Growth: Voting Thread

The Bolthole's monthly 1,000 word story competition.

Growth: Voting Thread

Postby LordLucan » Tue Nov 26, 2013 3:03 pm

Hi guys, this is the voting thread for this month's RiaR competition.

ou have three votes. Your first place vote will receive 3 points, your second place vote will receive 2 points and your third place vote will receive 1 point.

Please be clear when you're voting and please use all your votes.

The deadline for voting this month will be 2300GMT on Sunday 1st December. If you want an extension to that, you need to PM me as soon as it becomes clear you won't make the deadline.

Slight extension on the deadline time this month. Sorry about being tardy getting this thread up this month.

Now, get voting, and may the best entry win.

LL
Check out my debut fantasy novel from Fox Spirit Books, The Hobgoblin's Herald (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hobgoblins-Herald-R-Aston/dp/1910462047). If you've read it, please rate and review it on amazon; I'd be eternally grateful. The sequel, Eater of Names, is out in 2018, so watch this space.
LordLucan

Re: Growth: Voting Thread

Postby TunnelRat68 » Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:10 pm

A tricky one this month but interesting to see that each entry has veered away from mass battles etc and focussed on the detail of a situation.

Mossy Toes – Doubt
A very ‘disturbing’ description of the self-sacrifice required of a disciple of the four true Gods. And it builds nicely but still asks questions as to whether he will be successful in his transcendence to the Dark Side and be rewarded or punished for his attempt. In short, please write Part 2 and finish it (and me off).

Rusk - The Birth of the Biahry Rebellion: A Short History
I liked the narrative and references out to other Docs that gave it a greater depth than simply telling a history. My only real criticism was that the title of Tyrant didn’t really fit the descriptions given, not enough pain and suffering? But then as a lead-in to a longer story this would be excellent – plenty of scope for atrocities!

And so the scores:

1st Mossy Toes 3pts
2nd Rusk 2pts
TunnelRat68

Postby Rusk » Sat Nov 30, 2013 7:14 pm

Mossy Toes - Doubt

Excellent imagery. Interested in Crull's story, torn in two as to whether it would be worth knowing the outcome; if there was more on Crull I would definitely take a gander, but it works well ending where it does as well. Nice, well controlled little story. If anything, it could do with more information on what happened to the hives when Crull arrived, but the aura of mystery can work too.

Tunnel Rat - Growth of Nothing

Interesting abstract piece. The spread (growth) of the silence, in both waves, is a nice feature, and the writing style is clean and tidy. If I was going to be picky, the 5 segmentum capitals are already named in the lore. And 1 month's silence probably isn't much in the grand scheme of things, considering the nature of warp travel and communication (my 40k knowledge is pretty rusty though). Occasional word repetition and spelling mistakes, nothing a quick reread wouldn't fix.

Votes
1- Doubt (3 points)
2- Growth of Nothing (2 points)
My Fabulous Works:
First Contact - RiaR Savage
Pynewood -2.25k
Desecration - RiaR Desecration
Name - RiaR Pressure
Rusk

Postby LordLucan » Mon Dec 02, 2013 2:46 am

Ok, voting over.

1st Place: Mossy Toes' Doubt, with 6 points.

2nd Place: Joint tie between Rusk and TunnelRat, with 2 points apiece.

Well done Mossy.
Check out my debut fantasy novel from Fox Spirit Books, The Hobgoblin's Herald (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hobgoblins-Herald-R-Aston/dp/1910462047). If you've read it, please rate and review it on amazon; I'd be eternally grateful. The sequel, Eater of Names, is out in 2018, so watch this space.
LordLucan

Postby Rob P » Mon Dec 02, 2013 2:40 pm

Is that technically right?
Rob P

Postby LordLucan » Mon Dec 02, 2013 3:24 pm

Mossy Toes got 3 points from Tunnelrat65 and 3 points from Rusk, giving him 6 points.

Rusk got 2 points from Tunnelrat65

Tunnelrat65 got 2 points from Rusk

Nobody voted for their third place.

I don't know what else to say.

Rob P:What do you mean by the scores not being technically right?
LordLucan

Postby Rusk » Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:44 pm

I think he means this;

"PLEASE NOTE. If you submit a story you are also committing to vote (and the custom here is that you vote for stories other than your own). Stories whose writers have not voted will be disqualified from the competition and their votes will not be counted."

(Am I right?) Doesn't really matter that much, it'll be a bit silly if me and Tunnel Rat win on a tie because Mossy was disqualified and we voted for each other and no-one else commented, won't it? Unless either of you kind gentlefolk would care to cast the deciding vote.
My Fabulous Works:
First Contact - RiaR Savage
Pynewood -2.25k
Desecration - RiaR Desecration
Name - RiaR Pressure
Rusk

Postby LordLucan » Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:40 pm

Oh I see. Missing the rules myself there, my apologies.

Ok, unless you guys are ok with a tie, I can cast the deciding vote later. The choice is yours.
LordLucan

Postby TunnelRat68 » Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:51 pm

A-ha, I see what happened now!

I'm happy to go with the good LordLucan casting the deciding vote.

Cheers TR68
TunnelRat68

Postby Rob P » Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:45 pm

For what it's worth:

Mossy's is the most standard fare of the trio. It's well written and I liked the way the main character was portrayed, but I had niggling doubts that a follower of Nurgle would think the way he does.

Tunnel Rat's was the most interesting for me. It was a good concept. The writing lets it down a bit. There is a lot of unintentional switching between present and past tense.

Husks's was also interesting, but more in format and style than plot. There were some jarring bits (e.g. poor word choices, clunk repetition, not sufficient Imperial-bias) but no less enjoyable.

I would have voted:

1) Mossy
2) Tunnel Rat (though I do think the tense issues drags it down)
3) Husk
Rob P

Postby LordLucan » Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:46 am

Rob seems to have cast the deciding vote in any case.

Congratulations TunnelRat68!

Apologies to all for my previous laxity in the rules.
LordLucan

Postby Mossy Toes » Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:09 am

Arg, didn't get my votes in fast enough. Ah well.
What sphinx of plascrete and adamantium bashed open their skulls and ate up their brains and imagination? Imperator!
Mossy Toes

Return to Board index

Return to Read in a Rush