Macharius series

For talking openly about the spoilers from Black Library fiction.

Macharius series

Postby Gaius Marius » Tue May 21, 2013 1:20 pm

So, who else has been reading the Macharius series? Personally, I'm finding it very enjoyable, although the diction can sometimes throw me off.
Space Cowboy, Spartan II, Specter, Reclusiarch

'I see the fear you have inside.'
Gaius Marius

Re: Macharius series

Postby shadowhawk2008 » Tue May 21, 2013 2:16 pm

Gaius Marius wrote:So, who else has been reading the Macharius series? Personally, I'm finding it very enjoyable, although the diction can sometimes throw me off.

Read the first one last year and loved it. William King is definitely among my favourite SFF writers. Angel of Fire is a case of "outsider perspective" being done right and proper, unlike some other BL novel I could name (oooh, controversial opinion!).
Shadowhawk's Shade My 40k/writing/review blog. You can check out all my reviews here.

My current fiction projects - Veergati: The Scarlet Records, an Indian space opera inspired by Star Trek.
shadowhawk2008

Location: Battle-barge Spear of Lycaeus of the Angels of Retribution

Postby Liliedhe » Tue May 21, 2013 3:40 pm

I'm halfway into the second one. Not overly thrilled, it's good, just not really floating my boat that much. I wouldn't have gotten the second book if it had not mentioned the magic P-word in the summary. Which meant my curiosity was not going to allow me to stay away ^^

The first book had several very great scenes, and some slog. And then it strikes me that the Death Spectres unfortunately are completely totally different from the DS in Deathwatch, which is jarring. Cultural differences could be blamed on time/company tradition whatever. But there is a black skinned Death Spectre in Angel of Fire, and in DW it's said they are all albinos. That can't be explained away.
"You were a warleader, a fighter, when did you gain such illuminating insight into the minds of others?"
"I learned such things as you and your brothers applied brand to my flesh and parted skin with rasp and knife," snarled Astelan. "When your witches tried to prise open my mind they opened me for an instant and I stared back."
Liliedhe

Postby Malcador » Sun Jun 07, 2015 5:40 pm

I just read the whole thing, nearly cried in the bus in Bulgaria I was riding when Macharius died. Or was that just me?

At least Macharius will be acknowledged as victorious on Loki.

Great read.
If you can't lower Heaven, RAISE HELL!
Malcador

Return to Board index

Return to Spoiler Zone