Black Library Release Calendar

Considering Black Library books, products and events.

Re: Black Library Release Calendar

Postby Xisor » Thu Mar 03, 2016 11:30 pm

Fenris wrote:4 novels are unexpected after the last years :lol:

Not to forget weve already had War Without End - which was a hell of a read as it was. Decent quality, even McNeill's stories didn't annoy me as much as all that, and though Pharos varies for my tastes, it's nevertheless an enjoyable novel that's touched on a lot of things that had just been annoyingly overlooked heretofore.

To say I'm excited for these forthcoming ones would be an understatement.
"When my housemate puts his bike in the middle of the living room floor, I find that inordinately jarring, annoying and rude, but for me to refer to it as "genocide" would be incorrect." -Ath
xisor.wordpress
Xisor's Dice-o-matic Maiminator
Xisor
Site Admin

Postby reds8n » Fri Mar 04, 2016 11:37 am

Book XXXV: Eye of Terra – an anthology
Book XXXVI: Path of Heaven – a novel by Chris Wraight
Book XXXVII: The Silent War – an anthology
Book XXXVIII: Angels of Caliban – a novel by Gav Thorpe

via the BL site.
reds8n

Postby Lord of the Night » Sat Mar 05, 2016 11:13 pm

Was out tonight and nipped into the local Travelling Man to see what new GW/BL stuff they had, and saw two upcoming releases already available there. The Last Wall, the fourth book in The Beast Arises series, and the paperback of Kharn: Eater of Worlds, will be the next 40k releases from BL, likely in the coming week.

LotN
http://www.talkwargaming.com/search/lab ... %20Reviews - Black Library Reviews by Lord of the Night@Talk Wargaming
Lord of the Night

Postby Fenris » Sun Mar 06, 2016 5:53 am

Lord of the Night wrote:Was out tonight and nipped into the local Travelling Man to see what new GW/BL stuff they had, and saw two upcoming releases already available there. The Last Wall, the fourth book in The Beast Arises series, and the paperback of Kharn: Eater of Worlds, will be the next 40k releases from BL, likely in the coming week.

LotN

The Last wall should be next friday i guess,going with the 1-month cycle
Thrusting his thunder hammer into the sky, he shouted—so that all could hear "Primarch.Progenitor, to your glory!"
"And to the glory of Him on Earth!" his brothers bellowed in response
-
A knight is sworn to valor. His heart knows only virtue. His blade defends the helpless. His word speaks only truth. His wrath undoes the wicked
Fenris

Postby Lord of the Night » Mon Mar 07, 2016 8:28 am

BL has claimed that 2016 is the year of the Horus Heresy, and they weren't lying;

This is exactly what is needed to flesh out the Horus Heresy further while at the same time keeping the main series focused on the primary story. A supplementary series about the Primarchs is brilliant, even if it's a victim of Black Library's new novellas as novels policy at only 240 pages (What the f*** Black Library!?), this is where the novel Descent of Angels should have been found.

LotN
http://www.talkwargaming.com/search/lab ... %20Reviews - Black Library Reviews by Lord of the Night@Talk Wargaming
Lord of the Night

Postby Major Rawne » Mon Mar 07, 2016 2:25 pm

Lord of the Night wrote:BL has claimed that 2016 is the year of the Horus Heresy, and they weren't lying;

This is exactly what is needed to flesh out the Horus Heresy further while at the same time keeping the main series focused on the primary story. A supplementary series about the Primarchs is brilliant, even if it's a victim of Black Library's new novellas as novels policy at only 240 pages (What the f*** Black Library!?), this is where the novel Descent of Angels should have been found.

LotN

In the words of Captain America, Language!

I also saw rumour of a Leman Russ Novel as part of that series too, which could be very good depending on where and when they are set. I'd also so argue that they are short novels rather than novellas, which I think is working really well for the Beast Arises so is very welcome, and I am also of the opinion that BL for too long has been stuck in the rut of doing 400pg / 100k word books when it's not really been justified. It also goes for some longer fiction too, i'm sure there are more opourtunties for some 600pg / 180-200k word books.

To keep on topic there was also a few other titles that I spotted in my twitter feed as being on the horizon:

Praetorian of Dorn - John French
Leman Russ: The Great Wolf - Chris Wraight
The Beast Arises 8 - The Beast Must Die - Gav Thrope
The Beast Arises 9 - Watchers in Death - David Annandale
The Beast Arises 10 - The Last Son of Dorn - David Guymer
The Beast Arises 11 - Shadow of Ullanor - Rob Sanders
The Beast Arises 12 - The Beheading - Guy Haley
Shadowsword - Guy Haley
Warden of the Blade - David Annandale
Fabius Bile: Progenitor - Josh Reynolds
Carharadons: Red Tithe - Robbie Macniven
Major Rawne

Postby Fenris » Mon Mar 07, 2016 3:49 pm

I'd argue that the short pagecount is exactly the only thing working against TBA so far,truth to be told.
Thrusting his thunder hammer into the sky, he shouted—so that all could hear "Primarch.Progenitor, to your glory!"
-
A knight is sworn to valor. His heart knows only virtue. His blade defends the helpless. His word speaks only truth. His wrath undoes the wicked
Fenris

Postby Fenris » Mon Mar 07, 2016 4:28 pm

http://www.blacklibrary.com/all-product ... short.html

A new freebie-first issue-out-of-a-lot-of-them

This time 40k,a new serie about Kharn

P.s: in a move that baffles the mind,if you use the download link at the bottom instead of the one at the top,you ACTUALLY get an extract of the free issue instead of the full short.

What's the point?No idea :lol:
-
Fenris

Postby Lord of the Night » Mon Mar 07, 2016 7:45 pm

Major Rawne wrote:In the words of Captain America, Language!

In the words of Iron Man, nobody's going to address the fact that Rawne just said language? ;)

Major Rawne wrote:I also saw rumour of a Leman Russ Novel as part of that series too, which could be very good depending on where and when they are set.

If there is to be a Leman Russ origin story there are three events that it MUST HAVE. I of course refer to the legendary contests between the Emperor and Russ, a contest of drinking, a contest of eating, and then the great contest of combat where the Big E pimped slapped Russ, called him an idiot and won his loyalty.

I just really want to see what the Big E's reaction was to being challenged to drink his son under the table. Who knows, Guilliman was cool with a similar challenge, maybe the Emperor would have gotten into it. :lol:

Major Rawne wrote:I'd also so argue that they are short novels rather than novellas, which I think is working really well for the Beast Arises so is very welcome, and I am also of the opinion that BL for too long has been stuck in the rut of doing 400pg / 100k word books when it's not really been justified. It also goes for some longer fiction too, i'm sure there are more opourtunties for some 600pg / 180-200k word books.

I don't. To me a true novel is 250+ pages, 300 is acceptable but I would much prefer 400+. Anything lower than two-forty is a novella of a varying size.

LotN
Lord of the Night

Postby Lord of the Night » Mon Mar 07, 2016 7:50 pm

Fabius Bile: Progenitor wrote:The first novel in a new trilogy featuring the the infamous mad scientist Fabius Bile.

He is known by many names – Clonelord, Manflayer, Primogenitor. He is the epitome of deceit and perversion, and feared by man and monster alike. Once the chief apothecary of the Emperor's Children, the madman known as Fabius Bile possesses a knowledge of genetic manipulation second to none. Now a renegade among renegades, he is loathed by those he once called brother, and even the most degraded of Chaos Space Marines fears his name. Exiled for his dark experiments, Bile has retreated deep into the Eye of Terror, leaving a trail of twisted abominations in his wake.

Warden of the Blade wrote:The first novel in an exciting new Space Marine trilogy.

Castellan Crowe, Brotherhood Champion of the Purifier order of the Grey Knights, bears a heavy burden – to be the warden of the dread Blade of Antwyr. Its malevolent voice is forever in his head, trying to crack his resolve, urging him to unleash a power he must never use. The toll is terrible - how long before the incorruptible Crowe is at last defeated?

Could it be? Is BL on the verge of being awesome again??

LotN
Last edited by Lord of the Night on Mon Mar 07, 2016 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lord of the Night

Postby Rob P » Mon Mar 07, 2016 7:53 pm

I'm not sure if too much is made of the book length.

What size are the TBA books? I ask because the big hardbacks are only 75% or the page size of the 410ish page little paperbacks. So a 240 page book in the big hardback size could be nearer 320 pages.

I'm also finding that some of the books just seem to drag with filler to reach a word count (not sure if true, but it feels like it). So i'm not against shorter books.

@ Fenris - cheers for the heads up on the Kharn stuff.
Rob P

Postby Fenris » Mon Mar 07, 2016 8:18 pm

Rob P wrote:What size are the TBA books? I ask because the big hardbacks are only 75% or the page size of the 410ish page little paperbacks. So a 240 page book in the big hardback size could be nearer 320 pages

They are supposed to be 256 pages each if i remember it right (having them digital i cant check)
-
Fenris

Postby Lord of the Night » Mon Mar 07, 2016 8:45 pm

Rob P wrote:What size are the TBA books? I ask because the big hardbacks are only 75% or the page size of the 410ish page little paperbacks. So a 240 page book in the big hardback size could be nearer 320 pages.

I think they vary from 250-300 pages. Not totally sure though, but they are in that area.

LotN
Lord of the Night

Postby Xisor » Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:13 pm

Lord of the Night wrote:
Rob P wrote:What size are the TBA books? I ask because the big hardbacks are only 75% or the page size of the 410ish page little paperbacks. So a 240 page book in the big hardback size could be nearer 320 pages.

I think they vary from 250-300 pages. Not totally sure though, but they are in that area.

LotN

Which I believe makes them novels using the British Library's Lo-TN book classification schema.

---

Maybe not *awesome* again; these are, after all, all Space Marine stories. To some extent.

Now, if Andy Chambers was doing a Necron story, or if there was a few Inquisition stories on the go, or a bit more Tau/Eldar stuff doing the rounds. Well, maybe I'd consider it to be super awesome.

For the time being, I'll grin and bear it.
"When my housemate puts his bike in the middle of the living room floor, I find that inordinately jarring, annoying and rude, but for me to refer to it as "genocide" would be incorrect." -Ath
xisor.wordpress
Xisor's Dice-o-matic Maiminator
Xisor
Site Admin

Postby Lord of the Night » Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:34 pm

Xisor wrote:Which I believe makes them novels using the British Library's Lo-TN book classification schema.

The Beast Arises series are novels I agree, if i'm right there. Its the other stuff that bothers me, the 160-page books being touted as novels when they are clearly novellas, with 170-page books being called novellas on other website pages. Really wish I knew what was behind this reduction in BL book page-count, what exactly has brought this upon us??

Xisor wrote:Maybe not *awesome* again; these are, after all, all Space Marine stories. To some extent.

Now, if Andy Chambers was doing a Necron story, or if there was a few Inquisition stories on the go, or a bit more Tau/Eldar stuff doing the rounds. Well, maybe I'd consider it to be super awesome.

For the time being, I'll grin and bear it.

I do hope that we'll see that stuff as well. But if BL is to reclaim its glory days when we got a minimum of three brand new novels a month and re-releases were NOT counted as new, it is the Space Marines that are going to lead us there. More and varied Space Marine series will hopefully increase BL's revenue to the point where they can afford to take chances on series about the Necrons, Tau and Eldar. In fact they may already be taking some chances; Robbie MacNiven mentioned on his post about Carcharodons that GW/BL was concerned about the saleability of such a series, but he convinced them. So on that note, we must all make Carcharodons: Red Tithe one of our purchases this year and show BL that we want more Non-First Founding stuff.

LotN
Lord of the Night

Postby Fenris » Mon Mar 07, 2016 11:05 pm

Well,when you consider all the novellas being cut up and sold as short series (both 40'k and AoS),BL has been outputting a lot more lately
-
Fenris

Postby Lord of the Night » Mon Mar 07, 2016 11:09 pm

Plot details for three of the upcoming Horus Heresy books, only Eye of Terra remains a mystery, have been released;

Book 36: Path of Heaven wrote:For too long had the Vth Legion ranged out beyond the sight of the wider Imperium, remaining ignorant of the Warmaster’s rebellion and the war that inevitably followed. Only once their primarch, Jaghatai Khan, had satisfied himself that the path before them was just and true did the White Scars choose a side, taking the fight to the traitors on every front. But, four years later, the Legion’s unfettered spirit has been broken by relentless attritional warfare against the Death Guard and the Emperor’s Children – the Khan’s Stormseers must find a clear route to Terra if they are to take part in the final, apocalyptic battle.

Book 37: The Silent War wrote:While loyalist and traitor forces clash on a thousand battlefields across the galaxy, a very different kind of war is being fought in the shadows. Rogal Dorn and his Legion prepare to defend the Solar System against the armies of Warmaster Horus, even as Malcador the Sigillite charges his many agents and spies with missions of the utmost secrecy. The future of the Imperium is being shaped by unseen hands... This Horus Heresy anthology contains fourteen stories by some of Black Library's top authors, including James Swallow, Chris Wraight, Anthony Reynolds and many more.

Book 38: Angels of Caliban wrote:Two infamous Space Marine Primarch rivals clash for the final time.

With the Dark Angels spread across a hundred systems, primarch Lion El’Jonson stands as Lord Protector of Ultramar – though his true motives are known to few indeed, and old rivalries on the home world threaten to tear the Legion in half. But when word comes of the Night Lords’ attack on Sotha, the Lion’s brutal actions bring Imperium Secundus once again to the brink of civil war. Not even the most fearsome warriors of the Dreadwing, nor any arcane secret of the Order, can guarantee victory if he sets himself against his loyal brothers.

Can't 100% confirm but sources say that after Angels of Caliban the next novel, number 39 in the series, will be Praetorian of Dorn by John French, due for a 2016 hardback release and a January 2017 paperback release, and is about the Imperial Fists fighting the Alpha Legion in the Ghost War for the Sol System.

LotN
Lord of the Night

Postby Dennis the Hamster » Tue Mar 08, 2016 3:36 pm

Major Rawne wrote:The Beast Arises 8 - The Beast Must Die - Gav Thrope

Sorry, I have to correct you there.

The proper title (whether this ends up on the cover or not) is 'The Beast Must Die!'.

The exclamation mark was fundamental to my creative process for this volume.

:twisted:

Gav
www.gavthorpe.co.uk
Facebook - Gav Thorpe
Twitter - DennisHamster
Check out my Angry Robot titles too! http://angryrobotbooks.com/our-authors/gav-thorpe/
Dennis the Hamster

Postby Fenris » Wed Mar 16, 2016 5:37 pm

Lemartes,guardian of the lost is now avaiable as an ebook

I'll probably pick it up later now that's avaiable in a dont-need-to-spend-300000000€-to-get-it version
-
Fenris

Postby Major Rawne » Fri Mar 18, 2016 7:57 pm

Fenris wrote:Lemartes,guardian of the lost is now avaiable as an ebook

I'll probably pick it up later now that's avaiable in a dont-need-to-spend-300000000€-to-get-it version

Dammit! Does that mean my spare dead tree version is now only worth peanuts? This is truly a sad day for my greedy capitalist intentions.
Major Rawne

PreviousNext

Return to Board index

Return to Black Library - Products and Events