The Arrested Fall [Alternate 30K][UPDATES GALORE!]

Got some current fan fiction? 40k, WFB, Age of Sigmar and all other fiction is to be found here.

The Arrested Fall [Alternate 30K][UPDATES GALORE!]

Postby LordLucan » Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:54 am

Just a bit of fun. This is a speculative, 'what if?' scenario, about what would happen is one key event in Warhammer 40K history... happened slightly differently...

I hope you enjoy this:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The Arrested Fall.

The Arrested Fall.

For a million years, the eldar reined as the supreme empire of the galaxy; the ultimate winners of the War in heaven. As they grew in power, they also grew in decadence, and became obsessed with excess and the attainment of perfection in all endeavours. They wished to sample and dominate every sensation imaginable, and their imaginations were near-limitless.

The serpent of she who thirsts rose in their decaying souls. A dark shadow of the pleasure god flowed beneath the surface of their civilisation. For millennia, it seemed as if the eldar race were rushing headlong into a great, calamitous fall from grace. The eldar, if they didn’t realise what was about to happen, might very well have collapsed and been devoured by their own god.

Alas, this did not occur. Some force, some vile demagogue Witchling Prince of the eldar, calling himself Vileth the Beatific, and his blessed muses, wormed their way into control of the Great Eldar Empire. Through some foul means, they illuminated the eldar race as to the nature of the god they were creating. The eldar race was deluded into believing that this being was a perfect reflection of their true nature. With guile and malice, a series of civil wars were fought between the servants of the old gods and the followers of this new, dreadful ‘Slannesh’. But, though the empire was embroiled in centuries of war, they managed to stave off the far worse fate of the Fall.

The eldar survived. The children of Morai-Heg, Khaine and Asuryan, were defeated and the scant remnants of those eldar loyal to the old gods were exiled. They fled into the protection of Cegorach's labyrinth. Using their powerful wraith-tech, the Farseers and their harlequin allies sealed off their new home, the port Commorragh, from the rest of the galaxy.

The Eldar Empire, now unified under Vileth, looked to the galaxy in disgust. For too long, the mewling parasites of the younger races had been allowed too much freedom. The Imperial Eldar declared that they were divine, for they were each part of Slannesh. As gods, they demanded tribute, and the smaller alien empires were forced to comply.

Resistance to their reign came from an unexpected source. The mon keigh was a race long thought tame; their ‘Golden Age’ of technology had been curbed by the eldar empire a millennium previously, by creating kin-strife between the mon keigh and their Iron men servants, which sparked a war that shattered the mon keigh empire in twain and allowed the primordial annihilator to subvert and ruin many human strongholds.

However, in secret, the mon keigh were uniting under a new leader. Eldar spies long sought out this powerful being, known only as the Emperor, but they could never find him. He was a shifter of shapes, with a network of spies and mysterious collaborators. The Imperial eldar, in their arrogance, did not realise the power of this man. They assumed he was some petty warlord squabbling over the scraps of the extinct human empires. But the Emperor was powerful; at least a match for the most lethal eldar ancients.

Covertly however, the Emperor was gathering together an alliance, a new empire to challenge the false gods. To lead his insurgency, he began to experiment with creating the perfect genetic soldiers; soldiers who could not be subverted by the warrior robots of the eldar. These soldiers would be led by generals even more powerful, with bodies infused with warp energy siphoned from the raw warp itself.

The Emperor though, had enemies even in his own ranks. They were spies for the eldar, and they told them that the Emperor was building unspecified, warp-based superweapons. But before the eldar could investigate further, or destroy the Emperor’s foetal Primarchs, the Emperor destroyed his own labs. It looked like his experiment was a failure, and the eldar simply laughed off the mon keigh as mere deluded simpletons. What they did not realise was that the Emperor had scattered his Primarchs to the eight winds. They grew up strong on diverse worlds far across the galaxy.

When the time was right, and when the Emperor had at last completed his Adeptus Astartes, he set out on The Secret Crusade; a crusade to reunite the disparate human strongholds, and to locate his twenty lost sons. Alas, two of them were destroyed by the eldar before he could reach them, but the others were found, one by one, over the course of 200 years of campaigning. Some had built their own fiefdoms and empires, while others were slaves or raiding warlords, but they all recognised the Emperor when he covertly met with them.

They fought at the forefront of every battle, subduing or subsuming every lesser xenos empires and human colonies they could into their own congregation of races. This reached its peak at Ullanor.

Upon the plains of Ullanor, the great Black Ork of Ullanor met with Horus of the Luna Wolves, and there they forged the pivotal alliance that would shape the nature of the ensuing war. The great ork empire was the largest enclave of orks in the galaxy, and could bully lesser ork empires into fighting for them if they needed to. The orks had no particular friendship with the humans; indeed, for thousands of years previously, the orks and men had made war upon each other without hesitation. But Horus, ever the consummate diplomat, knew just what to say. The greenskins didn’t like humanity, but they at least respected them more than the eldar. In the end, the prospect of taking the fight to the heart of the eldar empire was irresistible to the great Black Ork. If the humans got in the orks' way, the orks would not hesitate to crump them, but otherwise something approaching a concordance was reached between the two.

Horus was named Warmaster by the Emperor, who returned to Terra to work on the next phase of the coming conflict.

The humans declared their defiance for the Imperial eldar in characteristically dramatic fashion. At Istavaan III, an eldar war fleet was lured into a masterful ambush by Horus, who destroyed the machine army, and its eldar directors, almost to a man. The Emperor and the primarchs had just declared open war on the Eldar Empire. Furthermore, Horus denounced the eldar as phony deities. The eldar were not gods; there were no gods. To the vainglorious madman Vileth, this was sacrilege. This was madness.

This was heresy.

###

It is the 31st Millennium, and the Human Heresy has begun. Across the galaxy, serf worlds throw off the shackles of eldar rule, and declare themselves for the Emperor’s Warmaster.

The Black Ork has managed to unite the largest number of his odious brethren for centuries, and as they attack the eldar’s property, it becomes clear than the orks are taking advantage of the situation, to attack the eldar while they are distracted with the mon keigh.

The greenskin scum and the mon keigh infest the galaxy like vermin. They outnumber the eldar, but not by much. And the Eldar Empire is no crumbling weakling realm; under Vileth the Beatific, they are almost as strong as the original unified empire. World-sized warships of devastating power are theirs to command, alongside technology and magic the likes of which most races could only dream off. Armies of terrifying, relentless 'Maton', unfeeling entities built to conquer and destroy, are amongst the forces loyal to Vileth’s regime. Vileth himself wields Anaris, and has vowed to exterminate the human race in its entirety, to the last infant; a fitting punishment for their disloyalty.

But there is hope for the rebels. The Primarchs of humanity are mighty, and they lead the Space Marine Legions into battle. Humanity must either win, or face extinction. But is their faith and trust in the Primarchs misplaced? And what role might the diasporadic forces of the Great and Terrible Maelstrom play in the Heresy to come?

I cannot say.

EDIT: Slightly edited the italic part of this.
Check out my debut fantasy novel from Fox Spirit Books, The Hobgoblin's Herald (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hobgoblins-Herald-R-Aston/dp/1910462047). If you've read it, please rate and review it on amazon; I'd be eternally grateful. The sequel, Eater of Names, is out in 2018, so watch this space.
LordLucan

Re: The Arrested Fall [Alternate 30K]

Postby Xisor » Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:59 am

Bah! Humbug!

(I enjoyed it mightily.)
"When my housemate puts his bike in the middle of the living room floor, I find that inordinately jarring, annoying and rude, but for me to refer to it as "genocide" would be incorrect." -Ath
xisor.wordpress
Xisor's Dice-o-matic Maiminator
Xisor
Site Admin

Postby MetalKing1417 » Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:39 am

Pure awesomeness.

So, will any other races come to play like the all devouring Tyranid menace or the Necrons?
MetalKing1417

Postby LordLucan » Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:49 am

MetalKing1417 wrote:Pure awesomeness.

So, will any other races come to play like the all devouring Tyranid menace or the Necrons?

*shrug* dunno.

Probably not, as the Tyranids and necrons had no role in the primary-timeline 30K heresy setting.
Check out my debut fantasy novel from Fox Spirit Books, The Hobgoblin's Herald (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hobgoblins-Herald-R-Aston/dp/1910462047). If you've read it, please rate and review it on amazon; I'd be eternally grateful. The sequel, Eater of Names, is out in 2018, so watch this space.
LordLucan

Postby Xisor » Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:32 am

LordLucan wrote:
MetalKing1417 wrote:Pure awesomeness.

*shrug* dunno.

Probably not, as the Tyranids and necrons had no role in the primary-timeline 30K heresy setting.

Well, you're going to have to do something about the Primarchs being a reincarnation of/allegory for the Pantheon. Who corresponds to who? Only those corresponding to Gork*, Mork*, Khaine**, the Space Marines (children) of Isha*** (not the Primarch - they get killed/captured, by Nurgle), Cegorach**** and so forth.

Also, the Necrons mightn't have had a primary role, but if the Eldar of the day are still pre-apocalypse, they might be interested in cleaving to some of their elder gods - thus you might have eldar serving alongside Primarchs. And the Emperor, as Slaanesh won't have comploded everything, mightn't quite have got on his 'gods are rubbish' high-horse.

In that way, with the Primarchs as avatars of the gods, you might have the War in Heaven played out properly. Night Haunter kidnapping Ferrus Manus and forcing him to forge one hundred/thousand C'tan Phase Swords out of his own hands to arm his Night Lords, in the meanwhile crippling the Gorgon by maiming his hands. Or whatever... 8-)

* I Am WAAAAGHlpharius
** Night Haunter? Night Haunter, actually, have him actually go nuts and kill Dorn. Or maybe one of Dorn's chiefs. *looks at Sigismund suspiciously*
*** Salamanders? Ultramarines?
**** Magnus, obviously - webway, innit.
"When my housemate puts his bike in the middle of the living room floor, I find that inordinately jarring, annoying and rude, but for me to refer to it as "genocide" would be incorrect." -Ath
xisor.wordpress
Xisor
Site Admin

Postby MetalKing1417 » Fri Dec 21, 2012 3:11 am

Xisor wrote: And the Emperor, as Slaanesh won't have comploded everything, mightn't quite have got on his 'gods are rubbish' high-horse.

Actually with the Eldar declaring themselves gods (and probably are rather cruel ones to boot), the Emperor's the gods are rubish might well be the perfect propoganda tool for the human race.

Also, I realized the humanity in this setting now plays the role of the Tau in Vanilla 40k.
MetalKing1417

Postby Xisor » Fri Dec 21, 2012 3:39 am

MetalKing1417 wrote:Also, I realized the humanity in this setting now plays the role of the Tau in Vanilla 40k.

;)

Now ask yourself this: There's one Emperor, but he's supposedly the culmination of the ritual sacrifice of all humanity's shamans. What if the Ethereals decided to ritually sacrifice themselves? Or they thought about it but realised they didn't need to... Or something along those lines.
xisor.wordpress
Xisor
Site Admin

Postby librisrouge » Fri Dec 21, 2012 5:13 am

With 60k coming toward its exciting end, will this be the next project for LordL?

If so, we should all prepare to see awesome.
librisrouge

Postby Blinded » Fri Dec 21, 2012 4:45 pm

Yet another creative AU by LordL. The Craftworlders pushed back behind the bars, and the Dark Gods desperate to find a champion against the all-consuming Slaanesh who is going to break the game of Gods.

Necron prophecies not working "Just as Planed" for once and in their deep slumber they are unaware.

The only odd thing with this picture is Orks, or rather Black Orks, who act more like Orcs from Fantasy than the irrational (as far as the others are concerned) and warlike Green Tide I remember. Though there's this matter of Orks captured and enslaved by Dark Eldars in canon and their distinct unorkiness to consider. Could it be that the Orks have changed, or evolved (or been evolved) in some way to act like this?

And of course's there's Vect to consider, the lowly devil who ruined Dark Eldar nobility and created his twisted meritocracy... I don't think he would stand the church of slaanesh, because I highly doubt Vainglorious founders of this church would disregard their own birth and inherent superiority over the rest of the Eldar, just as Eldar are superior to xenos.

And THAT is something a person of great ambitions like Vect can not live with.
Worm and W40K are both dieing worlds, but while Worm is barely managing to avoid getting swallowed up, 40K is trying to stab Death in the eye with a chainsaw. - .IronSun.
Blinded

Postby SIngemeister » Fri Dec 21, 2012 6:20 pm

Ladies and Gentlemen, let us strap ourselves in and be prepared for awesome.
SIngemeister

Postby Bane Of Kings » Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:04 pm

This is going to be awesome :).
BOOK/FILM/GAME/TV REVIEWS
http://thefictionalhangout.blogspot.co.uk/
"The Machine asked me to tell you something before we part. You once told John the whole point of Pandora’s box was that once you’ve opened it, you can’t close it again. She wanted me to remind you of how the story ends. When everything is over, when the worst has happened, there’s still one thing left in Pandora’s box: hope"
Bane Of Kings

Postby JJvagnar » Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:49 pm

Looking forward to this.
JJvagnar

Postby HafezFromParadox » Sat Mar 09, 2013 8:26 am

Is this going to be expanded?

Also, why Ullanor and not Gharkul Blackfang?
HafezFromParadox

Postby LordLucan » Tue May 14, 2013 5:52 pm

[This project is something I’ll look to expand once I’m done with Age of Dusk. In the mean time, here’s a hint of things to come. These are the provisional titles of the first 6 additional sections, which will cover the main factions.]

Faction #1: The Vilethian Regime’s Forces

Faction #2: The Insurgency of Mankind

Faction #3: The Empire of Gharkul Blackfang

Faction #4: The Phoenix City

Faction #5: The Diaspora of the Great and Terrible Maelstrom

Faction #6: The Iron Martians
LordLucan

Postby thor2006 » Tue May 14, 2013 6:32 pm

What are the alliances here?
Does faction 2 and faction 3 are allies against faction 1 at least?
Tell us about the non known factions 4,5,6,please?
thor2006

Postby LordLucan » Tue May 14, 2013 6:51 pm

thor2006 wrote:What are the alliances here?

You shall find out, when I write these new sections.

Does faction 2 and faction 3 are allies against faction 1 at least?

The Insurgency of Mankind and the Orks are allied in the way nazi germany and the soviet union were allies initially.

Tell us about the non known factions 4,5,6,please?

I will tell you more, when I write them. But I'll give you hints:

The phoenix City, a legendary city, where the Phoenix King is worshipped above all others...

The Diaspora of the Maelstrom... a faction inhabiting the largest warp storm in the galaxy...

The Iron Martians... the results of the Age of Strife are different to the results in the original timeline...
LordLucan

Postby thor2006 » Tue May 14, 2013 7:29 pm

Even the orks know that figting against the Human Insurgency while at war with the dominant Galactic power (The Eldar Empire) is stupid. Afterwards yes the Orks and Humans will be enemies, but until the Eldar are defeated the alliance would remain.
Also the orks will know the Eldar would not stop with killing the humans but will try to exterminate them also for their part in the rebelion.
Also Nazis and Soviets were not allied in a war against a huge international alliance, but had a non agreation pact. More likely the relashion between Orks and Humans are like Soviets and Allies. Allies until the Nazis defeat then enemies.
2.Many of the other factions 4,5 and 6 are more likely to be neutral to friendly to humanity and the Emperor? I'm correct?
3.Is this another attempt to make the Warhammer Galaxy more grimdark than it is in OTL?
4. Are any other minor alliens allies to humanity? I don't believe the eldar ended enslaving humans only, and the Emperor main anti xeno attacks are the eldar. The Human insurgency is more capable to make alliances with xenos than OTL Great Crusade IOM or 40k IOM.
5.What is the attitude of the Human Insurgency towards eldar slaves?
thor2006

Postby LordLucan » Tue May 14, 2013 9:49 pm

thor2006 wrote:Even the orks know that figting against the Human Insurgency while at war with the dominant Galactic power (The Eldar Empire) is stupid.

You assume the orks remain unified throughout the Heresy. Assume nothing. :lol:

Afterwards yes the Orks and Humans will be enemies, but until the Eldar are defeated the alliance would remain.

Possibly. Assume nothing. ;)

Also the orks will know the Eldar would not stop with killing the humans but will try to exterminate them also for their part in the rebelion.

The ork response? 'Bring it on pointy ear pansies!'

Also Nazis and Soviets were not allied in a war against a huge international alliance, but had a non agreation pact.

I am quite aware. My choice of analogy was quite deliberate.

More likely the relashion between Orks and Humans are like Soviets and Allies. Allies until the Nazis defeat then enemies.

Assume nothing! :D Speculation's fine, but analogies are just analogies. These are aliens, and there are lots of twists and turns possible; alliance brokered and broken, allies becoming enemies, betrayals and double-crossings. Rogue elements causing trouble, manipulating factions trying to turn the war to their advantage, etc.

2.Many of the other factions 4,5 and 6 are more likely to be neutral to friendly to humanity and the Emperor? I'm correct?

You'll have to wait for me to write the story.

3.Is this another attempt to make the Warhammer Galaxy more grimdark than it is in OTL?

No, this is an attempt to see how the galaxy would be a very different place if the fall did not happen, and having fun altering the setting in interesting ways hopefully. For instance, commorragh is not a dark city int his setting, but a palce where the enemies of the tyrannical Vileth have gathered. istvaan III is not the scene of Horus' betrayal, but a heroic event sparking off the Human Rebellion.

It will change the destinies of certain characters, changing alliegences in some cases.

4. Are any other minor alliens allies to humanity? I don't believe the eldar ended enslaving humans only, and the Emperor main anti xeno attacks are the eldar. The Human insurgency is more capable to make alliances with xenos than OTL Great Crusade IOM or 40k IOM.

Story. Not. Written. Yet. :lol: But more seriously, there are other minor xenos involved, but this is only an overview; I will be writing additional background on all the factions. Remember how detailed AoD is? That's how I write. Trust me, you will be getting detail. There's no point me spoiling it before I've even written it is there?

5.What is the attitude of the Human Insurgency towards eldar slaves?

Eldar slaves? The Insurgency of Man does not take slaves. The Vilethian Regime doesn't really take eldar slaves either, they take alien slaves.
LordLucan

Postby thor2006 » Tue May 14, 2013 10:17 pm

Ok. Thanks.
During their fall the Eldar Empire ,kept Eldar slaves. Most of the violence was focused internally against other eldar.
Even the Dark Eldar in OTL have eldar slaves. So despite their decadence stopped I do bellieved they reached a point ,from your overview , that the Eldar Empire still had plenty and numerous eldar slaves.
thor2006

Postby LordLucan » Tue May 14, 2013 10:49 pm

thor2006 wrote:Ok. Thanks.
During their fall the Eldar Empire ,kept Eldar slaves. Most of the violence was focused internally against other eldar.
Even the Dark Eldar in OTL have eldar slaves. So despite their decadence stopped I do bellieved they reached a point ,from your overview , that the Eldar Empire still had plenty and numerous eldar slaves.

They might have taken eldar slaves in the past, but not by the time of 30K in the alternate timeline. Vileth's ideology is taht the eldar are gods; enslaving other gods would contradict his propaganda.
LordLucan

Next

Return to Board index

Return to Fan Fiction