Hated Saviours project.

For convenient but separate story advertisement, planning and discussion threads.

Re: Hated Saviours project.

Postby Maugan Ra » Sat Apr 30, 2011 9:18 pm

Holy crap, I really should check this section of the bolthole more often.

I do remember working on this, and definitely enjoying myself. I would be perfectly open to writing more Saviours stories with folks in the future... we had a right little collection of wierdos, we did.
Maugan, your slow descent into madness is starting to look more like a BASE jump...
- Rahvin

The 210th Cadian - Tanks, heavy weapons, and an ongoing hatred of Land Raiders.
W: 41
D: 6
L: 14
Maugan Ra

Postby Commander Shadow » Sat Apr 30, 2011 9:44 pm

my character idea is Johnna Vasseli, former Captain of an Ogryn Auxilla company. He was assigned to be CO of the auxilla due to his extremely bad luck. Where ever he goes he manages to be assigned to the worst possible duty, piss off his commanding officers, and gains no respect from his man. His life has been one unlucky trend, yet it is balanced by the fact that he seems to never die. In each situation he manages to come out alive, not unscathed mind, but just alive. Due to this multitude of brushes with death he is extremely paranoid and constantly hears voices in his head. Sometimes he thinks they are the voice of the Emperor, but there are just so many of them in there he's not sure which one is which. He has an affinity for his Ogryns, cares for them, which mean his commanding officers think he's an abhuman lover and he is shuned from Imperial society

He lost both arms in a past campaign and had them replaced by augmentic ones, one or both of which tend to fail on a regular basis for no apparent reason. Vasseli can't remember exactly how he became a member of the saviours, only that his last memories are advancing through the ruins of Hive Bassuri on Genino II with his company and triggering a booby trap that brought most of an imperial chapel down on him.

He is accompanied by the only surviving member of his auxilla, an ogryun bone head with the name Judah Nastronius, or Jud for short (it is the only thing he can pronounce) this ogryn is the self appointed bodyguard of Vasseli, making sure misfortune doesn't get the best of his commander. Jud also seems to have exponentially better luck.
Last edited by Commander Shadow on Sun May 01, 2011 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- And there arose from the abyss a terrible beast and the armies of man were laid low by the walls of the ancient city. The ground shook and the skies trembled and all knew as the beast had come forth and that the end of time was upon them.

"Shadow is always right, except when he tries to save his men from charging orks" - Ang
Commander Shadow

Postby LordLucan » Sun May 01, 2011 6:48 pm

Johnna is potentially a very interesting character. The section about how he joins the saviours isn't really warranted though; I'd like that origin story fleshed out as a short bit of fiction if at all possible, so we can get a feel for his character and see how you portray the other Saviours interacting with him.

(Ogryn is the correct spelling incidentally, but that's a minor point, as the idea is sound either way)
Check out the start of my new serialised novel, Gingerbread, published with Jukepop Serials (It is free to read, so please read and comment). Here's the link, enjoy:
https://www.jukepopserials.com/home/read/1367/?chapter=2&p=0&sl=10
LordLucan

Postby Commander Shadow » Sun May 01, 2011 7:36 pm

saw to the excess "u"s. :D I can work on an intro piece for poor Mr. Vasseli
- And there arose from the abyss a terrible beast and the armies of man were laid low by the walls of the ancient city. The ground shook and the skies trembled and all knew as the beast had come forth and that the end of time was upon them.

"Shadow is always right, except when he tries to save his men from charging orks" - Ang
Commander Shadow

Postby Dark Angel » Wed May 04, 2011 5:04 pm

Heya folks. I would just like to say that I am still interested in this - But, I have recently switched over from internet providers, and now have limited access. When I get the time, I'll post up either Caleb, or another, more... Secret character that I have been working on. :D

That is, if you are still accepting?
"I say, Mosley, what is your movement's attitude towards birth control?" Mosley drew himself up to his
full height, hands on hips, and looked the young man up and down, before replying:
"After looking at you, I should think the question of birth control comes about twenty
years too late. Next question, please." The questioner subsided into his seat, and the
meeting continued to a triumphant conclusion. There were no further interruptions.
Dark Angel

Postby Colonel Mustard » Wed May 04, 2011 5:29 pm

I believe we still are, hnyes. Stick him up.
Colonel Mustard

Postby Bloodhawk 248 » Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:05 pm

So, school's out for me, and I presume for at least some of you who still happen to be in school. This a good time to get this thing running again?
Bloodhawk 248

Postby LordLucan » Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:35 pm

Uni has finished for me, but I am job-hunting at the moment, so not as much freetime as one would think. However, certainly more time now exams are thankfully over.
Check out the start of my new serialised novel, Gingerbread, published with Jukepop Serials (It is free to read, so please read and comment). Here's the link, enjoy:
LordLucan

Postby Maugan Ra » Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:20 pm

Well, I've finished Uni now as well. I might be getting a summer job - waiting to hear back from an interesting prospect at Heathrow airport - but certainly I've got more free time now.

So... sure, why not? We fancy doing something in the style of an actual GS, or do we stick to our current "multiple authors writing stories in the same universe" thing? I'd prefer the former, at least for a couple of stories, as it's rather fun working with you lot.
Maugan, your slow descent into madness is starting to look more like a BASE jump...
- Rahvin

Maugan Ra

Postby Bloodhawk 248 » Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:22 pm

I would be up for that. It's been quite a bit since we all got together and wrote one of those epics.
Bloodhawk 248

Postby Maugan Ra » Sat Jun 18, 2011 4:11 am

Well, I just felt randomly inspired and wrote this HS fic. Went and entered it in the RiaR: Corruption competition, as well.

A worthy end (902 words)

When the time came for him to die, Tzu Shan picked the location very carefully. He'd thought of numerous possibilities – atop a mountain, where he might watch the dawn, or on a tropical beach where he could feel the sand underfoot, but in the end he'd settled for this. A perfectly flat slab of stone, carved out of the savage wilderness by raw chance and the howling winds.

All around him, volcanic rock speared towards the scarlet skies like a thousand up-thrust swords. For a moment, Tzu fancied that each jagged spire represented a life that he had taken over the course of his long and bloody life. Fitting, then, that they had come to see him die. With a contented smile on his face, Tzu stood in the centre of the clearing and waited for his executioners to arrive.

They did not disappoint, slipping out of the stone forest like wraiths after barely an hour of waiting. There were six of them, clad in the black bodyglove of the Temple, each carrying paired swords of liquid silver in assured hands. They approached from all directions at once, padding forwards warily, and he nodded approvingly at their caution.

“Six of you?” He called to them as they drew near, his voice warm and welcoming. “I admit, it pleases me that I am so respected back at the temple.”

The assassins paused their advance, forming a neat circle around his motionless form. After a moment, one of them reached up and peeled away the glove from her face, setting long blond hair fluttering in the wind. She was beautiful, like a statue come to life, and in her green eyes he saw about as much warmth.

“It was judged necessary.” She intoned coldly. “I would have preferred to come for you alone, but the presence of my assistants was commanded.”

Tzu bowed to her, knowing perfectly well that the move left him open for a decapitating strike. He held the position for a moment, then straightened up again. None of them had moved in the slightest.

“Do you believe you would have survived a solo fight?” He asked, genuinely curious. He'd been an assassin of the Temple for many years, and in all that time he had never encountered another agent that could match his skill with a blade.

“No. But I would have faced you anyway, in tribute to your legend.” For a briefest instant, the slightest hint of emotion entered her voice, a touch of admiration. It was gone a moment later, revealed only so that it's presence could be noted before being hidden once more.

“My legend?”

“You have evaded us for close to a century, Tzu Shan.” She said, emotionless. “We have chased you across the galaxy and beyond, and in all that time this is only the third instance that any of our agents have laid eyes on you. Your story is taught to all of our neophytes, and more than a few of the Masters have advocated building a statue of you in the atrium of the High Temple. Were it not for your flaws, you would be the very epitome of what it means to be Callidus.”

“Ah. My flaws.” Tzu smiled. He turned slowly, looking at each of the assassins in turn. One by one, they removed their masks, allowing him to look into their eyes and see the truth there. “And what are they, do you suppose?”

“You have been corrupted.” She said, shaking her head in disapproval. “Your conditioning has broken down, and you have taken on a permanent identity. You have feelings. It is even believed by some that your degradation was deliberate on your part.”

“It was.” He said simply, and took some small pleasure in the way that her eyes widened briefly in surprise. “And was I wrong to do so?”

“You abandoned the Temple, the Imperium, and the Emperor, and threw in your lot with heretics and xenos.”

“But was I wrong?” Tzu spread his arms and turned again, as though asking all of reality. Cyd had always taught him to embrace his theatrical side. “You said yourself, I have evaded you for a century, so clearly my skills were unaffected. In fact, it might even be argued that they've grown sharper since I left the traditional methods behind. In the face of that, can you really say that I was wrong to do what I did? When I decided to live, rather than merely exist?”

For a long moment, the only sound in the air was the howling of the wind. The circle of assassins exchanged looks, before slowly replacing their masks. The now-faceless female spoke once more.

“No. I cannot. But in the end, whether you are right or not is irrelevant. We were sent, and we will not disobey. All that matters now is blood and steel.”

Tzu nodded calmly, and draw his sword. It was a beautiful piece, over three foot of tempered steel, acid-etched with snarling monsters and a single name - Amelia. A stream of ebony hair fluttered from its hilt. Slowly, he raised it into a guard position.

“Death is nothing, compared to vindication.”

They leapt for him, blades flashing, and blood was spilled beneath the scarlet sky.
- Rahvin

Maugan Ra

Postby Bloodhawk 248 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:38 am

Me likey! Though, the first line implies something I'd rather not contemplate (Tzu dead? Nonsense!)
Bloodhawk 248

Postby Colonel Mustard » Sat Jun 25, 2011 2:12 am

I like, Maugan, and I'd be up for some writing over the summer holidays; got free time available now summer's come up, and I'll get a few ideas together for some shorts. Also, I really need to do some detailing on The Baby.
Colonel Mustard

Postby Gaius Marius » Sat Jun 25, 2011 3:29 am

Cool one Maugan, assassin battles are like that.

On another note my story Family viewtopic.php?f=17&t=620 will eventually introduce Caesar. Although it will take a while for him to show up.
Space Cowboy, Spartan II, Specter, Reclusiarch

'I see the fear you have inside.'
Gaius Marius

Postby Rhamah » Sat Jun 25, 2011 12:02 pm

Chiming in with my support for another of our 'episode' GSes.

I'll dust off Cyd and have him polished and on standby.
The Tyrant Reborn.
Maugan Ra wrote:It is not wise to antagonise Rhamah, unless you're planning to leave the country in the near future. Via catapult.

The Ordo Off-Topicus, back from the dead!
Rhamah

Postby Colonel Mustard » Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:09 pm

Alright, wrote up a short profiley thing on Tax's personal, all-time favourite death machine, the Baby, his highly customised Knight. And then I'll post up a HS piece of my own.

After I finish the next chapter of Angels of the Storm...

And then finish off writing Stasis...

Sometime, alright.

The Baby was, at one point in its life, a Knight sub-Titan platform. Dug up from the vaults of the Saviour, the Saviours decided that it would probably be best used as a support platform for missions where they might have need of firepower. Tax immediately volunteered to be its pilot, and it was perhaps a rather foolish misjudgement of his character that Darvius thought he would run the machine without tampering with it, tragically failing to note the gleam of ambition in his eyes.

Within a week, many of the armouries of the Saviour had been raided, pieces of technology and advanced weaponry disappearing from their places in the vaults. Tax claimed to know nothing of the sort, but it certainly raised suspicion when he forbade any of the other Saviours from entering the hangar their new acquisition was stored in. Indeed, when Tzu tried to slip in through one of the air vents, he found it blocked, along with a note saying; “Nice try.”

After several weeks of Tax mainly keeping to himself in the hangar, and strenuously avoiding answering the questions that the other Saviours posed him of exactly what the hell he was doing with the Knight, Tax revealed the Baby.

It was still recognisable as a Knight, but it had been modified extensively. Extra armour had been added to it, including a repair system of Necrodermis and Demiurg nanobots (exactly how Tax managed to manipulate and control Necrodermis is something he is unsure of, but it apparently involved some piece of Necrontyr technology he plugged into the machine), a set of thrusters made from an Eldar Nightwing fighter were attached to its back to work as a sort of jump pack, while a system of modular weapons had been designed to fit in its arm or on the slot on its shoulder. Other pieces of technology used in its design are Tau force fields and Eldar holofields, an advanced Thexian-designed comm. array, Auspices and augury arrays, a wireless command cowl of the sort found only in the most ancient and advanced of the Mechanicus’ titans (and one that Caesar insists, to this day, was pilfered from his cockpit) and a hifi system.

As well as a pair of hefty fists that comprise its close combat armament, Tax designed the Baby’s armaments to largely modular, with a few cranes that allowed it to swap weapons in and out according to what the situation demands in a matter of minutes; these include lascannons, plasma cannons, D-cannons, assault cannons, fusions blasters, inferno cannons, multi-meltas, Thexian stun chargers or even a shield of Necrodermis for close combat duties, as well as various other weapons. The slot on its shoulder has room for even larger weapons, such as a railgun, executioner plasma cannon, punisher cannon, particle whip, Demiurg antimatter launchers and vortex gun.

Generally, the Baby is used either for ‘loud’ operations where they go up directly against heavy resistance, or when their more stealthy operations go particularly wrong. A large majority of the time, the Baby simply stays in its hangar, as it is completely unsuited for most of the Saviours’ missions, but that doesn’t stop the inevitable question that Darvius gets at every briefing about whether or not the Baby will be needed.

When it is, Tax usually acts like a juvie at a confectarium, dealing death with the Baby’s formidable firepower with perhaps more glee than is really healthy. It is almost unstoppable, its advanced systems making it as swift and deadly, its vast array of weapons making it able to be tailored for any situation it may face (though Tax’s suggestion of installing teleport homers and being able to swap them out mid-battle was swiftly shouted down before he tried to bore any gun-shaped holes in spacetime). For those times when it is needed, the Baby has proven itself an invaluable part of the team, providing swift, heavy fire support whenever it is needed, dropping from the Saviour to swiftly dispense death, havoc and general destruction, Tax controlling the machine from its heavily armoured cockpit with consummate, lethal skill.

And woe betide anything foolish enough to get in his way
Colonel Mustard

Postby Bloodhawk 248 » Wed Jul 06, 2011 6:52 am

This...Is...AWESOME!

(So that's what happened to Arel's Nightwing engines...She's gonna be pissed.)

I'm going to have to write a piece that includes this baby (pun intended) now, you do realize that. The description is awesome, but could you post up what exactly it looks like? I'm not sure if the Knight-class platform is canon or not, since Lexicanum failed to provide me a page.

Again...awesomesauce.
Bloodhawk 248

Postby Colonel Mustard » Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:11 pm

Cheers Bloodhawk. :D

The knights are definitely canon (they're featured quite heavily in Mechanicum) and I based the main idea of the appearance of the Baby roughly off a more heavily armoured version of the Dreadknight (with an enclosed cockpit with extra protection), subscribing to the idea put about by more than a few that the Dreadknight itself is based off the Knight chassis. I'll post up a picture, perhaps, and maybe one day when I happen to have about £200 going spare I'll convert it all and use magnets for the modular weapons. Don't hold me to that last one, however.
Colonel Mustard

Postby shadowhawk2008 » Wed Jul 06, 2011 6:19 pm

As posted in my thread in the BL Announcements sub-forum, we shall be getting some Knights action from Graham McNeill sometime in the future. Apparently in a duology themed to be "Priests of Mars".
Shadowhawk's Shade My 40k/writing/review blog. You can check out all my reviews here.

My current fiction projects - Veergati: The Scarlet Records, an Indian space opera inspired by Star Trek.
shadowhawk2008

Location: Battle-barge Spear of Lycaeus of the Angels of Retribution

Postby LordLucan » Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:24 pm

shadowhawk2008 wrote:As posted in my thread in the BL Announcements sub-forum, we shall be getting some Knights action from Graham McNeill sometime in the future. Apparently in a duology themed to be "Priests of Mars".

Yeah, but none as cool as Tax's, so neeer! :P
LordLucan

PreviousNext

Return to Board index

Return to Planning and Discussion Threads