The Debaters' Lounge

Extraneous communication, genuflection, adulation, dissection and admiration should make its way in here.

Re: The Debaters' Lounge

Postby Bod the inquisitor » Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:54 pm

shadowhawk2008 wrote:It might have been an oversight, especially if the post is still up. Without seeing the contents of the post, my first reaction is that you are not being oversensitive to the alleged content. Making fun of something like that is pretty low.

If the post is still up, I would recommend that you contact anyone in the team and bring it to their attention.

As a disabled person myself, I feel uneasy about not allowing people a certian leeway with regards to jokes and disability, as long as its not obviously being cruel and some disabilities are clearly a no-go.

Also, I am very much a lurker on these august forums, I'm primarily here for the writing, to learn from those here that are better than me at our chosen craft. So in some respects I don't feel I have a right to complain about others actions/comments. Also I'm not a complainer, never have been and never will be complainer. So I am going to stick to my original thoughts and actions and not name and shame the post, here or by PM. Particuarly as the post in question has been up for some time. However, just because I as a disabled person, has chosen to do what Mary Whitehouse should have learned to do a bit more, shrug ones shoulders and engage the off button, does not mean that other disabled people would not have taken umbrage with what was said. Indeed I know plenty who would have.

Oh, perhaps I should make it clear that I have suffered more than my fair share of disabilty discrimination, including losing a job and being bullyed by teachers. So I do have experience of when someone is being nasty.

My point in raising this issue is that it does somewhat demosntrate that there does need to be some transparancy with the moderation process, this is of course only my honest opinion :)
Ordos: Lectorformator

Enter my children,
Enter and join the betrayed,
Enter and leave the light,
Enter and forever join the ranks of the damned.

My latest effort: Useful Adversaries and Heart’s desire

Stories from my past
Bod the inquisitor

Postby Ghurlag » Fri Jun 10, 2011 5:58 pm

The forum's moderation policy has now been posted in the Announcements area.

As the misty veil of Albion is cast aside, we turn our gaze to the war-torn island of Albany, where the Red King vies with his former master for the control of a realm in dire threat.
Ghurlag

Postby Bloodsage » Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:16 pm

Shafer had it exactly right...though perhaps the explanation wondered a bit. :D The problem was never "thin-skinned" people, nor is there a sudden tide of Luddites bearing torches leading a push for "anti-intellectualism." As a matter of fact, what we see are the people who were justly censored for breaking the rules turning this situation around in order to blame others for their transgressions. These are just excuses certain people are using to avoid taking responsibility for their actions, and to insult anyone who doesn't share a viewpoint...which is what got them in trouble in the first place.

If, as moderators have said, the basic rules haven't changed...then I kind of fail to see the point. Why not enforce the rules the same everywhere?

But that's water under the bridge. The overall point some folks are missing is that intelligent conversation should, pretty much by definition, be polite conversation. While I unfortunately missed the religious zombies incident, the ones I have witnessed stemmed from posters confusing subjective with objective, and forgetting that reasonable people can disagree on many topics, and thus failing to stay factual and polite when expressing opinions.
Bloodsage

Postby schaferwhat‽ » Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:31 pm

Yo Mama Jokes are obviously still OK though yes?
schaferwhat‽

Postby Falkenhayn » Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:35 pm

I should hope so!
Falkenhayn

Postby Bloodsage » Wed Jun 15, 2011 6:52 am

schaferwhat‽ wrote:Yo Mama Jokes are obviously still OK though yes?

Yo mama's armpits are so hairy, it looks like she's got Bob Marley in a headlock! ;)

{Blatantly stolen from Radio 1's morning show from yesterday.}
Bloodsage

Postby Argel Tal » Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:26 pm

These jokes amuse me, mainly because they have no effect on me whatsoever. You want to mock my fat, insane psychopath of a mother? Be my guest :)
Only the insane have strength enough to prosper. Only those who prosper may truly judge what is sane.

Fifty Shades of Geek - reviews, interviews and features covering the whole realm of geek based entertainment, from comic books to films and everything inbetween. See the site at www.fiftyshadesofgeek.org, follow us on twitter @shadesofgeek and join in with the community www.facebook.com/50shadesofgeek
Argel Tal

Postby Blinded » Sat Aug 10, 2013 7:26 pm

Argel Tal wrote:

These jokes amuse me, mainly because they have no effect on me whatsoever. You want to mock my fat, insane psychopath of a mother? Be my guest :)

This can still be used you know. Like with likening the individual to his/her mother (or vise versa). Not caring about one's mother is one thing, but having no self-respect is entirely another matter. So BEWARE!!! :mrgreen:
Worm and W40K are both dieing worlds, but while Worm is barely managing to avoid getting swallowed up, 40K is trying to stab Death in the eye with a chainsaw. - .IronSun.
Blinded

Postby Bloodsage » Sat Aug 24, 2013 1:51 am

So what were you doing two years ago? I think was eating a ham sandwich. :lol:
Bloodsage

Postby Argel Tal » Sat Oct 12, 2013 1:25 am

Blinded wrote:
Argel Tal wrote:

This can still be used you know. Like with likening the individual to his/her mother (or vise versa). Not caring about one's mother is one thing, but having no self-respect is entirely another matter. So BEWARE!!! :mrgreen:

Ah, but you see, I am well aware of the similarities between myself and my mother. Like her, I bear grudges, I never forgive and I have a vindictive streak which in my case I fight (not always successfully) to keep under control. I also suffer with certain mental issues, I have borderline misanthropic tendencies and a particularly sadistic sense of humour.

Unlike my mother however, I am fully able to acknowledge and own my faults and weaknesses and the interesting thing is that once you can do that, they all become strengths instead, because a weakness that nobody can use against you is no weakness at all :)

But I fear we may be somewhat wandering away from the point here... :D
Only the insane have strength enough to prosper. Only those who prosper may truly judge what is sane.

Fifty Shades of Geek - reviews, interviews and features covering the whole realm of geek based entertainment, from comic books to films and everything inbetween. See the site at www.fiftyshadesofgeek.org, follow us on twitter @shadesofgeek and join in with the community www.facebook.com/50shadesofgeek
Argel Tal

Postby sam vimes » Wed Feb 04, 2015 1:07 am

Christopher Hitchens quite the independent thinker and certainly a man that sparks debate, and I'm watching the video below my apologies for sharing as the man Christopher is debating with is sinularly unpleasant, watched another debate were he debated a to be frank a bloody charming and intelligent muslim man that gave in my view as good as he got:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6LhfmHlJfYQ

Debate away but if you close the vid after 2mins I do not blame you ugh Bill Donohue blergh
"Huron-Fal’s systems were on the verge of shutdown ... ‘This death,’ rasped the voder, ‘this death is ours. We choose it. We deny you your victory.’

"Abandon your fear. Look forward. Move forward and never stop. You'll age if you pull back. You'll die if you hesitate."

"From iron cometh strength. From strength cometh will. From will cometh faith. From faith cometh honour. From honour cometh iron." "And may it ever be so"
[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
sam vimes

Postby Athelassan » Wed Feb 04, 2015 2:30 am

Sam, FYI, this isn't the Lounge, this is a thread for discussion of matters relating to the Lounge and for people to request access. The Lounge is a separate subforum here, and that's where controversial topics should go. If you can't see it, let me know and we can sort out the permissions.
Athelassan

Postby sam vimes » Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:57 am

Ah I see and nope I can't see it.
"Huron-Fal’s systems were on the verge of shutdown ... ‘This death,’ rasped the voder, ‘this death is ours. We choose it. We deny you your victory.’

"Abandon your fear. Look forward. Move forward and never stop. You'll age if you pull back. You'll die if you hesitate."

"From iron cometh strength. From strength cometh will. From will cometh faith. From faith cometh honour. From honour cometh iron." "And may it ever be so"
[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
sam vimes

Previous

Return to Board index

Return to Insanely Off Topic