I just realised something about Wh40k novels.

Considering Black Library books, products and events.

I just realised something about Wh40k novels.

Postby Therion » Sat Jun 06, 2015 11:31 am

They almost never use Thoughts for the Day in them. One would think that such words of wisdom are in everyday use in the Imperium...
"There can be no bystanders in the battle for survival. Anyone who will not fight by your side is an enemy you must crush" -Scriptorus Munificantus
Therion

Re: I just realised something about Wh40k novels.

Postby Mossy Toes » Wed Jun 10, 2015 1:06 am

Not lately, anyhow. Some of the older Abnett books I recall using them at the beginnings of chapters and such; and I do think there's a passage in the actual text of Faith & Fire where a battle sister examines a wall of such. Though, no, come to think of it I'm probably actually thinking of a piece of JDD's fanfic.
What sphinx of plascrete and adamantium bashed open their skulls and ate up their brains and imagination? Imperator!
Mossy Toes

Postby Therion » Thu Jun 11, 2015 8:08 pm

Mossy Toes wrote:Not lately, anyhow. Some of the older Abnett books I recall using them at the beginnings of chapters and such; and I do think there's a passage in the actual text of Faith & Fire where a battle sister examines a wall of such. Though, no, come to think of it I'm probably actually thinking of a piece of JDD's fanfic.

I mean in conversations. You never used thoughts for the day in everyday conversations?
"There can be no bystanders in the battle for survival. Anyone who will not fight by your side is an enemy you must crush" -Scriptorus Munificantus
Therion

Postby Xisor » Fri Jun 12, 2015 12:03 am

Therion wrote:
Mossy Toes wrote:Not lately, anyhow. Some of the older Abnett books I recall using them at the beginnings of chapters and such; and I do think there's a passage in the actual text of Faith & Fire where a battle sister examines a wall of such. Though, no, come to think of it I'm probably actually thinking of a piece of JDD's fanfic.

I mean in conversations. You never used thoughts for the day in everyday conversations?

I'm sure Ath and I touched on this in a conversation in a pub a while back - it's one of the things glaringly absent with GW's insistence on not diverting too far from LOTS OF CONFLICT. People don't forget about everything else for long. Fashion, cultural references, authentic uses of turns of phrase - there's a huge swathe of detail that we're treated to visually that allows us to take a lot of 40k as read, err, seen.

But even then there's a ton of detail absent. Food, fashion, heaven's sake: humour and romance don't just disappear because people are getting a bit shooty killy. They take a dent, but font just vanish.

With Fantasy, I've found that it gets a lot of these details more... right. You can't differentiate provincesof the Empire in the same way you can differentiate Space Marine chapters. In Fantasy, as per IG novels, culture seems to be given a bit more verisimilitude.

Intriguingly, I felt Nick Kymes dwarf novels managed this very well indeed - threading in plausible tropes to bring it all to life, without over egging it too. Deft in a way he seems to deliberately avoid with Space Marines. His villains in the same novels, however, I did not create for.
"When my housemate puts his bike in the middle of the living room floor, I find that inordinately jarring, annoying and rude, but for me to refer to it as "genocide" would be incorrect." -Ath
xisor.wordpress
Xisor's Dice-o-matic Maiminator
Xisor
Site Admin

Return to Board index

Return to Black Library - Products and Events