*Shitty painting intensifies*
-
Fenris

Postby Xisor » Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:30 pm

Fenris wrote:Image
*Shitty painting intensifies*

Ooft, no, that's a terrific scheme. Dear to my heart, especially if it's to be 'industrial yellow' rather than... Bretonnian! :D More: it's still WIP, ya dafty! :)

----

Incidentally, if you notice from the quote above that I altered the [img] tag contents to read:
https://i.imgur.com/recVew7l.jpg
rather than:
https://i.imgur.com/recVew7.jpg

Scales the image down to 'large' but not humungous, without altering the actual 'master copy' that Imgur holds! Very handy for on forums. (And also mad that it's still 'necessary' in 2018, but I think that's a note for me and the forum's code, rather than an inditement of the rest of society. I digress :oops: :lol: ...)
xisor.wordpress
Xisor
Site Admin

Postby Fenris » Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:14 pm

Sadly the top of the carapace is a mess because i smartly decided to spray averland sunset on a day with 100% humidity

The paint didnt take kindly to that,and i couldnt redo it because it was glued to the model :cry:

Everything else looks almost nice.From afar at least
-
Fenris

Postby Fenris » Sun Jul 01, 2018 5:36 pm

More work

-
Fenris

Postby Fenris » Sun Jul 22, 2018 4:36 pm

Managed to pick it back for a few (/too many for the results) hours today
-
Fenris

Postby Xisor » Fri Jul 27, 2018 11:07 am

With the weather, I'm stuck having done *nothing* hobbywise the last fortnight.

Paint dries put in the brush before it gets close to the model! :evil:

On the upside, the weather's been very nice!
xisor.wordpress
Xisor
Site Admin

Postby Fenris » Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:53 pm

And it's done

Badly,but done

Now...

...to see if i can improve on it

(I'd really want to build one of my 3 full knights but i don't dare painting it,yet)
-
Fenris

Return to Board index

Return to Worlds of Warhammer