Read here first: Black Library Book Recommendations

Considering Black Library books, products and events.

Re: Ask for Black Library Book recommendations

Postby Major Rawne » Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:13 pm

Well after an Ebay frenzy (that saw me up way too late last night) I picked up a veritable selection of books I missed in days gone by.

WHF:
Fell Cargo
The Dead and Damned
Day of the Daemon
Night of the Daemon
Hour of the Daemon
The Blades of Chaos
The Heart of Chaos
The Claws of Chaos
Blood of the Blood God
Palace of the Plague Lord
Magestorm
Necromancer

40k:
Brothers of the Snake
Flames of Damnation
Relentless
Iron Hands
Draco

Reinen wrote:Ravenwing is very good book!
Thanks!

It most certainly was.
Major Rawne

Postby Bane Of Kings » Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:29 pm

Major Rawne wrote:Well after an Ebay frenzy (that saw me up way too late last night) I picked up a veritable selection of books I missed in days gone by.

WHF:
Fell Cargo
The Dead and Damned
Day of the Daemon
Night of the Daemon
Hour of the Daemon
The Blades of Chaos
The Heart of Chaos
The Claws of Chaos
Blood of the Blood God
Palace of the Plague Lord
Magestorm
Necromancer

40k:
Brothers of the Snake
Flames of Damnation
Relentless
Iron Hands
Draco

Reinen wrote:Ravenwing is very good book!
Thanks!

It most certainly was.

Brothers of the Snake is the only book that I've read. It's a great Abnett book, so go with that. I'd also like to know what you think of Iron Hands.

Now I'm going to ask for a recommendation. As I haven't been recieving ARCs in a while and have not heard from the folks there despite contacting them, I may be buying a Black Library book soon, and have narrowed it down to the following choices: The Masque of Vyle, Angels of Darkness, Chains of Golgatha, Ahriman: Exile and Flesh of Cretacia. Am leaving Betrayer out as it's the obvious choice - I want to wait until it's released in MMP as it's going to be cheaper as an e-copy and I'd rather not pay more than £10 for an ebook.
BOOK/FILM/GAME/TV REVIEWS
http://thefictionalhangout.blogspot.co.uk/
"The Machine asked me to tell you something before we part. You once told John the whole point of Pandora’s box was that once you’ve opened it, you can’t close it again. She wanted me to remind you of how the story ends. When everything is over, when the worst has happened, there’s still one thing left in Pandora’s box: hope"
Bane Of Kings

Postby Lord of the Night » Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:59 pm

Bane Of Kings wrote:Angels of Darkness
Ahriman: Exile

Those are the two i'd recommend.

LotN
http://www.talkwargaming.com/search/lab ... %20Reviews - Black Library Reviews by Lord of the Night@Talk Wargaming
Lord of the Night

Postby Major Rawne » Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:54 pm

Bit of thredomancy or what :D

Currently reading Yarrick: Chains of Golgotha very, very good. You can't help but be sucked in by Yarrick's charisma. That man knows how to inspire.
Major Rawne

Postby Vivia » Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:06 pm

It's a sticky, it will be here forevah. :P
There is nothing gay about the Princeton fight song. "Oh, the men of Princeton are charging up the rear, holding all the balls..." Okay, I hear it now. – Jack, episode Queen of Jordan
Vivia

Postby shadowhawk2008 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:40 pm

Angels of Darkness, Flesh of Cretacia.
Shadowhawk's Shade My 40k/writing/review blog. You can check out all my reviews here.

My current fiction projects - Veergati: The Scarlet Records, an Indian space opera inspired by Star Trek.
shadowhawk2008

Location: Battle-barge Spear of Lycaeus of the Angels of Retribution

Postby Bane Of Kings » Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:36 pm

Major Rawne wrote:Bit of thredomancy or what :D.

Thredomancy FTW.

So I'll probably go with Angels of Darkness judging by the positive recommendations.
BOOK/FILM/GAME/TV REVIEWS
http://thefictionalhangout.blogspot.co.uk/
"The Machine asked me to tell you something before we part. You once told John the whole point of Pandora’s box was that once you’ve opened it, you can’t close it again. She wanted me to remind you of how the story ends. When everything is over, when the worst has happened, there’s still one thing left in Pandora’s box: hope"
Bane Of Kings

Postby Liliedhe » Fri May 31, 2013 9:01 pm

As the Soul Drinkers Omnibusses^^ are out now, I'm wondering if I should get them or not. On the one hand, the whole story seems rather ... sueish to me (we are better than the Imperium, and they are hunting us for it). And Counter is always hit or miss for me, but much more miss than hit.

On the other hand, I am curious. And I read all other Space Marine series from BL already.

So, what do you think, if you read the books? Are they worth it?
"You were a warleader, a fighter, when did you gain such illuminating insight into the minds of others?"
"I learned such things as you and your brothers applied brand to my flesh and parted skin with rasp and knife," snarled Astelan. "When your witches tried to prise open my mind they opened me for an instant and I stared back."
Liliedhe

Postby shadowhawk2008 » Fri May 31, 2013 9:03 pm

As a complete experience? Definite yes for me.
Shadowhawk's Shade My 40k/writing/review blog. You can check out all my reviews here.

My current fiction projects - Veergati: The Scarlet Records, an Indian space opera inspired by Star Trek.
shadowhawk2008

Postby Major Rawne » Fri May 31, 2013 9:26 pm

shadowhawk2008 wrote:As a complete experience? Definite yes for me.

Couldn't agree more. I love the guys in purple. so much so that I do hold out some small hope for more in the future.
Major Rawne

Postby Lord of the Night » Fri May 31, 2013 9:32 pm

Major Rawne wrote:Couldn't agree more. I love the guys in purple. so much so that I do hold out some small hope for more in the future.

Spoiler: There'll never be anymore Soul Drinkers, as it should be. Anymore would negate their heroic deaths.

And yes Lil you should read the Soul Drinkers, it's an awesome series that is quite unique among the Space Marine books.

LotN
http://www.talkwargaming.com/search/lab ... %20Reviews - Black Library Reviews by Lord of the Night@Talk Wargaming
Lord of the Night

Postby Major Rawne » Fri May 31, 2013 9:41 pm

Lord of the Night wrote:
Major Rawne wrote:Couldn't agree more. I love the guys in purple. so much so that I do hold out some small hope for more in the future.

Spoiler: There'll never be anymore Soul Drinkers, as it should be. Anymore would negate their heroic deaths.

And yes Lil you should read the Soul Drinkers, it's an awesome series that is quite unique among the Space Marine books.

LotN

Spoiler: Well who really knows. Didn't a couple of them not disappear off into the Warp/Eye never to be seen again

Major Rawne

Postby Bellarius » Fri May 31, 2013 10:09 pm

Liliedhe wrote:As the Soul Drinkers Omnibusses^^ are out now, I'm wondering if I should get them or not. On the one hand, the whole story seems rather ... sueish to me (we are better than the Imperium, and they are hunting us for it). And Counter is always hit or miss for me, but much more miss than hit.

Honestly the series as a whole is very hit or miss and a roller-coaster ride in terms of quality. Good books are suddenly followed by average and bad ones while some of the series worst are immediately followed by its best. Something not helped by the fact the first novel has some fairly large plot holes which are never seem truly justified within its pages. A lot of the animosity towards the series was generated by the questionable writing of that opening book. If you're not enjoying things by the end of the second novel don't bother with the rest.

Major Rawne wrote:

Spoiler: Well who really knows. Didn't a couple of them not disappear off into the Warp/Eye never to be seen again

Spoiler: Given the first book featured someone being dragged into the Warp and outright killed due to its alien nature that's unlikely. The series started back when it was completely against the canon to have people casually strolling around the Warp fighting daemons and Counter doesn't seem like an author who would contradict that to milk a series a bit more.

By the way, mind if I ask how you'd rank Iron Hands in comparison to Wrath of Iron?
Last edited by Bellarius on Fri May 31, 2013 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Good the Bad and the Insulting
Daily thoughts, reviews and news of films, novels video games and tabletop games.
Bellarius

Postby shadowhawk2008 » Fri May 31, 2013 10:11 pm

I talked to Ben Counter about this after Phalanx was released, and he said that he's done with the series. There are hardly any Soul Drinkers left, as a chapter, to warrant writing more about them and he considers their arc to be pretty much over.

I would LOVE for more Soul Drinkers but I think Ben has moved on and is focusing on the Imperial Fists for the foreseeable future.

shadowhawk2008

Postby Xisor » Fri May 31, 2013 11:23 pm

Liliedhe wrote:So, what do you think, if you read the books? Are they worth it?

Strictly speaking, I've only read Phalanx, but I did speak to a GW-y bloke the other day who talked at length on them: apparently - they're well worth it. A few others have mentioned Counter's excellent use of supporting characters in the series, as well as the obviously somewhat 'dodgy' conceit of the series itself (an 'honest' rebellion gone bad...?), well, I know that even at Phalanx I was deeply dubious of the series (and, in some cases, of Ben's writing), but I find myself in the same position as yourself: should I just buy 'em and read 'em?

I'm inclined to think yes. Regardless of the commentary on Ben's writing, he's usually relatively straight forward reading - his prose doesn't drain (even when it's dealing with tedious characters a la the Ultramarine/Word Bearer slant of Battle for the Abyss) and even his mega-purple, thickly-laid-on stuff (a la Hammer of Daemons) is still enjoyable enough to read. As an exercise in curiosity (and seeing what works versus what doesn't) alone, I think they're probably worthwhile and satisfying reads. But if you're not fussed on seeing the bits 'that don't work', then I imagine they're probably not quite so rewarding.

To that end, I'd think I probably will get a hold of them, sooner or later. The GW-y bloke seemed pretty keen on them ('cept the one before Phalanx, which he felt "got away from Counter", so to speak).

Ultimately: I'm curious.
"When my housemate puts his bike in the middle of the living room floor, I find that inordinately jarring, annoying and rude, but for me to refer to it as "genocide" would be incorrect." -Ath
xisor.wordpress
Xisor's Dice-o-matic Maiminator
Xisor
Site Admin

Postby Liliedhe » Sat Jun 01, 2013 8:18 am

Thanks for all the advice. I also skimmed Phalanx (since it was in H&B) and wasnt extremely thrilled, since once more the IF got played for tools. Sigh. But that wouldnt be a problem with the rest of the books.

And Xisor is right that Counter even when he misses is still readable and so far I finished everything I read from him.

@Bellarius: did you ask me? Well, Iron Hands was a bit of a drag. The characters were not very memorable and the plot was somewhat confusing. Wrath of Iron I never finished. I lost interest where it was bogged down in Hive politics and so far didnt manage to pick it up again.
"You were a warleader, a fighter, when did you gain such illuminating insight into the minds of others?"
"I learned such things as you and your brothers applied brand to my flesh and parted skin with rasp and knife," snarled Astelan. "When your witches tried to prise open my mind they opened me for an instant and I stared back."
Liliedhe

Postby Bellarius » Sat Jun 01, 2013 6:51 pm

Liliedhe wrote:@Bellarius: did you ask me? Well, Iron Hands was a bit of a drag. The characters were not very memorable and the plot was somewhat confusing. Wrath of Iron I never finished. I lost interest where it was bogged down in Hive politics and so far didnt manage to pick it up again.

Actually I was asking Major Rawne as his earlier post stated he'd bought it, but thank you none the less. Given that you have an even lower opinion of Wrath of Iron than I had by the end, it's a good indication to not try and buy the novel.
The Good the Bad and the Insulting
Daily thoughts, reviews and news of films, novels video games and tabletop games.
Bellarius

Postby Major Rawne » Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:06 pm

Bellarius wrote:
Liliedhe wrote:@Bellarius: did you ask me? Well, Iron Hands was a bit of a drag. The characters were not very memorable and the plot was somewhat confusing. Wrath of Iron I never finished. I lost interest where it was bogged down in Hive politics and so far didnt manage to pick it up again.

Actually I was asking Major Rawne as his earlier post stated he'd bought it, but thank you none the less. Given that you have an even lower opinion of Wrath of Iron than I had by the end, it's a good indication to not try and buy the novel.

I have yet to get around to Iron Hands. However I was quite the fan of Wrath of Iron.
Major Rawne

Postby Liliedhe » Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:14 pm

In case I do read the Soul Drinkers, where does Daenyathos go? Is it a prequel?
Liliedhe

Postby Major Rawne » Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:17 pm

Liliedhe wrote:In case I do read the Soul Drinkers, where does Daenyathos go? Is it a prequel?

The events depicted are before the two trilogies, however it's set between Hellforged and Phallanx.
Major Rawne

PreviousNext

Return to Board index

Return to Black Library - Products and Events