Most memorable quotes

For talking openly about the spoilers from Black Library fiction.

Re: Most memorable quotes

Postby Bellarius » Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:57 pm

sam vimes wrote::(
"Yes, the Emperor loves you" said Uriel, and pulled the trigger.

That novels is easily my least favourite of the Ultramarines books, and even i'll admit that was one of the best delivered moments in the series.
The Good the Bad and the Insulting
Daily thoughts, reviews and news of films, novels video games and tabletop games.
Bellarius

Postby Mossy Toes » Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:23 am

sam vimes wrote:"Yes, the Emperor loves you" said Uriel, and pulled the trigger.

Since this quote's been getting a lot of air time in the thread, I figure might as well pitch in my $.02: honestly, the scene doesn't move me much. It feels too... manufactured. But if I seem too harsh here, I also want to express a gladness that a goodly number of people reading it did have the response that McNiell was shooting (aha, pun unintentional) for. If only the king of the unfleshed (or whatever the character's name was) had been asking about rabbits...
What sphinx of plascrete and adamantium bashed open their skulls and ate up their brains and imagination? Imperator!
Mossy Toes

Postby sam vimes » Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:59 am

As Sanguine Orb waxes strong and Pillar of Clamour
rises high
The Peal of Nether shakes
And Great Wyrms of The Below wreak the earth
With flame and gaseous exhalation.
Roar of Titans will smite the mountains and they shall tumble.
Depths of Onyx shall engulf the lands, and then exposed shall lay
The Undercroft,
Death and Mastery

The door shall be opened to he of pure faith
Into Darkness two descend.
Apostate and he who would be,
Into madness and confusion descend,
Restless dead and creatures old,
The Undying One to face.

Master of the cog will come in chains and tattered robes,
To become Enslaved,
To unleash the Orb of Night and Breaking Dawn.

One shall fall, he of lesser faith, he unmarked by godly touch,
His fate to remain, trapped eternal,
And for one to flee with prize in hand,
Gatemaster,
He who bears Lorgar's touch
"Huron-Fal’s systems were on the verge of shutdown ... ‘This death,’ rasped the voder, ‘this death is ours. We choose it. We deny you your victory.’

"Abandon your fear. Look forward. Move forward and never stop. You'll age if you pull back. You'll die if you hesitate."

"From iron cometh strength. From strength cometh will. From will cometh faith. From faith cometh honour. From honour cometh iron." "And may it ever be so"
[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
sam vimes

Postby Fenris » Fri May 02, 2014 7:46 pm

‘Your God-King does this to you,’ the dark templar said. ‘You feel the hopelessness of his failure. Abandon him as he has abandoned you.’

‘And pray to your dread gods?’ Giselle said, glassy-eyed.

‘No,’ Archaon said. ‘For I have none. Let the powers of darkness favour me if they will. Let them lend me their strength and draw strength from my victories, if that is their want. You will not see me kneel to them even as I kneel before you now. All gods are fickle. Don’t trust in them. I don’t. Believe as much as you need to or not at all. Ultimately, the only thing you can really believe in is yourself.’

‘You serve the Chaos gods…’

‘They serve themselves,’ Archaon said. ‘As do I. This world is not fit for man or god. The Empire and nations of old, the exotic lands beyond and even here – the cruel Wastes. All will fall and all will burn for me. I will be the Lord of the End Times. The harbinger of doom for all – man and god – for in a world of the slain, with no men, no savages, no ancients of the elder races to pray to them and erect their temples, what will become of these gods, their heroes and their daemons?’

From Archaon:Everchosen
Thrusting his thunder hammer into the sky, he shouted—so that all could hear "Primarch.Progenitor, to your glory!"
"And to the glory of Him on Earth!" his brothers bellowed in response
-
A knight is sworn to valor. His heart knows only virtue. His blade defends the helpless. His word speaks only truth. His wrath undoes the wicked
Fenris

Postby sam vimes » Sat May 24, 2014 7:37 pm

"What; said Loken are you doing?"
"I got bored of waiting for you to find me; replied Severian
"Huron-Fal’s systems were on the verge of shutdown ... ‘This death,’ rasped the voder, ‘this death is ours. We choose it. We deny you your victory.’

"Abandon your fear. Look forward. Move forward and never stop. You'll age if you pull back. You'll die if you hesitate."

"From iron cometh strength. From strength cometh will. From will cometh faith. From faith cometh honour. From honour cometh iron." "And may it ever be so"
[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
sam vimes

Postby Lord of the Night » Sun May 25, 2014 7:35 pm

Fenris wrote:‘Your God-King does this to you,’ the dark templar said. ‘You feel the hopelessness of his failure. Abandon him as he has abandoned you.’

‘And pray to your dread gods?’ Giselle said, glassy-eyed.

‘No,’ Archaon said. ‘For I have none. Let the powers of darkness favour me if they will. Let them lend me their strength and draw strength from my victories, if that is their want. You will not see me kneel to them even as I kneel before you now. All gods are fickle. Don’t trust in them. I don’t. Believe as much as you need to or not at all. Ultimately, the only thing you can really believe in is yourself.’

‘You serve the Chaos gods…’

‘They serve themselves,’ Archaon said. ‘As do I. This world is not fit for man or god. The Empire and nations of old, the exotic lands beyond and even here – the cruel Wastes. All will fall and all will burn for me. I will be the Lord of the End Times. The harbinger of doom for all – man and god – for in a world of the slain, with no men, no savages, no ancients of the elder races to pray to them and erect their temples, what will become of these gods, their heroes and their daemons?’

Anyone who says Archaon is not badass needs to read that. It proves them wrong.

LotN
http://www.talkwargaming.com/search/lab ... %20Reviews - Black Library Reviews by Lord of the Night@Talk Wargaming
Lord of the Night

Postby sam vimes » Thu May 29, 2014 11:54 pm

Ah half heard the phrase kiss kiss bang bang comes to mind with what you did here :D

He turned as four of the Lupreci raced towards him. They carried axes, swords and weapons that looked like they'd been looted from the museum of conquest.
'Come on!' roared Qruze, mashing the swords activation trigger. 'Let this old dog show he still has some bite;
The first swung his axe for Qruzes neck.
'Too risky for the first attack; he said, ducking low and hacking his chainblade through his opponents gut. 'The beheading cut leaves you far too exposed against a low blow;
He swayed aside from a sword thrust, bending to snatch the bolt pistol from the downed warriors holster. Fully loaded, safety off.
Sloppy.
'Too much weight on your forward foot; he grunted. 'No control to evade a counterstrike;
He drove the tip of his sword through the Luperci's spine. He spun and wrenched the sword blade out through its chest.
The last of the Luperci had at least learned from the deaths of their fellows.They split up and circled Qurze warily, swords in the guard position, their foot work cautious.
Qurze shot them both in the face, a classic double tap. Their helmets exploded as the mass-reactives registered threshold densities for detonation.
'And if your opponent has a gun and all you have is a sword; he said. turning towards the Warmaster upon his basalt throne. 'You're going to die;

[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
sam vimes

Postby Liliedhe » Fri May 30, 2014 8:30 am

„Against so many sublime warriors, even a primarch could be brought down. Primarchs were functionally immortal, but they weren’t invulnerable. People often forgot the difference.“

This is my favourite quote from VS so far. Especially as it is being hammered in so often :p
"You were a warleader, a fighter, when did you gain such illuminating insight into the minds of others?"
"I learned such things as you and your brothers applied brand to my flesh and parted skin with rasp and knife," snarled Astelan. "When your witches tried to prise open my mind they opened me for an instant and I stared back."
Liliedhe

Postby Lord of the Night » Fri May 30, 2014 9:13 am

Liliedhe wrote:"Against so many sublime warriors, even a Primarch could be brought down. Primarchs were functionally immortal, but they weren't invulnerable. People often forgot the difference."

This is my favourite quote from VS so far. Especially as it is being hammered in so often :p

Might just be me but reading that makes me wonder who the people they are referring to are. ;)

LotN
http://www.talkwargaming.com/search/lab ... %20Reviews - Black Library Reviews by Lord of the Night@Talk Wargaming
Lord of the Night

Postby Liliedhe » Fri May 30, 2014 10:28 am

Obviously the one people who got shot almost dead already twice in this book :p
"You were a warleader, a fighter, when did you gain such illuminating insight into the minds of others?"
"I learned such things as you and your brothers applied brand to my flesh and parted skin with rasp and knife," snarled Astelan. "When your witches tried to prise open my mind they opened me for an instant and I stared back."
Liliedhe

Postby sam vimes » Mon Jun 23, 2014 5:05 pm

"If you must fight an Ultramarine, pray you kill him if he is still alive, then you are dead"

[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
sam vimes

Postby Athelassan » Tue Jun 24, 2014 3:23 pm

Lord of the Night wrote:Anyone who says Archaon is not badass needs to read that. It proves them wrong.

He talks the talk, but he has shown a distinct inability to walk the walk. That's kind of the opposite of badass.

Ath
Athelassan

Postby Sevatar » Tue Jun 24, 2014 11:02 pm

From the end of Void Stalker, as a badly bruised (and always grumpy) Malcharion stomps onto the dying eldar lady:

I... have to finish everything... for that boy.
Sevatar

Postby SIngemeister » Tue Jun 24, 2014 11:34 pm

I used the knife.
I saved a child.
I won a war.
God forgive me.
SIngemeister

Postby David Earle » Thu Jun 26, 2014 2:54 pm

"Each of the Legions has now nominated aspirants seeking to throw themselves upon our mercy in the vain hope that we may deem them worthy to join our ranks. Those loyal to the shrunken corpse on Terra still cling to their own processes by which perhaps one in a hundred neophytes may survive to become a battle brother. The methods I have developed over the last millennia are more stringent, for we must be pure in our hatred and hard of heart, body and soul. Fewer than one in every thousand survive, and I strive each day to lengthen these odds still further."

- Fabius Bile
Check out my blog!

"David is very very old, but also slow, he creeps up behind you without you noticing and then just as his non-breath fails to be felt against your neck he pounces and gives you an informative post." - schaferwhat‽

Ogunzhar lives!
David Earle

Postby Mossy Toes » Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:56 am

SIngemeister wrote:I used the knife.
I saved a child.
I won a war.
God forgive me.

Ah, Dresden Files. Need to pick up a copy of Skin Game, myself...

Cold Days spoilers:

Spoiler: Is anybody else pissed off by the fact that Harry went to sulk on his island for like a year when Molly needs him most? I mean, I obviously don't know how Skin Game shakes out, but the teaser chapter at the end of Cold Days made it very clear that he was abdicating his responsibility to be there to emotionally/politically support Molly in the Winter Court. To say nothing of the mortals in the Winter Court that he made a big fuss about being under his protection when he was around.

I suppose it's a credit to Jim Butcher that I'm pissed off at Dresden for being a self-absorbed idiot rather than Butcher for writing him that way--but then, I have yet to read the new book and see how the land lies among various characters.

What sphinx of plascrete and adamantium bashed open their skulls and ate up their brains and imagination? Imperator!
Mossy Toes

Postby SIngemeister » Wed Jul 02, 2014 3:24 pm

Mossy Toes wrote:
SIngemeister wrote:I used the knife.
I saved a child.
I won a war.
God forgive me.

Ah, Dresden Files. Need to pick up a copy of Skin Game, myself...

Cold Days spoilers:

Spoiler: Is anybody else pissed off by the fact that Harry went to sulk on his island for like a year when Molly needs him most? I mean, I obviously don't know how Skin Game shakes out, but the teaser chapter at the end of Cold Days made it very clear that he was abdicating his responsibility to be there to emotionally/politically support Molly in the Winter Court. To say nothing of the mortals in the Winter Court that he made a big fuss about being under his protection when he was around.

I suppose it's a credit to Jim Butcher that I'm pissed off at Dresden for being a self-absorbed idiot rather than Butcher for writing him that way--but then, I have yet to read the new book and see how the land lies among various characters.

Spoiler: Michael agrees with you. All I'm sayin'.

SIngemeister

Postby Mossy Toes » Thu Jul 03, 2014 1:40 am

Good.
Mossy Toes

Postby Lord of the Night » Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:21 pm

SIngemeister wrote:

Spoiler: Michael agrees with you. All I'm sayin'.

Spoiler: Butters and Murphy also agree. Skin Game does deal with the fact that Harry did in a way abdicate his responsibility during Cold Days and in the aftermath of it.

LotN
Lord of the Night

Postby Lord of the Night » Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:53 pm

"Violence does, in truth, recoil upon the violent, and the schemer falls into the pit which he digs for another."

LotN
Lord of the Night

PreviousNext

Return to Board index

Return to Spoiler Zone