Ask... GAV THORPE

A place for you to ask questions of some of the Black Library authors themselves.

Re: Ask... GAV THORPE

Postby shadowhawk2008 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:24 pm

I can't stop drooling here.
Shadowhawk's Shade My 40k/writing/review blog. You can check out all my reviews here.

My current fiction projects - Veergati: The Scarlet Records, an Indian space opera inspired by Star Trek.
shadowhawk2008

Location: Battle-barge Spear of Lycaeus of the Angels of Retribution

Postby Reinen » Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:48 pm

Dennis the Hamster wrote:

Spoiler: In AoD Boreas' sympathies for Astelan evolve out of a shared sense of isolation and disenchantment, leading to the suspicion that the Dark Angels are no longer what the Emperor or the Lion envisaged. 'You were right,' was not a blanket acceptance of Astelan's behaviour, but a statement of understanding in the context of the rest of the message.

Astelan say the true ideas. However,

Spoiler: when he acted that it turned out either mutiny, dictatorship or ecological catastrophe.

He is a Dark Angel! :)

Asmodai (or possibly Sapphon, I haven't decide yet) in the second, and Azrael himself in the third, as well as a recurring cast of other characters.

Sapphon was interestingly presented in AoD. I would like to read again about this character.

Thanx!
Reinen

Postby Phoebus » Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:07 pm

Consider me excited. :)
"And where is the prince who can afford so to cover his country with troops for its defense as that ten thousand men descending from the clouds might not in many places do an infinite deal of mischief before a force could be brought together to repel them?"
-- Benjamin Franklin
Phoebus

Postby Lord of the Night » Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:20 pm

Dennis the Hamster wrote:Ravenwing is the first book in the Legacy of Caliban trilogy, which is followed by Master of Sanctity and The Unforgiven. Angels of Darkness becomes a prologue to the trilogy, as Purging of Kadillus is a prequel to AoD. Across the trilogy we see the effect of the events of Piscina rippling through the Chapter, first with the Ravenwing, escalating up through the Deathwing to the Inner Circle itself. Sammael is a central character in the first book, Asmodai (or possibly Sapphon, I haven't decide yet) in the second, and Azrael himself in the third, as well as a recurring cast of other characters.

Cheers,

Gav

This sounds absolutely awesome!!

Please please please use Asmodai!! Sapphon is cool but Asmodai is a far better interrogator. Asmodai might be the best interrogator in the Imperium if what it says about him is true, also it'd be interesting to find out why he is acknowledged as better than Sapphon yet has only made two of the Fallen repent.

I now await this trilogy even more. This has just shot up to become one of my most anticipated releases for the coming years.

LotN
http://www.talkwargaming.com/search/lab ... %20Reviews - Black Library Reviews by Lord of the Night@Talk Wargaming
Lord of the Night

Postby Reinen » Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:06 pm

Lord of the Night wrote:Please please please use Asmodai!! Sapphon is cool but Asmodai is a far better interrogator.

Will we organize vote? :) Joke.
About Asmodai a short story was written. I don't remember, whose. :?

Asmodai might be the best interrogator in the Imperium if what it says about him is true, also it'd be interesting to find out why he is acknowledged as better than Sapphon yet has only made two of the Fallen repent.

IMHO -- Because it inspired strong fear. It had a gloomy reputation.
Reinen

Postby Phoebus » Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:54 pm

Mr. Thorpe, you probably have as much insight as anyone else in the BL/GW circles in terms of the workings of the Dark Angels. Hopefully, that means you can help out with a question on the organizational structure of this Chapter.

Gaming-wise, Codex Chapters have Reserve Companies that are able to field their troops with bikes and Land Speeders. The same with the Assault squads of the Battle Companies. The Dark Angels, though, put the focus - again, gaming-wise - on the Ravenwing. Makes sense. Thing is, though, that seems to have translated (unnecessarily, I think) to the Codex's fluff... which seems to imply that the Dark Angels' Reserve Companies are limited to Rhinos and/or jump packs.

Does that make sense? As an author writing about the Dark Angels, is that something that you would hold as a valid constraint on your material? When you picture the novelized Dark Angels, do you assume that they limit such assets to the Ravenwing alone?

Thanks in advance!
"And where is the prince who can afford so to cover his country with troops for its defense as that ten thousand men descending from the clouds might not in many places do an infinite deal of mischief before a force could be brought together to repel them?"
-- Benjamin Franklin
Phoebus

Postby Xisor » Sun Sep 23, 2012 11:42 pm

Hi Gav,

Just finished Path of the Outcast today - thoroughly enjoyed it. Excellent end to the trilogy. Like LotN, a few questions too.

Spoiler: 1- Okay, it's not a question. Harlequins, adored them. The Kami - wonderful. The Irdiris - magnificent. The escalation of Aradryan's bizarre-adventures, glorious. The whole kit and kaboodle wove together wonderfully. To turn it into a question: did you enjoy the writing of it? Or better: what piece did you enjoy writing the most?

Spoiler: 2- More specifically, you're take on Lechthennian[sp?] as a Solitaire - it was a glorious reveal, but your take on the Solitaire... how were you influenced? There's been talk in a few places of how it's done, what the nature of the Solitaire is, whether they're allowed/able to talk to others etc - I was pleasantly enjoyed by him being both the most enigmatic of characters (well, excepting our Kami chums) and yet also one of the most gregarious and garrulous. Will we ever see more of him and Findelsith's troupe?[/quote]

[spoiler]3- Our lovely Exodite friends - any room for an exploration further into the vagaries of their societies? Or perhaps the legitimacy of their technique and where it fits with respect to the Eldar pantheon? It's a vague and broad question of course, but as you'd mentioned back on your blog with respect to the nature of Khaine and his implication on the reality of their pantheon... well, the Exodites effectively exile themselves from everything about the Eldar society. Is this, arguably, a harking back to the Eldar's initial origins? In the epilogue and final excerpt, you suggest that the ultimate fate of the Eldar is with the species, not with the individual. That certainly ties neatly into the Dance Without End, the reincarnation of the Eldar, the 'loss' of the Widowmaker, the Rhana Dandra, the creation of everything and the phoenix motif.

Right, that got away from me. The point being: how fundamental do you think the symbolism of the 'death' of the pantheon, the survival of only Khaine and Cegorach, is to the more disparate and unexplored elements of the Eldar? Perhaps a 'lesson' that the Exodites effectively have failed or removed themselves from the species - willingly isolating themselves from the fate of their species?

More sensibly, any inclination to involve Exodites in further stories? Though as protagonists it seems, by their nature, that they're not inclined to be 'interesting protagonists', they seem to lend themselves wonderfully to forming an exotic supporting cast.

Spoiler: 4- The chapter openers from all three books: adorable. The exploration of the mythology (both from the Elf side and the Eldar side) is extremely intriguing - any chance of a Grudgelore-style project filling out the details?

Well, that should be enough to get going with. Though...you mentioned in a few of your answers to LotN that there been the odd scene or sub-plot that didn't quite make it into the book, I'd heartily express my interest in seeing any shorts or whatnot that would come from tying off loose ends herein.

Cheers in any case,
Xisor
"When my housemate puts his bike in the middle of the living room floor, I find that inordinately jarring, annoying and rude, but for me to refer to it as "genocide" would be incorrect." -Ath
xisor.wordpress
Xisor's Dice-o-matic Maiminator
Xisor
Site Admin

Postby Liliedhe » Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:52 pm

You made me cry again. :cry:

I just finished "Die Toten zu ehren" (Honour the dead, I suppose). The end made me cry. Again. You enjoy this, don't you? :P

Spoiler: Aquila's speech was awesome, and so very sad. Poor Gaius... Poor little baby. I think this is the first time I read about Space Marines interacting with such a tiny child. What did inspire you to put this element into the story?

One can't help but wonder what will become of tiny Pexilius. Or of Aquila and Septival...

"You were a warleader, a fighter, when did you gain such illuminating insight into the minds of others?"
"I learned such things as you and your brothers applied brand to my flesh and parted skin with rasp and knife," snarled Astelan. "When your witches tried to prise open my mind they opened me for an instant and I stared back."
Liliedhe

Postby shadowhawk2008 » Sun Sep 30, 2012 4:34 pm

Gav, is it becoming a trend in your work that by the end you are going to have the reader/listener (almost) in tears?

Just finished your Mission: Purge audio. The new voice-actors didn't work for me at all but I loved the last 10 minutes of it, especially the Black Shield's last stand. Great work there in the end.

Is it possible to get a character list for the audio? The voice-acting wasn't that clear enough for me to catch the names other that Artemis and Harek.
Shadowhawk's Shade My 40k/writing/review blog. You can check out all my reviews here.

My current fiction projects - Veergati: The Scarlet Records, an Indian space opera inspired by Star Trek.
shadowhawk2008

Postby Dennis the Hamster » Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:45 am

Phoebus wrote:Does that make sense? As an author writing about the Dark Angels, is that something that you would hold as a valid constraint on your material? When you picture the novelized Dark Angels, do you assume that they limit such assets to the Ravenwing alone?

Thanks in advance!

It certainly appears to be the case - I have not seen (for a long time) a bike or speeder painted in non-Ravenwing colours in an official publication.

Gav
Last edited by Dennis the Hamster on Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
www.gavthorpe.co.uk
Facebook - Gav Thorpe
Twitter - DennisHamster
Check out my Angry Robot titles too! http://angryrobotbooks.com/our-authors/gav-thorpe/
Dennis the Hamster

Postby Dennis the Hamster » Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:47 am

Xisor wrote:Hi Gav,

Just finished Path of the Outcast today - thoroughly enjoyed it. Excellent end to the trilogy. Like LotN, a few questions too.

Spoiler: 1- Okay, it's not a question. Harlequins, adored them. The Kami - wonderful. The Irdiris - magnificent. The escalation of Aradryan's bizarre-adventures, glorious. The whole kit and kaboodle wove together wonderfully. To turn it into a question: did you enjoy the writing of it? Or better: what piece did you enjoy writing the most?

Spoiler: 2- More specifically, you're take on Lechthennian[sp?] as a Solitaire - it was a glorious reveal, but your take on the Solitaire... how were you influenced? There's been talk in a few places of how it's done, what the nature of the Solitaire is, whether they're allowed/able to talk to others etc - I was pleasantly enjoyed by him being both the most enigmatic of characters (well, excepting our Kami chums) and yet also one of the most gregarious and garrulous. Will we ever see more of him and Findelsith's troupe?

Spoiler: 3- Our lovely Exodite friends - any room for an exploration further into the vagaries of their societies? Or perhaps the legitimacy of their technique and where it fits with respect to the Eldar pantheon? It's a vague and broad question of course, but as you'd mentioned back on your blog with respect to the nature of Khaine and his implication on the reality of their pantheon... well, the Exodites effectively exile themselves from everything about the Eldar society. Is this, arguably, a harking back to the Eldar's initial origins? In the epilogue and final excerpt, you suggest that the ultimate fate of the Eldar is with the species, not with the individual. That certainly ties neatly into the Dance Without End, the reincarnation of the Eldar, the 'loss' of the Widowmaker, the Rhana Dandra, the creation of everything and the phoenix motif.

Right, that got away from me. The point being: how fundamental do you think the symbolism of the 'death' of the pantheon, the survival of only Khaine and Cegorach, is to the more disparate and unexplored elements of the Eldar? Perhaps a 'lesson' that the Exodites effectively have failed or removed themselves from the species - willingly isolating themselves from the fate of their species?

More sensibly, any inclination to involve Exodites in further stories? Though as protagonists it seems, by their nature, that they're not inclined to be 'interesting protagonists', they seem to lend themselves wonderfully to forming an exotic supporting cast.

Spoiler: 4- The chapter openers from all three books: adorable. The exploration of the mythology (both from the Elf side and the Eldar side) is extremely intriguing - any chance of a Grudgelore-style project filling out the details?

Well, that should be enough to get going with. Though...you mentioned in a few of your answers to LotN that there been the odd scene or sub-plot that didn't quite make it into the book, I'd heartily express my interest in seeing any shorts or whatnot that would come from tying off loose ends herein.

Cheers in any case,
Xisor

There's some pretty involved questions there, so please be patient and I will turn this into a post/ interview for the blog, if you don't mind.

Cheers,

Gav
www.gavthorpe.co.uk
Facebook - Gav Thorpe
Twitter - DennisHamster
Check out my Angry Robot titles too! http://angryrobotbooks.com/our-authors/gav-thorpe/
Dennis the Hamster

Postby Dennis the Hamster » Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:52 am

Liliedhe wrote:You made me cry again. :cry:

I just finished "Die Toten zu ehren" (Honour the dead, I suppose). The end made me cry. Again. You enjoy this, don't you? :P

Spoiler: Aquila's speech was awesome, and so very sad. Poor Gaius... Poor little baby. I think this is the first time I read about Space Marines interacting with such a tiny child. What did inspire you to put this element into the story?

One can't help but wonder what will become of tiny Pexilius. Or of Aquila and Septival...

Spoiler: I wanted the story to be about contrasts - the Titans duking it out unaware of the carnage they cause, and the space marines in comparison to the mother and child - three levels of conflict utterly alien to each other. Plus I wanted to write a BL story with a baby in it.

The continuity gurus on the forum may be able to give you a hint as to what happens to Aquila. We'll see if anyone else spots the link; if not I will spill the beans at some point.

Gav
www.gavthorpe.co.uk
Facebook - Gav Thorpe
Twitter - DennisHamster
Dennis the Hamster

Postby Dennis the Hamster » Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:00 am

shadowhawk2008 wrote:Gav, is it becoming a trend in your work that by the end you are going to have the reader/listener (almost) in tears?

I would like to get an emotional reaction form readers, even with characters as potentially unemotional as space marines. Certainly the mother and baby in Honour to the Dead (referencing Liliedhe's post) was a means to add more emotional consequence to the story. So yes, I suppose I do try to make the reader cry now and then...

Just finished your Mission: Purge audio. The new voice-actors didn't work for me at all but I loved the last 10 minutes of it, especially the Black Shield's last stand. Great work there in the end.

Is it possible to get a character list for the audio? The voice-acting wasn't that clear enough for me to catch the names other that Artemis and Harek.

Brother-captain Artemis, Mortifactors.

Haryk Thunderfang, Space Wolf.

Urbino, the Blackshield.

Brother Lavestus, White Consul.

Brother Sekor, pilot.

Vanor Kempt Issery, captain of the Volans Batavus.
www.gavthorpe.co.uk
Facebook - Gav Thorpe
Twitter - DennisHamster
Dennis the Hamster

Postby shadowhawk2008 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:03 am

By the way, in reference to your FB post, HH or 40k Raven Guard?

shadowhawk2008

Postby Liliedhe » Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:07 am

The continuity gurus on the forum may be able to give you a hint as to what happens to Aquila. We'll see if anyone else spots the link; if not I will spill the beans at some point.

Gav

Ah, he's that Aquila. Somehow, it didn't occur to me that he might be someone I know from 40K references.

Spoiler: He becomes first Chapter Master of the Doom Eagles, right? *hvt* After that speech, I should have guessed. ^^

"You were a warleader, a fighter, when did you gain such illuminating insight into the minds of others?"
"I learned such things as you and your brothers applied brand to my flesh and parted skin with rasp and knife," snarled Astelan. "When your witches tried to prise open my mind they opened me for an instant and I stared back."
Liliedhe

Postby Major Rawne » Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:07 pm

shadowhawk2008 wrote:Gav, is it becoming a trend in your work that by the end you are going to have the reader/listener (almost) in tears?

I would like to get an emotional reaction form readers, even with characters as potentially unemotional as space marines. Certainly the mother and baby in Honour to the Dead (referencing Liliedhe's post) was a means to add more emotional consequence to the story. So yes, I suppose I do try to make the reader cry now and then...

Well of the five of your books I have so far happened to read this year I can honestly say that they all elicited an emotional response of one sort or the other, or a whole spectrum of them. So um... well done :D .

It's one of the main things I particularly enjoyed about the Path of the Eldar series, and am really looking forward to more of not only from yourself, but BL as a whole.
Major Rawne

Postby BL Graeme » Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:26 pm

Gav,

Is it possible that Marcus Valerius might return any time soon? When and where?

:p
BL Graeme

Postby shadowhawk2008 » Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:32 pm

BL Graeme wrote:Gav,

Is it possible that Marcus Valerius might return any time soon? When and where?

:p

Now that's just plain teasing. Not fun! Inquiring minds want to know what you are cooking!!

shadowhawk2008

Postby Liliedhe » Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:37 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marcus_Valerius_Corvus

Hm... *scratches head* *has a sense of deja vu*
Liliedhe

Postby shadowhawk2008 » Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:45 pm

Liliedhe wrote:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marcus_Valerius_Corvus

Hm... *scratches head* *has a sense of deja vu*

Oh wow..... now that's something.

shadowhawk2008

PreviousNext

Return to Board index

Return to Ask the Authors