Warhammer 40k: The End of All Things

For convenient but separate story advertisement, planning and discussion threads.

Warhammer 40k: The End of All Things

Postby acon2988 » Sun Aug 28, 2011 7:39 am

I've been tossing this idea around for awhile, and the bolthole seems to be the perfect place to have some real fun with it, I don't know much about this board's history, so if something similar has already been proposed, I guess i'm resurrecting it? Anyway, here's the set-up:

*clears throat*

SINCE THE BEGINNING OF TIME, MAN HAS COMPLAINED OF ONE THING OVER ALL: THE LACK OF TIME ADVANCEMENT, AND MAJOR, GALAXY SHIFTING EVENTS IN THE 40K UNIVERSE. BORDERS SHIFT, ALLIANCES ARE MADE AND BROKEN, HINTS ARE DROPPED, BUT NOTHING MAJOR LIKE VANDIRE'S REIGN OF BLOOD OR THE LIKE EVER SEEMS TO HAPPEN.

...but what if they did?

What if EVERY Necron tomb world finally woke up? What if Abbadon, or someone even MORE powerful rallied all the divisive elements of chaos, making them TRULY Undivided, and launched another Heresy-level crusade? What if the Tau Empire launched a massive expansion campaign, and began swallowing whole sectors in the name of the Greater Good, in the end, rivaling the Imperium in scope, perhaps even challenging it. What if Ghazskull or another Ork amasses "da biggest WAAAGH! wut ever wuz" and krumps the whole galaxy? I think you get the idea by now, but I'll spell it out clearly:

What if somebody won?

This is what I want to explore in this group story, and I call it that, because as I am thinking of it right now, I can see it being very like Warhammer's current mythology right now: a general base from which multiple writers contribute; telling storiess both epic and small in scale. Plus, this is really the only way something like this could ever BE explored, since the whole point of 40k is that the galaxy is in a state of constant flux. If one side really did win, there'd be no more stories to tell, really (especially if the Tyranids won :mrgreen: ).

To classify this under Maugan's excellent guide, I'd put this as a cross between world-building and open-topic writing. The general plan would be to map out the general victory timeline for each major faction (if you have a favorite, odds are you'd want to get involved in that one, primarily) covering major turning points like "the fall of Terra," "the razing of Tau," etc. etc. Once the general details are in place, it should be easier for authors to start writing some stories, which is the desired end result, of course.

In the next post, I'm going to detail my ideas for each race's general victory-arc (some will be more fleshed out than others), and if this catches on, I'll start individual threads for each "Alternate Dimension" so to speak (don't want to jam up the board with new topics if nothing's going to come of this... :) )
Dr. Weird: GENTLEMEN! There is a chance...this...WILL WORK!
Steve: Uhh...didn't you say there's NO chance this will work?
Dr. Weird: FOOL! THIS WILL NEVER WORK!!!!

Shoot for the moon; even if you miss, omigodomigodomigodomigod, YOU"RE IN SPAAAAAAAAAACE!
acon2988

Re: Warhammer 40k: The End of All Things

Postby acon2988 » Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:23 am

So, here we go:

Warhammer 40k: Apotheosis (Imperial victory): Either by choice, or by the wear and tear mentioned in the fluff, the golden throne finally gives out, and the Emperor dies. But, as many of his more radical worshipers predicted, rather than staying that way, he rises again, more powerful than ever before, igniting a new age of zeal in the stagnating Imperium and launching a new crusade to find his sons again, defeat his wayward children, and conquer the galaxy once and for all.

Warhammer 40k: A Galaxy Burns (Chaos Victory): Deep within the Eye of Terror, a place of people's darkest fears, the ultimate nightmare is brought forth: A truly Undivided Chaos, united for the first time in a single purpose: to honor their patron gods in their chosen ways at a scale never seen before. Thus, flooding out from the massive warp storm come countless raid-fleets, armadas, invasion-forces and cultists vanguards. But who organized this apocalyptic invasion? Abbadon? Or someone worse?

Warhammer 40k: The Great Devourer (Tyranid Victory):You really have to ask? THEY EAT THE WHOLE THING. (and then depart in search of some galaxy-size Alka-Seltzer)

Warhammer 40k: The Rest Is Silence (Necron Victory):All across the galaxy, panicked transmissions all recount the same thing: From beneath the crusts of a million planets, legions of unstoppable robots armed with unholy weapons are laying waste to entire sectors. As the true scale of the purge becomes clear, pockets of resistance form in the few systems that remain untouched, ready to fight to the last as the implacable machines march across the stars.

Warhammer 40k: Life After Death (Eldar Victory) The Eldar have technically always been in a state of twilight, having been relegated to endangered species status after The Fall. After one loss too many, a humble bonesinger proposes a project that will change the Eldar species forever: The internment of EVERY Eldar in soulstones, transforming the entire species into a race living through proxy bodies of Wraithbone. This drastic alteration allows the Eldar unheard-of control over all aspects of their technology: pilots can fully interface with their ships like they were their bodies (because they are) the secrets of bonesinging are further developed, and the Eldar rapidly become a force determined to retake their old worlds in order to secure their species survival for good.

Warhammer 40k: The Ends Justify The Means (Tau Victory)The Tau empire's rise has always been something of a mystery; where did the Ethereals come from? Who are the mysterious benefactors who uplifted the small system-sized empire into a Galactic player? The answers to these questions and more are revealed as the aforementioned "benefactors" return, ready to give the Tau what they're always wanted, the chance to spread the Greater Good from one end of the Galaxy to the other.

Warhammer 40k: 'Ere We GO!! (Orkz Victory) Orkz iz made for two things: Fightin' an' winnin'. There's going to be plenty of both in this story, as an ork "Boss of Bosses" leads a WAAAAAGH!! unlike any ever seen before. The nightmare scenario has finally happened: The orkz are fully unified under a strong enough leader, and ready to raise hell and smash 'eadz.

*whew*

A Final Note: NONE OF THIS IS SET IN STONE, AND IT NEVER WILL BE. Not only would it be impossible to instill any sort of censorship in this endeavor, it would defeat the whole purpose. In the coming discussiosn I hope will happen, entirely different plot paths may come up, and I encourage that: The whole point is to give you some backstory to set a story of world-ending epicness against. I want to see debates on how Terra would fare against a hive fleet, or a Waagh!. I want to see stories told from an everyman's POV as the Tau liberators land on his planet and convert the populace, whether they like it or not. I want to see the same everyman as a guardsman in an alternate universe standing firm against a invasion force of Khorate cultists.

40k is a universe built on things blowing up. So, I say, let's blow the whole thing up, and see what happens when we do.
Dr. Weird: GENTLEMEN! There is a chance...this...WILL WORK!
Steve: Uhh...didn't you say there's NO chance this will work?
Dr. Weird: FOOL! THIS WILL NEVER WORK!!!!

Shoot for the moon; even if you miss, omigodomigodomigodomigod, YOU"RE IN SPAAAAAAAAAACE!
acon2988

Return to Board index

Return to Planning and Discussion Threads