Most memorable quotes

For talking openly about the spoilers from Black Library fiction.

Most memorable quotes

Postby Lord of the Night » Tue Sep 06, 2011 3:38 pm

Inspired by the most memorable characters and deaths threads.

Name any quote that you think is utterly epic.

First from me is the final speech by Warsmith Dantioch in The Iron Within.

The Iron Within wrote:'Idriss Krendl,' Dantioch hissed. 'Captain, this is your Warsmith. I know that you are there, somewhere in my fortress. I know you keep company with traitors and stand in the shadow of the Collegia Titanica's god machines. Faced with such odds, I am speaking to you for the last time. And I say to you again that this fortress will not serve the interests of our unloving father or his renegade Warmaster. But, Captain, I was wrong when I told you that the Schadenhold would never fall. Idriss, it will fall...'

Second is from Soul Hunter and Blood Reaver, the always hilarious...

Cyrion wrote:"So... how are you?

And of course this, one of the first times that somebody finally stands up to the Exalted and pisses him off.

Soul Hunter wrote:'Vandred, where is the prophet? Malcharion and your claws are voxing news of a new prophecy. I must speak with the Soul Hunter.'
'He is incapacitated,' the Exalted managed. Its teeth were clenched so forcefully that one cracked like porcelain. 'Our father's ailment has befallen him once more.'
'So its true?'
'I did not sa-'
'Fall back!' Halasker cried to his squads over the vox. 'Fall back with the war-sage!
The Exalted roared at the ceiling of the command deck, loud enough to send the mortal crew cowering.

And the final moments of the novel Helsreach definitely earn a place, one of the most memorable victory speeches i've ever read.

Chaplain Grimaldus wrote:'We are judged in life,' I tell them, 'for the evil we destroy.'
'We are judged in life for the evil we destroy. It is a bleak truth, that is there is nothing but blood awaiting us in the spaces between the stars. But the Emperor sees all that transpires in His domain. And we are judged equally for the illumination we bring to the blackest nights. We are judged in life for those moments we spill light into the darkest reaches of His Imperium.
'Your world taught me this. Your world, and the war that brought me here.'

Helsreach wrote:Hero of Helsreach, the crowd cheers.
As if there is only one.

Lord of the Night
http://www.talkwargaming.com/search/lab ... %20Reviews - Black Library Reviews by Lord of the Night@Talk Wargaming
Lord of the Night

Re: Most memorable quotes

Postby Liliedhe » Tue Sep 06, 2011 5:58 pm

Oh.... I got one. Ok, more than one.

The Chapter's Due wrote:"The last dawn", said Calgar. "Reminds of the final canto of the Lament of the First 'Praise the sun that brings the dawn of our final doom.'"
"Now, there's a depressing thought", replied Agemman. "Saul Invictus's last speech before the tyranids overran them."
"Sorry, just thinking aloud."
"I hope that's not the inspiring speech you're planning to give."
"I'm all out of speeches, Severus", said Calgar.

Actually, I could quote almost everything Calgar says in this book...

And, in no particular order, from random books pulled from my shelf:

Space Hulk wrote:To live and fight again, to remember the sacrifice made this day and six hundred years ago, that was true victory. To survive and allow the memories to live on, when so many had not, that was the ultimate triumph.
There was no failure in that.

After Lorenzo had been struggling with his death wish the entire book, even going catatonic on occasion that was a very surprising conclusion.

Prometheus Requiem wrote:"Stay eager, little wyrm. You and I shall fight together very soon."
The Magma lakes below Mount Deathfire on Nocturne were colder than Tsu'gan's ire at that moment.

This just had me *LOL*. I like Hrydor, and Tsu'gan is just standing on his dignity so much that it was very amusing to see him teased. Especially since his indignation just rolled off that old campaigner like rain.

Red Fury wrote:"Trust is not required", said Caecus. "Only obedience."

And this just shows why this universe sucks so much. In a nutshell. ^^
"You were a warleader, a fighter, when did you gain such illuminating insight into the minds of others?"
"I learned such things as you and your brothers applied brand to my flesh and parted skin with rasp and knife," snarled Astelan. "When your witches tried to prise open my mind they opened me for an instant and I stared back."
Liliedhe

Postby Rob P » Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:19 pm

I don't think I need to give the book title.

It is easily:

I always hated you, Xaphen

edit: I can't write more than two words without making typos!
Last edited by Rob P on Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rob P

Postby Gaius Marius » Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:23 am

Rob P wrote:I don't think I need to give the book title.

It is easily:

I always hate you, Xaphen

This ^
Space Cowboy, Spartan II, Specter, Reclusiarch

'I see the fear you have inside.'
Gaius Marius

Postby Flashgordon » Sat Sep 10, 2011 11:13 pm

When in deadly danger,
When beset by doubt,
Run in little circles,
Wave your arms and shout.

Pleas guess the source. :lol:
Flashgordon

Postby Xisor » Sun Sep 11, 2011 12:10 am

The Throne of Lies

"I remember seeing it in the flesh. I recall watching him rise from the throne, so many years ago, and obeying his orders to watch as the assassin approached. I remember how he laughed before he leapt at her."
- The Exalted/Vandred

and shortly after:

---

He turned the device to its first setting and watched his father laugh in the seconds before his death. He watched this seven more times before twisting the recorder to its next setting. Nothing happened.

He tried the next and received the same result. Only the last setting contained another archive, a vox recording [starts playing faintly].

Talos recognised the voice immediately: it was the assassin who had slain his father in the age before the Long War. More than that: it was the woman he had disembowelled and torn apart himself in pursuit of vengeance. She spoke from the grave, ten thousand years dead, repeating the same words, just as the Primarch's spirit was caged into repeating the same actions.

"This is M'shen, daughter of the Callidus: I've found Commander Kurze of the Night Lords Legion, I sh--
This is M'shen, daughter of the Callidus: I've found Commander Kurze of the Night Lords Legion, I sh--
This is M'shen, daughter of the Callidus: I've found Commander Kurze of the Night Lords Legion, I sh--..."

:cry:
"When my housemate puts his bike in the middle of the living room floor, I find that inordinately jarring, annoying and rude, but for me to refer to it as "genocide" would be incorrect." -Ath
xisor.wordpress
Xisor's Dice-o-matic Maiminator
Xisor
Site Admin

Postby Liliedhe » Sun Sep 11, 2011 3:46 pm

Flashgordon wrote:When in deadly danger,
When beset by doubt,
Run in little circles,
Wave your arms and shout.

Pleas guess the source. :lol:

From Ciaphas Cain. One of the little jokes the commissariat cadets make.^^ Can't say which book it is from, though.

@Xisor: Yes, Throne of Lies is utterly awesome.
"You were a warleader, a fighter, when did you gain such illuminating insight into the minds of others?"
"I learned such things as you and your brothers applied brand to my flesh and parted skin with rasp and knife," snarled Astelan. "When your witches tried to prise open my mind they opened me for an instant and I stared back."
Liliedhe

Postby groovysl » Sun Sep 11, 2011 4:19 pm

Heinlein used "When in danger or in doubt, run in circles scream and shout" in a novel, I think it was the cat who Walks through walls, about 25 years ago. I think it's an old sayng from the US military academies, Heinlein graduated from Annapolis, so it would be reasonable that similar flippancy might be met in the Guard training schools, at least among the less piously correct students.
Last edited by groovysl on Sun Sep 11, 2011 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
groovysl

Postby Xisor » Sun Sep 11, 2011 4:22 pm

There's also this from The Gothic War:

"Torpedoes, flag-captain?"
Semper's savage smile of triumph matched that of his officer.
"Oh yes, Mister Nyder. Torpedoes."
"When my housemate puts his bike in the middle of the living room floor, I find that inordinately jarring, annoying and rude, but for me to refer to it as "genocide" would be incorrect." -Ath
xisor.wordpress
Xisor
Site Admin

Postby Jaraknarn » Sun Sep 11, 2011 5:53 pm

Sorry to turn this cultured literery discussion into a fake quote off but,

"Malcador, iv given this a lot of thought and I think I should put Horus in charge while we go sort of this secret stuff, he seems the most trust worthy of all of them".

:-D
Jaraknarn

Postby sam vimes » Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:39 pm

In pain their is life, in darkness endless strength look upon the night and learn these lessons well.

And the bit that made fulgrim, fulgrim in my view:

"The phoenix is an angel; the clapping of whose wings is the roar of thunder.

And this thunder is the fearful note that heralds the cataclysm,

And the roar of the onrushing waves that will destroy paradise."
"Huron-Fal’s systems were on the verge of shutdown ... ‘This death,’ rasped the voder, ‘this death is ours. We choose it. We deny you your victory.’

"Abandon your fear. Look forward. Move forward and never stop. You'll age if you pull back. You'll die if you hesitate."

"From iron cometh strength. From strength cometh will. From will cometh faith. From faith cometh honour. From honour cometh iron." "And may it ever be so"
[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
sam vimes

Postby Gaius Marius » Tue Sep 13, 2011 2:05 am

Jaraknarn wrote:Sorry to turn this cultured literery discussion into a fake quote off but,

"Malcador, iv given this a lot of thought and I think I should put Horus in charge while we go sort of this secret stuff, he seems the most trust worthy of all of them".

:-D

*clap, clap, clap*
Space Cowboy, Spartan II, Specter, Reclusiarch

'I see the fear you have inside.'
Gaius Marius

Postby sam vimes » Sun Sep 18, 2011 4:37 pm

from rynns world not so much a quote as two paragraphs:
So, he led them in the litany, thier voices joining to fill the air and challange the noise of the bombs. They hardly noticied when the bombs stopped falling. A short time later when death came to take them all, that was how it found them; unafraid, with pride in their hearts.
Savales need not have worried about the worth of his life. He had lived it with great honour, and it ended in the only place he had ever called home.
Always tears me up a little that bit does.
"Huron-Fal’s systems were on the verge of shutdown ... ‘This death,’ rasped the voder, ‘this death is ours. We choose it. We deny you your victory.’

"Abandon your fear. Look forward. Move forward and never stop. You'll age if you pull back. You'll die if you hesitate."

"From iron cometh strength. From strength cometh will. From will cometh faith. From faith cometh honour. From honour cometh iron." "And may it ever be so"
[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
sam vimes

Postby Jaraknarn » Sun Sep 18, 2011 4:43 pm

What a book, the crimson fist literally personify everything I love about 40k, hence y I play them, and I love the way all the characters are portrayed in that book, especially savales.
Jaraknarn

Postby Xisor » Sun Sep 18, 2011 6:48 pm

I felt Rynn's World was not too bad, just a bit... lacklustre (which is a shame as I really like Steve Parker's other work). For me, however, the crux of it was the discussion along the lines of:

"Captain Cortez, you're going nowhere, you've lost an arm!"
"Pedro, I have not lost my arm," Cpt. Cortrez looks around. "It's over there."

I'd be keen to see some more CF shorts from Steve Parker, or perhaps even the story of a CF who was off at Deathwatch (e.g. tying into the DW stories he has) when the orks attacked, returning only to find out the sorry state of affairs...
xisor.wordpress
Xisor
Site Admin

Postby Liliedhe » Sun Sep 18, 2011 6:52 pm

I liked Rynn's World a lot, it's my favourite of the Space Marine Battles novels.

Cortez is just the most BAMF ever^^.
Liliedhe

Postby Lord of the Night » Sun Sep 18, 2011 7:11 pm

Liliedhe wrote:I liked Rynn's World a lot, it's my favourite of the Space Marine Battles novels.

Cortez is just the most BAMF ever^^.
I liked Rynn's World quite a bit.

My favourite moment with Cortez is when they free the prisoners from the Ork Painboy. The Painboy sees them and circles his table with a buzzsaw and Cortez just walks up towards him, then it skips to the next scene and Cortez just nonchalantly hands the Ork's severed face to Kantor. Very ironic for the greenskin, and hilarious for me.

Lord of the Night
http://www.talkwargaming.com/search/lab ... %20Reviews - Black Library Reviews by Lord of the Night@Talk Wargaming
Lord of the Night

Postby sam vimes » Sun Sep 18, 2011 7:50 pm

is it me or is Cortez's arrogance a lot easier to take than sicarus's, with sicarus it felt like arrogant blue blood but cortez's its a case of, seen it shot it killed it so I can be arrogant as i've done it all

[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
sam vimes

Postby Jaraknarn » Sun Sep 18, 2011 8:17 pm

Yer totally,

Sicarius is like, "this foe is pathetic, my superior training and brain power makes me an impossible adversary, SPES MAHREEEEENS!!!"

And Cortez is just, " thies foe is pathetic, iv killed something exactly the same but twice as big, 3 times already"

Its a simple matter of confidence not arrogance.
Jaraknarn

Postby Xisor » Mon Sep 19, 2011 12:17 am

Jaraknarn wrote:Its a simple matter of confidence not arrogance.

Aye, I'd agree with that. It's not too much that Cortez 'lords it over folks', rather than he has no consideration for...modesty. Sicarius, on the other hand, seems to be acutely aware of the spectacle and 'meta-importance' of what he does (media, morale, propoganda, psychological warfare).

I don't mean to diminish Cortez's badasery, but I keep seeming to find myself arguing in favour of Sicarius being more awesomer. And I do not like this!
xisor.wordpress
Xisor
Site Admin

Next

Return to Board index

Return to Spoiler Zone