The Naughty Little Woodpecker... [40K] [GS]

For convenient but separate story advertisement, planning and discussion threads.

Re: The Naughty Little Woodpecker... [40K] [GS]

Postby Stuart000X » Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:33 pm

I like the characters that has been put forward so far.
Stuart000X

Postby Colonel Mustard » Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:45 pm

Stuart000X wrote:I like the characters that has been put forward so far.

Agreed. Nice and varied, and delectably odd, just as Inquisition characters should be so far.

To really mix things up, the antagonist inquisitor may, as a matter of fact, actually lack a pointy goatee. This, however, is undecided. ;)
Colonel Mustard

Postby shadowhawk2008 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:49 pm

The plot thickens!
Shadowhawk's Shade My 40k/writing/review blog. You can check out all my reviews here.

My current fiction projects - Veergati: The Scarlet Records, an Indian space opera inspired by Star Trek.
shadowhawk2008

Location: Battle-barge Spear of Lycaeus of the Angels of Retribution

Postby hypomaniac » Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:50 pm

To really mix things up, the antagonist inquisitor may, as a matter of fact, actually lack a pointy goatee. This, however, is undecided. ;)

Shall it be replaced by a handlebar mustache?
hypomaniac

Postby Maugan Ra » Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:10 pm

Argh, many, many apologies. Totally forgot I'd actually signed up for this one. Shall have a character bio up soon.
Maugan, your slow descent into madness is starting to look more like a BASE jump...
- Rahvin

The 210th Cadian - Tanks, heavy weapons, and an ongoing hatred of Land Raiders.
W: 41
D: 6
L: 14
Maugan Ra

Postby Geradin » Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:10 am

Name: Anssio Kharakorum

Previous Occupation: Adeptus Arbites - Marshals Branch

Appearance: Average height, roughly 183cm, average build with well toned body. Brown eyes, black hair, cleanly shaved and sports buzz cut hair. Typically wears Arbites body glove, balaclava and reinforced armour to everywhere.

Born in a crime-ridden lower hive of Hive World Arkuleon, Anssio had his tangle with the world of violence and criminal activities from an early age. Struggling to survive, Anssio saw the chaotic world around him with millions suffering, all because of lack of order. Vowing to do what he could best do to bring peace and order into the hive, Anssio joined the Arbites at age of 16. During his times in the Arbites, Anssio quickly gained great notoriety for his swift and ruthless dispension of justice to anyone who dares to disrupt orderliness, especially noted in the Bloody Valentines Incident, when over 500 gangers captured from regular lower-hive culling were, after being ordered to line up in a narrow alley, all crushed to death by a Repressor driven by Anssio.

Rising through the ranks, he soon found himself attracted to the Marshals Branch, a department specializing in protection of high profile personnel and hunting down fugitives and dangerous criminals. His duties continued, until the arrival of the Inquisition in his hive, led by trail of various rumours. Seconded by the Inquisitor in his investigation, Anssio and his squad of Marshals scoured through the under-hive. The rumour proved to be false, however, losing a bodyguard during an engagement with a band of mutants, the Inquisitor forcibly enlisted Anssio to be part of the retinue to serve as a bodyguard and a fellow investigator.

Forcibly working for the Inquisitor, Anssio always comment that he hates every single second of his time. However, whenever the hunt begins, whatever the target may be, his eyes always glow with the brightest twinkle.

Anssio can generally be described as jaded and gruff. He tries his best to blend with other retinues and crack jokes, succeeding in only rare occasions. Ever since the initial conscription, Anssio has continually worked with Inquisitor McTavish, currently serving for over six years with the Inquisitor.

Edit: Good to see you back, Maugan. I hope you don't disappear on us like that again. ;)
(I made my bio too complicated to read. But don't worry, I'll make it easier in the future. Just somewhat otherwisley occupied now.)
He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. If you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you. - Friedrrich Nietzsche
Geradin

Postby Geradin » Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:03 am

Inquisitor - (Protagonist)

Name: Weylin McTavish, Ordo Malleus Inquisitor

Appearance: Of massive physique, standing over 221cm tall, green eyes and short white hair.

Little is known about his youth or how he came to join the Inquisition.

However, it is confirmed that Weylin underwent genetic augmentation, which accounts for his physique. McTavish is also a huge fanatic of the Lord Inquisitor Coteaz and Hector Rex and tries to fashion himself after them in many ways, including in choice of weapons and armour. Most of the times, Inquisitor McTavish can be seen strutting around in a golden Inqusitional artificer armour with either a two handed thunder hammer or a anointed power sword and storm shield.

Weylin McTavish has very straightforward personality and values honesty, integrity and hard work the most. On occasions, he can be described to be socially gauche or lacking in diplomaticity. His utmost goal is to bring about the justice the best he can.

His other retinues are two servo skulls and a scribe, who is often left to take care of matters in Inquisitor McTavish's ship, Legacy Tourney.

Inquisitor - (Antagonist)

Name: Desiderius Blabier, Ordo Malleus Inquisitor

Appearance: skinny, standing at 187cm with dark-blonde hair and brown eyes

-= From the Journals of Inquisitor Weylin McTavish =-

Inquisitor Blabier can only be called a two faced man. On the outside, he is suave, smooth and easy to get along with. However, for those who are in competition with him, his true and decietful side comes out. He is an arrogant, obnoxious, over-bearing, lying and dishonourable scum. Treating his peers in terrible manners, lying of his achievements, claiming credits for others hard works, thieving, back stabbing, plotting behind others back and secretly taking actions to foil other Inquisitor's works are to list only few. However, he manages to conceal all this to great extenet. People under him sees this garbage of humanity as a charismatic leader and people on top of him sees him as a charismatic leader. How could they be decieved so easily? Are they not fellow Inquisitors who have great expriences in dealing with deceptions? It is impossible to explain in words how I feel, but somehow by writing about it, I hope I can ease some of this... frustration and anger building up inside of me. I can only hope for the justice to be done upon him.

-= File Registry Section 100A, Subsection J10, Cordon B, Page 10 =-
He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. If you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you. - Friedrrich Nietzsche
Geradin

Postby hypomaniac » Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:28 am

haha all I can think of is "Soap" when I read that bio
hypomaniac

Postby Geradin » Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:30 am

I'm not sure I get the reference.... (Sorry, but can you explain? I don't want anything in here to be cheesy or cliche or such.)
Geradin

Postby Gaius Marius » Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:41 am

I actually read parts of several Dark Heresy books while browsing in a barnes and noble the other day so I'm more prepared for this than I usually would be. My character design is a bit rough at the moment, but safe to say he's going to be a crusader, a man or woman (haven't decided that yet either) extremely skilled in combat, wielding a power falchion and a bolt pistol in heavy armor. Extremely devout, skilled tactician, hates daemons and all that, yada yada. Also, the lights up stairs are not on at all, none of his pistons are firing, his marble sack has burst, his cheese has done slid off his cracker. In short, the Crusader has been driven completely round the bend, I'm not sure by what yet, possession, mental illness, ptsd, poisoning are all on the table. Once a very honorable man, he's completely lost it and can barely tell friend from foe and is committing increasingly erratic actions: When placed in charge of a contingent of Imperial guard troops he ordered several shot for no particular reason, had a minor (and very loyal, without a trace of heresy or treason about it) city nerve gassed seemingly on a whim, gave command of a company to a horse, bombarded an empty desert for hours on end, under his command horrifying tortures were carried out on prisoners, mass rapes ordered, rumors of cannibalism etc. While the Crusader is still able to present a somewhat sane face to his inquisitorial allies, he/she is becoming a dangerous liability to the group, one that an opponent may well exploit.
Space Cowboy, Spartan II, Specter, Reclusiarch

'I see the fear you have inside.'
Gaius Marius

Postby Geradin » Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:56 am

- EDIT -

Oh crap, I think I misunderstood what Gaius wrote down and replied complete gibberish. Sorry, my mistake, my bad.

I apologize. (Which would also explain why my PM probably didn't make sense to you, Marius. I'm sorry, mate.)

Things finally cleared up for me. Thank you.
Last edited by Geradin on Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Geradin

Postby Stuart000X » Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:40 am

So what's the next move now?
Stuart000X

Postby hypomaniac » Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:31 am

Ger, "Soap" was the nickname/call sign given to one of the main characters in the Call of Duty: Modern Warfare franchise. His last name was MacTavish and the Inquisitor's name made me think of it
hypomaniac

Postby Geradin » Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:02 pm

Oh, was it? I never played any Call of Duty, perhaps except for the first two.

Stuart - The next move shall be... Let me count the personnel for a bit.

We have

Colonel Mustard - No Character Yet
Maugan - No Character Yet
hypomaniac - Yes Character
Stuart (You) - Yes Character
Gaius Marius - ??? Unknown, most likely participating?
Angupipes - Yes Character
Geradin (I) - Yes Character

Well, at least we have 4 out of 7. Maugan and Mustard, I implore you to quickly update!

Unless otherwisely stated, I will assume you will not be participating in the story if the characters are not updated by July 10th (Sunday ), 2011, 0005 Hour, GMT. (This is 5 minutes after Saturday midnight)

I was thinking of starting the story when all the bios are set, but we'll start going ahead and I'm sure remaining people can catch up. I envisioned the starting scenes as returning from a mission, aboard a ship/transport back to the Inquisitorial Fortress of the Regional Conclave in Vidirel Sector. At this point and time we shall take the oppertunity to introduce our characters and setting to the readers.

If anybody wants to present their character in their recruitment stage or other particular light, I will let him do it first before mowing on. If anyone wants to start out the introduction, it's also fine, but otherwise, I will be writing the introductory piece and we'll just take couple posts to interact with each other, introduce and we'll end up infront of the Inquisitorial Fortress, meet the tribune, brush by our antagonist Inquisitor and get a mission and zoom we go.

Any questions or something that needs to be clarified?
Geradin

Postby Colonel Mustard » Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:34 pm

Gaius: Not sure about your crusader having command of Imperial Guard regiments, but apart from that I do personally quite like his character idea,though perhaps you should tone down his abject insanity somewhat; some mental instability can be forgiven, as most Inquisitors tend to recruit rather oddball individuals, but I do feel that currently it's a bit much with this fellow.

And I will get my psyker up, I promise. I've been rather busy lately, but I've got a free day on Friday should I should have him up by then, you have my. Or possibly tomorrow, even.
Colonel Mustard

Postby Geradin » Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:43 pm

I do agree with Mustard, Mr.Marius.

Let's start with someone whos more of solo-er. No one too fancy and no one too powerful would be nice.

In short, your character must be alone other than other retinues and Inquisitors. He/She can have family, but better not show up in the story, unless is of plot significance.

Remember, our Inquisitor still has that "justice" sense about him. He probably wouldn't recruit someone like him, but more like to hand down capitol sentence.

*Note: Thank you, my dear Colonel, you have awakened me to what Mr.Marius was saying earlier. I thought he said that's how our Inquisitor might turn out in the plot, but obviously I've gone crazy myself and read it wrong. (Sorry, it was a very tiring night.) Then after reading yours I re-read his post couple times before coming to understandment that he was describing his character.

Wooh, what a crazy feller I am. And don't worry, just try to do it quick and it's all well for everybody.
Geradin

Postby Stuart000X » Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:54 pm

I'll write something about my character Garandus; a prelude. I quite invision Garandus to be simplistic, and unlike the run of the mill characters, hasn't set out in life to try and kill something, rather he's tried to enjoy the quiet life away from danger and destruction.
Stuart000X

Postby Gaius Marius » Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:44 am

I"m def participating, I'll get mine with a 'cleaner' background put up tonight.

Gaius Marius

Postby Gaius Marius » Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:03 am

Alright, here's my crusader, all cleaned up and ready to go. I see him as something like a 'team dad' of the group, viewing the younger members as his children, never having any of his own. I removed the more blatant offenses in my original thoughts and am casting him as a very good person who is slowly descending into madness rather than someone who already fell. If its okay with Ger, I'm writing him as someone who has been with Inquisitor MacTavish for several years. Also, he has just returned to the retinue after being on a solo mission. Note I'm not going to have access to a comp besides a kindle the next few days, so I can't really write anything else till the weekend.

The Falling Knight

Name: Scipio Ursicus

Appearance: Ursicus has the physique of a man in his late twenties thanks to rejuvenats and a great deal of exercise. However, he declines facial reconstruction as he thinks it vanity. He has lost most of his hair save for a set of white sideburns and has kind green, almost grandfatherly eyes and an honest smile. There are several scars on his face and most of his teeth are steel replacements. Six feet tall and broad, he wears a set of black carapace plate with a red border, coated in the Circle Star pendants of his Crusader house. His primary weapon is his two handed falchion Asiaticus, which is 4.5 feet long with a mother of pearl hilt covered in shark skin. Its power field glows silver and the blade is inscribed with Crusader House Hunkpapa’s chosen words, ‘Always at Your Side, August Emperor’.

History:

Youngest son of a wealthy merchant and well educated, he served with the Halbrieth Horse Cavalry for ten years on nine campaigns, rising to the rank of Captain before being recruited into the Ordo Malleus as an acolyte during the Ipswitch Outbreak, where he led a cavalry charge straight into the flank of a Blood Letter horde. He was always a very devout man, not missing a service in his life unless prevented by combat and donating most of his salaries to charitable causes. He earned the Badge of Vulkan for carrying nine of his wounded men to safety during the Sinking of the Jalkata Hives and was nominated for the Macharius Cross for taking out a corrupted bane blade using his explosive spear. At thirty five he was inducted into the Hunkpapa Crusader House for conspicuous gallantry in holding the bridge of the River Kwai for nine hours against a rebelling horde of mutant slaves, giving time for twenty thousand civilians to escape and allowing Inquisitor Solianus to identify the horde’s leader before he could summon a Great Unclean One into existence. After two years of study and practice he was initiated into the house as a full member and gifted a relic falchion from the days of the Alimbor Crusade.

Ursicus has been in the retinues of two Ordo Malleus Inquisitors in his life, gaining great experience in combating the daemon. He has been with Inquisitor MacTavish for eleven years and shares the Inquisitor’s sense of honor and decency. Often he acts as the Inquisitor’s sword bearer in combat and is occasionally sent on individual assignments to liason with other Imperial forces that are threatened with the Daemonic. He reads much of military and religious history and as such has many discussions with Garrandus over the different interpretations made by various historians and religious scholars. He often tries to get Mustard’s character to be a better person and attend church more often. He see’s Paula as a daughter and Adrien as a son. He is friendly, generous and a fundamentally good person.

However, Ursicus has had difficulty sleeping as of late. Often his attention seems to waver and he is unconsciously mouthing something to himself, he experiences vertigo and blurry vision frequently and is beginning to lose track of stretches of time. These symptoms started one year ago, after MacTavish returned from a mission to investigate a rumor of the Daemonhost Carlax on the Mining Colony of Istion and was cut off on the planet during a minor warp storm. When the Planetary Governor and the PDF’s head generals were killed by a cult suicide bomber, Ursicus took command of the remaining forces to battle Carlax and his army of corrupted miners. During the six month war, Ursicus was forced to do things that did not sit well with him. Many civilians were killed by saturation bombing of rebel held territory, something that did not sit well with a man more accustomed to horse charges and duels of champions but Ursicus could not not order the bombings, so vital were the afflicted areas to the enemy’s war effort. Late in the war his troops descended into acts of unnecessary savagery during the brutal fights in the tunnels, sometimes eating the enemy fallen while still alive and committing mass rapes. Ursicus executed several of them, but was so pressed for manpower that many of the guilty were allowed to live until the end of the war. Although Carlax was banished by a squad of Grey Knights who arrived as the warp storm dissipated and the rebellion was broken by an Imperial Guard relief convoy, Ursicus’ conscience lays heavy on him. He did many things he considered wrong and allowed others to do worse. A discreet visit to a medicae found no physiological cause to his problems and Ursicus has not visited a psychologist for fear of being thought weak. As such, his symptoms are growing and he is paralyzed with indecision over whether or not to inform MacTavish about it.

Gaius Marius

Postby Geradin » Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:07 am

Alrighty, it's fine. Don't worry too much about it, just remember to come back. ;)

I like the last bit part. Anyways.

Let's list them off...

Angu - Paula Hieronymos - Adepta Sororitas, Ordo Dialogous - Intelligent, pious, naive, insightful, inexprience, etc

Geradin - Anssio Kharakorum - Adeptus Aribtes, Marshals - Jaded, (He's Arbites, whatever comes to mind.)

Gais - Scipio Ursicus - Knight - Generally good, but started going downhill

Stuart - Garrandus Juliop - Librarius Curator - short and small, but smart.

hypo - Adrien Gray - Stormtrooper/Pilot - I would imagine that he would have a young, gallant character to him.

Mustard - Not Yet

Maugan - Not Yet

So.. Just how will our writing turns work? It's very simple.

Whoever posts first gets the established turn, and rest, my partner-engrossed and engaged in-project (Otherwisely known as PEEP), Colonel Mustard and I shall roll a D.6 or so for rest of the members.

What does this mean? This is what it means. (Since Stuart and Gaius said they would write their seperate introductory piece, I will use them as example.) If Stuart manages to post his piece up first, then he's first in the order of writing, however, since he's already posted his work, it goes on to the next person. Then Gaius posts his piece up, it's established he would be the second in the order of writing. Then if nobody else is writing their introductory, I will start off the story "for realz", as you young hipsters seem to call in now-a-days, in the introductory piece, which would establish me as the third in order. Then nobody's left right? Well, here's where dice comes in. We shall roll, and who gets the higher numbers gets pushed to behind and lower numbers to the front.

So, it would be like, Angu rolls 2, hypo rolls 6, Maugan rolls 3, the order would be Angu -> Maugan -> hypo.

No questions so far?

Each writer will have total of 9 days to submit his piece (during summer) after the previous author's post. When fall comes and school starts again for some people, the days will be increased to accomodate that. I strongly recommend finish writing in 7 days, send it to the next writer in line, so he can start a bit early, and then edit/add on for 2 more days. It'll also probably be good to post earlier than that 9 day limit.

There will be 3 outcome should one unable to finish within the deadline.

1) We will skip his turn
2) If we know of his conditions before hand, or he asks for extension of day or two, so shall it be.
3) We will ask to post the incomplete/short work, however short it may be.

Any concerns?
Geradin

PreviousNext

Return to Board index

Return to Planning and Discussion Threads