Most memorable quotes

For talking openly about the spoilers from Black Library fiction.

Re: Most memorable quotes

Postby David Earle » Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:28 pm

"Thank you so much for doing absolutely nothing while the little bastard was stabbing me," he called out angrily. - Nyos Yllithian, Path of the Incubus
Check out my blog!

"David is very very old, but also slow, he creeps up behind you without you noticing and then just as his non-breath fails to be felt against your neck he pounces and gives you an informative post." - schaferwhat‽

Ogunzhar lives!
David Earle

Postby Jim Shady » Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:11 pm

Kal_Ryper wrote:Read this many moons ago but this quote still sticks in my head. Love the last line.

Prospero Burns - p. 331 wrote:'I speak metaphorically, my lord,' he said.
Russ nodded, still amused.
'That's all right, Constantin. Sometimes I dismember metaphorically.'

Gotta love Russ :D
Ah me lads, ye shud only seen us gannin',
We pass'd the foaks upon the road just as they wor stannin';
Thor wes lots o' lads an' lasses there, all wi' smiling faces,
Gawn alang the Scotswood Road, to see the Blaydon Races
Jim Shady

Postby David Earle » Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:10 pm

Sardon wrung her hands in dismay. "You're letting them go? They'll be killed!"

"No. Stop. Don't go in there. You'll all be killed," Motley murmured sardonically. - Path of the Incubus
Check out my blog!

"David is very very old, but also slow, he creeps up behind you without you noticing and then just as his non-breath fails to be felt against your neck he pounces and gives you an informative post." - schaferwhat‽

Ogunzhar lives!
David Earle

Postby Pyroriffic » Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:47 am

David Earle wrote:Sardon wrung her hands in dismay. "You're letting them go? They'll be killed!"

"No. Stop. Don't go in there. You'll all be killed," Motley murmured sardonically. - Path of the Incubus

Someone channelling Gene Wilder as Willy Wonka, maybe...

'No, stop, don't...'
I reject your reality and substitute it with my own.
Pyroriffic

Postby sam vimes » Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:53 pm

They shall be my finest warriors, these men who give of themselves to me. Like clay I shall mould them, and in the furnace of war forge them. They will be of iron will and steely muscle. In great armour shall I clad them and with the mightiest guns will they be armed. They will be untouched by plague or disease, no sickness will blight them. They will have tactics, strategies and machines so that no foe can best them in battle. They are my bulwark against the Terror. They are the Defenders of Humanity. They are my Space Marines and they shall know no fear.
--The Emperor of Mankind on the creation of the Space Marines
"Huron-Fal’s systems were on the verge of shutdown ... ‘This death,’ rasped the voder, ‘this death is ours. We choose it. We deny you your victory.’

"Abandon your fear. Look forward. Move forward and never stop. You'll age if you pull back. You'll die if you hesitate."

"From iron cometh strength. From strength cometh will. From will cometh faith. From faith cometh honour. From honour cometh iron." "And may it ever be so"
[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
sam vimes

Postby Athelassan » Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:36 pm

An old one, but a good one. From Comeback Tour (Black Flame edition, although I don't think there were any changes in the reprint). Lead-in added (omitting some of the longer interceding paragraphs) for context:

"Krokodil, what's this about?"

He picked up the guitar, gently disentangling it from Shiba's mouth, and slung the shoulder strap around him.

"Down there, they're using black magic and blacker science to gain control of a powerful weapon. They're trying to take over the sky."

The Op looked appalled. He was almost unconsciously tuning the instrument, tightening keys and twanging strings. She could feel the power gathering even in such flawed and negligible notes. 'Ti-Mouche had been right. The girl from the bunker was right. This was magic.

"The sky?" Elvis asked. "That can't be. Why... like the man said... the sky..."

"...BELONGS..."

"...TO THE STARS!"
Athelassan

Postby Lord of the Night » Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:10 pm

These two speeches simply must be said, for they are among my favourite quotes ever.

The Major wrote:"My friends, it has often been said that I like war.

My friends, I like war... No, friends, I love war! I love holocausts. I love blitzkriegs. I love defensive lines. I love sieges, charges, I love mop-up operations, and retreats.

Wars across prairies, in streets, in trenches, in grasslands, in frozen tundras, through deserts, on the sea, in the air, I love every act of war that can occur upon this earth.

I love blasting the enemy to smithereens with artillery salvos that thunder across the lines of battle. My heart leaps with joy whenever a soldier is tossed high into the air and cut to pieces by well placed sniper rounds. And there is nothing like a tank operator using a Tiger 88 to destroy enemy tanks. And the feeling that comes when a soldier runs screaming from his blazing tank only to be mowed down by heavy machine gun fire, is such an exquisite feeling.

Like when ranks of infantry brandish their bayonets rushing into the enemy line. It moves me deep within my heart to watch a fresh recruit stabbing over and over into the bloated chest of a long-dead enemy.

The sight of deserters being strung up from a street lamp is an irresistible pleasure. And there is nothing more arousing, than the sounds made by prisoners of war dropping like flies, screaming in agony as they're mowed down by ear piercing schmeissers!

When a band of pitiful resistance fighters makes their final stand with nothing but small arms, only to have their city smashed to atoms block by block by 4.8 ton bombshells, I'm in ecstasy.

I love it when my forces are ravaged by a Russian armored division. It's so sad to see towns and villages that were supposed to be defended at all costs, being laid to waste, their women and children being raped, and killed.

I love to be squashed under the heel of the British and American war machines. The humiliation, as my men crawl around like vermin, ducking the jagdbombers flying overhead.

Gentlemen... All I ask for is war, a war so grand as to make Hell itself tremble. Gentlemen, I ask you as fellow brothers in arms, what is it that you really want? Do you wish for further war as I do? Do you wish for a merciless, bloody war? A war whose fury is built with iron, and lightning, and fire? Do you ask for war to sweep in like a tempest, leaving not even ravens to scavenge, from this Earth!?

(Soldiers answer in the affirmative)

Very well. Then krieg is what you shall have. We are a clenched fist, ready to strike down all who oppose us, with our might. But... After enduring over half a century wallowing in the darkness, for us, a simple "ordinary" war will no longer be sufficient. We need a MASSIVE war! A war beyond any other that man's history has ever known!

We are but a single battalion... The remnants of a defeated army numbering less than a thousand strong. However, I believe that each of you old warriors is equal to a thousand of their sickly soft children! We represent a force that could easily defeat an army of a million and one men! It is time for them to awake the ones who sent us screaming into oblivion, and who now lie sleeping. Let's drag them out of bed by the hair, and remind them of what we are! We will remind them of what it feels like to live in fear. We will remind them of the sound our jackboots make against their throats. We will remind them, that there are more things between Heaven and Hell than are dreamt of in their philosophy.

Our Kampfgruppe of one thousand vampires is going to burn this world down to ash. Yes, my friends! Soon, Europe's charred remains will illuminate the night sky! I have brought you all back just as I promised I would. Back to our favorite battlefield. Back to our beloved war! At last the sea lion has crossed the ocean and is heading up the hill. Attention all soldiers of the Millennium Battalion this is a message from your commander… friends, let’s bring them hell."

And this gem,

The Major wrote:(Discussing Millennium's attack on England)
The Major: Our first target shall be the city of London. The west bank of the Thames; Big Ben; The Houses of Parliment; 10 Downing Street; The Ministry of Defence; Buckingham Palace; Scotland Yard; Westminster Abbey; Piccadily Circus; Soho; The city. Burn it to the ground. Burn the ports! Burn the central government!
The Doctor: Major, what about the Cabinent War Rooms?
The Major: Blow them up. Their awful, don't leave the slightest hint they ever existed.
SS Officer: What shall we do about Trafalgar Square, Major?
The Major: Destroy it. Topple Nelson's Column. The Tower of London; The British Museum; The British Library, destroy them all. Their repulsive.
SS Soldier #1: And Tower Bridge?
The Major: Topple it. London Bridge as well, like the song!
SS Soldier #2: And what about the Imperial War Museum?
The Major: Blow it up. Go forth and destroy everything that you see, devour everyone you meet, feast and imbibe to your hearts content. This mighty capital of eight million souls are nothing but our supper!

Integra Hellsing wrote:Integra: (Laughs at the situation, a group of vampire traitors have stormed British High Command.)
Vampire Leader: What's so funny?!
Integra: Why the whole thing of course. Clearly your the vampire equivalent of newborns. We on the other hand are the institution of your annihilation. Frogs parading about in front of a viper, of course it's funny.
Vampire Leader: I'm not scared of you!
Integra: I hope you can claim your Iron Cross from your corporal in hell.
Vampire Leader: Shut up!
Integra: Walter. Clean up.
(Walter Dornez proceeds to wipe out the entire group of traitors single-handedly)
Integra: Bloody traitors.

God I love Hellsing. :D

LotN
http://www.talkwargaming.com/search/lab ... %20Reviews - Black Library Reviews by Lord of the Night@Talk Wargaming
Lord of the Night

Postby MalkyDel » Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:59 pm

Spoiler: we are the dawn of sanctity. what lives in the eighth shall not die. those that cast down shall sit upon thrones. what changes is eternal. that which writhes in the grave's womb will be reborn. they who live without shackles shall be freed. we are the footsteps of the new sun. we are the pyre's children.

++WE RISE++
+IT BEGINS+

Part of one of the one page connecting pieces from "Mark of Calth"
MalkavianDelirium

<3 Fan of Erebus <3

Then one day at Istvaan III,
Horus came to say.
"Fulgrim with your clothes so bright,
won't you help me slay tonight?"
Then all the rebels loved him
And they shouted out with glee.
"Fulgrim the Traitor Primarch,
you'll go down in history!"
MalkyDel

Postby Lord of the Night » Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:36 pm

Betrayer. Just loaded with awesome quotes. :D

"Get up."
-Kharn to Erebus

Spoiler:

"I die, in the shadow of great wings. Not here. Not here!"
"So you do."
-Argel Tal and Erebus

"Now then. Let's start killing."
-Lotara Sarrin

"Kill everyone in this city. Then kill everyone on this world."
-Angron

"Salt the earth Lotara."
-Angron

"Take their skulls Kharn. Build me a throne."
-Angron to Kharn

"Orfeo, Legatus of Armatura. Now you know the name of the warrior who will end your pathetic legend!"
"Horus. Warmaster of the Imperium. Now you know the name of the next Emperor."

-Orfeo and Kharn

"Courage. And Honour. Courage and Honour. Two virtues you have never known Lorgar."
-Roboute Guilliman

"It's been an honour serving with you, sir."
"Shut up Kargos"

-Kargos Bloodspitter and Kharn

"Piss on Angron's grave for me."
-Sergeant Gharte

"You're still a miserable bastard Lhorke."
"I died. A little too late to change now."

-Angron and Lhorke

"Lorgar Aurelian. We will not allow this."
-The Communion

"I've seen into the hell behind reality. It stole my sense of humour."
-Argel Tal

"Titan-tread"
"I saw several coming through the dust, and none of them are on our side."

-Kharn and Skane

"Captain. I'm having such a wonderful time."
-Kargos Bloodspitter

"This is Captain Kharn of the Twellfth Legion to any Word Bearers forces close to Valika. We're overrun, and need immediate reinforcements. Your Primarch is here. Do yuo hear me, cowards? Your Primarch is here.
"Confirm."
"I'm looking at Lorgar as I speak, you cur. It's not just us you've abandoned here."
"This is Torgal of the Word Bearers Seventh. Request for reinforcement acknowledged."
"What does acknowledged mean? Does it mean you're actually coming this time?"

-Kharn and Torgal

"He's mine. He is mine."
"KHARN!"
"I think you might be his."

-Kharn, Orfeo and Argel Tal.

"I Have never pretended to be anything but weak, Kharn. I don't enjoy war, yet I fight. I don't relish torture, yet I inflict it. I don't revere the gods, yet I serve their holy purpose. Humanity's weakest souls will always cling to the words "I was just following orders". They cower behind those words, making a virtue of their own weakness, lionising brutality over nobility. I know that when I die, I'll have lived my whole life shrouded by that same excuse.
"So will I. So will any Space Marine."

-Argel Tal and Kharn

"I am pleased, lord. Calth succeeded beyond all expectation."
"Success beyond expectation? Truly? Then I would ask, if this is the case, why does the warp's melody not sing of such an outcome?
"We should speak, my lord."
"We are speaking, Erebus.
"Alone, sire. What we speak of may not be for... the uninitiated."
"Just speak, First Chaplain."
"The Ruinstorm is born."
"Yes, but tell me of this grand success you spoke of. And where is your ship, Erebus? Where is Destiny's Hand? Strange that I cannot see it."
"I believe she sails with Kor Phaeron and the Infidus Imperator.
"Of course. And Kor Phaeron no doubt orbits Calth in victory, yes? He has sacrificed my brother Guilliman to the Pantheon, has he not?
"Sire-"
"Calm, Erebus. I only wish to share this moment of triumph with you. So. Calth has fallen, the Ultramarines are finished and Guilliman is dead. That was, after all, the expectaion of success that you claim to have exceeded. So you are to be commended. I've been worried that you'd failed to kill my brother, lost half the fleet I granted you to an Ultramarines counter-attack, and abandoned tens of thousands of my sons and mortal servants ton Calth's irradiated surface while you fled into the Maelstrom.
But that would be leaving them to die. Never to be reinforced. Never to be recovered. All those Gal Vorbak who spent months of their lives fasting, prayer, scarring their flesh in preparation for a chance to taste the Divine Blood... they'd be lost, wouldn't they?"

-Erebus and Lorgar

"There is an ancient Terran proverb regarding curiosity, flag-captain. It involves felines and murder, thus I confess it makes little sense to me."
-Vel-Kheredar to Lotara Sarrin

"And do you know Bloodspitter?"
"I know Bloodspitter."
Everyone knew Bloodspitter.

-Angron and Lorgar

"You're not gong to like this, sir."
"Where's Angron?"
"No one knows for certain. He was Lost to the Nails after we took the Krytica Junction half an hour ago. Delvarus was the last to report in; he says he saw the Primarch eating some of the enemy dead."
"Tell me that's a joke."
Skane shrugged again.

-Skane and Kharn

"That was beautiful. Blood of the primarchs, what shooting. Convey my compliments to the enemy captain."
Vox-master Kejic tried. "No response, ma'am."

-Lotara Sarrin and Kejic

And plenty of others, but i've quoted enough here. :D

LotN
http://www.talkwargaming.com/search/lab ... %20Reviews - Black Library Reviews by Lord of the Night@Talk Wargaming
Lord of the Night

Postby sam vimes » Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:35 pm

Well looks like I need to give ADB a another whirl heresy wise as damns Betrayer sounds like a lot of fun, and plus Lorgar doesn't sound like such a wimp anymore, heres a quote I found on the 4chan wiki wonder were its from?

well I'm having trouble geting the quote found so here it is best I can remember:

"The Emperor was a great warrior, a brilliant scientist, a perfect leader and a terrible father"

Found it!!

"The Emperor was a brilliant scientist, a powerful warrior, and great psyker, but he was a terrible father..."
-Rowboat Girlyman, Primarch of the Ultramarines, telling it like it is Bitching.
"Huron-Fal’s systems were on the verge of shutdown ... ‘This death,’ rasped the voder, ‘this death is ours. We choose it. We deny you your victory.’

"Abandon your fear. Look forward. Move forward and never stop. You'll age if you pull back. You'll die if you hesitate."

"From iron cometh strength. From strength cometh will. From will cometh faith. From faith cometh honour. From honour cometh iron." "And may it ever be so"
[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
sam vimes

Postby sam vimes » Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:19 pm

“All great things must first wear terrifying and monstrous masks in order to inscribe themselves on the hearts of humanity.”

[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
sam vimes

Postby sam vimes » Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:21 am

"When a man dies before his time, how much is truly lost?More than just a life, certainly. A branch withers and bears no more fruit. Futures are erased. Paths close that can never be re-opened. Would his offspring have been saints? Killers? Both?When a man dies before his time, the answers go with him.This begs the question: should not all men be saved?"

[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
sam vimes

Postby Commander Shadow » Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:21 pm

""On the Shores of Marik, my friends, the fathers of our fathers made a stand under the flag of Belladon. Did they break and run? Yes! But only in their minds. They ran to friendly places and loved ones, where they could be safe.. and then, my the providence of the God-Emperor, they saw what those friendly places and loved ones would become if they did not stand fast, and so stand fast they did! How do you feel? Belladon blood is like wine on the Emperor's lips! Belladon souls have a special place at his side! If we spill out blood here today, then this soil he had chosen to bless and anoint! Oh, Luck land!! Stand firm and fire, my friends, stand firm and fire! If they're going to have our precious blood, then they'll find the cost is dearer that they can afford! Fury of Belladon! Fury! Fury!

Commissar Novobazky, His Last Command
- And there arose from the abyss a terrible beast and the armies of man were laid low by the walls of the ancient city. The ground shook and the skies trembled and all knew as the beast had come forth and that the end of time was upon them.

"Shadow is always right, except when he tries to save his men from charging orks" - Ang
Commander Shadow

Postby Xisor » Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:54 am

David Earle wrote:Sardon wrung her hands in dismay. "You're letting them go? They'll be killed!"

Just finished. Loved this - as in so amazingly well timed. Pyro's right: massive Gene Wilder/Wonka steal but indecently appropriate for Motley.

"Morr, I do believe you are being deliberately obtuse for your own amusement - which is something that in an odd sort of way I find to be very encouraging."
"When my housemate puts his bike in the middle of the living room floor, I find that inordinately jarring, annoying and rude, but for me to refer to it as "genocide" would be incorrect." -Ath
xisor.wordpress
Xisor's Dice-o-matic Maiminator
Xisor
Site Admin

Postby sam vimes » Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:27 am

correct me if I get this wrong please Betrayer is at home:
'We die in the shadow of great wings'
'So you do my boy, so you do'
Argel Tal and Erebus in one very well done scene

[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
sam vimes

Postby sam vimes » Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:04 am

"In the darkness all men are equal, save those that embrace it."

[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
sam vimes

Postby Liliedhe » Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:48 am

That makes me think of another quote:

"Here is the thing about equality
everyone's equal when they are dead."

;) Yes, watched Les Miserables recently.
"You were a warleader, a fighter, when did you gain such illuminating insight into the minds of others?"
"I learned such things as you and your brothers applied brand to my flesh and parted skin with rasp and knife," snarled Astelan. "When your witches tried to prise open my mind they opened me for an instant and I stared back."
Liliedhe

Postby Bellarius » Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:21 pm

Whether or not you liked the Soul Drinkers series, you have to admit Sarpedon had a few good lines during its run. Especially in response to daemons demanding he serve them:

'My lord is the only power in this galaxy worth fighting for. Join me, march as my soldiers across the stars and give yourself to destruction in the name of the changeling god.What else is there? Your Emperor is nothing, your imperium has excommunicated you. The only purpose you have left is in pursuit of Chaos, which you have executed so well already. There is no need for you to live a lie any longer, Sarpedon. You can have what you wanted at last - a lifetime spent in the service of a power you can believe in, towards a goal you can achieve. And in the name of my God, I wish to show you my gratitude for slaying mt enemy.'

(daemon prince offers Sarpedon Rogal Dorn's weapon, the Soulspear.)

[...]

'This chapter,' he said grimly 'is owned by no one.'

(drives the Soulspear through the daemon's heart.)

I serve the Emperor, mutant, he thought, knowing full well that Teturact could hear him .I need no other god.
He stamped down on Teturact's head, talons shearing through the feverish brain, and the dark light of Teturacts soul was extinguished forever.
The Good the Bad and the Insulting
Daily thoughts, reviews and news of films, novels video games and tabletop games.
Bellarius

Postby sam vimes » Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:57 pm

Torvendis has been everything a world can be except dead

[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
sam vimes

Postby Lord of the Night » Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:19 pm

"The Wolves of Fenris? They will tire at the end. We will all tire at the end. What else is there, once war is eternal, but fatigue?" - Attributed to the Primarch Mortarion. Quoted in Liber Infestus.

LotN
Lord of the Night

PreviousNext

Return to Board index

Return to Spoiler Zone