Praetorian of Dorn

For talking openly about the spoilers from Black Library fiction.

Praetorian of Dorn

Postby Xisor » Fri Oct 21, 2016 8:05 pm

Well. That's that done. Crikey. Who else has read it?

Foremost: I loved the perspective of the novel.

Largely avoiding Primarchs as PoV, heavily avoiding Malcador, good use of flashbacks, plenty about a set of characters who plausibly *don't* have command responsibilities and who, consequently, are free to gallavant about on an adventure.

The story had a greatly different flavour to John's Ahriman works, which was very refreshing and surprising. (And a massive display of skill too, very well done to John!)

There is also the matter of a certain spoiler, but I'm struggling to process it, so shall say nothing.

It was great to read, at length, the Alphas & Fists doing their thing. Personally, I could have tolerated a less convoluted, more vignette-based, expansive novel - but that's not a criticism of what was served.

It'll take a while for me to come up with something deeper. Less poetic than Path of Heaven, and suitably more convoluted than Pharos and Angels of Caliban, this is nevertheless a cracking addition. Riveting, even. I whipped through it, this week.
"When my housemate puts his bike in the middle of the living room floor, I find that inordinately jarring, annoying and rude, but for me to refer to it as "genocide" would be incorrect." -Ath
xisor.wordpress
Xisor's Dice-o-matic Maiminator
Xisor
Site Admin

Re: Praetorian of Dorn

Postby Lord of the Night » Fri Oct 21, 2016 10:08 pm

Xisor wrote:There is also the matter of a certain spoiler, but I'm struggling to process it, so shall say nothing.

The spoiler in question, it's blazingly obvious what you are talking about, didn't affect me as heavily because I genuinely didn't believe that it had actually happened. I kept thinking "there's some other element we aren't aware of," or "there's another player involved we haven't met yet," or "there's something more to this whole plan that we'll only now become aware of."

But the epilogue confirmed it and I didn't know what to think. Still don't. :o :shock:

LotN
http://www.talkwargaming.com/search/lab ... %20Reviews - Black Library Reviews by Lord of the Night@Talk Wargaming
Lord of the Night

Postby David Earle » Sat Oct 22, 2016 4:03 am

It was just so blatantly stupid for REDACTED and I'm not sure what he was thinking. It also screwed up my head canon quite a bit.

Spoiler: Was Alpharius the GOOD one?

I did enjoy the book overall, but... woof.
Check out my blog!

"David is very very old, but also slow, he creeps up behind you without you noticing and then just as his non-breath fails to be felt against your neck he pounces and gives you an informative post." - schaferwhat‽

Ogunzhar lives!
David Earle

Postby Xisor » Sun Oct 23, 2016 2:31 pm

I've a suspicion it might take a very fine re-reading of the text(s) to make that call, David!

Part of me is almost hoping for a

Spoiler: Comic book twist that brings back not Alpharius to Omegon, but Alpharius and Betamax or Gammon or somesuch. I'd love that sort of hydra effect to be in place. (One day someone opens that vault... and it'seems utterly filled with Primarch corpses.)

But it was too shocking. Too well done. So I *don't* want a twist.

Damn it.
"When my housemate puts his bike in the middle of the living room floor, I find that inordinately jarring, annoying and rude, but for me to refer to it as "genocide" would be incorrect." -Ath
xisor.wordpress
Xisor's Dice-o-matic Maiminator
Xisor
Site Admin

Postby You Naughty Monsters » Sun Oct 23, 2016 3:45 pm

*Long time lurker surfacing*

How's this for a theory:

Spoiler: Alpharius fakes his own death in the sol system as a means to deceive Omegon, whom he suspects is going off piste with the original Alpha Legion plan.

Notice as soon as Dorn says "Fire!" when he confronts Alpharius, "Fields snapped into place around Alpharius" and "Alpharius was no where to be seen", but turn the page and "suddenly Alpharius was amongst the killing tide". Bit of smoke and mirrors there. Alpharius disappearing for a minute before his final showdown with Dorn is a bit odd. Perhaps Dorn has been tricked here!
We also saw some mind transference shananigans going on earlier in the novel. If a Legionnaire who thought he was Alpharius (ie had Alpharius's psyche) at this precise point was killed, perhaps Omegon would feel it? Maybe the reader has been tricked here! :twisted:

You Naughty Monsters

Postby Earth127 » Sun Nov 06, 2016 11:14 pm

This book has Dorne really going I am better then you in every way Alpharius

Spoiler: And then making that statement sorta true

Earth127

Postby Fenris » Sat Nov 12, 2016 12:36 am

Well,the way they presented Dorn in the heresy 2.0 is that he's supposed to be the primarch closer to Horus if you consider them all-around on abilities

Nice that they remembered :P
Thrusting his thunder hammer into the sky, he shouted—so that all could hear "Primarch.Progenitor, to your glory!"
"And to the glory of Him on Earth!" his brothers bellowed in response
-
A knight is sworn to valor. His heart knows only virtue. His blade defends the helpless. His word speaks only truth. His wrath undoes the wicked
Fenris

Return to Board index

Return to Spoiler Zone