Tide of Damnation

For convenient but separate story advertisement, planning and discussion threads.

Re: Tide of Damnation

Postby Commander Shadow » Tue May 31, 2011 3:23 am

Sounds good too me. In response to something said earlier, this could lead to LeVan trying to preserve a large body of his men, seeing as they've been through the grinder for 6 months or so before the "cavalry" rides over the hill so to speak.

LeVan himself isn't the commander of the Fenn regiments, though i could write a minor character as a Lord Regent or something or other medieval sounding for their forces.
I have no problem with the plot as it stands so far, ready an willing to write my part :D

The Fenn regiments would be deployed at this point? shuttled down quickly to the planets where the hulks have crashed ( if this is the case) or just in darring moves (like deploying on the other side of the planet or whatnot
- And there arose from the abyss a terrible beast and the armies of man were laid low by the walls of the ancient city. The ground shook and the skies trembled and all knew as the beast had come forth and that the end of time was upon them.

"Shadow is always right, except when he tries to save his men from charging orks" - Ang
Commander Shadow

Postby Ghurlag » Thu Jun 02, 2011 7:22 pm

Other comments, people?

CS, my understanding is that the Fenn regiments are shipped in early, but I'm not sure where to. They seem too small to deal with the subsector-wide issues, so I think picking a planet (possibly two) where they are initially to be deployed would be best. It seems likely that the capital would be the first to receive aid. The indication was that aid (and our characters) started arriving around the 6 month mark, so you have roughly two months of leeway to alter what I described to how it suits your own ideas.

As the misty veil of Albion is cast aside, we turn our gaze to the war-torn island of Albany, where the Red King vies with his former master for the control of a realm in dire threat.
Ghurlag

Postby Commander Shadow » Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:25 am

I've got no problem with how the progression stands as it is.

so.... awful amount of traffic on this here site. Whats left before the writing begins?
- And there arose from the abyss a terrible beast and the armies of man were laid low by the walls of the ancient city. The ground shook and the skies trembled and all knew as the beast had come forth and that the end of time was upon them.

"Shadow is always right, except when he tries to save his men from charging orks" - Ang
Commander Shadow

Postby Maugan Ra » Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:50 pm

Don't think there's much left to decide, other than a more detailed plotline/writing schedule thing. My exams finished yesterday, so I'm now on holiday and with plenty of free time to get writing.

Related note, I think Rahmah or KT mentioned that they'd intended just to have this fight being over the capital planet of the subsector, not the subsector itself. Could one of them confirm, and if so, which are we going for? How large is this war going to be?
Maugan, your slow descent into madness is starting to look more like a BASE jump...
- Rahvin

The 210th Cadian - Tanks, heavy weapons, and an ongoing hatred of Land Raiders.
W: 41
D: 6
L: 14
Maugan Ra

Postby King Theasion » Sat Jun 04, 2011 2:02 pm

Sorry for my quietness folks. Had my final end of year exam yesterday and my sister also gave birth, so been rather busy. As it stands I think we just need to plot out section one. Working under the brief mentioned earlier what exactly do people invisage their characters doing at this point? Have a think and thens end the ideas to me, either via this or by IM which ever seems better at the time, and we'll try and work it into some core plot.

Also with LeVan, could he not be the only high ranking member of the Fenn regiments left, and thus gets promoted perhaps above what he should. We could use it to explain some of the tension that is caused. However if you'd rather not its up to you.

Since I've been away for a few days I may have missed an important point, I read through the thread but my memory is far from perfect. If anyone has a very pressing matter raise it with me, if you would.
King Theasion

Postby Commander Shadow » Sat Jun 04, 2011 10:59 pm

I had envisioned there to be some sort of Baron-General or somewhat heading the forces. He can be killed though, thus creating a power vacum that LeVan fills on the capital world. I envisioned the fenn regiments to be deployed there, to "hold the line".

Commander Shadow

Postby Mossy Toes » Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:33 pm

Wait, I get it--the story is going to be like Space Marine (orks invade a world, with chaos manipulating and looming from the background), only instead of 4 space marines, you have millions of guardsmen...
What sphinx of plascrete and adamantium bashed open their skulls and ate up their brains and imagination? Imperator!
Mossy Toes

Postby Commander Shadow » Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:54 pm

except possibly the graphics will be better

Commander Shadow

Postby Ghurlag » Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:14 pm

[cheese] We are running it on the greatest graphical display in the world - the human imagination! [/cheese]

As the misty veil of Albion is cast aside, we turn our gaze to the war-torn island of Albany, where the Red King vies with his former master for the control of a realm in dire threat.
Ghurlag

Postby Maugan Ra » Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:19 am

Carson ran for his life, sprinting down the palace steps like a man with all the daemons of hell at his back. The small message cylinder with which he had been entrusted was clutched tightly in one hand, his gleaming metal fingers exerting a far firmer hold on it than weak flesh ever could. Up ahead, two members of the palace guard turned at the sound of rapid footsteps on the flagstones, matt black rifles swinging around in instinctive response. Beyond them, the gleaming metal spikes that made up the perimeter fence loomed menacingly. Pneumatic inserts in Carson's legs activated with a quiet hiss and suddenly he was flying....

He hit the ground on the other side of the fence with considerable force, tucking into a roll that conserved momentum and kept the cylinder protected by as much of his body as possible. With practised grace he returned to his feet and kept sprinting, rapidly plotting out the best possible route to his destination. Getting there was all that mattered – survival was a secondary concern.

Up ahead, the crowds of civilians saw him coming and parted like water, some of them crushing their neighbours against the surrounding buildings in their haste. Carson supposed it was the uniform – on Hartok, no one interfered with someone bearing the black armband and the personal crest of the governor. They knew the punishment such an act would entail.

Carson kept running, vaulting over parked vehicles and straight through the middle of busy highways without pause, trusting in his extensive bionics to protect him in the event that one of the drivers reacted too slowly to his sudden appearance. His masters had invested no small amount of resources in him, preparing him for this when this day inevitably arrived, and he was determined not to disappoint them.

He had to reach the General. Nothing else mattered.

Seras Winter was eating her dinner when the courier stumbled into her dining hall and thrust the small, innocuous looking message cylinder at him.

“Orders from the Citadel, ma'am General.” he rasped out between great, heaving breaths. She set the cutlery carefully down by the side of her plate and rose to her feet smoothly, catching sight of her staff loitering nervously in the corridor outside. Normally she would have chastised them for not alerting her to an important arrival, but this was a special case.

“I accept these Orders and so relieve you of your burden, Herald.” She said, the formal words coming to mind with an air of comfortable familiarity, taking the message cylinder from his shaking hands. She knew the Heralds were known to make use of powerful stimulants in the pursuit of her duties, and wondered if the trembling was a side-effect. Of course, it might just be fatigue – the man looked to have virtually killed himself with the speed of his journey, and there was a rather nasty looking dent in his left leg that spoke of an unfortunate collision along the way.

She pressed a bare thumb against the small pad on one end of the cylinder, ignoring the faint prick of pain as it extracted a droplet of her blood. After a few moments, the complex logic-circuits in the lock decided that she was indeed the intended recipient, and the cylinder promptly ejected a sheet of fine parchment from its interior. It bore a few simple sentences inscribed in golden ink and was signed with the personal mark of the Lord Governor himself. Winter scanned the message quickly, her hard green eyes flickering back and forth, and felt a vicious smile creep across her features.

“Herald, I entrust you with a sacred task.” She said, not taking her eyes off of the parchment. “Deliver my words to Warden-Commander Trask of the 18th, and Warden-Commander Bastille of the 23rd. Deliver them with haste and accuracy, lest your life be forfeit for failing in your duty.”

The Herald straightened up, controlling his rapid breathing through some trick of focus his kind doubtlessly learned though tradition as much as necessity. “What words shall I bear, Warden-General?”

“Olynthus has been invaded. Muster the legions – the Hartokii are going to war.”
Maugan, your slow descent into madness is starting to look more like a BASE jump...
- Rahvin

Maugan Ra

Postby Maugan Ra » Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:25 am

Fairly short introductory piece there, which I intend to expand in a bit with a piece showing the Hartokii mustering their soldiers and boarding their transports. I'll probably use it to introduce Winter's character a bit more, along with the mindset of the Hartokii as a whole.

Anyway. Now, I think we've got enough of the first details of the story worked out to produce a proper plan for the first section, which I'll get to working on tomorrow. Then we can dispute the exact details and get to writing this thing.
- Rahvin

Maugan Ra

Postby Ghurlag » Fri Jun 10, 2011 3:36 pm

Nice snapshot, Maugan. From the looks of things the Hartokii don't have much of a 'modern' communications network, and have something of a tradition-bound culture. They're going to be key to this story (a sizeable portion of the mobilized Guard regiments, if I remember correctly, not to mention what happens to them), so it'll be interesting to see more of them.

I'll write up an introduction for Boehmer tonight, covering how the Inquisition learned of the attack.

Ghurlag

Postby Maugan Ra » Fri Jun 10, 2011 4:25 pm

I actually imagined that they do have a fairly decent communications network, but tradition demands that mobilisation orders be delivered by the Heralds. A completely archaic and inefficient system, all things considered, but somehow it fits right in with the 41st millenium...
- Rahvin

Maugan Ra

Postby Ghurlag » Fri Jun 10, 2011 5:19 pm

Ah, I see, ceremonial necessity. Yes, it does fit very well.

Ghurlag

Postby Commander Shadow » Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:29 pm

it really looks great maugan. should we all work up openers?

Commander Shadow

Postby LordLucan » Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:34 pm

I will when I have an idea what is needed from my infiltrator character. I sort of need to know more of a plan, as my guy would presumably be key to the chaos infestation.
Check out my debut fantasy novel from Fox Spirit Books, The Hobgoblin's Herald (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hobgoblins-Herald-R-Aston/dp/1910462047). If you've read it, please rate and review it on amazon; I'd be eternally grateful. The sequel, Eater of Names, is out in 2018, so watch this space.
LordLucan

Postby Rhamah » Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:11 pm

Hoo, boy. Where to start...

Folks, I hope you're still alive out there. I have an opening post done and ready to roll, and to get the cogs turning for now, seeing how it's been a while since either myself or KT posted, here's a preliminary posting order.

Myself.
Maugan.
Shadow.
Ghurlag.
Lord Lucan.
King Theasion.
Stuart.

How's that sound to everyone? If good, fine. If not... *pats broadsword*

First posts - introductions of your respective characters, much like Maugan has done above. Once first round is done, a basic plan for the next round will be posted.

Any problems or questions, drop me a line. KT will be busy for a little while, so don't send him any questions unless you're willing to wait a week or two.

Story thread: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=790
The Tyrant Reborn.
Maugan Ra wrote:It is not wise to antagonise Rhamah, unless you're planning to leave the country in the near future. Via catapult.

The Ordo Off-Topicus, back from the dead!
Rhamah

Postby Ghurlag » Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:45 am

Aha! To begin the questioning: are the named planets in the same system, or do they have their own systems? It seems to be a bit of both in your initial post. Essentially what I want to find out is if we're planning to use the initial history scrap I drew up or not - I'm happy either way, I just want to be clear.

Ghurlag

Postby Maugan Ra » Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:10 am

I am fine with that order, and nice starting piece. I'll tear myself away from my new addiction to Minecraft long enough to get the rest of my starting piece written, then post it up.
- Rahvin

Maugan Ra

Postby Commander Shadow » Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:29 am

I'm sure i can tear myself from Dagorhir work and writing to contribute, but oh what a struggle that shall be :D

Nah i'm in. Good on the order. Lets rock and roll

Commander Shadow

PreviousNext

Return to Board index

Return to Planning and Discussion Threads