Which Chapter to pick...

Extraneous communication, genuflection, adulation, dissection and admiration should make its way in here.

Which Chapter to pick...

Postby Squiggle » Sun Jul 23, 2017 1:13 pm

So I have a bunch of loyalist primaris marines courtesy of the new Dark Imperium boxed set. I've never played the good guys in 40k, having always collected chaos. Mainly because my Dad and brother always had the good guys (Blood Angels and Space Wolves respectively).

I can't decide which chapter to paint them up as... so I need your help. I might even start a twitter poll and link it to the blog and start posting up some work in progress pictures there, as well as writing some fiction on the forum.

These are my thoughts.

Crimson Fists. I have a soft spot for these guys. They were on the cover of the original Warhammer 40k rogue trader edition, having their last stand around the banner which brings back fond memories. As a chapter that were nearly annihilated it makes lots of fluff sense to choose them to be reinforced by Primaris marines, and means that I can use the primaris guys as one detachment and then collect some regular marines heavy on the veterans and scouts to represent the chapter in a rebuilding stage. It also means that I can play a nice narrative campaign against my Dad's sizable ork horde as the cleansing of Rynn's World. Oh and their colour scheme is pretty nifty too.

Scythes of the Emperor famously got near-annihilated by tyranids (I seem to favour the underdogs here) and I wrote a bit of short fiction for them trying to get into a black library submission window a few years ago. However after Laurie Golding got his hands on them a few years ago they have become much more popular as a chapter. And I don't really want to mainly be painting marines in black.

Black Dragons these guys I have a current story on the forum for. They are totally undefined in the lore and only seem to pop up in a few BL stories. Unfortunately their armour is also black.

Somebody else maybe I need to look a little bit further from the beaten path. Maybe I should create a new Primaris only chapter and write some fan fiction for the forum. That at least means that I wouldn't have to paint anything black!

Thoughts?

IN fact I have also put a twitter poll up so go vote! @BlBolthole
If my mind's the weapon, my heart's the extra clip

Forum Moderator

@sqyiggle
Squiggle

Re: Which Chapter to pick...

Postby schaferwhat‽ » Sun Jul 23, 2017 5:45 pm

I think I'd favour homebrew if you want to go solely Primaris as your army. Partly because I want to read you do lots of fanfiction to flesh them out, partly because you can opt not to do Black which your other "lesser known" Chapter ideas that you like seem to be sticking you with.

http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Lost_Chapter could be useful, a new Chapter with the name of the old one having stuck with a legacy made by Astartes long dead. Could prove interesting if you want to play it that way.

You can't go wrong with Crimson Fists though.
schaferwhat‽

Postby Squiggle » Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:06 pm

yeah, I am between something new and the crimson fists.

you will get some fan-fiction no matter

Forum Moderator

@sqyiggle
Squiggle

Postby Xisor » Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:52 pm

I'm on the homebrew bandwagon. Especially if all-Primaris, go for a much more unified looking force. The original World Eaters blue/white scheme is a good one, I think. Both because it's striking, and because weathering shows up really nicely.

E.g. parade ground white & blur.. after nine months in a prolonged cityfight.

It also avoids a lot of the logistical questions faced by reinforced existing chapters (e.g. did they get their own Geneseed?), and gives a big impetus to tread new ground.
"When my housemate puts his bike in the middle of the living room floor, I find that inordinately jarring, annoying and rude, but for me to refer to it as "genocide" would be incorrect." -Ath
xisor.wordpress
Xisor's Dice-o-matic Maiminator
Xisor
Site Admin

Postby Major Rawne » Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:56 pm

Crimson Fists sound like a good plan to me.

Then again Schafe makes a good point about bringing a Lost Chapter chapter back. GW have already brought the Black Consuls back, maybe some Astral Knights would be cool.

I myself have half a mind on some Rift Stalkers as one of the newly formed chapters from the new background.
Major Rawne

Postby Squiggle » Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:14 pm

Xisor wrote:I'm on the homebrew bandwagon. Especially if all-Primaris, go for a much more unified looking force. The original World Eaters blue/white scheme is a good one, I think. Both because it's striking, and because weathering shows up really nicely.

E.g. parade ground white & blur.. after nine months in a prolonged cityfight.

It also avoids a lot of the logistical questions faced by reinforced existing chapters (e.g. did they get their own Geneseed?), and gives a big impetus to tread new ground.

Pre heresy world esters is a great colour scheme. and would leave plenty of room for "where did the geneseed for these guys come from Mr Cawl?!"

Forum Moderator

@sqyiggle
Squiggle

Postby Rob P » Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:37 pm

Go homebrew. Reasons above are good enough, but I'd love to see some fanfic on something fresh.
Rob P

Postby schaferwhat‽ » Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:03 am

Squiggle wrote:
Pre heresy world esters is a great colour scheme. and would leave plenty of room for "where did the geneseed for these guys come from Mr Cawl?!"

Please have at least part of their name be "War Hounds" even if there is more to it than that "Emperor's War Hounds" "Iron War Hounds" "Crimson War Hounds" whatever. Just for on the nose points.
schaferwhat‽

Postby Squiggle » Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:53 pm

well the voters have spoken... and its a tie between Scythes of the Emperor and a homebrew chapter of my own creation...

so I think I am going to go with the latter and see what I come up with!

Forum Moderator

@sqyiggle
Squiggle

Postby Athelassan » Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:04 pm

schaferwhat‽ wrote:
Squiggle wrote:

Please have at least part of their name be "War Hounds" even if there is more to it than that "Emperor's War Hounds" "Iron War Hounds" "Crimson War Hounds" whatever. Just for on the nose points.

"Battle Dogs" :roll:

Ath
Athelassan

Postby Squiggle » Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:15 am

Ah, see now I am torn...

I was thinking Astral Knights, as they have a nifty scheme and a great history and I rather like the idea of a new chapter of Primaris Marines marching back into their abandoned fortress monastery on Obsidia.

But I have long had a soft spot for the Scythes of the Emperor, and in terms of collecting they give me a better combination of gnarly veterans who have survived the hivefleet kraken, and the primaris reinforcements. From a fiction side that gives me plenty of scope of stories and characters.

Hmm.

Colour schemewise both are good.

Forum Moderator

@sqyiggle
Squiggle

Postby Lord of the Night » Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:47 pm

Squiggle wrote:I was thinking Astral Knights, as they have a nifty scheme and a great history and I rather like the idea of a new chapter of Primaris Marines marching back into their abandoned fortress monastery on Obsidia.

But I have long had a soft spot for the Scythes of the Emperor, and in terms of collecting they give me a better combination of gnarly veterans who have survived the hivefleet kraken, and the primaris reinforcements. From a fiction side that gives me plenty of scope of stories and characters.

Damn tough choice there. Both are awesome Chapters, the Astral Knights would have been a choice of mine but their blue-silver metallic main colour seems very hard to create. Though I agree that the Primaris will recreate them, i'd be surprised if it doesn't happen officially given their immense sacrifice and the fame it brought them. I'd bet that Guilliman will restore them as a matter of honour. Though one note, their fortress-monastery wasn't abandoned, it was given over to the Sable Swords who were created to fill the void left by the Astral Knights. (http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Sable_Swords)

The Scythes on the other hand are just as cool if not more so, and we know for a fact that they have received Primaris reinforcements (Guilliman notes in Dark Imperium that they are a priority to get them as he is counting them as one of the Chapters responsible for protecting the newly reformed Five-Hundred Worlds of Ultramar), and they do have a great colour scheme.

Honestly I can't offer a suggestion. Both are badass Chapters and neither is a wrong choice. I'm torn myself on the Chapters, I can't decide between the Knights of Blood or the Lamenters myself. Too many awesome Chapters!

LotN
http://www.talkwargaming.com/search/lab ... %20Reviews - Black Library Reviews by Lord of the Night@Talk Wargaming
Lord of the Night

Postby Squiggle » Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:15 pm

I've gone astral knights. you can see some of my thoughts, fluffwise in my competition entry.

I'm looking forward to getting on with painting them up.

Forum Moderator

@sqyiggle
Squiggle

Return to Board index

Return to Insanely Off Topic