Art wanted!

For convenient but separate story advertisement, planning and discussion threads.

Art wanted!

Postby Athelassan » Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:46 pm

This seems the most appropriate forum for my purposes, but if a mod disagrees then please feel free to move it.

What is this nonsense?

Those of you with long and/or good memories, or weird stalkers who obsessively read every post I make on the internet, may recall my plans for the "Imperial Almanack" - an attempt to catalogue comprehensively all the background I could find on the Empire and make up stuff of my own to fill the gaps. When I conceived this project I don't think I really appreciated the scale of it (it's mammoth), and it's been dormant for years.

However, in the last few months I've breathed life back into it and it's now well on the way to completion.

This is where you come in!

At the moment the script is pretty, well, wordy. I think the project could be vastly improved with the addition of a few pictures to break the text up. However, I'm not an artist and have no pretensions to be, so I'm going to need some help!

What sort of art?

So long as the art is related to the Empire in some way then I will probably be able to find a use for it. That includes anything to do with the Empire's history, so, for instance, if you don't like puff and slash sleeves and cannons and would rather draw naked tribesmen, that's fine. In fact the remit is as broad as our collective imaginations can make it - pictures of beastmen, Wood Elves, Dwarfs, forests, mountains, and so on could all find a place. I'm really not fussy here: landscapes; portraits; character studies; still life, really, whatever takes your fancy. If you'd prefer more specific guidance or are in any doubt about whether something you have in mind would be appropriate then please ask and I'll be happy to give advice.

Black and white art is fine; if anyone prefers to work in colour then that would be fine too. Even photographs would be fine if the composition is right.

While I enthusiastically encourage and endorse the production of 40K fan art, its scope for inclusion on this project is limited unless it can pass for fantasy art.

Obviously the invitation is extended to friends and family of anyone reading this message (especially if they are professional artists willing to work pro bono ;)) . The more the merrier! However, and this should go without saying, please no art that you don't have the right to distribute, for obvious legal reasons. Nothing out of GW or fantasy art books or anything like that.

Where do I send this art?

If you want to send me any art directly, please send it to <myusername> at hotmail dot com. Alternatively if you want to put it on tumblr or photobucket or deviantart or wherever then that's fine too (I'm not going to demand exclusive possession of any art) so long as I can access it to use.

When's the deadline?

I hope to have the text finished by the end of the summer, but six months is probably a more realistic estimate. In any case, the deadline is very flexible: any delays at my end will result in corresponding extensions of the deadline, and I will accept any submissions up until the point in development where it becomes impractical to include them.

What do I get out of this?

Unfortunately, I can't offer any financial incentive due to GW policy. All contributions will be gratefully received and, if used, fully credited and acknowledged. All contributors will receive an e-copy of the document, delivered to the email inbox of their choice. In the (unlikely but possible) event that a printed copy of the project is produced, each contributor will receive a copy (gratis, obviously). Additionally, should I meet any contributors at a BL event or equivalent, I'll buy them a beer (or alternative beverage of choice) (in addition to any beers I would have bought them anyway).

Thanks for reading, and I hope to hear from you!

Ath
Athelassan

Re: Art wanted!

Postby Ghurlag » Tue May 22, 2012 11:19 pm

Here is probably a reasonably appropriate area for this topic, but I'm going to copy this over to General Fiction Discussion to see if anyone there can help out.

Unfortunately, my graphical skills are somewhat lacking, otherwise I'd contribute something.

As the misty veil of Albion is cast aside, we turn our gaze to the war-torn island of Albany, where the Red King vies with his former master for the control of a realm in dire threat.
Ghurlag

Return to Board index

Return to Planning and Discussion Threads