DOW Blood Ravens review

For talking openly about the spoilers from Black Library fiction.

Re: DOW Blood Ravens review

Postby Vivia » Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:17 pm

One channel has all the story of DoW 2, not the game, and the story of rest of the games.
http://www.youtube.com/user/BigDickCheney?feature=watch
Quite interesting, almost like watching a teleplay, it's just talk with a nice soundtrack. Bickering BR. There are 81 video clips, and that's one game. :)
There is nothing gay about the Princeton fight song. "Oh, the men of Princeton are charging up the rear, holding all the balls..." Okay, I hear it now. – Jack, episode Queen of Jordan
Vivia

Postby Liliedhe » Sat May 04, 2013 11:40 am

During the recent Tales from the Archive, a Blood Ravens Story was made available by BL:

Altar of Cyrene by Lucien Soulban. It's a story that was originally published in Inferno Magazine and it tells the story of the destruction of Cyrene by order of Gabriel Angelos. What makes it interesting is that the author of this story also wrote the story of the game - so one can assume this is what he had in mind when Gabe agonises over the whole thing later on.

There are some differences between this story and the novelisation of the game - namely that Isador is not a native of Cyrene here. Instead it is said that he was raised in a monastery to learn his powers and that he "never had a home". The story does give a good portrayal of both Gabe's and Izzy's character, though. There isn't much difference between Gabe here and Gabe in the Goto books - the same egotistical monomania is evident in both.

A friend (who is reading ATS right now) said that "making flawed decisions" is what the TS gene curse is, really, not the flesh change^^. Looking at this story, I'd say he is right.

There is also a very unique moment, as Gabriel meets his father. His biological father. I think that is the only time I ever saw such an encounter in a 40K or HH novel or story. The encounter ends as well as can be expected, given the subject matter of the tale. :twisted:

Gabriel really likes to use a bolt pistol to absolve himself of his doubts. Ey, Izzy?
"You were a warleader, a fighter, when did you gain such illuminating insight into the minds of others?"
"I learned such things as you and your brothers applied brand to my flesh and parted skin with rasp and knife," snarled Astelan. "When your witches tried to prise open my mind they opened me for an instant and I stared back."
Liliedhe

Postby emeryt » Sat May 04, 2013 1:18 pm

Liliedhe wrote:There is also a very unique moment, as Gabriel meets his father. His biological father. I think that is the only time I ever saw such an encounter in a 40K or HH novel or story.
try Night Lords trilogy ;)
emeryt

Postby Liliedhe » Sat May 04, 2013 1:21 pm

Hm, yes, but Talos doesn't know it's his mother, until long after the fact.
"You were a warleader, a fighter, when did you gain such illuminating insight into the minds of others?"
"I learned such things as you and your brothers applied brand to my flesh and parted skin with rasp and knife," snarled Astelan. "When your witches tried to prise open my mind they opened me for an instant and I stared back."
Liliedhe

Postby Phoebus » Sat May 04, 2013 1:37 pm

FIve hours after the fact, at any rate.
"And where is the prince who can afford so to cover his country with troops for its defense as that ten thousand men descending from the clouds might not in many places do an infinite deal of mischief before a force could be brought together to repel them?"
-- Benjamin Franklin
Phoebus

Postby Bellarius » Sat May 04, 2013 11:57 pm

It also stuck with the idea that space marines had to be recruited at a young age. Not that veteran imperial guardsmen and stormtrooper officers could quite happily become astartes with no problems.

And loyalists in that series weren't happy to have heavily, and very obviously, mutated new recruits as a part of their ranks.
The Good the Bad and the Insulting
Daily thoughts, reviews and news of films, novels video games and tabletop games.
Bellarius

Postby shadowhawk2008 » Sun May 05, 2013 11:17 am

Neither Gabriel Angelos nor his psyker friend were officers. They were rank and file PDF troopers. The same as Trooper Ckrius from the first book.
Shadowhawk's Shade My 40k/writing/review blog. You can check out all my reviews here.

My current fiction projects - Veergati: The Scarlet Records, an Indian space opera inspired by Star Trek.
shadowhawk2008

Location: Battle-barge Spear of Lycaeus of the Angels of Retribution

Postby Liliedhe » Sun May 05, 2013 11:23 am

And yeah, that was a mistake in the first book - although it was kinda ... reduced, by mentioning they were still only 14 or 15.

Although the short story mentions nothing about what Gabe was before he got recruited. They must have been important, though, otherwise his father wouldn't have access to that sort of rejuvenat treatment.
Liliedhe

Postby Bellarius » Sun May 05, 2013 12:30 pm

Still somewhat old for conversion to a space marine. Well outside what it is in the majority of books save possibly the Space Wolf saga, and that series always played fast and loose with established lore.
Perhaps we can hope the short story was supposed to retcon one of Goto's many failures.
Daily thoughts, reviews and news of films, novels video games and tabletop games.
Bellarius

Postby Phoebus » Sun May 05, 2013 3:48 pm

Ragnar Blackmane and his buddies were of the right age in the original Space Wolf novel. :)
"And where is the prince who can afford so to cover his country with troops for its defense as that ten thousand men descending from the clouds might not in many places do an infinite deal of mischief before a force could be brought together to repel them?"
-- Benjamin Franklin
Phoebus

Postby Bellarius » Sun May 05, 2013 4:51 pm

Phoebus wrote:Ragnar Blackmane and his buddies were of the right age in the original Space Wolf novel. :)

May I ask where it states their age and confirms they were right for recruitment? The general impression I got, admittedly going from memory, was that they were at least in their mid to late teens.
Bellarius

Postby Phoebus » Mon May 06, 2013 5:19 am

You're right, 'Space Wolf' doesn't qualify Ragnar's age when he was picked up. All it says is that he and his friends were on the verge of going from boys to men and were just starting to grow facial hair. It's open to interpretation, I suppose, but the success rate of his class has to count for something.
-- Benjamin Franklin
Phoebus

Postby Liliedhe » Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:27 pm

*casts raise thread AGAIN*

Ok, I can't give the Blood Ravens a rest. Recently, I watched complete playthroughs of both Chaos Rising and Retribution on youtube. Then, I played around on the DoW wiki and was stunned to see that Cyrus only shows up for the first time in DoW II. I could have sworn he was in the books...

So, I dug them up and made a rather weird discovery. No, Cyrus is not in the Goto Trilogy. But there is a Scout Sergeant named Caleb, and he is basically Cyrus. But that's not all: Father Jonas Urelie, the Librarian, not only has a name that is suspiciously similar to Jonah Orion, but if you substitute his backstory for Jonah's, suddenly the fact he looks so much older than Izzy makes sense. Because Jonas is old and basically in retirement. Their personality, their relationship to Gabe etc are rather suspiciously similar, too. Oh, and then there is Tanthius, who is Tarkus in Terminator armour.

Now, one might think that Goto 'got inspired' by the characters from the game and put them in his books. Except, DoW: Ascension was published four years before DoW II came out. Did Relic want to use the characters and didn't get the rights? Or did they not even try? It's definitely weird.
Liliedhe

Postby shadowhawk2008 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:31 pm

Interesting, very interesting...
Shadowhawk's Shade My 40k/writing/review blog. You can check out all my reviews here.

My current fiction projects - Veergati: The Scarlet Records, an Indian space opera inspired by Star Trek.
shadowhawk2008

Location: Battle-barge Spear of Lycaeus of the Angels of Retribution

Previous

Return to Board index

Return to Spoiler Zone