Short story idea a day for 2018.

Got some current fan fiction? 40k, WFB, Age of Sigmar and all other fiction is to be found here.

Short story idea a day for 2018.

Postby interrogatorchaplain » Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:14 am

Hi all, I've been immersed in the writings and fiction of the Black Library for more than a decade by this point and it was this year I was struck by the sheer depth and breadth of the 40k universe, how there are hundreds and hundreds of inspirations for stories untold, and I want to see if there's enough material out there to put out an idea a day for a short story set in the 40k universe specifically. I used to read stories in The World That Was, but those days are over, I am also a voracious Horus Heresy reader, but I don't feel right intruding in that focused narrative and I haven't even begun to figure out where to start in the Mortal Realms.
As a longtime denizen of the 41st/42nd Millenium, I feel it's the best sandbox with which to play with ideas. I will start by stating that my experience is mostly with the Imperium, especially the Dark Angels, but I will attempt to tease out ideas from all aspects of the Dark Imperium with a desire to shed light on the smaller characters and the well recognized equally. In the grim darkness of the far future, there is only war, but that war affects others far from the battlefield and I want to toss out potential story ideas that deal with their part in the long war just as much as the soldiers on the frontlines. Will every idea be a great one, but I feel like there's a massive amount of room to provide inspiration and a starting point to a great story.
But why am I not writing these myself? I've never really been much of a writer myself, painting's more my hobby, but who knows, I might get an idea so intriguing even I might have to take a crack at it and spend some time teasing that idea into a story. I give my permission to anyone who would like to take one of these stories as a jumping off point and run with it, (That goes for the BL authors as well. ;) ) all I'd ask for is to remember who gave it to you. ;) So my plan for 2018 is to post a short story idea for a day to primarily the Black Library Facebook page and here on the BL Bolthole mostly just for the fun of it, and who knows what'll happen in between.
365 ideas for short stories in the 40k universe? Sounds like fun, lets get started:

1. A master assassin from the Vindicare temple on a mission meets their match as the primary objective takes a back seat to a confrontation with the infamous Eldar Ranger Illic Nightspear.
interrogatorchaplain

Re: Short story idea a day for 2018.

Postby interrogatorchaplain » Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:02 am

2. The leaders of a heretic occupation of an Imperial city learn the true meaning of fear as a squad of Terror Tigers Reivers sets out to end their despotic stranglehold.
interrogatorchaplain

Postby interrogatorchaplain » Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:05 am

3. An Imperial barrister's world gets turned upside down as the Tyranids invade the planet, now the race is on to get across the invaded city and reach the evacuation dropships.
interrogatorchaplain

Postby interrogatorchaplain » Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:01 am

4. The son of an Arbites Judge out with his friends runs across a cult in the backwoods, and must escape and warn his father.
interrogatorchaplain

Postby interrogatorchaplain » Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:09 am

5. A Sentinel squad is stalked by creatures unknown on a recon mission.
interrogatorchaplain

Postby interrogatorchaplain » Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:13 am

6. A junior Inquisitor must suddenly make a moral decision and walk the line between radical and loyal when she learns how to create a Daemonhost.
interrogatorchaplain

Postby interrogatorchaplain » Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:47 am

7. A shopkeeper whose friends were killed by Arbites accidentally during a riot seeks out a Khornate Blood Cult in a bid for revenge.
interrogatorchaplain

Postby interrogatorchaplain » Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:02 am

8. When Imperial Navy reinforcements arrive they are shocked to find that the distress signal they're responding to hasn't even been issued (Thanks to the peculiarities of Warp Travel), and the fleet they've come to reinforce haven't even been attacked. Is it a stroke of luck or part of a greater trap?
interrogatorchaplain

Postby interrogatorchaplain » Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:45 am

9. The lifetime of service from the perspective of a humble Rhino's machine spirit is recounted.
interrogatorchaplain

Postby interrogatorchaplain » Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:42 am

10. A Guard general fights to maintain her battleline in the face of a great Tyranid push, when an Ordo Xenos Inquisitor informs her a Guard counter attack will allow for a strike by the Deathwatch to decapitate the enemy leadership, but the cost will be high.
interrogatorchaplain

Postby interrogatorchaplain » Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:01 am

11. A pious preacher from a backwater world must confront the corruption and decadence in the sector Ministorum headquarters when he is recalled.
interrogatorchaplain

Postby interrogatorchaplain » Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:13 am

12. The ripple effect from a typo on a Munitorum requisition form is followed to its disastrous conclusion.
interrogatorchaplain

Postby Squiggle » Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:11 pm

loads of great ideas.... with the Black Library submissions window now open make sure you don't give away your best ones!
If my mind's the weapon, my heart's the extra clip

Forum Moderator

@sqyiggle
Squiggle

Postby interrogatorchaplain » Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:05 pm

13. An arrogant Primaris Marine finds that his enhanced reflexes, strength and cunning can still be no match for experience when his non-Primaris Company Lieutenant humbles him.
interrogatorchaplain

Postby interrogatorchaplain » Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:11 pm

@Squiggle I have a story in my back pocket that I kept on to, because it feels like a story I would enjoy writing. I'll probably submit it, but I have to tease the story out a little more and work on the motivations and manipulations between the two characters. It involves a lot of back and forth between the two characters and I'm just not sure how to go about the dialogue of completely upending a characters most foundational beliefs.

But more to it, these are all stories that I would be thrilled to read, even if I don't pen them myself. If someone takes an idea from this thread as a springboard to create a story that gets them into a BL book, I would be over the moon.
interrogatorchaplain

Postby interrogatorchaplain » Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:40 am

14. The triumph of toppling the traitorus Governor and his forces is short lived as the Guard and Mechanicus must now deal with his doomsday protocol.
interrogatorchaplain

Postby interrogatorchaplain » Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:19 am

15. A couple of drunken townsfolk accidentally stumble into a webway portal, hijinks ensues.
interrogatorchaplain

Postby Squiggle » Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:11 pm

I like 9. That's a grest idea.
If my mind's the weapon, my heart's the extra clip

Forum Moderator

@sqyiggle
Squiggle

Postby interrogatorchaplain » Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:00 am

16. A good, Emperor-fearing farmer stumbles upon evidence of his neighbours corruption and takes matters into his own hands.
interrogatorchaplain

Postby interrogatorchaplain » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:05 pm

17. Boy keeps a infant Cthellan Cudbear as a pet and has to make a hard descision when people around the town go missing.
interrogatorchaplain

Next

Return to Board index

Return to Fan Fiction