The First Heretic (long text)

For talking openly about the spoilers from Black Library fiction.

Re: The First Heretic (long text)

Postby Xisor » Fri Sep 30, 2011 12:11 am

There's a very powerful argument, IMO, on the Adepta Sororitas that, unlike the Space Marines being 'dehumanised' and 'programmed', the Sororitas are being...ultra-humanised, distilled.

The Sororitas have their humanity focussed and honed. They've got hate, they've got understanding and comprehension. Where the Iron Hands hate humanity for being weak, the Sororitas would do so because they're ultimately the same as the thing they hate. Their faith, devotion, hope, hatred, aspiration and ambition is all cultivated and pushed towards their near-military (or just military, in the case of Battle Sistsers) discipline.

It's something that's been slightly weakly done, IMO, with the renditions of the Hospitallers. Or perhaps isn't done so well for the 'fiction Sororitas' as opposed to the 'concept Sororitas'. They're certainly similar to the Space Marines, but they're remarkably different too. They're a different breed of dehumanised human. Well, one's a dehumanised human, the other's a dehumanised post-human.

That said, as 'character studies' go, I think they certainly fulfil a similar role and potential in the background, though there's also some lovely nuance to them that distinguishes them from being 'merely' (not that anyone's saying that) female versions of the male role held by Space Marine.
Admin of Ruin
"When my housemate puts his bike in the middle of the living room floor, I find that inordinately jarring, annoying and rude, but for me to refer to it as "genocide" would be incorrect." -Ath
xisor.wordpress
Xisor's Dice-o-matic Maiminator
Xisor
Site Admin

Postby revelation » Fri Sep 30, 2011 2:31 am

Xisor, very nice way of putting it and I totally agree that the Sisters are nuanced in a way as to distinguish themselves from Space Marines, though they serve generally speaking a similar purpose, its not a straight one to one correspondence, thus my use of the term "counterpoint" to describe the loose similarity.

As for the quality of writing about the Sisters, I haven't gotten a chance to read anything about them. James Swallow's novels about the Sisters come out in December? Hopefully they'll be good.
revelation

Postby Xisor » Fri Sep 30, 2011 5:42 am

revelation wrote:As for the quality of writing about the Sisters, I haven't gotten a chance to read anything about them. James Swallow's novels about the Sisters come out in December? Hopefully they'll be good.

It's a re-release for one of the novels, Faith and Fire. It's been a long time since I read it, but it wasn't an amazing one, for me. That said, it was interesting enough that I'd be keen to read the sequel! (And the first was decent enough on its own too, but not quite the character-study I feel that the Sisters of Battle deserve. E.g. a Sisters' version of Helsreach or Purging of Kadillus/Angels of Darkness.)

(Also, apologies, I realise my last post was somewhat a spontaneous ramble rather than a coherent response to/contradiction of anything in particular!)
Admin of Ruin
"When my housemate puts his bike in the middle of the living room floor, I find that inordinately jarring, annoying and rude, but for me to refer to it as "genocide" would be incorrect." -Ath
xisor.wordpress
Xisor's Dice-o-matic Maiminator
Xisor
Site Admin

Postby revelation » Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:09 am

Xisor wrote:
revelation wrote:As for the quality of writing about the Sisters, I haven't gotten a chance to read anything about them. James Swallow's novels about the Sisters come out in December? Hopefully they'll be good.

It's a re-release for one of the novels, Faith and Fire. It's been a long time since I read it, but it wasn't an amazing one, for me. That said, it was interesting enough that I'd be keen to read the sequel! (And the first was decent enough on its own too, but not quite the character-study I feel that the Sisters of Battle deserve. E.g. a Sisters' version of Helsreach or Purging of Kadillus/Angels of Darkness.)

(Also, apologies, I realise my last post was somewhat a spontaneous ramble rather than a coherent response to/contradiction of anything in particular!)

I didnt realize Faith and Fire was a re-release. Shows you how much I keep up with Sister's of Battle related literature. :(
revelation

Postby Therion » Fri Nov 25, 2016 5:22 am

WARHAMMER IS FOR EVERYONE EXCEPT FOR ME
"There can be no bystanders in the battle for survival. Anyone who will not fight by your side is an enemy you must crush" -Scriptorus Munificantus
Therion

Previous

Return to Board index

Return to Spoiler Zone