Tide of Damnation

For convenient but separate story advertisement, planning and discussion threads.

Re: Tide of Damnation

Postby Mossy Toes » Sun May 29, 2011 8:47 am

There's a ratio off here, somewhere. I mean, 90000000 guardsmen who join the chaos army...a chaos army whose core is, guesstimating, 300 Astartes. How can chaos be a credible threat if they're outnumbered 30,000:1 by the people who join them, let alone the rest of the Imperial defenses?
What sphinx of plascrete and adamantium bashed open their skulls and ate up their brains and imagination? Imperator!
Mossy Toes

Postby Maugan Ra » Sun May 29, 2011 11:13 am

This is also true. Rhamah, you explain, I'm tired and distracted...
Maugan, your slow descent into madness is starting to look more like a BASE jump...
- Rahvin

The 210th Cadian - Tanks, heavy weapons, and an ongoing hatred of Land Raiders.
W: 41
D: 6
L: 14
Maugan Ra

Postby Mossy Toes » Sun May 29, 2011 11:25 am

I know that traditionally, Space Marines don't get involved in protracted, gruelling slugfests; that they are a rapid strike force, meant to smash, grab, and be extracted. Still, if the Chaos force is that tiny, with only some mutant abominations for support...the Orkoid menace might have to be a much larger role in the fighting, rendering chaos almost an afterthought, except the most key battles.
What sphinx of plascrete and adamantium bashed open their skulls and ate up their brains and imagination? Imperator!
Mossy Toes

Postby Mossy Toes » Sun May 29, 2011 11:36 am

I'm just recommending that, I don't know, we have a few million cultists, too, and tone down the numbers of the Winter Lady's troops to somewhere in the 9-20 million range. Maybe even more--just have the orks kill them off down into that range before she turns to chaos...

And keep in mind for your projection of an 88 million-strong army on earth: all those armies from all those nations are built up because they're deadlocked in soft arms races against each other. The Imperium has no need to maintain a standing army of a large fraction of any given world's population, apart from defense reasons: far more likely that most of the regiments founded would be shipped off into the meat grinder of the galaxy-at-large. After all, the PDF are really just an ablative shield meant to slow down any invasion long enough for Guard and Space Marines to arrive. I know, the Hartokii aren't the PDF, so I rambled off to the side a bit, but... :oops:
Mossy Toes

Postby Stuart000X » Sun May 29, 2011 11:52 am

This is what I've come up with.

Name: Fieriou “One-Eye” Yiloio

Alternative Titles: The Scourge of Scourges.

Unit Allocation: Cavalry/Dragoon

Armaments: Laspistol and powersabre

Steed: Warpath

Background:

Born onto the steppes of Yyvian, Fieriou is the son of the wild horsemen that rule its landscape. Learning to ride on horseback at the same time as he could walk, Fieriou is a master with a steed between his thighs and a sabre in his hands, leading countless raids and hunting parties.

Enlisting with the Imperial Guard, Fieriou has carried on his tradition of horseback fighting even beyond his home world, and into the greater steppes of space itself.

Forty-five years later, and Fieriou is undisputedly one of the most skilled rider ever known.

Black as night save for the patches of red on its face and ankles, Warpath has proven to be Fieriou’s most able and sturdiest of steeds he has ridden on, each fighting together on battlefields for the past fourteen years. As of late, however, the pair sustained their most devastating attack.

The victims of a mortar round, Fieriou’s left eye was to shrapnel, while Warpath lost three of its four legs. With some reluctance and argument with the upper echelons of command, Warpath was granted the unusual request of augmentation. Unable and unwilling to be separated from his mount; Fieriou’s steed was brought back from the brink of death with the wonders of machinery. Now sporting three bionic legs, armour planting on its flanks, and on the side of its cranium, Warpath is as every bit of a terrifying image as its namesake suggests as it gallops on piston power as well as horse.

When Fieriou rides into battle on his steed, the enemy are presented with an unholy sight of a rider riding out of a cloud of steam from his mount. With a bionic red eye, the enemy risk losing their limbs to the chomping teeth of Warpath as it charges towards them, the red electrical charge of Fieriou’s powersabre the last sight they see.
Stuart000X

Postby Rhamah » Sun May 29, 2011 3:44 pm

Mossy Toes wrote:There's a ratio off here, somewhere. I mean, 90000000 guardsmen who join the chaos army...a chaos army whose core is, guesstimating, 300 Astartes. How can chaos be a credible threat if they're outnumbered 30,000:1 by the people who join them, let alone the rest of the Imperial defenses?

Because Chaos is not on the frontlines. Hell, the Sons won't see much in the way of direct combat. Rhamah's not here to throw his soldiers at the Imperium.

The hulks that have been hurled at these worlds were teeming with xenos. Rhamah's using them to tie up the Imperial forces for his own purposes. The Sons of Murder are not here to simply get 'stuck in'. Rhamah wants something, and he needs the Imperium to be rather distracted before acting. The first time Chaos is even noticed in the sub-sector is when Winter, under fierce scrutiny and adversity from the rest of the Imperial forces, turns against them. The first time Chaos will be seen directly is when the Sons assist her in regrouping her now independant forces.

Thus, by the time Chaos has made it's move, the ratio is somewhat a little more balanced. And the xenos threat will still remain. It will become a war on several fronts. Genestealers in the settlements, orks on the frontlines, and Chaos striking from unexpected quarters.

And don't forget. Chaos is what delivered the hulks in the first place. That makes them credible enough a threat, I think.
The Tyrant Reborn.
Maugan Ra wrote:It is not wise to antagonise Rhamah, unless you're planning to leave the country in the near future. Via catapult.

The Ordo Off-Topicus, back from the dead!
Rhamah

Postby Commander Shadow » Sun May 29, 2011 3:54 pm

a couple of things

Stu: i like your character, shows the diversity of the imperium's fighting forces.

in terms of inhabiteted systems, two uncontested ones would seem alright to me. A sort of staging ground and rallying point for the IG, IN, and whatever other forces there are, as well as a sort of "rear area" where chaos infiltrators can have most of their scene.

I was just wondering, perhaps 88 million guardsmen could be the overall campaign? Maybe tone down General Winter's complement to maybe twenty or so guardsmen, the Fenn regiments around ten (with their own separate General, probably titled something knightly like Lord Commander X ), and then Stu's dragoon regiments. These could be fighting together as part of the battle group under command of Winter, directed from afar by KT's character who is dealing with the massive war as a whole from some command bunker thingy back on a planet in the uncontested zones.

This way we could give scope to the overall conflict without getting lost across vast expanses of space. 6 hulks, maybe a small flotila of other ork vessels, and perhaps up the number of chao's followers just a bit? i'm not saying full out blood pack like the Sabbat worlds but maybe human mercs who don't really know who they're fighting for (they think its the Imperium) or larger groups of mutants and various chaosy things. The pivotal events could happen where Lady Winter's battle group is slogging it across some world when all the crap goes down. Maybe even the Imperial forces are pushed back to where KT's guy is, they still have a chance of winning the war, and then that whole pride thing comes in.

Apart from that i thouroughly like [the idea] of Knight-Commander LeVan's perhaps misogynist view on life. Adds a sort of bad streak to someone who's supposed to be chivalrous.
- And there arose from the abyss a terrible beast and the armies of man were laid low by the walls of the ancient city. The ground shook and the skies trembled and all knew as the beast had come forth and that the end of time was upon them.

"Shadow is always right, except when he tries to save his men from charging orks" - Ang
Commander Shadow

Postby Ghurlag » Sun May 29, 2011 4:30 pm

On the Chaos front: Chaos has, and will always be, a moral threat first and foremost. Thus the psychological campaign designed to turn the Hartokii, one of the most significant forces in the area, to Rhamah's purposes. That said, in order to influence the tide of the war across the subsector, Rhamah would need more than an elite squad - Chaos Marines aren't very circumspect, and LordLucan's character can hardly be everywhere at once.

However, I think we're overlooking the obvious when it comes to this. Think about it. Eight systems worth of humanity. Eight systems full of slums and underhivers and people feeling repressed by the Imperium. Somewhere, in each of these worlds, there will be a group of people so bitter that they would turn to any power to help them express their wrath. I'm talking, of course, about Chaos cultists - not brought with Rhamah, not aware of him, not even aware of each other, but already in place on each of the worlds in the subsector.

I'm not talking about an army. They are neither united nor well-equipped enough for that.These people can't face up to the Guard in a field battle. But that's not what Rhamah would want. He's already thrown the Orks into the mix for that. What he needs is saboteurs. People who will start a fire in the munitions factory. People who will cut the fuel lines on the armoured vehicles shipping out to the front, stab drunken Guard officers in an alleyway. These people already exist, all they need is someone to slither and slide his way into their secret dark places and instruct them. And maybe that shipment heading to the Hartokii troops doesn't get tampered with. Well, of course, think the Hartokii. Our guards are simply better than the rest. What are they complaining about anyway? And then the muttering begins.

As the misty veil of Albion is cast aside, we turn our gaze to the war-torn island of Albany, where the Red King vies with his former master for the control of a realm in dire threat.
Ghurlag

Postby LordLucan » Sun May 29, 2011 7:09 pm

I was thinking that one of the hives has an asylum, where harsh electrocution-treatment is being used to try and force orthodoxy upon criminals and degenerates (and if they fail, criminals are taken for execution). Slithiziir could infiltrate and stage a jailbreak amongst the electronically tortured psychotics, who are let loose upon the populace at large.

Plus, maybe there are arco-flaggelant workshops somewhere that could be... compromised...
Check out my debut fantasy novel from Fox Spirit Books, The Hobgoblin's Herald (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hobgoblins-Herald-R-Aston/dp/1910462047). If you've read it, please rate and review it on amazon; I'd be eternally grateful. The sequel, Eater of Names, is out in 2018, so watch this space.
LordLucan

Postby Maugan Ra » Sun May 29, 2011 8:11 pm

In some ways, the idea of Rhamah bringing down a subsector (or getting a good shot at it in any case) through guile and manipulation rather than brute force makes him much more dangerous than any roaring warlord. Still, could work either way.
Maugan, your slow descent into madness is starting to look more like a BASE jump...
- Rahvin

The 210th Cadian - Tanks, heavy weapons, and an ongoing hatred of Land Raiders.
W: 41
D: 6
L: 14
Maugan Ra

Postby Commander Shadow » Sun May 29, 2011 9:12 pm

all that sounds great. i was just still unsure as to where the fighting is taking place within the subsector as a whole.

You've mentioned hives, but which hives is LL's man infiltrating and why? is it a hive world? is it an industrial world? where is it located in relation to the others?

are we agreed on 6-8 systems?
- And there arose from the abyss a terrible beast and the armies of man were laid low by the walls of the ancient city. The ground shook and the skies trembled and all knew as the beast had come forth and that the end of time was upon them.

"Shadow is always right, except when he tries to save his men from charging orks" - Ang
Commander Shadow

Postby Rhamah » Sun May 29, 2011 11:05 pm

Maugan Ra wrote:In some ways, the idea of Rhamah bringing down a subsector (or getting a good shot at it in any case) through guile and manipulation rather than brute force makes him much more dangerous than any roaring warlord.

That's exactly what he's planning to do.
The Tyrant Reborn.
Maugan Ra wrote:It is not wise to antagonise Rhamah, unless you're planning to leave the country in the near future. Via catapult.

Rhamah

Postby Commander Shadow » Mon May 30, 2011 3:15 am

great, so how are all the other characteres fitting into this? like KTs and Stu's and mine? and the inquisitor?

Commander Shadow

Postby Ghurlag » Mon May 30, 2011 2:08 pm

Here's how I see the story arcs tieing together at the moment. If I'm wrong, do tell me.

KT's character is the removed strategist, so it makes sense for his arc to focus on the overall state of the campaign. Initially this would focus on the deployment of forces against the Orks, but later it would start to reveal other issues as the saboteurs show their hands. I imagine him getting increasingly frustrated as his orders cease being properly carried out, resulting in a harsh attitude to any challenge to his authority from General Winter. As he's likely to be on one of the staging area worlds, it might be nice if that prison break LL mentioned also occurred there.

General Winter's future is pretty much mapped out, but I imagine that initially it would deal with Hartokii deployments and battles against the Orks - perhaps even on the tactical level - and then start to move into noting the increasing tension between Hartokii and other troops whilst the war continues, mounting it upwards until eventually her hand is forced by some baseless accusations, and she turns against her allies.

Stuart and Shadow, I see your roles as being similar - you'd be exploring the particular battlefields your characters get deployed on (different worlds?), and their personal motivations as they deal with an overwhelming xenos threat and increasing troubles with supplies; maybe even noting some of that animosity towards the Hartokii. For example, Shadow, is your character more concerned with preserving the last of the Fen Rifles than holding back the xenos for his new General? I also imagine we'd get a good deal of the frontline combat from your two characters.

Boehmer's role is really to aid in exposing and elaborating on the psychology and the motivation of the Ork horde during that doomed seige I mentioned, eventually (as the hive goes under) coming to the discovery that they were prompted into this invasion by a trick of Chaos.

Slithiziir is there to show us the infiltration and the methods of Chaos - he seems to be leading that part of Slithiziir's campaign by activating the Chaos cults, impersonating officers and generally being a nuisance. However, he's also going to be on the lookout for ways to gain the upper hand against Rhamah, going from some of LL's earlier comments.

And Rhamah is... Rhamah. He'll be pursuing whatever evil ends he's after here, outlining the Chaos campaign in a secretive parallel to KT's character.

As the misty veil of Albion is cast aside, we turn our gaze to the war-torn island of Albany, where the Red King vies with his former master for the control of a realm in dire threat.
Ghurlag

Postby LordLucan » Mon May 30, 2011 2:47 pm

Ghurlag: That works really well in my opinion.

Now I feel we should sketch out a more solid plan for the first part, and perhaps once that's done, we could organise some opening posts in a story thread maybe? That way we get use to eahc other's writing style, and we get to see all the characters involved in this story (as I bet we will have more characters than our bios show to be honest)
Check out my debut fantasy novel from Fox Spirit Books, The Hobgoblin's Herald (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hobgoblins-Herald-R-Aston/dp/1910462047). If you've read it, please rate and review it on amazon; I'd be eternally grateful. The sequel, Eater of Names, is out in 2018, so watch this space.
LordLucan

Postby Ghurlag » Mon May 30, 2011 3:12 pm

One quick thing before we do that, LL - can we get a common 'map' of the area? Y'know, name the eight systems and just briefly sketch what's in them/who might be there? I find it helps when I'm writing.

Ghurlag

Postby Rhamah » Mon May 30, 2011 7:05 pm

One thing, my fine fellows and friends, before we leap into these grand 'eight' systems.

Would it not be more prudent to lower the number of worlds we seem to be dealing with to a handful, with the ones not hit by hulks as the 'staging' ones? I mean, otherwise we don't give each world it's due attention.

Just a musing.
The Tyrant Reborn.

Rhamah

Postby Commander Shadow » Mon May 30, 2011 9:16 pm

were you thinking of having all most of the characters on one world? Or ship around Guant's Ghosts style?

We have eight systems to this subsector right? One of them is going to be the system's capital, at least one is going to be a hive world (LL mentioned this), several are going to be agri, and a few industrial. Unless anyone wants a deathworld that might sum it up.

Here are some suggestions

System capital- Olynthus Prime (industrialized world, has hives, shipyards, administratum base)

Bador II (industrialized World)

Haven (agri-world)

Voina (Hive World)

Thassia (Industrialized world)

Nummar (agri-world)

Ganamo (Industrialized World)

Elipsa (Industrialized World)

anythoughts?

Commander Shadow

Postby King Theasion » Tue May 31, 2011 1:02 am

Ok folks, sorry for the late reply. I've been mulling over troop deployements for the initial stage of the story, mostly with Maugan. An we think this's how it'll go to start with.

The planet will have been invaded by the Tide about six months before initial Imperial reinforcements arrive on scene. This has given the orks and genestealers time to multiply and grow stronger. Local PDF and hive militias will have been recruited and mobilised on mass, but wont have been suffient to destroy the invasion.

Initial reinforcements will comprise LeVan's 10 regiments. These will form the core devision of the first wave reinforcements, of abou 350-500,000 men, these are still inssuficient to drive back the orks, but LeVan can use his knwoledge of seigcraft to deploy to the most hard pressed world and hold the line.

The second wave will be larger, about 4-5 million. Two million will be the vanguard of Winters army. Immediate deployement however will still be heavily weakened by our need to reinforce depleted Hive defence forces (this is if we presume the bulk of the Tide has assaulted the planetary capitol and hive worlds). However, neither the Lord General or Winter are the type of people to settle for a grinding seige battle. Therefore, a second army will be massed under Winter, with a quarter of her force, about 10 devisions of mechanized and infantry troops. This will be a further 500,000 men, Stuart, you're men will also be here. It is at this point, LeVan will advance a defensive line to pin the advancing bulk of the ork armies in a dangerous position, at which point Winter will launch a counter attack, crushing the van of the ork force against LeVans defences, in a classic and decisive Hammer and Anvil strike. A third army, of 500,000 men, will be held in reserve, under the command of an NPC who is with the Lord General.

After this victory our characters can take a pause, and think upon plot points which will have been leaked throughout this first section (when me and Rhamah smooth out how exactly we'll be doing it), also, we think the victory would serve as a good start point for the fueding between the ranks. With Winter and LeVan trying to 'take too much credit' off each other for the victory, claiming they were the most important piece of the game.

In terms of actually writing the thing, we were thinking that Winters first section could be her preparing to deploy. The Lord General will be him overseeing the inital deployement of LeVans divisions. LeVans will be the the first hand account of these deployements. Stuart, for you I thought you could cover your own characters preparing for deployement too, which would give a good contrast from Winters PoV since your character is lower down in the ranks. On the Chaos matter, I'll speak to Rhamah and LL to find out the initial phase of their scheme and try and weave it together with what we've already got.

And of course, the plans aren't set in stone. If anyone sees a major flaw, wants a major change e.t.c, just say.
King Theasion

Postby Ghurlag » Tue May 31, 2011 2:45 am

KT: I assume you meant 'subsector' when you said planet?
Shadow, these look alright, though you seem to be naming them as if they were planets rather than systems.

To weave together the last two posts (with creative juices leaking) into a brief opening history:

0 Months: A fleet outpost in the Bador system is destroyed by the sudden emergence of four hulks. As they pass through the system, one of the hulks swings off-course and deploys an Ork army onto Bador II, capturing one of the seven key industrial sites on the planet. Bador's PDF mobilise, but lack the will for an offensive campaign. The hulks next appear in the neighbouring Haven system. Warned by their neighbours, the Haven authorities evacuate their upper classes and some of the major townships aboard vessels headed for Olynthus Prime. The majority of the rural populace is left undefended. Crude shuttles ferry Orks from all three of the hulks to Haven's surface, where they form roving motorised warbands and begin attacking village after village. The hulks move on to the Voina system, where they encounter their first organised naval resistance above Viona IV. The Imperial fleet manages to cripple one of the hulks, but is forced to flee due to heavy damages. The two functional hulks give chase, the third lists into a decaying orbit, and its occupants scatter across Voina IV's surface before it eventually crashes into a hive centre.

1 Month: On Bador II, the Orks strike at a second industrial site. The defenders are torn apart, but the commander gives the appropriate order and has the promethium facility torch itself rather than be captured. Sensing that the Orks may be weakened by this blunted assault, the other Bador sites pool their defensive forces and launch a strike. The force is horrifically cut down by the Ork warlord Blathar the Black. On Voina, desperate attempts begin to hunt down the scattered Orks before they can solidify into a significant force. The two hulks pursuing the Imperial Fleet reach Elipsa, where another brutal space battle sees the Imperial fleet's flagship destroyed. Orks deploy into Elipsa III's capitol and lunar settlement, slaughtering unprepared civillians before the defence forces can act. Olynthus Prime rallies all surviving naval power to itself in a bid to protect the capital (which is next in line). However, two new hulks are sighted in the Thassia system. Following a heavy orbital bombardment of Thassia II, one of the hulks disgorges a horde into the Thassian peaks.

2 Months: On Bador II, the warlord Blathar the Black takes two more of the key industrial centres in quick succession, the Magos of the second one fleeing to the untouched asteroid settlements. In Olynthus Prime, the naval forces muster to face the Ork hulks from Elipsa, but are caught unawares by the arrival of the two hulks from Thassia, which annhilate the settlements on Olynthus Septus (an inhabited moon further out-system). The fleet moves to enage, and in a blistering and daring battle, destroys the two hulks. Their victory is short-lived, as mere hours later the two hulks from Elipsa arrive. Seeing the impossibility of victory, some of the fleet mutinies and flees, the rest is torn apart. The two hulks land on Olynthus Prime.

3 Months: On Bador II, the remaining industrial centres prepare their meagre defences against the coming assaults of Blathar. On Haven, terror spreads as settlements are snuffed out one by one. On Voina IV, the efforts of the eradication squads become increasingly futile, and some of them start to disappear. Rumour spreads of a literal Ork giant on the planet. On Elipsa, the PDF do their best to contain the Ork threat to their world's former capital, whilst on Elipsa's moon the Orks begin a mysterious construction project. On Thassia, Orks rule the mountains, taking over the mines and settlements, and slowly spreading towards the vulnerable occupied areas. On Olynthus Prime, the Ork hordes push the local defenders back further and further as they spread from their downed vessels and head towards the rich bounty of the hives.

From what KT said, this about takes us to where our characters would start becoming active (though not quite there). I've angled to give a variety of different settings to suit people's purposes whilst having something concrete for us to play in. Remember this is ~4 months in, so things will likely advance somewhat by the 6-month mark. I'd see the Orks on Olynthus being much closer to the doors of the hives, for example. If people want to change stuff here then, well, do!

Ghurlag

PreviousNext

Return to Board index

Return to Planning and Discussion Threads