I find buying books to be a miserable experience lately.

Extraneous communication, genuflection, adulation, dissection and admiration should make its way in here.

I find buying books to be a miserable experience lately.

Postby Therion » Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:00 pm

And I can't even call it a first world problem because in Poland costs of books are simply ridiculous. Like, imagine having to pay work equivalent of 28,5GBP/32,8$ for a typical mass trade paperback novels, including basic Wh40k novels.

So, a little introduction - with novels shifting from mass market paperbacks to trade paperbacks, novels became more of luxury items than before.
Like, when I look at my old novels and new ones, the most important difference I see is that almost all the old ones have broken spines. Because with mass market paperbacks, the physical form didn't really matter.

But with hardcover books and trade paper backs the condition of the book is very important and both stationary stores and internet stores are very bad for condition. Like in stationary stores the book was usually moved many times and often opened many times and often is in "used" shape and buying from internet stores is just miserable.

The books not only get damaged in transit but often they also manage to damage them and get them dirty before even sending them out. It really sucks. Especially with more expensive books.

Like I got Naussicaa box with bent in corner in an oversized box with nothing to protect it, I am Providence with mangled corner of a cover and bent last several pages. Recently received Panzertaltik with mangled cover which judging by how it was placed in box, was already damaged when before it got packaged - Panzertaktik was locally published and it had cover price of 150pln which is as much work as 109,5GBP or 126$. I got it in a big sale for 110pln but it's still a lot of work - like as much work as Forge World Horus Heresy books (knowing my luck, if I'd actually order one of these it would arrive broken in half).

Like, buying stuff should be relaxing but they somehow managed to turn it into an exercise in misery. And when it comes to the internet purchases part, I found it getting worse around 2015 since most of sellers shifted from mail to various shady shipping services. Like for a long time books would arrive after a month and somewhat damaged. It seems shipping times have improved a bit this year but the shape of the books didn't.
"There can be no bystanders in the battle for survival. Anyone who will not fight by your side is an enemy you must crush" -Scriptorus Munificantus
Therion

Re: I find buying books to be a miserable experience lately.

Postby Therion » Thu Oct 04, 2018 4:39 am

Some fun with new books:

All that damage was on one book and it wasn't even from transport.

Book with... puncturing damage?

A 60$ book. Wow.

Ordering books nowadays. Not knowing in what shape they'll arrive and when buying internationally whenever they'll arrive in two weeks or over a month.

Both books arrived dirty and damaged. In 2017.

Got a book in 2017 - waited for it over a month and it arrived like this:

This isn't even postal damage. They send me a replacement meanwhile and both arrived with the same damage.

Naussicaa boxed set sent like this. The corner was bent in, including in the actual book.

All of that just 2017-2018. Photos of new, freshly unpacked books. Except for the last. It was used but certainly not to this point.

I'm just sick of it all.
"There can be no bystanders in the battle for survival. Anyone who will not fight by your side is an enemy you must crush" -Scriptorus Munificantus
Therion

Re: I find buying books to be a miserable experience lately.

Postby Therion » Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:54 pm

That feel when receiving replacement books and they just come with different damage and additionally the most expensive one comes with several dirty fingerprints on it.
Therion

Return to Board index

Return to Insanely Off Topic