The Year We Fell [40K Group story]

For convenient but separate story advertisement, planning and discussion threads.

Re: The Year We Fell [40K Group story]

Postby Ghurlag » Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:53 pm

I like that, schafe, it adds to the confusion on the ground, plus it aligns perfectly with Parliament's angle.

One chapter each (following LL's scheme) is probably enough to cover the uprising. Under that, the first round of writing looks a little like this:

Chapter 1)
Schafe's character is situated in the early aftermath of everything, a sort of 'the day after' feel. As a member of Parliament he probably knows more about what's gone on than the other two characters will for some time (whether schafe reveals all of this, or only hints at parts of this is of course up to him). He's probably seen the Inquisitor earlier in proceedings, but has spent a lot of time in the urgent debate that followed.

Chapter 2)
Wynn is part of a task force hurriedly deployed into orbit to board the Black Ship. She's probably heard the announcement of what the Inquisitor intends, but will probably only have heard early reports about what's going on in the city that night. I imagine a lot of this chapter will be devoted to what goes on aboard the ship, encountering the nulls, etc.

Chapter 3)
Madak turns up to work, where the Inquisitor's inspection causes a big fuss. He may hear rumours in the grapevine about what the Inquisitor demanded, but nothing's confirmed. Later on, he hears scattered news of what happened in the city and that something has happened to the Black Ship.

The confused accounts of the end of Madak's chapter could then be solidified/made coherent in schafe's second chapter. Presumably the characters then fall into line chronologically.

As the misty veil of Albion is cast aside, we turn our gaze to the war-torn island of Albany, where the Red King vies with his former master for the control of a realm in dire threat.
Ghurlag

Postby LordLucan » Sat Apr 13, 2013 3:17 pm

Ghurlag: I see all three of those as one chapter in three sections to be honest. Three chapters for the opening is too much imo. Otherwise, that outline seems fine to me.
Check out my debut fantasy novel from Fox Spirit Books, The Hobgoblin's Herald (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hobgoblins-Herald-R-Aston/dp/1910462047). If you've read it, please rate and review it on amazon; I'd be eternally grateful. The sequel, Eater of Names, is out in 2018, so watch this space.
LordLucan

Postby Ghurlag » Sat Apr 13, 2013 3:29 pm

I suppose I was thinking of shorter chapters - longer chapters subdivided into segments works out just the same, though, so no complaints from me.

What's next? Are we going to sketch out the events of more of the year, or start writing?

Regarding the writing process, can I suggest that we have a system where the writers get to review each other's contributions before they're posted in the story thread? That way we can catch errors and keep things consistent.

As the misty veil of Albion is cast aside, we turn our gaze to the war-torn island of Albany, where the Red King vies with his former master for the control of a realm in dire threat.
Ghurlag

Postby LordLucan » Sat Apr 13, 2013 3:42 pm

Ghurlag wrote:I suppose I was thinking of shorter chapters - longer chapters subdivided into segments works out just the same, though, so no complaints from me.

Cool.

What's next? Are we going to sketch out the events of more of the year, or start writing?

We need all the bios and schaf's parliamentary thoughts in first I reckon. Then, we can get to writing the first day. That way, we can all get a feel for our characters, and how they interact with one another.

Regarding the writing process, can I suggest that we have a system where the writers get to review each other's contributions before they're posted in the story thread? That way we can catch errors and keep things consistent.

Oh definitely. Not just for mistakes, but just to make sure the depiction of Balfayre remains semi-consistant.
Check out my debut fantasy novel from Fox Spirit Books, The Hobgoblin's Herald (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hobgoblins-Herald-R-Aston/dp/1910462047). If you've read it, please rate and review it on amazon; I'd be eternally grateful. The sequel, Eater of Names, is out in 2018, so watch this space.
LordLucan

Postby Ghurlag » Sat Apr 13, 2013 5:08 pm

Okay, so I had some time on my hands and I put this together: it's essentially the 'presentation' one of Madak's coworkers delivers to the Inquisitor when he visits the Ad-mech facility. In the actual chapter parts will be omitted as Madak's attention wanes, but it expresses my thoughts on the direction and state of their research, so I thought it'd be good to see what people think.

We began, of course, with human material. The process of connecting the human nervous system to the Most Holy is a well-known, even commonplace affair. Typical servitor construction subsumes the biological brain to mechanical controls: Transceivers are installed in the cranium and this, combined with suitable excisions and neural training, allows for remote instruction via mechanical communion. Across the Imperium, the unruly and unworthy have long undergone this transformation to become productive cogs in our society.

However, the biological brain offers other opportunity for remote access. The telepathic projection of thoughts is a well-observed phenomenon amongst duly sanctioned psykers such as are commonplace here on Balfayre. The reception of such thoughts is not constrained to the psychically active. Having observed this, we began experimentation with psyker-controlled servitors.

There were difficulties, of course. Complaints that psychic control required effort to gain were relatively easy to overcome - a carefully controlled cocktail of chemicals keeps the subject brain in a suggestive state. Trials indicated that operators were made uncomfortable reaching into the minds of the criminally insane, so we switched to vat-grown material.

The result of this strand of research is evident on Balfayre. Receptive servitors attend to the household duties of many members of the Seer Council, as well as members of Parliament. We have even exported some shipments to off-world clientele, with favourable review.

But the constraint we ran into here was production. Even vat-grown human material is costly to raise and maintain, and limited funds transformed this into slow output. So we began to look for alternatives. We found one in the larvae of the Balfayran locust.

The Balfrayan locust is a remarkably fertile creature, with a high egg yield and fast reproductive cycle. Local predation barely thins its swarms, and it is thanks to efficient pest control systems alone that the planet's agriculture is spared their ravages. The brain of the locust larvae - known as a nymph - is not complex, but it is sufficiently large and malleable to allow us to integrate it with divine mechanisms.

This, then, is the origin of the 'nymph-nodes' which you may have seen advertised during your tour. The brain of the nymph is insufficiently complex to handle duties which may be ascribed to a servitor, but it is capable of acting as a switch or limited control via which those with even remedial empathic abilities can operate remote machinery. Such contrivances have been very well received by the Seer Council here on Balfayre, and are readily available in the more modern public locations.

This is greatly beneficial, but our original intention was to find a replacement for human material in servitors. The nymph-nodes are an additional boon, not a replacement. Having found some success in co-opting local fauna, we turned to another creature - the Capaldo treerat.

This treerat does not have the prodigal fecundity of the locust, but it has a number of other features which draw attention. Firstly, it is intelligent, and a tool-user, suggesting it can handle tasks of the level that might be entrusted to a servitor - the trivial problem of its physical build being solvable through the manufacture of prefabricated exoskeletons. Secondly, it matures quickly, producing a fully-capable brain within a month. Thirdly, and perhaps most importantly, the treerat brain can be easily triggered into a trancelike state which leaves it permanently suggestible to psychic suggestion, without any need for a regulatory chemical cocktail - it is this feature which has seen it adopted as a household pet by many Gilded Seers over the years.

I mentioned that it does not naturally reproduce quickly, but our experiments have shown that appropriate fertility treatments, combined with an automated insemination technique, have remarkable effects on brood size and reproductive rate. Our work in this area is as yet incomplete, but soon we hope to demonstrate the benefits of cheaply-manufactured and readily available psychically-receptive servitors, an achievement which marks the unique capabilities afforded to us here on Balfayre as well as the glory of the Omnissiah's will working through the instrument of the Magos Biologicus Neuralis.

Ghurlag

Postby LordLucan » Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:07 pm

Ghurlag: Very nice; weird genesplicing and experimentation? Always fun to imagine. And d'awww, the tech priests seem so eager to please there. They jsut want the Inquisitor to be proud of them... :( :D

Also, I've done the bio for the POV character within the Imperial Armada; Colonel Alun L. Makard. Let me know if you think he'll work within this proto narrative we're sketching out here.

Biography:

Colonel Alun L. Makard of the 203rd Vospar is the leader of one of several Imperial Guard regiments requisitioned by Inquisitor Rusarl for the crusade being mounted to bring fiery retribution to the Balfayre system. The Vospar regiment are an elite drop legion, veterans of fighting Tau and Tyranids across the fringe. Rusarl pulled his decimated regiment from a campaign against a splinter of hive fleet kraken. Alun initially does not see the merit of persecuting a single backwater world, when there are true existential dangers to the Imperium, such as the Tyranids. He eventually sees the value in the campaign when Rusarl explains that if an attack on a Black Ship is not punished in the most extreme manner, then it sets a dangerous precedent for other worlds to refuse the psyker tithe, which would ultimately threaten the Emperor Himself.

The Colonel is a man of duty above all else, but he takes no satisfaction in crushing his foes or those who break the rules. For instance, if a man from his regiment deserted, he would have the man executed, but he would do it himself rather than allow the Commissariat to make a spectacle of it, as he does not believe in humiliating the condemned. He will kill his foes, but though he believes wholeheartedly in the Emperor, he cannot bring himself to hate those he opposes. This puts him at odds with many of the fanatical and downright sadistic elements of the growing Imperial armada, including the backbone of the Imperial ground forces, the Adepta Sororitas Order of the Martyr’s Shield, or the cruel regiment known as ‘The Spiders’, just recently returned from a campaign against eldar raiders which has left many of them as borderline psychopaths.

Makard is respected by his men, and even the Inquisitor takes a shine to him, for he is not cowed by Rusarl, despite his incredible executive power and authority. The Colonel looks middle-aged, with dark blond hair streaked with grey.

If Balfayre must be cleansed, Colonel Makard will see it done, in spite of his personal qualms.
LordLucan

Postby Ghurlag » Sun Apr 14, 2013 2:11 am

Thanks, LL, they sure are eager. I suppose some of the key things I'm saying that other writers might use are:
1) Balfayre depends on pest control systems to keep its on-world food supply safe from locust swarms.(This is a potential target for the Arbites).
2)The upper eschelons of Balfayre society are used to psychically-controllable 'normal' (i.e. human) servitors.
3)'nymph-nodes' to telepathically control various appliances are to be found in modern public buildings, something particularly favoured by the Gilded Seers.
4)Some Seers keep treerats as pets (more a detail than anything else - I wanted to draw out that these are cute household mammals being mass-bred, lobotomised and enslaved for the ongoing experiments).

On your bio, the character seems interesting enough - a sympathetic face on the opposite side (throwing those more extreme elements alongside him into sharp relief). It's hard to get a sense for how well he meshes, because the Imperial storyline is necessarily more distant from what happens on Balfayre (and probably more sporadicly inserted).

From the Imperial perspective, I suppose a key thing is what exactly was in that astropathic transmission. At the time it was sent, there was a mob out for the Inquisitor's blood, communication to the Black Ship was being jammed and the astropaths themselves were under a psychic assault (the Black Ship had just been damaged, but the sender is unlikely to know that).

The Imperium receives this one message, and then there is silence. They don't know externally what's going on except that they can't raise the Black Ship or Balfayre, so their perception of what happened is based almost entirely on what the Inquisitor (or the astropath) said. I suppose at some point, some kind of high-alert survey/contact mission will arrive in system (this could be a plot point a few weeks or months down the line) to gather some information. Until then, Rusarl probably won't even know if he needs an armada, so Alun may not be contacted for some time.

Ghurlag

Postby Corrigan Phoenix » Sun Apr 14, 2013 12:22 pm

Hey guys I'm away until tomorrow night, hence the lack if any long posts- be assured I am following what you're saying and I like it all pretty much so far!

Ghurlag- nice report; would it be acceptable to say that the higher ranking gilded seer/Peerguard members have larger animals as companions? I was thinking that Wynn could have such a creature (maybe a mid-size feline) gift-bonded to her upon her return from the Black Ship mission as a symbol of her new status. She'd be naturally distrustful of the creature because she's worried someone else is or could control it, and they're using it to spy on her?

LL- I like Madak, but I guess that's the point? He's just doing his duty; doesn't want to destroy a whole population on a whim. Maybe the imperials would send a large force? Given the last communique from the Inquisitor, and the subsequent silence from him and Balfayre in general, wouldn't they err on the side of caution and send a force guaranteed to be able to break the planet?

In regards to allies I think none of the Xenos populations nearby should answer our call- they'd be naturally distrustful of any humans given their experiences with Imperials. Maybe a few radical gilded seer members send to them, but the rest refrain/call to other human planets/systems nearby- after all they still see themselves as Imperial initially- they don't see themselves as rebels.
Corrigan Phoenix

Postby Ghurlag » Sun Apr 14, 2013 12:49 pm

CP: Sure. Given that the treerats have this trance state, it's not unfeasible other creatures on Balfayre do as well, if you wanted to go down that route. And of course there's nothing to stop the feline just being a 'normal' pet.

While we know there'll be a large force coming in the end, I was suggesting a survey mission (even just a Rogue Trader asked to check out the system) because otherwise the Imperial authorities would be diverting troops based on very little evidence. Gathering a mass of troops takes longer than flinging a scout to find out what's going on.

From a narrative perspective, it gives us some sort of catalyst a few weeks down the line, an indicator to the populace that the Imperium is treating them as hostile.

LL: A question. With the chapter-a-day format, are we going to be covering each individual day of the year?

Ghurlag

Postby LordLucan » Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:17 pm

CP: Makard, not Madak ;)

Yeah, I want the pov of the Imperial side to be almost as sympathetic as the Balfayrians; an anti-villain in a sense. Both sides are justified in their motives; its what they do to achieve their motives which will ultimately decide the morality of said actions.

If we're on the fringe, it is possible Kroot might answer Balfayre's entreaties, but then there's the issue of how desperate are the parliament? Are they willing to treat with xenos, or will they try to gain Imperial allies first? This could be a plot point in itself.

Ghur: I like the pest control stuff and the flavour the treerats and servitors add to the culture and setting. Nymph nodes are a nice subtle way of demonstrating how casually the Balfayrians make extensive use of psionics in even everyday aspects of their lives. This makes the threat of losing massive numbers of psykers to the black ships is a real problem for them.

While we know there'll be a large force coming in the end, I was suggesting a survey mission (even just a Rogue Trader asked to check out the system) because otherwise the Imperial authorities would be diverting troops based on very little evidence. Gathering a mass of troops takes longer than flinging a scout to find out what's going on.

I was just thinking about having an Imperial section where a Rogue Trader is interviewed by the crusade for intel (and to try and commandeer his fleet to add to the armada...). I was picturing Rusarl gathering a modest force of guard and stuff initially, but once the Rogue Trader makes it clear something has gone drastically wrong, he goes on the warpath, building his armada in earnest, pillaging mortal fuel for his warships, materiels and soldiers from planets on the way.

You could have the Rogue Trader enter the system, and the Balfayre are suspicious, as they aren't sure whether he's there to trade with them, or whether he is a spy. You could have some cool scenes where one of the balfayrian povs is trying to figure out this guy's motives. Then, we can cut to the Imperial POV later on in the story, and find out that yes, this guy is giving the Imperials intelligence on the Balfayrians.

Ghurlag wrote:
LL: A question. With the chapter-a-day format, are we going to be covering each individual day of the year?

Oh god no. 365 days (if we go Terran Standard) is far too many chapters. No, I think we'd have chapters depicting specific days when something important happens, either for the planet or on our characters' personal journeys. For instance, we probably wouldn't depict days on route to a summit of potential alien allies, or depict every raid the Peerguard make while hunting the Arbites insurgents.

In addition, do you guys want me to come up with a Balfayrian character for the local religions side of things? I was thinking an elderly priest of the Faith of the Eight Strangers possibly. His congregation of dozens expands over the year, and he eventually begins to get visits from Gilded Seers, or perhaps one of the survivors from the Black ship, who are very interested in his quaint little religion...
LordLucan

Postby Corrigan Phoenix » Sun Apr 14, 2013 3:41 pm

Makard- I'll remember it, someday ;)

Sure whack out a character- I'd imagine they would be entirely innocent of the true origins/connotations of their religion, until certain freed prisoners start taking a greater interest and he/she researches and finds out the truth? Or do they know already?
Corrigan Phoenix

Postby Ghurlag » Sun Apr 14, 2013 3:51 pm

Well, who's to say that the Eight Strangers really has anything to do with Chaos? It could be a harmless local faith (that'd explain Imperial tolerance) which turns out to have some elements which can be twisted by one of the offworlders.

LL: As I thought. I agree, 365 chapters would be too much.

Coming up with the character certainly can't hurt, and it sounds like a good way to explore that aspect. Are you planning to write him regularly (at the same pace as Madak [CP, I think that's where you got confused, Madak is the name of my POV ;)], Wynn and Schafe's character) or sporadically like the Imperial one?

Oh, and the idea with the Rogue Trader and the staggered response with troop gatheric works fine to me. The astropathic message was strongly worded enough to cause alarm, but it's only after the scout mission that they realise Balfayre as a whole has gone rogue.

Ghurlag

Postby LordLucan » Sun Apr 14, 2013 4:50 pm

I think the priest would not be as regularly updated as the other POVs, as he has less to do narratively, and would be more reactive to events, rather than an instigator. I think with him and Colonel Alun, I'd write a similar amount as you guys for your characters, but split it between the two characters.
LordLucan

Postby Corrigan Phoenix » Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:43 pm

Sounds good to me- Wynns first piece btw, is the whole piece going to be the entirety of her time on the Black Ship, or is her first two pieces going to spell out that whole episode? I suppose she could always reflect on certain bits that I hadn't written in the initial piece...
Corrigan Phoenix

Postby Ghurlag » Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:53 pm

CP: I think that'd be a good way to handle it. Build to a dramatic point onboard the ship, then have your next segment be a retrospective - you could even use Wynn giving her report or meeting the rescued captives as prompts for reflection.

Is there anything I can be doing at the moment? I'm filled with do-stuff energy (which will no doubt wear off as soon as there's actually writing to be done.)

Ghurlag

Postby Corrigan Phoenix » Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:02 pm

Who was first in the writing order we came up with?
Corrigan Phoenix

Postby Ghurlag » Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:04 pm

schafe's character. I think schafe's fleshing out his bio and ideas about political structure before we set to.

Ghurlag

Postby LordLucan » Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:51 pm

I think once schaf's bio is done, we can get to work on writing the first chapter Ghurlag.

Speaking of biographies, here is the priest POV, Onolai:

Biography #2:

Onolai has been the Arcane Witness of the Faith of the Eight Strangers for ninety years. He is an ancient old man, frail, bald and is quiet and unassuming, compared to the boisterous and bombastic rivals within the Church of the Imperial Truth. Nevertheless, his small flock of a dozen or so parishioners are very pious and loyal to their Arcane Witness. The temple of the Eight Strangers was built in the foothills of the Azati mountains. The temple was old when Onolai’s great grandfathers were infants. It is a circular walled complex, with eight short turrets built into the walls, and a central tower, with foundations that descend deep into the roots of the world, with abandoned vaults stretching Strangers-know how far into the darkness.

Elderly Onolai witnessed the fall of the Black ship from his tower window, as a flash of light in the evening sky. He at first saw it as an ill omen, but he considers that he might be wrong, as the uprising eventually brings more and more followers to his humble temple in the foothills. The people seem to be looking for a faith which does not persecute them or resent their psychic gifts. The Faith of the Eight Strangers is perhaps such a faith.

According to their myths, the eight were originally mortal, servants of the Lords of Smoke. But their Lords perished in battle, and their gods were revealed to be mortal, for the Lland, King of the dead, took their souls for his own; slaying the Lords of Smoke with his mighty black sword. The eight, through learning and watching the way the universe worked, devised a way to escape death. They used the Songs of Emun to summon the Eliy, spirits that allowed them to enter Lland’s fortress and snatch away his black blade. With the sword, the eight robbed Lland of much power and gained ever more knowledge about the sea of Souls. Nevertheless, the enraged King vowed to hunt them and his rage instilled a fear of death in all living things. But the Eight Strangers could never be found. They vanished, removing any trace of their former lives.

The Faith believe that the Eight continue to guide the living indirectly, through the order of the Witnesses; people who have progressed so far into the Faith, they are said to have actually seen one of the Strangers, and gained the wisdom to teach other followers of the path towards Immortality and ascension. As the Arcane Witness, Onolai claims to have seen three of the Strangers. In the central courtyard of the Temple are eight statues; each facing a turret, their faces obscured by positioning, and by the erosion of time. In the centre of the courtyard lies a slab of metamorphic rock with a gigantic, sword-shaped indentation at its centre; a symbol of The Sword That Was Stolen, Lland’s weapon.

The Imperium is seen by Onolai as the agency of Lland, for the symbol of Lland is a flayed head; does not the Imperium make extensive use of skulls in most of its symbols and artwork? Is not its Emperor a dead man, empowered by necromantic ritual and vampiric hunger? Yet, Onolai is fundamentally a man of peace, for his Gods did not fight Lland, they ran from him. They did not stoop to his level. He know war is coming, and it breaks his heart.

Yet, as his congregation grows, their demands for divine aid become ever more plaintive and hard to ignore. When Gilded Seers and offworld strangers begin to visit his humble little church, what is Onolai to do? And what dark promises do the survivors of the black ship bring?
LordLucan

Postby LordLucan » Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:56 pm

Also, what ideas do you guys have for what the Balfayrians will do to try and strengthen the defences of Balfayre, and how they will gain allies and repair their trade links?
LordLucan

Postby Ghurlag » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:39 pm

Nice work there, LL. I like how you made the background of the Eight Strangers' faith ambiguous as to any connection to Chaos.

From the Mechanicus perspective, I see this:

The facility on Balfayre is only really equipped for servitor production. Re-tooling to create anything else would mean they lost time. While the adepts could (and no doubt will) be brought in to other manufacturing sites to lend a critical eye, the majority of the staff are Biologis Neuralis researchers, not tank-builders or spaceship weapons engineers. There's a better use for them.

These new treerat-based servitors, the ones that haven't been perfected yet, could form an almost perfect army. The very problem the researchers were trying to overcome was the mass-production of psychically-controllable servitors capable of performing semi-intelligent semi-autonomous tasks. With a few minor modifications to the planned exoskeletons, this mass-production facility could turn out thousands of utterly reliable servitor warriors a month. Lightframe close-combat models with monomolecular blades are the simplest option, but sturdier models with ranged weaponry are by no means out of the question.

This could be the army which levels the playing field against the Imperial retribution force. If they can build it.

Two essential problems lie in their way. The first is material. A simple matter of acquiring an ample supply of ore and rare earth materials to build the servitors' exoskeletons. At least some of these materials can't be mined from Balfayre itself, but could be found in the solar system - if the mining equipment required can be found. Every month of delay costs Balfayre thousands of potential troops. The second problem is making sure the Adepts build the army, and that their alliegence is really where it appears to be.

Ghurlag

PreviousNext

Return to Board index

Return to Planning and Discussion Threads