Imperial Guard Group Story

For convenient but separate story advertisement, planning and discussion threads.

Re: Imperial Guard Group Story

Postby Rusk » Sat Mar 31, 2012 12:33 am

@Corrigan: Glad to have you on board. Oblek sounds like a right nasty piece of work. You might have to edit the history slightly depending on how long the history of the regiment is (ie if its a relatively short time-period between founding and destruction, Oblek won't have had the chance to collect all those delightful war wounds) but it seems sound apart from that.

And, as promised, my offering. This is just a bit of character-building, pretty short (been rather busy), but I hope it can be wound into the GS somehow. I've also commandeered O Company as Rog's from now on. And you can't have it back! ;)

~~~

'Sergeant! Get your arse down!' Rog bellowed.

Sergeant Djuardin stood, his lank form wavering and shimmering in the dust of the citadel's forward walls. Behind him, the iron curtain of the fortress had cracked and crumbled, slumping down to form a great crevasse of shattered rock and vaporised rockcrete. Piles of rubble fifty metres high lined either side of the breach, already soaked by the incessant downpour. The great V of the obliterated bulwark clambered up to the battlements far above.

Rog didn't even want to think about how many men that had cost them.

'Djuardin! Move yourself!' Rog bawled again.

The sergeant snapped to his senses. He began to run, hurling himself headlong out of no man's land towards the trenches that lined the open plaza behind the wall. Bullets whizzed past him, some missing by inches, some grazing the dirty grey flak of his armour. One hit the back of his felt cap and ripped straight through, leaving a fist-sized hole just above the brim.

Rog rose from the permanent hunch-backed crouch that O Company had adopted, and waved frantically to the sergeant. The man adjusted his run and skidded the last few metres through the churned up ochre mud and dull grey rock of the plaza, bouncing once off the lip of the fortification and collapsing in a heap at the foot of the trench.

He grinned up at Rog. 'Bet you thought I was done for then, didn't you, ma'am?

'You almost were,' Rog snarled, offering a hand and hauling Djuardin to his feet. 'Next time everything goes “balls up”, to quote Klime, pay frigging attention. Hell knows how you ever got promoted to sergeant.'

'Nice to see you too, captain,' Djuardin sighed, pulling out a kerchief from his thigh pouch and dabbing at his sweat and rain-drenched face. Rog looked at the much-used towel with disgust.

'Shut up,' Rog told him. 'Skusse! Get on the vox. Tell command that all hell is about to break loose. I don't fancy our chances if we're hung out to dry.'

'Yes ma'am,' Rog's adjutant stepped forward from the assembled O Company troopers, swinging the heavy vox-caster off his skinny back and talking frantically into the horn.

Rog took a moment to survey the men surrounding her. Djuardin stood at her side, his ridiculous pencil moustache quivering on his top lip. Corporal Ziehl, the O Company banner bearer, was crouched above a portable range finder, his flag punched into the dirt behind him. Janjua and Kurek, the heavy weapons troopers, checked the sloshing prometheum tanks of their flamers, hastily repossessed by O Company when they were first deployed on the forward lines. Corps-man Ceiber cowered beside Skusse, his medi-pouch strapped to his thigh.

'They're coming,' Djuardin warned, raising his lasgun.

Bodies were beginning to pour through the breach in the wall. At first they were small, scrawny characters, barely a few feet tall, screeching and cackling, pounding their way through the rubble. They were soon caught and overtaken by larger creatures. They were monstrous figures, each one a tower of glistening sweat and shadowy green muscle, their faces contorted into a psychotic grin of glee and anger. Metal plating was strapped loosely to their bodies to form some semblance of protection, and crude, chunky rifles were gripped in their meaty paws. They howled as they charged, ploughing through their smaller minions, closing the gap to the Imperials with alarming speed.

There were so Emperor-damn many of them.

'Eight hundred yards,' the hulking Corporal Ziehl reported, the scar from the wound that should have killed him easily visible across his brow. 'We've got a minute, tops.'

'Frigging orks,' Rog growled. She flicked on her comm-bead. 'Right, men, we've only got one chance at this so listen the hell up. When the xeno get within four hundred yards, open fire. Not before, not after. Cindric, get your mortars loaded up and firing. Prys, Pantelic, hold your men together. Gadzekpo, I'd say get your scalpel ready but you probably already know that. And if anyone sees the commissar, send him my way. Like the wolves of winter, men. Frig these alien bastards.'

A chorus of confirmations crackled back over the link. Rog ignored them, turning her attention back to her adjutant.

'Got anything?' she asked.

'K Company is on its way,' Skusse reported. 'Sirakov's lot. Lieutenant Chiro's squadron too. I wouldn't expect them anytime soon however.' Skusse looked glumly at the advancing orks. 'Far too late for us, I'd expect.'

'Frig's sake,' Rog grumbled, wiping sweat from her forehead. '...just... frig this.'

'Five hundred yards!' Someone down the line bellowed.

'Oh hell,' Rog snapped. 'No fear, Skusse, you hear me? Even if it is too late... I don't want you to stop firing. Wolves of winter, Oliguis.'

'Wolves of winter, Nizhnii,' Skusse echoed.

'You know when you asked how I became sergeant?' Djuardin mentioned, almost casually. 'The answer is pure frigging accident.'

'Shut the hell up, you idiot,' Rog spat, eyes trained on the advancing horde.

'Did I ever say how sexy you are when you're angry, ma'am?' Djuardin quipped.

Rog looked over at the sergeant. The watery sunlight broke through the thick cloud cover and illuminated her features. A prominent, thrice-broken nose dominated a face kissed by war, the thick scars of her past mangling the skin of her temple, cheeks and jaw. Her left cheekbone had been dented inwards, short, torched strands of hair were sweat-stuck to her pockmarked forehead, and the corner of her mouth had been fused into a permanent snarl.

'I frigging hate you, sometimes,' she growled. The captain pulled out her bolt pistol, looted by a subordinate on one of their first worlds, and slammed in a new clip.

'Four hundred yards! Open fire!'

~~~

Edited 7/4/12 to update intro scene.
Last edited by Rusk on Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My Fabulous Works:
First Contact - RiaR Savage
Pynewood -2.25k
Desecration - RiaR Desecration
Name - RiaR Pressure
Rusk

Postby Stuart000X » Sat Mar 31, 2012 7:08 am

Corrigan Phoenix wrote:Sounds like an interesting concept...I'd sure like to join, if possible, and make it a four-way. .

I prefer my threesomes, simply because I only have two hands to work with 8-). Yeah I don't mind if you join Corrigan.
Stuart000X

Postby Corrigan Phoenix » Sat Mar 31, 2012 1:53 pm

Ya'know I deliberately avoided the use of "foursome" to avoid any of those sort of jokes, but ah well ;)

I can alter the med report a bit to just be from Orks - and the fact that it happens in such a short space of time makes his wounds all the more impressive =P

I'll write up a short entry today sometime; probably how he lost his left foot :)
Corrigan Phoenix

Postby Commander Shadow » Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:06 am

Great to have you! Having the injuries come from the orks would be perfect. I can't wait to see how your piece turns out.
- And there arose from the abyss a terrible beast and the armies of man were laid low by the walls of the ancient city. The ground shook and the skies trembled and all knew as the beast had come forth and that the end of time was upon them.

"Shadow is always right, except when he tries to save his men from charging orks" - Ang
Commander Shadow

Postby Stuart000X » Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:28 am

A pretty good story. What we're doing now?
Stuart000X

Postby Corrigan Phoenix » Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:19 am

I believe you're all waiting on me...sorry for the delay - I've had an unusually busy weekend. Will get it up by this evening no qualms.
Corrigan Phoenix

Postby Corrigan Phoenix » Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:50 pm

Here we are....unsure whether its any good or not. Let me know what you think....

The roaring wouldn’t stop. It had been several hours since he had infiltrated the massive Ork construct, and oddly enough he hadn’t seen any of the damn greenskins. He still couldn’t believe their flyer the Defiantly Faithful had been shot down. Luckily it had got him in place – he couldn’t be sure about the rest of the team- but that Valkyrie had been with them since the founding. It been that very aircraft that had taken him from the surface of his homeworld to the troopship carrier that had taken him to war; it had been with them ever since through the turmoil of war. Not to mention that it was the last flyer the regiment had left. Not for the first time, Oblek cursed the damn Ork xenos. He hadn’t seen anything of the fabled Eldar or even the supposed ‘great enemy’ of chaos – just Orks, Orks, Orks since the founding. It’s all he knew, killing them, and he hated it with every fibre of his being, but by the Emperor he was good at it. He knew what some of the men said about him, that he was blessed by the Emperor’s own fury, but he knew the truth of it. Religious man though he was; you pretty damn well had to be in this Imperium of Man, he fought to keep himself alive for the next fight.

Those moments in the heat of combat were the most thrilling he knew, and so despite the cautionary words of the regiment’s priest and the mounting medical record he was accumulating, he searched each battlefield for the biggest and strongest opponents to take on. Inevitably against the Orks these were the most influential and important foes amongst their kind, and thus he was often in the thick of the fighting at the pivotal site of a battle. People called him a champion of the Emperor, a scion of humanity’s light. He certainly didn’t see it as heroic or tactical thinking – no, he just sought the rush, and unerring found it. He’d love to test his mettle against the other foes that mankind boasted, but he knew it was unlikely now. He’d resigned himself to fight greenskins for the rest of his life, and had resolved to kill each and every that crossed his path in his search for the biggest and best. A scuffling sound brought his attention snapping back to his current situation, the irregularly-lit corridor he was in was riddled with oddly-shaped alcoves and it was from one of these the sounds were coming from. Carefully he slid a serrated combat knife from his belt, the blade dulled with boot polish earlier in the day as proof against reflections giving him away in the shadows.

Grik’ol hated the boss. He hated the stompy machine that he had to ride around in. But the boss was the boss, and he’d do as he was told; he wouldn’t be squished or cracked or eaten by the big boys, no by Gork. Grik’ol was still muttering to himself as his head left his shoulders and bounced on the metal grated floor. His severed head frowned up at his scrawny gretchin body for a few moments in confusion before everything went dark.

He was cleaning the little creatures’ blood off his knife as a throaty bellow reverberated through the corridor, vibrating his head painfully. Oblek cursed himself. He had been so caught up in his thoughts he had walked straight up to the entrance to the main control room without realising it. A massive Ork was stood in the doorway at the end of the hall, red eyes glittering maliciously as it saw the remains of its servant strewn across the floor. Knowing he couldn’t wait for the Ork to take the initiative, he charged, matching the oratory with his own incoherent shout. The greenskin grinned and swiped at him with a giant clawed fist – one that Oblek absently noted looked suspiciously like a Space Marine’s lightning claw- and was surprised to find his prey gone. The chief scout grimaced as his skin grated against the floor as he slid through the Orks legs, his knife slashing out viciously into the greenskins’ Achilles tendon. Bellowing with rage, the beast toppled to one side and twisted, searching for his attacker. He was met by a pouncing mass of human flesh, Oblek diving with all his weight behind his plunging knife. The blade bit into its eye with a satisfying squelch-pop, and the Ork backhanded him across the room. A blinding pain accompanied a mechanical crunch, the scout finding his landing cushioned by a series of gears. Unfortunately the gyration of which had trapped his ankle fast. Kicking out in frustration at the gears, he bruised the bottom of his right foot, even with his boot on. Casting about quickly, he saw the Ork stagger to its feet, ichor running down its face from the burst eye, a feral smile spreading as it saw his predicament. With what could only be described as an Ork chuckle, it started to charge.

Now desperate, Oblek did the only thing that came to mind – in one move he unsheathed his sabre and brought it slashing down on his ankle, simultaneously kicking the gears with his right foot once more. The mono-molecular edge, stolen from an Ork on a distant battlefield who no doubt had taken it from someone important, severed his foot at the ankle, his strong right-footed kick sprawling him backwards away from the gears. Too late to avert its charge, the Ork crunched head-long into the mechanics, its focused mass doing what the scout’s foot could not. Metal screeched and wrenched and bent in different directions, the whole construct shuddering as it came to a stalling standstill. Gritting his teeth against the throbbing, stabbing, fiery pain, Oblek drew both his pistols and unleashed all twelve slugs at the beasts’ head. Clearly his injury was affecting his aim, as at least one bullet nicked a pipe-line, sending igniting gases over the Ork’s tangled body. The smell of burnt flesh and the greenskins’ own pained squealing permeated the air as Oblek lurched from the room, searching for an exit as fast as his one remaining foot would allow.

Outside on the battlefield, a cheer went up as the giant Ork walker exploded in a shower of metal and flames. Disheartened by the loss of their boss’ finest creation, the tide of greenskins ebbed as they lost the driving will behind them. Somewhere, amongst the mass of bodies lain about the field, one stirred, moaning and chuckling darkly to himself. Oblek pushed himself up onto his hands and knees and began the long crawl towards his own people. He’d live to fight again. Barely.
Corrigan Phoenix

Postby Commander Shadow » Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:06 pm

Rusk: Loved it. Just a few minor things that should be caught by another round of editing, nothing major to worry about. I would have liked to see a bit more detail in the opening, about the surrounding, where they are. It was a bit of a jolt to find out that they were deployed on the wall. Perhaps you could push that bit of information forwards a bit? Other sorts of tidbits about Rog's company could also help set the mood.

CP: Great opening. My only problem was that there seemed to be a lot more telling than there was showing. I wasn't sure how close you were writing to your character but i don't know if i ever saw a name. Maybe take some time on details too? I personally was under the impression he was in an ork aircraft for some reason. The switch over to the ork's perspective was a little jarring, maybe cut it out a bit? or describe your man watching the ork and the ork talks to itself? Also, the switch to the walker exploding in the end seemed a bit sudden.

Other than that i enjoyed it thoroughly.

(btw, feel free to read over my opening and critique it)
- And there arose from the abyss a terrible beast and the armies of man were laid low by the walls of the ancient city. The ground shook and the skies trembled and all knew as the beast had come forth and that the end of time was upon them.

"Shadow is always right, except when he tries to save his men from charging orks" - Ang
Commander Shadow

Postby Corrigan Phoenix » Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:28 pm

I'll do some little changes to it later tonight or tomorrow then.

So, what have we got so far planned, i.e. recap :)
Corrigan Phoenix

Postby Commander Shadow » Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:10 pm

So, we have our openings which at this point seem to be the citadel at the middle of some city under assault by orks.

From then we have the "flash back" to the founding, fanfare, etc. Then they ship off to the desert planet to fight orks there.

I was thinking the overall idea would be that they were one of the regiments raised to deal with the escalating conflict with the ork advancing into a nearby sector. They first fight at the desert world, and then we follow them to their final fight (or is it?) at the citadel many years later when they are veterans, bloodied, and tired.

Thoughts?

Commander Shadow

Postby Corrigan Phoenix » Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:43 pm

Sounds good to me...so a series of shorts 'Ghostmaker'-esque each about different battlefields and how "we" fared upon said fields?

-Founding fields
-Desert

My other 'field ideas;

- Ork hulk/space station?
- Jungle/Wood/Forest
- Ice/Snow
- Plains
- Forge World
- Industrial World
- Hive World

Maybe the citadel we're fighting in at "the end" (or is it!?) could be one of the Waaagh! Boss' major installments/bases? We attacked with several other regiments; one was called off to help fight in another nearby theatre and the other two were crushed by Ork reinforcements - our regiment are first into attack and take the walls, as we're about to consolidate this attack, more Orks pour into the basin in front of the fortress, slaying the two supporting regiments. We're then trapped on the walls between the outside Orks and the counter-attacking fortress Orks.

I like the idea of the world the fortress is on being a pretty much empty world- the Ork warlord has decided to set up camp there to lure in the guard army and crush them!

The destruction of the other regiments leaves a very nice open-ending for if we wish to continue - we can 'assimilate' the surviving remnants of the other regiments, replenishing our numbers/armour numbers to enable us to fight further in the campaign.....just an idea =)

So, what do you think guys?
Corrigan Phoenix

Postby Commander Shadow » Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:09 am

Thats possible, what about something more along the lines of a linear campaign? not detailing the whole thing, but battles against the orks on certain planets (3 or so), before they are cycled back to a cushy reserve job on garrison duty (where they end up at the citadel) on a planet that was devastated by the fighting and is thus sparsely populated (a few major cities, some small hamlets and towns, etc). Then an ork fleet pulls into the system, having slipped past imperial pickets, and begins landing troops. The citadel is where the 67th Lyksari are based out of, and it is just them holding out against the orks, hoping an imperial counter attack will come.

In terms of planets to fight on, aside from the desert planet what are the thoughts on having the other two be more "earth like", as in a mix of environments rather than "ice world" or "plains" world, so as to add believably. We can have them fighting in a variety of environments while keeping them on the same planet? (for example, initial fighting drives the orks from the city into the dense marshes and swamp lands, ork counter assaults in the north drive imperial units back, etc).

I do like the idea of them falling into a trap though. Perhaps the ambush where supporting regiments are destroyed could be worked in on one of the other planets, and it seems as if its at the citadel, but its just an ork/imperial fortification. So as to add tension and angst that the characters will be killed?

Commander Shadow

Postby Rusk » Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:36 am

Thanks for the crit. I'll do an edit and add to this project a bit when I've got more time/regular access to the interwebz. Probably Wednesday or Thursday. Sometime soon, I promise guys!

Also, woo, 50th post. I'm just SO active on these boards. :lol:
My Fabulous Works:
First Contact - RiaR Savage
Pynewood -2.25k
Desecration - RiaR Desecration
Name - RiaR Pressure
Rusk

Postby Stuart000X » Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:49 am

I'm liking what I'm reading so far.
Stuart000X

Postby Corrigan Phoenix » Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:06 pm

I like the idea of the more earth-like planets; that's what I meant hence why I didn't put world after ice/snow, forest/jungle etc...meaning just fields of battle rather than actual entire worlds.

The ambush could well happen on another planet, and it would then give us a few units to include into the regiment in preparation for the last stand at the citadel (obviously they don't know that, they just assimilate some men/armour because they're depleted). So, in essence, I'm thinking we go from infantry to slightly mixed? Maybe not any troop transports like chimera etc, but more leaning towards a few artillery pieces, maybe a flak tank or two..."lesser" armour stuff or more specialised that we have to use ingenuity to adapt....

Maybe a single deathstrike missile tank, and that can be a deciding factor in the fight for the citadel...in game terms its random when it fires, so we could have it malfunctioning and some attached techies trying to fix it....whether it works or not is our prerogative; if we decide it does it could take out the heart of the enemy forces, or some vital armour piece of theirs, or it doesn't and we're overrun (or it doesnt, and it explodes and wipes us out).

We could use a couple of hades breaching drills as anti-infantry where breaches in the walls occur; letting them plug the gaps with their grinding drills, mushing Orks to paste instead of using our vital manpower =P

Another idea for a battle location is a Capitol Imperialis...those massive void-shield protected mobile command structures that the general's use - we could be assaulting an Ork-held one. Void shields could be intermittent (a few squads get vaporized, a few don't, here and there) and it would be a perfect close quarters, confusing battle through many hallways and chambers with locked bulkheads and maybe a few worn-down survivors of the original imperial command inhabitants defending a single chamber/two.

Once again just ideas, so stop me if anything doesn't gel or let me know if you like anything!
Corrigan Phoenix

Postby Commander Shadow » Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:54 pm

I like them being moulded into a mechanized regiment. Personally i would be in favor of having chimeras added in, but we can discuss it. As for deathstrike missiles, interesting concept, but there has to be a good reason why an infantry regiment would have one of those hanging around. Everything else that is included can be hashed out later, lets just get to writing and progress from there.

Starting off at the founding? or flesh out this 'opening' a bit more?

Commander Shadow

Postby Corrigan Phoenix » Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:31 pm

Actually thinking about it, would writing a mainstream piece each on the founding be the right move? Surely references to it from the standpoint of mid-battle would be better, as there would be a lack of engaging action at the founding, unless you have something specific planned to add excitement it...
Corrigan Phoenix

Postby Commander Shadow » Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:58 pm

i wazs just thinking, tearful goodbyes, a big speech, setting up all the initial character's we'll see. something short and quick

Commander Shadow

Postby Stuart000X » Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:27 am

I personally think we should try and maintain focus on our characters. Of course, what we write may encompass large events like regiment foundings and etc, but I feel that it would detract from our characters' tale if the attention is shifted to elsewhere. Of course, if we're going to add plot twists and etc, we should have our character(s) witness it with their own eyes and ears. Being a colonel, your character can be appraised of what is occuring and etc, so we have an access to the mind setting the Imperial hierarchy, to know of their intentions so we have an inkling of what is transpiring.
Stuart000X

Postby Commander Shadow » Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:19 pm

i like that, shall we get too it? are we going to flesh out our openings or just move forward from here?

Commander Shadow

PreviousNext

Return to Board index

Return to Planning and Discussion Threads