Priests of Mars

For talking openly about the spoilers from Black Library fiction.

Priests of Mars

Postby groovysl » Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:42 pm

Just started PoM, one name from the Dramatis Personae struck a chord, Karyn Sylkwood. Is there going to be a plot connection to Silkwood?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karen_Silkwood
groovysl

Re: Priests of Mars

Postby Lord of the Night » Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:50 am

Karyn Sylkwood is an Enginseer and a minor character.

Spoiler: She spends most of the novel off-screen and only appears a few times, either to fix something or to flirt with male Tech-Priests.

LotN
http://www.talkwargaming.com/search/lab ... %20Reviews - Black Library Reviews by Lord of the Night@Talk Wargaming
Lord of the Night

Postby groovysl » Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:06 pm

There's a song sung which is a song of the five hundred worlds, referencing Calth's former glories. Which seems to suggest that "normal" citizens of Ultramar remember the five hundred worlds.
groovysl

Postby Lord of the Night » Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:43 pm

groovysl wrote:There's a song sung which is a song of the five hundred worlds, referencing Calth's former glories. Which seems to suggest that "normal" citizens of Ultramar remember the five hundred worlds.

Likely so, its not the type of thing that people forget. The reason its not mentioned a lot is likely that its an unwelcome reminder of the lost glory of Ultramar, and an Ultramarian would not want to talk about it.

LotN
http://www.talkwargaming.com/search/lab ... %20Reviews - Black Library Reviews by Lord of the Night@Talk Wargaming
Lord of the Night

Postby MalkyDel » Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:31 pm

I just started this today; have to say I'm really enjoying it. On a side note; The Ironwoad is a really really awesome title :D
MalkavianDelirium

<3 Fan of Erebus <3

Then one day at Istvaan III,
Horus came to say.
"Fulgrim with your clothes so bright,
won't you help me slay tonight?"
Then all the rebels loved him
And they shouted out with glee.
"Fulgrim the Traitor Primarch,
you'll go down in history!"
MalkyDel

Postby Lord of the Night » Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:01 pm

MalkyDel wrote:I just started this today; have to say I'm really enjoying it. On a side note; The Ironwoad is a really really awesome title :D

I prefer the title of The Wintersun. :D

LotN
Lord of the Night

Postby MalkyDel » Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:41 pm

Wintersun and Moonsorrow get me caught up in band-remembrance :P
MalkavianDelirium

<3 Fan of Erebus <3

Horus came to say.
MalkyDel

Postby MalkyDel » Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:49 am

And the musical theme continues with Wrathchild and Moonchild; both Iron Maiden references. Bonus reference points for them being scorched wrecks recovered by the Mechanicus off the shoulder of Orion ;)
MalkavianDelirium

<3 Fan of Erebus <3

Horus came to say.
MalkyDel

Postby Lord of the Night » Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:36 am

Oh they are a reference? I didn't get that since I don't really listen to music.

LotN
Lord of the Night

Postby MalkyDel » Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:16 pm

Aw :P
MalkavianDelirium

<3 Fan of Erebus <3

Horus came to say.
MalkyDel

Postby Liliedhe » Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:24 pm

MalkyDel wrote:And the musical theme continues with Wrathchild and Moonchild; both Iron Maiden references. Bonus reference points for them being scorched wrecks recovered by the Mechanicus off the shoulder of Orion ;)

And, do they pass through Tannhauser Gate?
"You were a warleader, a fighter, when did you gain such illuminating insight into the minds of others?"
"I learned such things as you and your brothers applied brand to my flesh and parted skin with rasp and knife," snarled Astelan. "When your witches tried to prise open my mind they opened me for an instant and I stared back."
Liliedhe

Postby Liliedhe » Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:48 am

And I am done. It was really interesting towards the end... Best of all was this nugget:

Speranza wrote:That is but the most recent of my names. I have had many in my long life. Akasha, Kaban, Beirurium, Veda, Grammaticus, Yggdrasil, Providentia... a thousand times a thousand more in all the long aeons I have

I am trying to make sense of this.

Akasha echoes of course the Akashic Reader from Mechanicum.
Kaban hints at the Kaban project (I definitely need to read this shortstory)
Grammaticus... Well there is John Grammaticus, the most annoying character of the Heresy, but why should his name appear here? Is this a hint that Johnny and his brethren are artificial lifeforms?
Yggdrasil is the world tree of Nordic myth, but I am not aware if it has a specific meaning in the 40k context... Or is it merely a shout out to this: http://digimon.wikia.com/wiki/Yggdrasill
Providentia sounds like a shout out, but I cant place it.
"You were a warleader, a fighter, when did you gain such illuminating insight into the minds of others?"
"I learned such things as you and your brothers applied brand to my flesh and parted skin with rasp and knife," snarled Astelan. "When your witches tried to prise open my mind they opened me for an instant and I stared back."
Liliedhe

Postby sam vimes » Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:49 am

Whats up with Johnny boy? I find him pretty cool and he makes me laugh and yes lil you defiantly need to read the Kaban Project if you can pick up Collected Visions for cheap you get a cracking read and a mighty boat load of pretty pictures.
"Huron-Fal’s systems were on the verge of shutdown ... ‘This death,’ rasped the voder, ‘this death is ours. We choose it. We deny you your victory.’

"Abandon your fear. Look forward. Move forward and never stop. You'll age if you pull back. You'll die if you hesitate."

"From iron cometh strength. From strength cometh will. From will cometh faith. From faith cometh honour. From honour cometh iron." "And may it ever be so"
[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
sam vimes

Postby Liliedhe » Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:54 am

It will be in Shadows of Treachery and I will get it then.

I do not want to buy Collective Visions because of spoilers, I want the HH to unfold in the books without knowing what should happen.
Liliedhe

Postby sam vimes » Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:35 pm

Fair enough I'm glad thier re-printing the Kaban Project really good short.
"Huron-Fal’s systems were on the verge of shutdown ... ‘This death,’ rasped the voder, ‘this death is ours. We choose it. We deny you your victory.’

"Abandon your fear. Look forward. Move forward and never stop. You'll age if you pull back. You'll die if you hesitate."

"From iron cometh strength. From strength cometh will. From will cometh faith. From faith cometh honour. From honour cometh iron." "And may it ever be so"
[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
sam vimes

Postby Lord of the Night » Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:51 pm

Liliedhe wrote:And I am done. It was really interesting towards the end... Best of all was this nugget:

Speranza wrote:That is but the most recent of my names. I have had many in my long life. Akasha, Kaban, Beirurium, Veda, Grammaticus, Yggdrasil, Providentia... a thousand times a thousand more in all the long aeons I have

I am trying to make sense of this.

Akasha echoes of course the Akashic Reader from Mechanicum.
Kaban hints at the Kaban project (I definitely need to read this shortstory)
Grammaticus... Well there is John Grammaticus, the most annoying character of the Heresy, but why should his name appear here? Is this a hint that Johnny and his brethren are artificial lifeforms?
Yggdrasil is the world tree of Nordic myth, but I am not aware if it has a specific meaning in the 40k context... Or is it merely a shout out to this: http://digimon.wikia.com/wiki/Yggdrasill
Providentia sounds like a shout out, but I cant place it.

I think its less about the names having actual meaning in 40k and more that the Speranza has been around since before the Emperor and each of these is another life, filled with glorious deeds. Its a real shame that this will likely be its last voyage.

LotN
Lord of the Night

Postby Xisor » Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:19 am

Lil', you're a forumite after my own heart!

I was musing on that list as I read it too. Grammy is, arguably, a Perpetual. Totha Mu-32 is surely a relation of everyone's favourite Horus Heresy Japemaster General Rho Mu-32. The trouble of Grammy & Mu-32 is: they relate to the Emperor.

The Akashic ties to the Emperor, so too does the arco-flagellant's golden throne & golden eyes - is he a successor of Daliah's? Is this all a 'mere' continuation of the epilogue of "Mechanicum"?

The Kaban indicates thinking machine. My absolute belief is that Graham missed a trick at the end of "Mechanicum": The Kaban Machine (Khornate AI) should have become the Guardian, not Rho Mu-32 & Daliah. Much more elaborate & odd.

Anyway, what is Spenanza in light of all this? My thoughts were:
1- An 'outcome' of Zouche & Caxton theiveing the book.
2- A thinking machine a-la the Castigator of 'Dark Adeptus'
3- A bearer for a shard of the Dragon
4- Both a tombship and a tech-relic
5- A vessel of the Emperor's Will

Is it possible then that the Spenanza is, almost literally, a god-machine in close communion with the gestalt, 40k-era essence of the Emperor? Hence Grammy, Kaban etc etc?

-

Other thoughts

'Here be dragons' - my suspicion is that the Halo Scar is the result of C'tan feasting on stars, thus 'reducing' their age artificially and causing the shenanigans seen in the book.

Azuramagelli is cool as hell. Galatea, similarly, was extremely well realised.

Surcouf's a fraud!?

Is there room for a Vaul vs Omnissiah vs Khaine vs God-Emperor vs Dragon showdown?

The dinner scene was wonderful. I could've happily read an entire novel composed entirely from that scene.

My only real complaint about the book is the plasma-destructor-shot moment. I mean, sure, it was awesome. Really very well done. But also *utterly stupid*. Who allows T :lol: itans to be active during warp transit? Wha!?!

The book, broadly speaking, was excellent for my tastes. A nice breadth of characters, a wonderful array of set-pieces and soap-operatic sequences that were sheer joy to read & muse on.

If Graham ever wanted to right ambling, go-nowhere-in-particular short stories, I could read dozens of 'mundane adventures' aboard the Spenanza.

Also, Graham used the words 'numinous' and 'apophenia', he earns a second pint from me.
:lol:

Not a perfect novel, but exceptionally decent nevertheless. Kudos, McNeill!
"When my housemate puts his bike in the middle of the living room floor, I find that inordinately jarring, annoying and rude, but for me to refer to it as "genocide" would be incorrect." -Ath
xisor.wordpress
Xisor's Dice-o-matic Maiminator
Xisor
Site Admin

Postby Liliedhe » Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:31 am

LOL Now, you are wearing your tinfoil hat again. :P

But given how elaborately McNeill chooses his names, I really, really do not believe this list is just a list. ^^

You may well be right that all of this is tying into the end of Mechanicum, but that one went pretty much over my head. :P I am just remembering that the Kaban Project tied somehow to Horus...
Liliedhe

Postby Vivia » Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:34 am

Graham McNeill at his best? Everything is forgiven? Yay,Priest of Mars is going on my wishlist.
There is nothing gay about the Princeton fight song. "Oh, the men of Princeton are charging up the rear, holding all the balls..." Okay, I hear it now. – Jack, episode Queen of Jordan
Vivia

Postby Xisor » Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:04 pm

If memory servesl The Kaban Project had similarity to the siege engines in "Fallen Angels", supposedly an illicit/odd project sanctioned by the then loyal Warmaster. Perhaps, however, it wasn't really? Perhaps it was forces within his domain who were already in league with the Lodge styles. Erebus and Abaddon (like Typhon) could have been laying such plans and precautionary contingencies long before Davin. The Kaban Project's damn cool, actually. It's a neat wee story, another highlight of Graham's skill.

Again, the Kaban Machine really should've been guardian.

I wonder if there's any tie to 'Titanicus' in the references. If memory serves, there was a substantial overlap betwixt it and "Mechanicum".

There were some astoundingly decent sequences in the book, actually. The more I think on it, the more impressed I am withem: Graham's greatest moment, for me, has always been his nova cannon sequence in "Warriors of Ultramar", I think PoM rivals that in a good few places.

As for the Sylkwood reference: I didn't notice any overt reference beyond the name, but I might've missed something.

Surcouf's first name made me smile heartily too: we don't see enough of that in 40k. Lots of refernces to Apostasy-era too, Thor-this and Gathalamor-that.
"When my housemate puts his bike in the middle of the living room floor, I find that inordinately jarring, annoying and rude, but for me to refer to it as "genocide" would be incorrect." -Ath
xisor.wordpress
Xisor's Dice-o-matic Maiminator
Xisor
Site Admin

Next

Return to Board index

Return to Spoiler Zone