The Naughty Little Woodpecker... [40K] [GS]

For convenient but separate story advertisement, planning and discussion threads.

The Naughty Little Woodpecker... [40K] [GS]

Postby Geradin » Sat Jun 25, 2011 7:59 am

(That's not really the title, but a provisional one.)

This is a 40K Group Story concerning the Inquisition.

The main plot of the story is really about internal politics and power struggle.

Enter our protagonist Inquisitor, whose sense of righteousness and justice is impeccable. Albeit he may be a bit socially gauche, but his will to see justice done cannot be matched.

Enter our antagonist Inquisitor, who is sly, decietful and so forth, but very suave and so forth.

Enter the centre of conflict, the position of Master Inquisitor or of similar equivalent or some higher depending on needed suitability. Both of our protagonist and antagonist inquisitors are essentially in competetion of the position. There are few other candidates, however, the real choice is clearly in between those two.

Spoiler: The antagonist Inquisitor wishes for the position to extent his own influence and achieve whatever goal he may have. The protagonist Inquisitor seeks to claim the position so the antagonist may not spread his posions. However, for our socially gauche protagonist, all this politicking and maneuvering does not go well for him. Slowly, he grows more pessimistic, bitter, angry and all that fun stuff, until he turns worse than the man he's trying to stop. (Happens slowly and relatively quietly)

Enter our writers, whose characters will be the retinue of our dear protagonist. We shall witness the events unfold.

Are you in? or are you out? (We will explain the details once people join up and the GS gets started)

Excluding I and my esteemed colleague, Colonel Mustard, we are looking for 2~3 people. The limit being 4.

- In spirit of Geradin&Colonel Mustard Partnership

Edit: Do you like what you see, my esteemed colleague?
He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. If you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you. - Friedrrich Nietzsche
Geradin

Re: The Naughty Little Woodpecker... [40K] [GS]

Postby Colonel Mustard » Sat Jun 25, 2011 4:15 pm

All approved, Geradin, and nothing much to add except to say; sign up!
Colonel Mustard

Postby Anguipes » Sun Jun 26, 2011 9:30 am

If you don't mind a GS noob, sign me up.
Despise also all cowards; professional soldiers who dare not fight, but play; all fools despise! But the keen and the proud, the royal and the lofty; ye are brothers! As brothers fight ye! ~ Horus
Anguipes

Postby Stuart000X » Sun Jun 26, 2011 2:46 pm

I'll pitch myself into this project.
Stuart000X

Postby Maugan Ra » Sun Jun 26, 2011 6:25 pm

Argh... too many projects, not enough time.... bah, it is an Inquisition political story, I shall MAKE time. Somehow. So yeah, sign me up.
Maugan, your slow descent into madness is starting to look more like a BASE jump...
- Rahvin

The 210th Cadian - Tanks, heavy weapons, and an ongoing hatred of Land Raiders.
W: 41
D: 6
L: 14
Maugan Ra

Postby Stuart000X » Sun Jun 26, 2011 8:36 pm

Depending on what the general idea and goal of the story is, I have an idea for a quirky little character I have in mind, one that both helps the Inquistior without overshadow him.
Stuart000X

Postby Maugan Ra » Sun Jun 26, 2011 8:45 pm

Incidently, I think I have an idea for my character already. I'd like to write for a Tech-Priest, as the Mechanicus are wonderful folks to write about. And the idea of a character who approaches politiking and social manipulation with a cold, clinical mindset appeals to me.
Maugan, your slow descent into madness is starting to look more like a BASE jump...
- Rahvin

The 210th Cadian - Tanks, heavy weapons, and an ongoing hatred of Land Raiders.
W: 41
D: 6
L: 14
Maugan Ra

Postby Anguipes » Sun Jun 26, 2011 8:54 pm

...and I'd like to know what branch of the Inquistion I'll be dealing with before I solidify character ideas.

*runs back to the noob corner*
Despise also all cowards; professional soldiers who dare not fight, but play; all fools despise! But the keen and the proud, the royal and the lofty; ye are brothers! As brothers fight ye! ~ Horus
Anguipes

Postby Geradin » Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:01 am

I was thinking of Ordo Malleus, unless my esteemed colleague has a different idea. (We didn't discuss this beforehand.)

So, since we have Maugan, Stuar and Angu, which is 3 people, I think we are good.

I will post later today of details, what I and my good sir, Mustard, have not worked out yet, we can discuss as we go along.

Edit: Pardon me, my colleague-would-bes, I had a cut on my finger and was not dispositioned to be able to type at my usual speed.

Anyways, if the little summary above did not give you the general plot line idea, it'll be like this.

The story would most likely start off as when we're just returning from a Inqusitorial mission for people to soak in the characters before hitting them with description of Sector's Inquisitorial Conclave, antagonist, the open position, which our P&A will try to fight over and whole bunch of fun stuff.

After that, we shall go on bunch of adventures, all in relation to stopping/exposing our antagonist's misdeeds, personal missions and orders from the above. This may happen in variety of places under variety of circumstances.

Yaddi-Yaddi-Yaddah, world goes on. However, as this internal battle for the position continues, our protagonist realizes his support base is small and weak, compared to his rivals', and naturally, it goes bad for him. Our protagonist inquisitor knows he is doing the right thing and more competent one, but as things keep going bad for him, he grows bitter, angry, cynical and all that fun stuff. Things continue to deteriorate, yaddi-yaddah, until our protagonist finally becomes even worse than the man he's trying to stop, antagonist rises to the higher position and naturally, our protagonist is going to be tried to be rubbed out. Secretly.

Ending is not decided yet. Does this clear the air for you? Or should I go into more details?

By the way, I strongly suggest everyone to post what archeo-type your character would be (Doesn't need to be fully fleshed out, just short description of archeo-type, please). After all, we don't want to have redundant characters, no?
He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. If you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you. - Friedrrich Nietzsche
Geradin

Postby Stuart000X » Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:54 am

The general description of my character is a wizened, grey old man with a beard. Often he is poked fun at because of his small stature; the most common nickname he earns to his annoyance is “the dwarf”.

However, appearances can be deceiving. A non-combatant, many have often becomes the victims of ignorance and stupidity, their guard lowered to allow “the dwarf” to wreak revenge on his tormentors, through, not physical violence, but with cunning intelligence. It is with great horror and surprise that his tormentors will discover the damage he has done, the results either ending with them bankrupt, imprisoned, and/or killed by another’s hands.

Intelligence is his weapon of choice, and amongst other places, he enjoys researching and learning things, making him an asset to anyone requiring someone with a brain-box of information and knowledge.
Stuart000X

Postby Geradin » Thu Jun 30, 2011 3:00 am

I am thinking about developing my character as...

A sort of generic battle-oriented character.

A former member of Arbites from the Marshals Branch. An average sized man with well-toned body, but not muscly.

He is well versed in matters of/in/around Hive World, jaded, pessimistic and suffers from Depression. He is also well versed in various Martial Arts and is pretty good at fighting.

Pretty uninspiring, generic and un-orignial character, right? Don't worry, I planned him out this way for a purpose and plan to go somewhere from here.

(I really hope I see other people's characters, too!)

Edit: (After everybody posts the general description of the character, we will post on the full bio and start on the story, and we shall discuss the endings and other few stuffs as we start the story.)
Geradin

Postby Colonel Mustard » Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:40 pm

Hmm, basic character is, at the moment, a sweary, acidicly tempered, mysogonistic Pyrokine (perhaps with some skill as an Augur) with a greater love of fire than is really considered socially appropriate and a cheerful disregard for what is usually considered polite. I could probably say that his rather abrasive attitude to things is because of his tough upbringing on the Black Ships and how he's afraid of people getting close to him etc. but really, I'm going to go out on a limb and just say that he's a bit of an arse. He also uses his talents to cheat at cards on a regular basis, and seems to take a rather casual attitude to death, but also seems to be rather uncomfortable with the idea of indiscriminate murder or things such as exterminatus, or things that are generally considered evil. In short, he's more nefarious than he is downright nasty.

He's still a bit of a dick, though.
Colonel Mustard

Postby Geradin » Sat Jul 02, 2011 1:26 am

Did Maugan and Angu just go AWOL...?

In any case, we're looking to recruit up to 3 more people in this group.

I'm worried about some of the things....

(And I guess we can start posting up full bios now.)
Geradin

Postby Stuart000X » Sat Jul 02, 2011 9:20 am

This is my character.

Name: Garrandus Juliop

Previous Occupation: Librarius Curator

Appearance: Old, wizened, and short, around five foot five. Garrandus boasts a fluffy white beard that lines across his upper lip and down the side of his cheeks before connecting at his chin. Both his hair and beard is unkempt.

Attire: Garrandus’ general clothing consists of what an average civilian wears on a gamma world, altering to the trends of that particular civilised world. For personal reasons, Garrandus wears a tarboosh, a purple cylinder cone-shape hat that has a black tassel dangling from the side of it.

General Background: Garrandus Juliop was born into a merchant family. He spent his early years travelling with his family across star systems. As Garrandus became increasingly expose to the galaxy at large, his eagerness for learning and exploring fast became a life long ambition. When landing on another planet, Garrandus would it his mission to learn all he can of that world’s culture, customs, and sometimes, languages and dialects.

Time passed, and eventually Garrandus settled down on a world known as Bzar. Commissioned to be a Librarius Curator, Garrandus was tasked with the head position of a grand library. Twenty-five thousand books at his disposal, and Garrandus made sure that these pieces of history and works remained safe in his charge.

It was during this period that Garrandus’ first came into contact with the Inquisition. On one day during his routine overseeing of the grand library, two men rushed into the grand library, one running from the other.

Running down many book aisles, the two headed up to the cloisters overlooking the library below. The two clashed with fists, the two wrestling each other with fury and desperation.

Grappling with one another, one pushed the other over the railings, but not before he was grabbed and pulled along with him. Dangling over the marble floors below, the man’s grip slackened, it slipping from the metal bars before it being grabbed by another.

Preventing him from falling to his death, Garrandus pulled the man back over the railing and to safety.

Giving his thanks, Garrandus learnt that he was an Inquisitor hunting a lead on investigation. Given the opportunity to become part of his team, Garrandus accepted, the first step in his life long connection with the Inquisition.
Stuart000X

Postby hypomaniac » Sun Jul 03, 2011 5:55 am

If you're still accepting applicants, I would like to propose a character from Stormtrooper roots. Very charismatic, handsome and, above all else, battle tested. He used to be part of an elite task force, where he had been trained in several skills such as: piloting; marksmanship with pistols and rifles; blending in with the populace and several other sneaky type things. He's the last survivor of his squad, being drafted by the Inquisition after a rather chaotic encounter with a rebellion leader.

I figure he could fulfill the Retinue's need for a pilot and marksman. He'd lack psychic talents and would be one of the younger members.
hypomaniac

Postby Geradin » Sun Jul 03, 2011 8:53 am

Just fire up the bio and you'll be good to go, hypo.

Edit: I will be posting a bit of information about our protagonist and antagonist Inquisitors along with my bio, so mine will be dealyed a bit.
Geradin

Postby Anguipes » Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:38 pm

I am still around, honestly. :oops: Full bio coming up when I'm not exhausted, but for now thinking of a young-ish soror from one of the non-millitant orders (maybe Dialogous or Famulous). Very prim and proper, at least on the surface, belying her passionate faith and capacity for cold ruthlessness against enemies of the Imperial faith.
Anguipes

Postby hypomaniac » Sun Jul 03, 2011 10:55 pm

Here you go

Name: Adrien Gray

Previous Occupations: Stormtrooper, Pilot and Insurgent

Personality: Outgoing, charismatic, humorous and, above all, honest. Takes most things lightly but knows when to be serious and get the job done.

Appearance: 5’ 10”; hazel eyes; short, dirty blond; lean, muscular build; and stays clean shaven

Equipment: Usual civilian clothes when not on missions- wears Carapace for that- and always carries an autopistol with him at all times. His preference for solid slugs extends to his heavily modified sniper rifle; it has reduced flash, sound and enhanced accuracy over the usual standard rifle. He tends to have a pair of large lensed glare shades, think aviators, wherever he goes.

Specialty: Adrien is an expert marksman with both his rifle and pistol. He also is a certified pilot for most atmospheric and void based craft. Often seen in local pubs and dive-bars getting any information he can on the area he’s operating in.

General Background: Adrien Gray hails from the elite stormtrooper cadre of Caladus. During his last mission, his squad was tasked with a whole stormtrooper strike force, headed by an Ordo Malleus inquisitor, given the express orders to kill everything in their way to get to a corrupted Planetary Governor. The ending showdown saw twenty stormtroopers face off against the newly possessed Governor.

An expertly placed shot from Adrien destroyed the minor demon’s skull, allowing the Inquisitor to take advantage of the demon’s lowered defenses and banish the spawn back into the warp. Being the last of the stormtroopers alive, the inquisitor felt it would be a waste to execute the soldier and instead offered him a position with the Inquisition.

Faced with a pretty obvious choice, Adrien accepted. He’s been tasked to many inquisitors functioning as a pilot and extra muscle when needed. Recently, though, his stay has become more permanent with our protagonist inquisitor.

His relatively pleasant and honest demeanor sees him rubbing elbows with many of the more serious members of both the retinue and the inquisition.
hypomaniac

Postby Geradin » Mon Jul 04, 2011 12:12 am

No problem, Angu. Just remeber to come back, check/comment on the thread regualrly.

Seconded to a major branch by minor branch of Inquisition. Very interesting. I like how you think, mate.
Geradin

Postby Anguipes » Mon Jul 04, 2011 1:12 pm

Will do, Ger. :) Here, have a bio:

Name: Paula Hieronymos

Appearance: 5' 7”, brown eyes, shoulder length black hair, devotional fluer-de-lis tatoo on left cheek. Keeps a neat, orderly appearance and wears modest robes befitting a convent sister. Generally with basic body armour underneath when in the field.

Previous Occupation: Sister of the Adepta Sororitas, Order of the Holy Word (Order Dialogous)

Personality: Pious and a little distant, but highly intelligent and capable of being surprisingly practical when the need arises. Can put on an excellent front of being a wide-eyed, naïve convent girl, leaving even those who know her occasionally unprepared for her cutting insight or ability to both deal with and mete out shocking violence in the line of duty.

Abilities: Trained translator and interpreter, and also well versed in her Order's techniques for picking up new languages, codes and ciphers after only a limited amount of exposure. Can lip-read. Since joining the Inquisition has learned ceremonies of holy warding, banishment, and purification. As a sister in the Adepta Sororitas she has some basic combat training in unarmed, blade, and pistol combat, though nothing on a par with a member of the Orders Militant.

Background:

Paula started life as a foundling, left to the Convent of the Holy Name on the γ-class world of Allend VI.
As with all the convent's foundlings, she took the name Hieronymos and was trained in the ways of the Orders Dialogous, learning to speak and translate innumerable Imperial dialects, slang, scriptural codes and even some xenos tongues.

Paula's life was uneventful until she was commissioned by a minor noble, Lord Rithe, to translate a text in an ancient and cryptic form of High Gothic. This turned out to be a commentary on a tome of daemonic lore; after amassing sufficient proof of the heretical nature of the work Paula alerted her superiors.

It was quickly concluded that such a brazenly foolish act of heresy could only come from a minor member of a cult that had lingered long enough, and come close enough to its goals, to become complacent. The arrival of the Inquisition by request of the convent Prioress caused the power structure of the cult to fracture, leaving a myriad of openly warring factions calling on whatever sorcerous and daemonic aid they could against both the Inquisition and each other.

When a cabal of the cult's former leaders discovered their undoing was in Lord Rithe's foolish attempt to gain greater knowledge of their secrets, he was dispatched to take vengeance on the convent – after having been forcibly possessed. The former noble slaughtered all in its path as it headed for the convent, with an Inquisitorial retinue in hot pursuit.

Eventually the daemon reached the chambers of confinement where Paula had been secluded in prayer since alerting her Prioress to the nature of the text she had been given. There were no eyewitnesses to what exactly occurred, but Paula was said to have banished the daemon with a single word.

Officially, Paula was taken into Inquisitorial custody, giving her the opportunity to slip away from the convent before her superiors could render judgment as to whether this was a divine act or a sign that she had been corrupted by exposure to unholy texts.
Anguipes

Next

Return to Board index

Return to Planning and Discussion Threads