Star Wars: The Initiation of Theta Cell

This area is for stories written in groups, and collaborative fiction-based games.

Star Wars: The Initiation of Theta Cell

Postby Xisor » Fri Apr 29, 2011 6:20 pm

Well, the Bolthole MSN group is venturing into new territory with the Star Wars Saga Edition roleplay. We're hoping to begin on May 3rd (appropriately the day before Star Wars Day [May the Fourth be with you]). I still haven't cleared up all the details, but my initial thinking is:
- A year or two before the Trade Federation blockade/invasion of Naboo
- Outer rim republic world

Focus in the first session is to be a bit of interplanetary politics, something sub-galactic-senate level, but not just managing a local town planning comittee. As you can guess, I'm a bit unsure of things at the moment, but we'll see how it goes.

Suggestions for what sort of level you feel is appropriate for this sort of thing will be heartily taken aboard. Similarly with thoughts as to what planet or place you think you'd like to visit and any factions that'd be around. I'm all ears!
"When my housemate puts his bike in the middle of the living room floor, I find that inordinately jarring, annoying and rude, but for me to refer to it as "genocide" would be incorrect." -Ath
xisor.wordpress
Xisor's Dice-o-matic Maiminator
Xisor
Site Admin

Re: Star Wars: The Initiation of Theta Cell

Postby shadowhawk2008 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 6:26 pm

There is a Bolthole MSN group? :roll:

Just speed-read the wikipedia entry on this. Sounds really interesting but unfortunately no access to materials so won't be able to contribute.

Good luck though :)

May the Fourth be with you.
Shadowhawk's Shade My 40k/writing/review blog. You can check out all my reviews here.

My current fiction projects - Veergati: The Scarlet Records, an Indian space opera inspired by Star Trek.
shadowhawk2008

Location: Battle-barge Spear of Lycaeus of the Angels of Retribution

Postby LordLucan » Fri Apr 29, 2011 7:02 pm

Can one be a hutt in this RP system?
Check out my debut fantasy novel from Fox Spirit Books, The Hobgoblin's Herald (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hobgoblins-Herald-R-Aston/dp/1910462047). If you've read it, please rate and review it on amazon; I'd be eternally grateful. The sequel, Eater of Names, is out in 2018, so watch this space.
LordLucan

Postby Phalanx » Fri Apr 29, 2011 7:14 pm

I would love to get involved in a roleplay session, if someone is willing to talk a newbie through it and what i need.
"There is an impothter among uth, and he touched my ath!"
ChrisDamico.co.uk
Phalanx

Postby Xisor » Fri Apr 29, 2011 7:42 pm

I'm more'n happy for newbies to come aboard; we're all pretty new to it, so we'll be working together on the rules side of it. So you're entirely welcome to join in, if you can be patient with our own lack of knowledge as mentors :lol:

LL: I don't know.
"When my housemate puts his bike in the middle of the living room floor, I find that inordinately jarring, annoying and rude, but for me to refer to it as "genocide" would be incorrect." -Ath
xisor.wordpress
Xisor
Site Admin

Postby shadowhawk2008 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 7:53 pm

I could potentially scrounge up the resources for this I think. Would have to have a chat with some old friends.

Let me know though :)
Shadowhawk's Shade My 40k/writing/review blog. You can check out all my reviews here.

My current fiction projects - Veergati: The Scarlet Records, an Indian space opera inspired by Star Trek.
shadowhawk2008

Location: Battle-barge Spear of Lycaeus of the Angels of Retribution

Postby Xisor » Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:22 pm

Right, I've set up the MSN group for this. Now, you're all clear kid, let's blow this thing and go home!
xisor.wordpress
Xisor
Site Admin

Postby Stuart000X » Sat Apr 30, 2011 12:08 am

shadowhawk2008 wrote:There is a Bolthole MSN group? :roll:

Just speed-read the wikipedia entry on this. Sounds really interesting but unfortunately no access to materials so won't be able to contribute.

Good luck though :)

May the Fourth be with you.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page

Wookipedia. The wikipedia of Star Wars.
Stuart000X

Postby Ragnar Blackmane » Sat Apr 30, 2011 12:04 pm

And if you are refering to the rules, just come talk to one us... just not on this website. We can work something out :P

EDIT: No grunt bloody work! We have Dark Heresy for meaningless work that nobody will ever notice. Give us something with substance, something dramatic to sink our teeth into.
The Wolfblade's eyes grew unfocused. He blinked once, and smiled. 'Don't take too long getting to the Halls of Russ,' he said, almost too faint to hear,'or I'll have drunk all the good ale before you get there.' He tried to laugh, but the breath escaped in a gentle sigh and the mighty warrior grew still.
Ragnar Blackmane

Postby Xisor » Sat Apr 30, 2011 1:03 pm

Trade dispute between large clans of Verpines and Gotal. Not only that, but the Verpines are being sponsored by mysterious Star Dragons (read: actual space faring dragons).

You've been sourced by a senior Falleen envoy to the super-military world of Fondor to go to an orbital above Skako to sort things out. You're given free reign in resolution, the disputes dimensions include: interplanetary laws, academic advancement for the entire galaxy, moral rights and interest of the individual, the social group, the species, the genes and the wider sphere of influence, interplanetary economics, galactic economics (albeit on a very small portion of it).

Because you're not senior Jedi Knights (like Qui Gon+apprentice), this is somewhat 'serious business'. Moreover: you've not necessarily got specific bosses, you've just been engaged to oversee something by some folks you hardly know. You have an opportunity to impress people who're watching, and a lot of people are watching. Or will at least see the reruns.

(I.e. there's room for interplanetary war depending on how awesomely/terribyl you do.)
xisor.wordpress
Xisor
Site Admin

Postby Phalanx » Sat Apr 30, 2011 1:05 pm

Any word on which expansions we're using?
ChrisDamico.co.uk
Phalanx

Postby Xisor » Sat Apr 30, 2011 3:54 pm

Any/all. I'm only intending to use the corebook for now, but I'm more than happy to trust you folks to know your way about the expansions (or at least know your way as much as I would). Obviously trust your judgement for things (starting play as an unashamed Sith, don't do it!), but if you've went to the trouble of getting a nice shiny book, I'd feel like some sort of mad tyrant saying you're not allowed to use it!

Which is to say: anything goes. Well, not anything, but I'm using the core rules as the baseline, but am happy to entertain things from elsewhere too. (As the site of the dispute [not the negotiations, but the disputed place itself] is out towards the Unknown Regions, I'm inclined to get a hold of that book, at least for inspirational purposes.

Moreover: if you've ideas/desires for your characters, do shout and raise hell for them. I can try to move the plot in ways that are suited to your wishes.
xisor.wordpress
Xisor
Site Admin

Postby Ragnar Blackmane » Sat Apr 30, 2011 5:00 pm

Did you seriously just give us permission to use stuff from the future?

Anyway- WHAT is the argument between the cowardly bugs and the gotals about? Why are the verpine being sponsored by another race? Why that race in particular and what do they gain from it? You said earlier that we where hired by the banking clan, which forgive me if im wrong is a Skakosian business and the their homeworld is Skako. So what has the banking clan got to do with this trade dispute?

Im assuming the ugly bastard with the phermones is part of the banking clan, and we where hired by one of their business interests on Fondor?

If so, we work for the banking clan in this instance yes?

What do they want out of this dispute, or do they simply want it to end for some reason you have not told us?

I think with a situation like this, it would be better if you did a full intro write up so we have it sorted in our heads before we start play, otherwise we are gunna get swamped with info. Then someone might do something... crazy!
The Wolfblade's eyes grew unfocused. He blinked once, and smiled. 'Don't take too long getting to the Halls of Russ,' he said, almost too faint to hear,'or I'll have drunk all the good ale before you get there.' He tried to laugh, but the breath escaped in a gentle sigh and the mighty warrior grew still.
Ragnar Blackmane

Postby Xisor » Sat Apr 30, 2011 5:58 pm

Ragnar Blackmane wrote:Did you seriously just give us permission to use stuff from the future?

Nope. It's still set in 35BBY, I'm pretty certain Star Wars doesn't permit much on the time travel front. Not even warp-did-it 40k style.
Ragnar Blackmane wrote:Anyway- WHAT is the argument between the cowardly bugs and the gotals about? Why are the verpine being sponsored by another race? Why that race in particular and what do they gain from it? You said earlier that we where hired by the banking clan, which forgive me if im wrong is a Skakosian business and the their homeworld is Skako. So what has the banking clan got to do with this trade dispute?

Techno Union: "The Techno Union was one of the Republic commerce guilds. It was a large coalition of high technology firms formed primarily of heavy manufacturing concerns. The Techno Union lobbied the Galactic Senate on behalf of its members' interests and attempted to ensure fair commerce between its members. In time, the Techno Union would grow to include galactic shipping magnates to further ensure the free flow of goods."

Capital: Skako. Skako is essentially a super-pressure forgeworld more or less caught up in the Techno Union, but the Techno Union work far beyond their capital and aren't 'super power hungry capitalists' in the same way the Trade Federation itself is. As you see in the quote above: fair commerce and acting on behalf of member interests. E.g.: side with the Techno Union, they look after your interests. The Gotal clan involved are trying to get the Techno Union to side in their interests against the Verpine in digging out natural resources.

The Verpine are already set up, though not so much so that they're immoveable. If the Techno Union came down on them, they'd be essentially buggered and have to go look elsewhere. But there's many options. The Verpine conglomerate involved could seek to join the Techno Union, for instance and force the Gotal to become clients in their operation.

Why the Star Dragons do anything isn't clear, but for whatever mysterious reasons of theirs, they're aiding the Verpines and the Verpines are using this (alleged) clout to secure claim to the system. How close/strong the bond is between the Verpine Conglomerate and the Star Dragons is not clear to you lot, but the Gotal are hoping that their bond with the massively more powerful (but much less exotic) Techno Union is sufficient to shift the Verpines.

Bare Gotal case they claim: "We had a fair deal, it should be honoured, the Verpine should be moved on as it's in remit, not theirs, even though they've started work. [Neither had proper claim to the system, or it'd be solved easily. But it's not clear cut whether the Techno Union should 'muscle in' to protect its members and secure its own interests, or forefeit the rights of one of its members and run the risks of the news getting out.]"

Bare Verpine case they claim: "We've got equal claim to the system, we've already started work, we'll do it better, we've got support of the mystery-space-monsters so we can offer you efficiency, quality and 'a little something extra' [better relations with the Dragons], all you need to do is tell the Gotal to back off."

The Fondor folks are another 'wing' of the Techno Union. Because it's a workers' guild, it's not clear-cut 'lead' by any one particular group, there's lots of factions. Fondor is a very rich place, and it's in the interests of Union members (and non-Union associates[e.g. this Falleen ambassador]) on Fondor to ensure that the resources to be secured from the Gotal/Verpine operation continue to flow in their direction. They're happy to pay big money, provided it's a good deal: both Gotal and Verpine offer good options versus other potential operations, so they're keen to see that their interests (i.e. the work gets done) actually are met.

And everyone's interested in finding out a bit more about the Star Dragons, so there's an academic/exploration side of things too.

Much clearer?

Who you work for: the Techno Union as 'outsourced advisors'. You're not beholden to them, but they're keen to ensure they get your insights as they're expecting you to reach a quicker solution than simply sending in business analysts. (It'd be much easier if it were a conflict between union members, or between non-union members. One of each makes it more difficult so you lot, the outside observers, are quite valuable.)

Unfortunately the news/media/gangsters/politicians/military/other-businesses will all be paying attention too.
xisor.wordpress
Xisor
Site Admin

Postby Squiggle » Sat Apr 30, 2011 9:12 pm

moved this to the right section of t'forum.

carry on as you were!
If my mind's the weapon, my heart's the extra clip

Forum Moderator

@sqyiggle
Squiggle

Postby Xisor » Sat Apr 30, 2011 9:13 pm

I sense something; a presence I've not felt since..." ;)
xisor.wordpress
Xisor
Site Admin

Postby Xisor » Mon May 02, 2011 11:33 pm

It begins!

I'm hoping to convene this at around 6pm British time on the evening of the 3rd of May. Level 5 characters, be there or be square. Phalanx'll be a bit later, but we'll still have to do a spot of double-checking and introductions to everyone and such as we begin.

I hope to see you all soon!
xisor.wordpress
Xisor
Site Admin

Postby Phalanx » Tue May 03, 2011 1:27 am

I should be home at 6pm. I'll be on ASAP.
ChrisDamico.co.uk
Phalanx

Postby Xisor » Tue May 03, 2011 5:49 pm

Don't rush too much, I've still to harrass a couple of things together. I'll be back down at the house in ten/twenty minutes though and shouldn't be too far from being prepared!

Toodle-oo for now, see y'all soon!
xisor.wordpress
Xisor
Site Admin

Postby Xisor » Tue May 10, 2011 1:44 pm

Xisor's Apologies

With exams next week and the week after (but then freedom from then on in), I'd be keen to put this on hold for the next three Tuesdays (including today).

If it's of consolation, Ragnar's not been about the last few days either, so it's possibly it'd have just been Phalanx & Maugan Ra; a perfectly fine duo to run the game with, but not full capacity either.

Mega apologies on this. :(
xisor.wordpress
Xisor
Site Admin

Next

Return to Board index

Return to Collaborative Fiction