Where is my post?

An area for Bolthole-related business, such as technical issues, moderation consultation and any Bolthole-related topics.

Where is my post?

Postby Vivia » Sun May 04, 2014 9:20 pm

My post "Wipe Out Homophobia vs UKIP" is gone from Insanely Off-Topic. It's either under review by the mods, though it wasn't debate piece, it was moved but where or it's a giant forum glitch. I would appreciate if a mod contacted me.
There is nothing gay about the Princeton fight song. "Oh, the men of Princeton are charging up the rear, holding all the balls..." Okay, I hear it now. – Jack, episode Queen of Jordan
Vivia

Re: Where is my post?

Postby Xisor » Sun May 04, 2014 9:39 pm

It's in the debaters' lounge, quite visible to me. If memory serves, the place has weird access. (E.g. Schafe won't see it.)
"When my housemate puts his bike in the middle of the living room floor, I find that inordinately jarring, annoying and rude, but for me to refer to it as "genocide" would be incorrect." -Ath
xisor.wordpress
Xisor's Dice-o-matic Maiminator
Xisor
Site Admin

Postby Athelassan » Sun May 04, 2014 9:44 pm

Yes, I moved it to the Debater's Lounge (as I mentioned I might do) given the topic and the likely continuing direction of conversation. A shadow topic is still in place in IOT with a redirect to the new location but perhaps if you aren't a member of the Lounge you can't see the redirect either? I don't know how that works.

I can see if I can set you up with Lounge access if you don't already have it and want to see the thread.
Athelassan

Postby Vivia » Sun May 04, 2014 9:48 pm

I knew it was the Debater's Lounge, not a member. Though I'm not interested in debating it further, my concern was the WOH message only. Further, I consider it a thread hi-jack if it's turned into a debate of UKIP. So, either the original topic is closed and a new thread is made, in other words: Make your own darn thread. At the moment my patience is very low with the off-topic. I'm not even going to joke about it. The end.
There is nothing gay about the Princeton fight song. "Oh, the men of Princeton are charging up the rear, holding all the balls..." Okay, I hear it now. – Jack, episode Queen of Jordan
Vivia

Postby schaferwhat‽ » Mon May 05, 2014 12:22 am

the redirect isn't visible to those of us who don't debate.

For further reference when this sort of thing happens.
schaferwhat‽

Postby Vivia » Mon May 05, 2014 12:32 am

Schafe is right, to us it looks like the thread vanished into thin air. I asked a mod to lock the original thread and from now on I'll be a bitch whenever one of my topics are taken off-topic and report it faster than you say cheese.
Vivia

Postby Athelassan » Mon May 05, 2014 12:38 am

It has been locked.

Regarding the original topic, it was always borderline whether it was ever suitable for the non-Debaters' Lounge areas of the board, and I initially gave it the benefit of the doubt, but later changed my mind (after posting there myself, as it happens). It wasn't that the thread went off-topic and that's why it was moved so much as that I came to think it was in the wrong forum in the first place.

However, in my personal view at least, while the OP obviously sets the topic up, they're not the Thread Police and don't get sole say in what does and doesn't count as on- or off-topic. It's possible for threads to go in directions the OP didn't anticipate but which are still fundamentally on-topic, and so long as things stay civil there's nothing wrong with that. So I would rather you didn't "be a bitch" whenever you think one of your threads has been taken off-topic, because that's not helpful for anyone. Feel free to use the report button, but bear in mind that action might not be taken on every report depending on what is thought appropriate.
Athelassan

Postby schaferwhat‽ » Mon May 05, 2014 12:44 am

this thread is no longer about the location of the other thread. Rather the definition of topic in the context of what is on topic or not.

I just wanted to draw that to everyone's attention.
schaferwhat‽

Postby Athelassan » Mon May 05, 2014 12:47 am

schaferwhat‽ wrote:the redirect isn't visible to those of us who don't debate.

For further reference when this sort of thing happens.

Missed this one earlier.

The obvious answer of course is "don't start threads that belong in the Lounge outside the Lounge". But, trying not to be facetious, if this does happen again I'll PM the original poster to let them know what's happened, in case they're not a Lounge member. Other posters in the thread might have to take their chances though.
Athelassan

Postby schaferwhat‽ » Mon May 05, 2014 12:53 am

it should say on the users profile under "groups" if they are in the debaters group. But it is understandable that you'd only look into the Topic originator.

Wasn't so much a call for clarified Modding actions just a "this might be a thing worth knowing". (I've been re-reading the debaters lounge thread and can appreciate how me not calling for changes to modding practice may seem like a surprise).
schaferwhat‽

Postby Vivia » Mon May 05, 2014 1:17 am

Thank you.
The off-topic and high-jacking as I see it, has been done far too many times and enough is enough. It doesn't matter if it has been asked politely, semi-politely or impolite, people love to ignore it when it's mentioned. Since I'm angry about it I may exaggerate and say I'll be a harpy about the subject ALL THE TIME, but i'll definitely be less accomodating in the future and semi-polite. I can't decide what the mods think is fair.
As I said in my message to the mods: If someone goes off-topic to tell a joke, post a gif or say something in a few rows then fine be my guest. If that off-topic goes into blocks of massive quotes and paragraphs of self-indulgant ramblings then HELL NO.

What can I do, I have no access to the Debater's Lounge. My initial intention wasn't to debate, I only wanted to inform about Wipe Out Homophobia post and their humorous approach, as far as I know the idea didn't originate with them. There is not one comment on their post that mentions anything else than silly junkmail and we were from several countries, WOH didn't in any way promote sending disturbing mail. It's unfortunate that people take these kinds of things as an opportunity to send hatemail and disturbing stuff.
Last edited by Vivia on Mon May 05, 2014 1:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Vivia

Postby schaferwhat‽ » Mon May 05, 2014 1:35 am

Vivia wrote:Thank you.
goes into blocks of massive quotes and paragraphs of self-indulgant ramblings then HELL NO.

I can't help but feel you are targeting me specifically for criticism and that makes me sad.
schaferwhat‽

Postby Vivia » Mon May 05, 2014 2:00 am

Well, much of the moral decay and infamy comes from you. I have vivid memories of the Broken Book scandal from 2006.
Vivia

Postby schaferwhat‽ » Mon May 05, 2014 2:16 am

I haven't the faintest idea what you are on about.

But I really wish I did, it sounds awesome. If only I was there.
schaferwhat‽

Postby Therion » Mon May 05, 2014 3:45 am

Vivia wrote:Well, much of the moral decay and infamy comes from you. I have vivid memories of the Broken Book scandal from 2006.

Broken Book scandal :D ?
"There can be no bystanders in the battle for survival. Anyone who will not fight by your side is an enemy you must crush" -Scriptorus Munificantus
Therion

Postby Xisor » Mon May 05, 2014 5:02 am

I will resolutely fight to my dying day to go meaningfully off-topic. Also to fight tyranny. But unlike my fight against tyranny I also will just go away and allow wrong people feel awful about it because

Spoiler: they know I am right and they'll feel bad about it, in the end.

Otherwise, re:DL, making it a members-only, invisible-to-outsiders forum seems the wisest move. It was wisest at the time too, in my towering intellects opinion. Caveats about 'extra adherence to decorum whilst Lounging' withstanding, of course.
"When my housemate puts his bike in the middle of the living room floor, I find that inordinately jarring, annoying and rude, but for me to refer to it as "genocide" would be incorrect." -Ath
xisor.wordpress
Xisor's Dice-o-matic Maiminator
Xisor
Site Admin

Postby Rob P » Mon May 05, 2014 7:13 am

Argghhhhhhh! My semi-private thoughts are now open to the public. Topics sent to the Debater's Lounge and then commented on should not be returned to off topic.

Also, I'm reading A Vengeful Spirit. And, who likes lettuce?
Rob P

Postby Vivia » Mon May 05, 2014 10:30 am

Therion wrote:
Vivia wrote:Well, much of the moral decay and infamy comes from you. I have vivid memories of the Broken Book scandal from 2006.

Broken Book scandal :D ?

It's made up, it was an attempt to tarnish Schafe and embiggen myself. ;)
Vivia

Postby Vivia » Mon May 05, 2014 10:34 am

Rob P wrote:Argghhhhhhh! My semi-private thoughts are now open to the public. Topics sent to the Debater's Lounge and then commented on should not be returned to off topic.

Also, I'm reading A Vengeful Spirit. And, who likes lettuce?

There is nothing to worry about. The topic is only visible in Off-Topic to those who are members of the DL. As Schafe and I mentioned regular members don't see anything.
Vivia

Postby Rob P » Mon May 05, 2014 11:01 am

That would be true but its been moved back.

Edit: or at least it shows in both for me

Edit2: my apologies, it's only when i'm logged on
Rob P

Next

Return to Board index

Return to About the Bolthole