The End Times (Spoilers for all End Times Books)

For talking openly about the spoilers from Black Library fiction.

The End Times (Spoilers for all End Times Books)

Postby Lord of the Night » Thu Sep 04, 2014 1:07 pm

http://www.heresy-online.net/forums/sho ... stcount=33

Above is a link to a categorized list of all the events in Warhammer: Nagash that I and Words_of_Truth on Heresy have made. Credit goes to WoT for providing us with all this glorious information.

Discuss.

LotN
Last edited by Lord of the Night on Mon Sep 08, 2014 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.talkwargaming.com/search/lab ... %20Reviews - Black Library Reviews by Lord of the Night@Talk Wargaming
Lord of the Night

Re: The End Times

Postby Fenris » Thu Sep 04, 2014 3:18 pm

From his throne in Couronne,Gilles marked the land's malaise,and knew it a harbringer of more perilious times to come.Summoning his heralds,the Sacremor declared an errantry war the scope of which would surpass any before it.The sons of Bretonnia were the most valiant in the world,he decreed.

They would not wait meekly whilst the realm crumbled around them.
The land would be cleansed,the creatures of darkness slaughtered and driven into the ocean.

Bretonnia would ride out once more:for honour,for the king,and for the Lady!

Clichè?
Maybe.

What i needed after 10 years of "Bretonnia,land of idiots"?
Hell yes.

Also,my avatar is as relevant as it could be right now :lol:
Thrusting his thunder hammer into the sky, he shouted—so that all could hear "Primarch.Progenitor, to your glory!"
"And to the glory of Him on Earth!" his brothers bellowed in response
-
A knight is sworn to valor. His heart knows only virtue. His blade defends the helpless. His word speaks only truth. His wrath undoes the wicked
Fenris

Postby Lord of the Night » Thu Sep 04, 2014 3:36 pm

Fenris wrote:Clichè? Maybe.

What I needed after 10 years of "Bretonnia, land of idiots?" Hell yes.

Indeed I can agree. For the first time in a good long while Bretonnia feels relevant to the wider setting and actually interesting.

It's the same for me with the Skaven. For ages they've achieved nothing of note, and now they've conquered and enslaved two countries and are in the process of conquering a third.

All the factions will get a chance to shine now that the status quo does not need to be maintained anymore.

LotN
http://www.talkwargaming.com/search/lab ... %20Reviews - Black Library Reviews by Lord of the Night@Talk Wargaming
Lord of the Night

Postby Athelassan » Sat Sep 06, 2014 12:21 am

Lord of the Night wrote:All the factions will get a chance to shine now that the status quo does not need to be maintained anymore.

Apart from Kislev, Tilea, Estalia, and - in all likelihood - the Empire, of course.

Ath
Athelassan

Postby Fenris » Sat Sep 06, 2014 4:24 pm

The amount of quotable one-liners in the books is out of scale :mrgreen:

Also,i slowly realized what ET:N reminds me of

5th edition books.With all the little novel-like stories vowen in the more "standard" armybook narrative.
I still can quote the ending of one of the bretonnian ones 16 years later by memory,and they were a huge part of what made me pick the army

So seeing them again back in full force (Nagash VS Settra/commando Karl Franz/the interaction between Vlad and Gelt/Arkhan and Kemmler just to name a few)...Yeah,i'm happy about it.
Thrusting his thunder hammer into the sky, he shouted—so that all could hear "Primarch.Progenitor, to your glory!"
-
A knight is sworn to valor. His heart knows only virtue. His blade defends the helpless. His word speaks only truth. His wrath undoes the wicked
Fenris

Postby Athelassan » Sat Sep 06, 2014 4:59 pm

Fenris wrote:commando Karl Franz

I am reminded of the giant statue of Sigmar from The Ibby the Fish Factor. The one with "Sigmar's Holy Hammer".

Ath
Athelassan

Postby Lord of the Night » Sat Sep 06, 2014 5:07 pm

Athelassan wrote:Apart from Kislev, Tilea, Estalia, and - in all likelihood - the Empire, of course.

Ath

Kislev could still shine, the state may have broken apart but some of it's armies are still fighting. In fact the book specifically says they are fighting now just so that Chaos can't get into the Empire, the Kislevites have lost so now they are trying to make sure the Empire doesn't lose too. Pretty damn heroic.

Tilea and Estalia... who cares. They never really did anything important.

The Empire shines quite a bit in the book. Several powerful Chaos Lords are dead by it's hand, important Daemons have been banished and the Empire's champions are gathering together. They've taken losses yes, but they are still standing.

LotN
Lord of the Night

Postby Athelassan » Sat Sep 06, 2014 6:39 pm

Lord of the Night wrote:Tilea and Estalia... who cares. They never really did anything important.

:| :? :roll:
Athelassan

Postby Lord of the Night » Sat Sep 06, 2014 6:41 pm

Athelassan wrote:
Lord of the Night wrote:Tilea and Estalia... who cares. They never really did anything important.

Care to correct me rather than offer smilies?? I admit I don't know a great deal about Tilea and Estalia beyond them being the Warhammer version of Italy and that they are practically on the Skaven's doorstep. If they are more important than I think they are, i'd be interested in that lore.

LotN
Lord of the Night

Postby Fenris » Sat Sep 06, 2014 6:57 pm

Lord of the Night wrote:
Athelassan wrote:

Care to correct me rather than offer smilies?? I admit I don't know a great deal about Tilea and Estalia beyond them being the Warhammer version of Italy and that they are practically on the Skaven's doorstep. If they are more important than I think they are, i'd be interested in that lore.

LotN

Estalia was warhammer Spain (invaded by warhammer arabs and then freed),Tilea was warhammer Italy (lots of warring city states,lots of mercenaries...).

Most of the places are closely inspired by real ones for both

Speaking as an italian,most of the tilean cities are easy to see as expy of real ones or as a mix of real ones....Same for the human regiments of renown and some huge parts of the history of the place;as a trio of examples,Luccini is clearly Rome,Leonardo from Miragliano is clearly Leonardo da Vinci and Braganza's besiegers are Genoa's crossbowmen (and living in Genoa myself,not picking up some of them when they were still avaiable is one of my warhammer failures :lol: )

They never actually did anything with Estalia as far as tabletop background goes but mention Bretonnia and the Empire coming to the rescue in a unified crusade (that errantry war is actually a pretty important event in the bretonnian timeline and also led to the birth of the Border Princes...And the empire got the Knights of the Blazing sun out of its intervention)

Tilea got something more thanks to the Dogs of War armybook in late 5th edition

There was more on them in the various RPG incarnations and the rest of the "expanded" lore of the world (but i don't actually know how deeper the informations went since i know most of it second-hand)

So,if you look at it from "common known background" point of view,nothing much was lost with them (and the border princes....No one remember the skavens are eating those too....) indeed.

On the other hand,i understand not wanting to see them go like this and i share the sadness (while enjoying the new developments...Contradiction?Well,maybe...)
-
Fenris

Postby Xisor » Sat Sep 06, 2014 9:14 pm

Lord of the Night wrote:Care to correct me rather than offer smilies?? I admit I don't know

So it's not so much correction as it is instructing/informing/educating, is it?
"When my housemate puts his bike in the middle of the living room floor, I find that inordinately jarring, annoying and rude, but for me to refer to it as "genocide" would be incorrect." -Ath
xisor.wordpress
Xisor's Dice-o-matic Maiminator
Xisor
Site Admin

Postby Athelassan » Sun Sep 07, 2014 12:18 am

The smileys were less a comment about the content of the comment than an expression of disappointment about the attitude which appeared to inform it.

To whit, a setting needs "unimportant" stuff as well as "important" stuff. Not everything can be foreground. If you consider the setting as a piece of music, you need quiet bits and slow passages for the loud and frenetic stuff to contrast against. If it's all dynamic range compression turned up to eleven, it pretty quickly becomes so much noise.

Rubbing out stuff from the background because "eh, nothing important's ever happened there" is a quick way to turn a setting that feels real, lived-in and expansive into one that feels small and main-character-centric.

In any case, in background terms, Tilea is actually reasonably important as a historic setting in Warhammer. It's an older civilisation than the Empire, it and Estalia together have a higher population, and Tileans were responsible for, among other things, the discovery of Lustria by Old Worlders and establishing a route to Cathay. See also Fenris's post. They haven't gone into a lot of detail on Estalia, and haven't visited Tilea for a while (although in the grand scheme of things not much longer than they haven't visited Bretonnia for) but that stuff's still "there".

Xisor wrote:So it's not so much correction as it is instructing/informing/educating, is it?

Le BBC, c'est moi.

Ath
Athelassan

Postby Lord of the Night » Sun Sep 07, 2014 10:45 am

Athelassan wrote:The smileys were less a comment about the content of the comment than an expression of disappointment about the attitude which appeared to inform it.

Ath

Ah, well fair enough there. I do agree that background is needed just as the foreground is, as you said, but ultimately it does mean that the background, in this case Tilea and Estalia, isn't as important as the Empire. Thus why the writers have allowed the Skaven to conquer them, it shows how serious the threat of them to the world at large is while at the same time not lessening the more important factions by having the Skaven conquer bits of them. Tilea and Estalia are good background yes, but they are background which means that in the End Times they become a little superfluous, so now their destruction is being used to further the story. They have a role to play (in the writer's narrative), not a good one for them but a role allthe same.

LotN
Lord of the Night

Postby David Earle » Sun Sep 07, 2014 8:51 pm

Is this a place for Return of Nagash spoilers or do we want a new thread?
Check out my blog!

"David is very very old, but also slow, he creeps up behind you without you noticing and then just as his non-breath fails to be felt against your neck he pounces and gives you an informative post." - schaferwhat‽

Ogunzhar lives!
David Earle

Postby Lord of the Night » Mon Sep 08, 2014 7:55 am

David Earle wrote:Is this a place for Return of Nagash spoilers or do we want a new thread?

Anything related to the End Times can go here.

LotN
Lord of the Night

Postby Athelassan » Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:06 am

So long as it's clear in the title that there will/may be Return of Nagash spoilers they're fine here.
Athelassan

Re: The End Times (Spoilers for all End Times Books)

Postby Fenris » Tue Sep 09, 2014 6:50 pm

Arkhan the black is the new terminator of the setting

By himself he has around 1/3 to half of all the confirmed kills on named/famous characters in ET:N (even more than Nagash :lol: )
-
Fenris

Postby sam vimes » Fri Sep 12, 2014 5:08 pm

Wonder what Malekiths end goal is beyond the obvious Ulthuan?
"Huron-Fal’s systems were on the verge of shutdown ... ‘This death,’ rasped the voder, ‘this death is ours. We choose it. We deny you your victory.’

"Abandon your fear. Look forward. Move forward and never stop. You'll age if you pull back. You'll die if you hesitate."

"From iron cometh strength. From strength cometh will. From will cometh faith. From faith cometh honour. From honour cometh iron." "And may it ever be so"
[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
sam vimes

Postby Athelassan » Fri Sep 12, 2014 5:21 pm

sam vimes wrote:Wonder what Malekiths end goal is beyond the obvious Ulthuan?

If they've been paying attention to William King (who, after all, created the character), he wants to restore his status as a great elven hero, leading their armies across the world to regain their former glory and sweep the world clean of their enemies, etc.

To be fair, with Malekith, his motives have mostly been at worst neutral-ish. His methods... not so much. He'd probably do well in the 40K Inquisition.

Ath
Athelassan

Postby sam vimes » Fri Sep 12, 2014 5:29 pm

Honsetly, do you think he might be able to re-deem himself? I and this may seem fan boyish think he might just have a shot at it considering how much the world seems to be going down the toilet and well in terms of 'living' beings not many have stayed around and a consistent threat to the extent Malekith has imo, hmm wonder how Naggaroth is dealing with all the uproar as the Dark Elves are quite numerous and are still very war like going from Mike and Dan's books the rotate there regiments between the watch towers so they can be blooded and become experienced veterans.
"Huron-Fal’s systems were on the verge of shutdown ... ‘This death,’ rasped the voder, ‘this death is ours. We choose it. We deny you your victory.’

"Abandon your fear. Look forward. Move forward and never stop. You'll age if you pull back. You'll die if you hesitate."

"From iron cometh strength. From strength cometh will. From will cometh faith. From faith cometh honour. From honour cometh iron." "And may it ever be so"
[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
sam vimes

Next

Return to Board index

Return to Spoiler Zone