Skip to content

Calling all Rogue Traders...

This area is for stories written in groups, and collaborative fiction-based games.

Re: Calling all Rogue Traders...

Postby Rahvin » Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:16 pm

So I figured on here would probably be best for discussing the whole shipbuilding part, since we've got a week or so to do it and it doesn't rely on everyone being logged in and available simultaneously.

So... starships. Opinions?

I like the idea of the Goliath factory-ship, but at the same time it would probably be really handy to have something faster, more manoeuvrable and with some actual claws. Especially to start off in. So my other choice would be something like the Meritech Shrike - it's a fast raider with good gun prospects (which will help since we'll be relying on our NPC bridge crew for most of the void combat stuff).

Or we could game the warrant path and be a dynasty of destitutes, but destitutes with a cruiser!
Rahvin

Postby Rahvin » Tue Nov 25, 2014 4:55 pm

Okay, so I was bored this afternoon and leafing through the RT books, so I thought I'd whip up a couple of possible-starting-block starships to give us somewhere to jump off from. There's the gunboat raider, and the utility barge.

First up,

The Last Gasp

Hull: Meritech Shrike-class Raider
Speed: 10
Manoeuvrability: +30
Detection: +20
Hull Integrity: 30
Armour: 16
Turret Rating: 2
Weapon Capacity: Dorsal 1 / Prow 1

Essential Components:
Jovian Class-2 plasma drive, Strelov-1 warp drive, Warpsbane hull, single void-shield array, command bridge, Vitae-pattern life-sustainer, voidsmen quarters, M-100 Auger array

Supplemental Components:
Augmented Retro-thrusters
Dorsal Sunsear Laser Batter
(S4 / 1d10+2 / Crit 4 / Rng 9)
Prow Mezoa Lance Weapon
(S1 / 1d10+5 / Crit 4 / Rng 4)

Bonuses:
+10 BS
+5 Command
+10 Warp Navigation
Roll twice and pick the best result for warp encounters

Space: 35/35
Power: 44/45
Ship Point Cost: 42

Or...

The Sundiver

Hull: Goliath-class Factory Ship
Speed: 4
Manoeuvrability: -2
Detection: +4
Hull Integrity: 50
Armour: 14
Space: 40
Turret Rating: 1
Weapon Capacity: Dorsal 1 / Port 1 / Starboard 1

Essential Components:
Lathe 2a plasma drive, Strelov-1 warp drive, Warpsbane hull, single void-shield array, combat bridge, Vitae-pattern life-sustainer, voidsmen quarters, M-100 Auger array

Supplemental Components:
Empyrean Mantle, Sensorium, Medicae Deck, Melodium, Augmented Retro-thrusters, Main Cargo Hold (x2)
Dorsal Sunhammer Lance
(S1 / 1d10+3 / Crit 3 / Rng 9)
Port Jovian Missile Battery
(S5 / 1d10+1 / Crit 6 / Rng 6)
Starboard Jovian Missile Battery

Bonuses:
+10 Tech-Use for repairs
+10 Warp Navigation
Roll twice and pick best result for warp encounters
+250 Trade
+3 Morale
+10 to all social skills
+10 Charm skill
+10 Commerce skill
-20 to detect on Silent Running
+50 Criminal
+10 Power (as long as it sundives once per year)
+100 Achievement Points (from refining and selling harvested plasma)

Space: 40/40
Power: 54/50
Ship Point Cost: 41

Note: The ship uses 54/50 power because I forgot to account for the pre-installed main cargo holds (that need 2 power each to run). However, this can easily be gotten around by simply turning off the dorsal lance (needs 9 power) when hauling cargo, or deactivating the Melodium, Medicae Deck and Sensorium (1/2/1 power respectively) when the lance is needed in combat. Or the Empyrean Mantle once we've been busted (3 power). Or just let whatever cargo we're hauling languish without lights or power, depending on what we're hauling.
Rahvin

Postby Rahvin » Fri Nov 28, 2014 1:30 am

Tristan Casimir’s Notes: Void Assets

The Cadastis Dynasty used to have a burgeoning fleet. A full flotilla – capital ships, frigate packs, whole convoys of transports. It’s an old dynasty, and it used to be a very, very wealthy one.

Sadly, ‘used to be’ is the operative phrase. Near enough the entire fleet has been sold off, scrapped or mothballed one way or another, whether through old rivalries or to pay old debts. All that’s left is the Sundiver, and that’s been retrofitted so many times that I’m surprised it doesn’t disassemble itself.

Back when it was new, from what I’ve been able to find out, it was a factory ship. Keel laid down at the Lathes by the mech-adepts, commissioned as a roving refinery. Its original run took it most of the way around the sector – raw materials pickup, scoop up some free solar plasma and use it to smelt those raw ores down, onboard processing manufactorum to turn those into useable products, then back to the Lathes to drop them off before starting another run. Typical mechanicus efficiency outlook – if your ore-hauler’s going to be at warp for the best part of a year or two hauling, why not make the most of the time and get it to do its own processing along the way?

Metatron Veneris Cadastis MCCLXIV (that’s thirty-four generations before the, uh, current change in nomenclature policy) acquired it… somehow. The ownership documents are all in order, but nobody ever thought to write down why or how it changed hands from the Lathes to the dynasty. Regardless of how he got his hands on it, the first thing old two-thousand-two-hundred-sixty-four did was substantially upgrade the plasma drive and rip out the ore manufactorums to make room for Emperor-knows what. The only records are of a refit at Footfall where the manufactorum was gutted and the parts sold to an unknown bidder. Since this was somewhere around thirteen hundred years ago, the exact details are a little murky.

At first the Sundiver went through a period of being the dynasty’s back-line barge – it was a self-sustaining long-range transport. Somewhere along the line someone added the arboretum section and the luxury penthouse wings to spruce up those long trips. The warp drive changeout I can trace, back to Metatron Veneris Cadastis MCCLXXI, who was by all other reports something of a bad egg as far as the rest of the dynasty were concerned. Far too fast-and-loose with accepted family policy. He oversaw the retrofit that added the Miloslav warp drive, which did wonders for productivity but nothing for safety. One of the first thing the next Cadastis did was refit the entire hull with prayer-etchings and mount a blessed statue pride of place to project the Gellar field from, to go some way to compensating for the temperamental warp drive. Worked wonders back then, nowadays its getting a bit… worn. The statue depicts a saint either so old or so obscure or both that I haven’t been able to find anybody who actually knows who it is, and the ship interior’s been refitted so many times that the cabling for the Gellar projectors is about three miles too long, which leads to some unfortunate power draw issues. But it still works, at least.

Somewhere along the line somebody decided it needed teeth, so cue another round of retrofitting. I don’t know the particular Cadastis responsible, but drydock records put it somewhere around seven hundred years ago. Footfall again, but this time the family funds must have been running even tighter than usual, because it’s a rough job. The hull’s superstructure is honeycombed with missile pods, and the retro-thrusters they bolted on the side are clumsy at best – part of me thinks they were badly damaged at one point and the repair job was a deep-void improvisation. But everything’s in working order (though those thrusters are far too power-inefficient for my tastes) and the missile tubes all respond well.

In all, the Sundiver’s a perfectly serviceable ship. She’s old, she’s been through more than a few facelifts, but she’s still carting along. The warp drive’s outstanding and the plasma drive’s a lathe-2, which goes a long way to compensating for the fact that she drives like a riverboat rather than a spacecraft. The penthouse wing along the spine is a blessing – the arboretum alone is worth its weight in gold, never mind the sensorium and the librarium. Like everything else in the Cadastis dynasty, it needs some work, but that’s Ezhuul’s problem now.

The Sundiver [Mk.II]

Hull: Goliath-class Factory Ship
Speed: 4
Manoeuvrability: -2
Detection: +9
Hull Integrity: 50
Armour: 14
Space: 40
Turret Rating: 1
Weapon Capacity: Dorsal 1 / Port 1 / Starboard 1
Crew Rating: Crack (40)
Population: 102
Morale: 99

Essential Components:
Lathe 2a plasma drive, Miloslav G-616.b warp drive, Warpsbane hull (poor quality), single void shield, combat bridge, M-1.r life-sustainer, voidsmen quarters, M-201.b Auger array

Supplemental Components:
Main cargo hold (x2),Luxury passenger quarters, augmented retro-thrusters (poor quality), arboretum, librarium, pharmacia, sensorium
Dorsal Jovian Missile Battery
Port Jovian Missile Battery
Starboard Jovian Missile Battery

Bonuses:
Halve all warp travel times. Roll for warp encounters every 3 days
+10 Warp Navigation
Roll twice and pick best result for warp encounters
+10 Tech-use for repairs
Increase all morale losses by 1
+350 Trade achievement points
+100 Criminal achievement points
+50 Creed achievement points
Double time in void without suffering crew or morale losses (to 12 months)
+10 to any investigation skill tests made aboard
Can synthesise any known chemical (enough per day for the whole crew), requires a SL (Chymistry) test with a difficulty of the compound's availability
+10 to all Charm and Commerce tests made with the aid of the Sensorium

Space: 40/40
Power: 50/50
Ship Point Cost: 44
Last edited by Rahvin on Mon Dec 01, 2014 7:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Rahvin

Postby LordLucan » Sat Nov 29, 2014 6:05 pm

My internet has run out this month annoyingly. I don't have regular access till dec 11
Check out the start of my new serialised novel, Gingerbread, published with Jukepop Serials (It is free to read, so please read and comment). Here's the link, enjoy:
https://www.jukepopserials.com/home/read/1367/?chapter=2&p=0&sl=10
LordLucan

Postby Rahvin » Tue Dec 02, 2014 12:16 am

Whoa. Okay, so I was numbercrunching to see how much stuff we could haul, and... holy crap.

The Goliath is 4.9km long, and 0.9km broad at the fins (I guesstimate that it's about 0.4km wide through the body). This gives us a guesstimated floor area of 16 square kilometers. Given the illustrations for the Goliath, I'd say it's taller than it is wide (in the body - obviously the rear bulk is even more so) so I estimate it at an average of 0.6km tall. So this thing has an internal volume of 9.6 cubic kilometers. Which is HUGE.

With 48 space divided between 9.6km^3, 1 space handily equals 0.2 km^3.

So one of our main cargo holds can comfortably be filled with one hundred billion litres. Which, according to WolframAlpha, is almost twice as much volume as, say, the entire world's oil production for all of 2012. Or twice the volume of every single human alive. We could abduct a planet and still have an empty hold spare.

It also means we have nearly three cubic kilometers of engines, and the arboretum is around 40 hectares (nearly 100 acres).

We actually do have a full-on flying city. And that's awesome.
Rahvin

Postby Razhbad » Wed Jan 07, 2015 7:28 pm

So very pleased you guys decided to get back into rp, keep up the good work
Razhbad

Previous

Return to Collaborative Fiction