Most memorable quotes

For talking openly about the spoilers from Black Library fiction.

Re: Most memorable quotes

Postby sam vimes » Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:45 pm

"In whatever underworld your foul breed believes, you shell tell your pig-blooded ancestors that you died to the blade of Ekene of Elysium, Lion of the Emperor."
"Huron-Fal’s systems were on the verge of shutdown ... ‘This death,’ rasped the voder, ‘this death is ours. We choose it. We deny you your victory.’

"Abandon your fear. Look forward. Move forward and never stop. You'll age if you pull back. You'll die if you hesitate."

"From iron cometh strength. From strength cometh will. From will cometh faith. From faith cometh honour. From honour cometh iron." "And may it ever be so"
[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
sam vimes

Postby Liliedhe » Fri Aug 01, 2014 5:59 am

„The day you kill me, warrior, is the day I deserve to die,’ W’soran spat as he scrambled to his feet, Ushoran at his side. ‘I’ll flay the flesh from your treacherous bones!’“

Reynolds, Josh. „Time of Legends: Master of Death.“

W'soran needs some more practise at badass threats :P

„I only attacked him to save your miserable hide, W’soran, so shut up and kindly allow me to do so,’ Ushoran hissed, jerking him away. He turned to Abhorash. ‘We will go, champion. But you have made enemies this day, when you could easily have had allies.’
‘I think I’ll live,’ Abhorash said. The sneer in his words rattled in W’soran’s head as they made their way from his palace…“

Maybe Abhorash can give him pointers? :lol:
"You were a warleader, a fighter, when did you gain such illuminating insight into the minds of others?"
"I learned such things as you and your brothers applied brand to my flesh and parted skin with rasp and knife," snarled Astelan. "When your witches tried to prise open my mind they opened me for an instant and I stared back."
Liliedhe

Postby sam vimes » Thu Aug 07, 2014 1:56 am

found this on the 40k wiki it brought a smile to my face :)

"Sticks 'n' stones'll break my bones but Mork'll kick yer teef in ya big bugger!"
—Warlord Killboss facing off against an Imperial Warhound-class Titan
"Huron-Fal’s systems were on the verge of shutdown ... ‘This death,’ rasped the voder, ‘this death is ours. We choose it. We deny you your victory.’

"Abandon your fear. Look forward. Move forward and never stop. You'll age if you pull back. You'll die if you hesitate."

"From iron cometh strength. From strength cometh will. From will cometh faith. From faith cometh honour. From honour cometh iron." "And may it ever be so"
[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
sam vimes

Postby sam vimes » Fri Aug 15, 2014 8:54 pm

"Sometimes the only victory possible is to keep your opponent from winning."
— The Emperor of Mankind

[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
sam vimes

Postby Xisor » Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:37 pm

sam vimes wrote:"Sometimes the only victory possible is to keep your opponent from winning."
— The Emperor of Mankind

Nah, that one's poop. It speaks of a boring view of the warp and reality and makes the Emperor seems so... dull.

Terrible way to interpret it. Room for improvement.
"When my housemate puts his bike in the middle of the living room floor, I find that inordinately jarring, annoying and rude, but for me to refer to it as "genocide" would be incorrect." -Ath
xisor.wordpress
Xisor's Dice-o-matic Maiminator
Xisor
Site Admin

Postby Lord of the Night » Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:40 pm

Xisor wrote:
sam vimes wrote:"Sometimes the only victory possible is to keep your opponent from winning."
— The Emperor of Mankind

Nah, that one's poop. It speaks of a boring view of the warp and reality and makes the Emperor seems so... dull.

On the contrary I think it's a rather succint and depressing summation of the Horus Heresy. The Imperium did not win the Horus Heresy. Chaos just lost it. The Emperor knows that is what could happen, or will, and he's not wrong. The very essence of the pyyrhic victory is summed up there, a victory that ultimately isn't one and isn't worth having.

LotN
http://www.talkwargaming.com/search/lab ... %20Reviews - Black Library Reviews by Lord of the Night@Talk Wargaming
Lord of the Night

Postby David Earle » Sat Aug 16, 2014 11:18 pm

Chaos won the Heresy. The stalemate that resulted is exactly what the gods wanted. The Emperor ensured humanity's survival, yes, but arguably he shouldn't have.
Check out my blog!

"David is very very old, but also slow, he creeps up behind you without you noticing and then just as his non-breath fails to be felt against your neck he pounces and gives you an informative post." - schaferwhat‽

Ogunzhar lives!
David Earle

Postby MalkyDel » Sun Aug 17, 2014 12:01 am

The best way to think of it is that Horus lost, but Chaos won. Chaos have been aiming things at 40k since they brandished it at Horus in False Gods
MalkavianDelirium

<3 Fan of Erebus <3

Then one day at Istvaan III,
Horus came to say.
"Fulgrim with your clothes so bright,
won't you help me slay tonight?"
Then all the rebels loved him
And they shouted out with glee.
"Fulgrim the Traitor Primarch,
you'll go down in history!"
MalkyDel

Postby Xisor » Sun Aug 17, 2014 11:11 pm

Lord of the Night wrote:
Xisor wrote:
— The Emperor of Mankind

On the contrary I think it's a rather succint and depressing summation of the Horus Heresy. The Imperium did not win the Horus Heresy. Chaos just lost it. The Emperor knows that is what could happen, or will, and he's not wrong. The very essence of the pyyrhic victory is summed up there, a victory that ultimately isn't one and isn't worth having.

LotN

Twaddle. The Emperor didn't win the Heresy. Damage limitation, but to say he knew all along, like profoundly, superhuman and psychically *knew* he couldn't win? All along?

Nah, that's not succinct. It makes the whole thing a nonsense. Much can/could be made of it to make it more interesting, but TOD doesn't do that. The Emperor knew he wasn't able to win, so it's down to making the right moves. Mechanical, not dramatic.

Why play chess?

"Look here, Kal Zulane. Stop moping, everything happens because it has to happen - and not for good or sensible reasons. All you do is pointless. Your eyes being ripped out is inconsequential; Atharva's soul? It's all just me putting an X in a box. The game isn't regicide or anything grand, the players aren't universal intellects and gods - the game is noughts and crosses and they made the first move. I can't even flip the board and walk away. How godly am I?"
"When my housemate puts his bike in the middle of the living room floor, I find that inordinately jarring, annoying and rude, but for me to refer to it as "genocide" would be incorrect." -Ath
xisor.wordpress
Xisor
Site Admin

Postby sam vimes » Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:18 am

He isn't a God he's a being with God like powers he never once claimed to be a God.

[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
sam vimes

Postby Xisor » Mon Aug 18, 2014 3:45 pm

sam vimes wrote:He isn't a God he's a being with God like powers he never once claimed to be a God.

I've never claimed to be an XY chromosomal specimen of the species Homo Sapiens, but I do have some powers that can be mistaken for them - crude wit, upright bipedal gait, rudimentary artistic ability, a sense of object permanence, ridiculous gelatinous orbs in my skull, prehensile paws.

I also walk like a duck and quack like a duck.

None of which addresses the 'noughts and crosses' point - foreknowledge of inescapable pre-determinism doesn't make the Emperor profound or pyrrhic, it mostly trivialises the matter. And not in a sorta cool 'the Emperor always knew he was merely going through the steps to the tune of aeons; dancing the dance without end' way.
xisor.wordpress
Xisor
Site Admin

Postby sam vimes » Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:59 pm

So what your saying is the big E seeing a tipping point and going "oh balls! I can't win this the way I thought I could better do some damage limitation and hope for the best" is a bad thing? I'm currently re-reading Angel Exterminatus yes its by your favorite HH author lol :P and he even says to the Lord Of Iron "it may already be to late"

[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
sam vimes

Postby Xisor » Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:45 pm

sam vimes wrote:So what your saying is the big E seeing a tipping point and going "oh balls! I can't win this the way I thought I could better do some damage limitation and hope for the best" is a bad thing? I'm currently re-reading Angel Exterminatus yes its by your favorite HH author lol :P and he even says to the Lord Of Iron "it may already be to late"

Well, that's the issue, isn't it? There's a difference, real-world, in actual metrics and measurements of 'can I win this?'. It's, fundamentally, not noughts and crosses, where it's plain to see if you've lost. It's not even chess, where things aren't so trivial.

It's a colossal, galactic civil war featuring dozens of superhuman approximations of gods, as well as a galaxy full of geniuses and enhanced bods and competing interests and daemons and awesomely powerful aliens.

For the Emperor to 'skip ahead' to, and I'd be keen to stress it's not "I can't win this the way I thought I could", but "I can't win this." That's the legacy from TOD, not "Oh, bugger, time to rethink this and up my game", but "Oh well, the only thing I can do is try to scupper Horus/Chaos".

Personally, I think the latter's infinitely less interesting than the former. Specifically, there's just comprehensively less to it. It's a big constraint. A chain around the rest of the heresy team. (Or actually, a thing that more or less needs to be ignored or discarded [as per Deliverance Lost and Fear To Tread, if memory serves]). It doesn't expand the lore, it doesn't conjure up a multitude of possibilities for more stories and new angles on characters - it condenses it down, reduces the dimensions and flexibility of the story ahead: everything is reduced because of it.

Just like if it turned out, instead of a massive game of Battlefleet Gothic and Epic:Armageddon across a million tables, actually to be one game of noughts and crosses with Chaos having gone first.

"Nought, I mean Russ, you have to go to the centre otherwise we'll lose."
"The centre? What?"
"Sorry, Prospero."
"Oh, good, was headed there anyway."
xisor.wordpress
Xisor
Site Admin

Postby sam vimes » Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:52 pm

Of course our little debate is scuppered by the fact we know how the HH ends lol although I'm wondering how he COULD have upped his game? As Magnus well... royally screwed his plans with the webway and throne? Beyond what the Emperor was already doing the asartes, imperial army founding the mechanicum beyond the obvious mistakes of Niacea, the humilation of the XVII in the perfect city (that scene still still sits badly with me) and other cock ups what else could he have done that isn't so obvious?

[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
sam vimes

Postby Fenris » Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:00 pm

From End Times:Nagash

This exchange
"You and your master are desiccated relics of a dead age" Kemmler sneered "A new dawn beckons,one that belongs to the Chaos Gods,and to their loyal servants"

"You forsake Nagash's patronage for that of fluxsome deities?" Arkhan asked drily "No lasting power flows from their thrones.The gods will use you,as they have used all others.When your antics bore them,they will destroy you"

Kemmler gave a shrill laugh "And what greater prospect do i have in nagash's service,a future of mindlss servitude in an unchanging world?" Kemmler demanded angrily
"The 'Great necromancer' is a selfish child.though assured of his power,he remains forever terrified that another will take it from him.He will not be satisfied untill his is the only will in existence,for only then can he be safe"

Arkhan took a step forward,the sound of the footfall echoing through the vault.Kemmler marked the advance,but made no move to challenge it.Arkhan took another step,and the necromancer's angry expression grew sly
"Perhaps you should join me" Kemmler suggested "The power of Chaos is rising,and surely even you tire of millennia of thankless servitude."
"Than you but no." Arkhan stated "This desiccated relic chose his allegiance long ago,and will not renege now.In any event - the liche went on,his flat tones becoming grating - do you truly believe that i would abandon my master to serve alongside the likes of you?"

Kemmler's eye flashed "It might suit you to be an extension of nagash's will,but some of us yearn for more.Not that i would expect better from an empty husk such as yourself"

Arkhan took another step forward "How many battles have you lost in your unremarkable existence?" the liche challenged "How many defeats have you known at La Maisontaal alone?You have always been a pawn,Kemmler.It matters not the side upon which you side"

That leads a little later to this line

You call yourself Lichmaster,do you not?To leave this chamber,you must prove that hollow boast

:D
Thrusting his thunder hammer into the sky, he shouted—so that all could hear "Primarch.Progenitor, to your glory!"
"And to the glory of Him on Earth!" his brothers bellowed in response
-
A knight is sworn to valor. His heart knows only virtue. His blade defends the helpless. His word speaks only truth. His wrath undoes the wicked
Fenris

Postby sam vimes » Mon Sep 08, 2014 6:56 pm

"I am remaining on the war-world. Someone must fight alongside the Lions, saving them from futile glory and the worst excesses of their otherwise pure blood. ...The Lions have no Chaplains remaining, and they are our cousins. Honour and brotherhood demand this of me. The Lions cannot call upon the resources of their hive city, but they will not fight alone....Let Volcanus hide behind its walls. Helsreach is going to war."

[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
sam vimes

Postby Fenris » Mon Sep 08, 2014 7:46 pm

Blood and Fire has more than a few good ones :D
Thrusting his thunder hammer into the sky, he shouted—so that all could hear "Primarch.Progenitor, to your glory!"
"And to the glory of Him on Earth!" his brothers bellowed in response
-
A knight is sworn to valor. His heart knows only virtue. His blade defends the helpless. His word speaks only truth. His wrath undoes the wicked
Fenris

Postby Xisor » Sat Sep 13, 2014 4:02 pm

"Come then," he said. "Come and set yourselves against me, oh powers and principalities of madness. Let the heavens themselves crumble in, and the earth turn to mud beneath my feet, and I will still triumph. Send your daemons and proxies, if you would, and I will show you that in this fallen world there is one, at least, who does not fear you. I have beaten gods and men before, and you will be no different. The veil of perfect night shall fall on this world, and order and perfection shall reign, according to my will and no other."
- Return of the Mackash
xisor.wordpress
Xisor
Site Admin

Postby Gaius Marius » Mon Sep 15, 2014 3:30 am

"Be at peace"

Only in Death
Space Cowboy, Spartan II, Specter, Reclusiarch

'I see the fear you have inside.'
Gaius Marius

Postby sam vimes » Fri Sep 26, 2014 4:24 pm

This summed up for me just why the UM were able to resist as long as they did, of course if it hadn't been for the weapons grid being taken back they'd be dead or at the very very least a shattered legion:

'You do not just kill the Ultramarines Legion
Lorgar’s barbarians would not have risked a fair fight.
They would have gathered every advantage that surprise, decit and entrapment could offer. They would have wanted to blitz and kill their enemy.

But the Word Bearers did not make the clean kill they intended. They fumbled it or they under estimated the effort requied. They made a bloody mess, and left wounded foe that could still move and fight; a wounded mangled foe that was fuelled by pain and hatred and vengeance, and by the bright shock of moral outrage.
Always make sure your enemy is dead.
If you must fight an Ultramarine, pray you kill him. If he is still alive then YOU are dead.'

[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
sam vimes

PreviousNext

Return to Board index

Return to Spoiler Zone