Your favorite quotes

Extraneous communication, genuflection, adulation, dissection and admiration should make its way in here.

Re: Your favorite quotes

Postby Xisor » Sat Apr 21, 2012 5:11 pm

Noticed someone flicked through the post on my blog so took a wee gander back at it, it revealed this little though:

Seventeen: when was the last time you cried?
I almost always cry when reading Harry Potter at somepoint. I know my eyes were (and almost always are) all watery when I read the ending of the Philosopher’s Stone. It’s the “It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to our enemies, but it takes just as much courage to stand up to our friends. For that reason, I award Neville Longbottom ten points!” line. Notably, I only finished (for the umpteenth time) Stone again over the weekend.

Made me smile heartily.
"When my housemate puts his bike in the middle of the living room floor, I find that inordinately jarring, annoying and rude, but for me to refer to it as "genocide" would be incorrect." -Ath
xisor.wordpress
Xisor's Dice-o-matic Maiminator
Xisor
Site Admin

Postby Blinded » Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:47 pm

"Came to fix the eybrow and blinded the eye instead."-Persian saying.
Worm and W40K are both dieing worlds, but while Worm is barely managing to avoid getting swallowed up, 40K is trying to stab Death in the eye with a chainsaw. - .IronSun.
Blinded

Postby Mauthos » Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:57 pm

I love the Bruce Lee quote:

'I fear not the man that has practiced 1000 kicks once, but the man that has practiced one kick 1000 times.'
Simplicity is the key to brilliance.
Mauthos

Postby Lord of the Night » Tue May 08, 2012 4:49 pm

Love this Family Guy quote from Season 10.

"Tonight's Family Guy was a very special episode about drug use, but the simple fact is, it's no laughing matter. To learn more about drugs, visit your local library. There's probably a guy behind there who sells drugs."

LotN
http://www.talkwargaming.com/search/lab ... %20Reviews - Black Library Reviews by Lord of the Night@Talk Wargaming
Lord of the Night

Postby Bane Of Kings » Tue May 08, 2012 6:29 pm

Avengers quotes:

Spoiler: Loki: What have I to fear?
Tony Stark: The Avengers. It's what we call ourselves, sort of like a team. "Earth's Mighiest Heroes" type thing.
Loki: Yes, I've met them.
Tony Stark: Yeah, takes us a while to get any traction, I'll give you that one but, let's do a head count here. Your brother, the demi-god; a super soldier, a living legend who kind of lives up to the legend; a man with breath-taking anger management issues; a couple of master assassins, and *you*, big fella, you've managed to piss off every single one of them.
Loki: That was the plan.
Tony Stark: Not a great plan. When they come, and they will, they'll come for you.
Loki: I have an army.
Tony Stark: We have a Hulk.
Loki: I thought the beast had wandered off.
Tony Stark: You're missing the point. There's no throne. There is no version of this where you come out on top. Maybe your army comes and maybe it's too much for us but it's all on you. Because if we can't protect the Earth, you can be damned well sure we'll avenge it.

Loki: [Hulk and Loki fighting. Everything stops] I am a God! I am not going to be bullied by a...
[Hulk grabs him by the legs and throws him around]
Loki: [Loki is stunned by what happened and cannot get back up]
The Hulk: [Hulk strutting away] Puny God.

Steve Rogers: Hulk, smash!
[Hulk grins and attacks the enemies]

Loki: [on Iron Man] How desperate are you that you would call upon such lost creatures to defend you?
Nick Fury: You've made me VERY desperate.

Thor: He's my brother
Natasha Romanoff: He killed 80 people in 2 days
Thor: ...He's adopted

Agent Phil Coulson: [Over telephone] Mr Stark, we need to talk.
Tony Stark: You have reached the life model decoy of Tony Stark, please leave a message.
Agent Phil Coulson: This is urgent.
Tony Stark: Then leave it urgently.
[Coulson enters]
Tony Stark: Security breach.
[to Pepper]
Tony Stark: That's on you.
Agent Phil Coulson: Mr Stark.
Pepper Potts: Phil! Come in.
Tony Stark: Phil? Uh, his first name is Agent.

Steve Rogers: Big man in a suit of armour. Take that off, what are you?
Tony Stark: Genius, billionaire, playboy, philanthropist.

BOOK/FILM/GAME/TV REVIEWS
http://thefictionalhangout.blogspot.co.uk/
"The Machine asked me to tell you something before we part. You once told John the whole point of Pandora’s box was that once you’ve opened it, you can’t close it again. She wanted me to remind you of how the story ends. When everything is over, when the worst has happened, there’s still one thing left in Pandora’s box: hope"
Bane Of Kings

Postby Lord of the Night » Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:04 pm

Ten-hut! My name is Lt. Aldo Raine and I'm puttin' together a special team; and I need me eight soldiers. Eight Jewish-American soldiers. Now, y'all might've of heard rumors about the armada happening soon. Well, we'll be leaving a little earlier. We're gonna be dropped into France, dressed as civilians. And once we're in enemy territory, as a bushwackin' guerrilla army, we're gonna be doing one thing and one thing only … killing Nazis. Now, I don't know about y'all, but I sure as hell didn't come down from the goddamn Smoky Mountains, cross five thousand miles of water, fight my way through half of Sicily and jump out of a fuckin' air-o-plane to teach the Nazis lessons in humanity. Nazi ain't got no humanity. They're the foot soldiers of a Jew-hatin', mass murderin' maniac, and they need to be dee-stroyed. That's why any and every son of a bitch we find wearin' a Nazi uniform, they're gonna die. Now, I am the direct descendant of the mountain man Jim Bridger, and that means I got a little Injun in me. And our battle plan will be that of an Apache resistance. We will be cruel to the Germans, and through our cruelty they will know who we are. And they will find the evidence of our cruelty in the disemboweled, dismembered and disfigured bodies of their brothers we leave behind us, and the Germans won't be able to help themselves but to imagine the cruelty their brothers endured at our hands, and our boot heels, and the edge of our knives. And the Germans will be sickened by us, and the Germans will talk about us, and the Germans will fear us. And when the Germans close their eyes at night and they're tortured by their subconscious for the evil that they've done, it will be with thoughts of us that they are tortured with. Sound good? (Soldiers yell, "Yes, sir!") That's what I like to hear. But I got a word of warning for all you would-be-warriors: when you join my command, you take on debit, a debit you owe me personally. Each and every man under my command owes me one hundred Nazi scalps. And I want my scalps! And all y'all will get me one hundred Nazi scalps taken from the heads of one hundred dead Nazis, or you will die tryin'!
-Lieutenant Aldo Raine

Best speech ever given in the history of humanity, alongside the War Speech by The Major. :D

LotN
Last edited by Lord of the Night on Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.talkwargaming.com/search/lab ... %20Reviews - Black Library Reviews by Lord of the Night@Talk Wargaming
Lord of the Night

Postby Chun the Unavoidable » Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:15 am

'I don't believe in isms. Isms in my opinion are not good. I quote John Lennon: "I don't believe in Beatles, I just believe in me." A good point there. After all, he was the walrus. I could be the walrus. It still wouldn't change the fact that I have to bum rides offa people.'

'It's like I always say, "Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it."'

-Ferris Bueller
Chun the Unavoidable

Postby Xisor » Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:53 am

Big Old Battlestar Galactica Spoiler

Spoiler: Brother Cavil:
In all your travels, have you ever seen a star go supernova?

Ellen Tigh:
No.

Brother Cavil:
No? Well, I have. I saw a star explode and send out the building blocks of the Universe. Other stars, other planets and eventually other life. A supernova! Creation itself! I was there. I wanted to see it and be part of the moment. And you know how I perceived one of the most glorious events in the universe? With these ridiculous gelatinous orbs in my skull! With eyes designed to perceive only a tiny fraction of the EM spectrum. With ears designed only to hear vibrations in the air.

Ellen Tigh:
The five of us designed you to be as human as possible.

Brother Cavil:
I don't want to be human! I want to see gamma rays! I want to hear X-rays! And I want to - I want to smell dark matter! Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can't even express these things properly because I have to - I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid limiting spoken language! But I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws! And feel the wind of a supernova flowing over me! I'm a machine! And I can know much more! I can experience so much more. But I'm trapped in this absurd body! And why? Because my five creators thought that God wanted it that way!

Utterly glorious. Perhaps one of my favourite moments of any series ever. It also captures how I'm feeling this morning.
"When my housemate puts his bike in the middle of the living room floor, I find that inordinately jarring, annoying and rude, but for me to refer to it as "genocide" would be incorrect." -Ath
xisor.wordpress
Xisor
Site Admin

Postby Lord of the Night » Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:54 am

"Freedom is the right of all sentient beings."
- Optimus Prime

LotN
Lord of the Night

Postby David Earle » Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:59 am

Who are you not to be great? You, with the imagination of a brilliant child and the powers of an ancient god.

Who are you to be ordinary? You, who can rescind life, or raise the dead.

Who are you to be afraid? You who can serve as judge and jury while hoarding infinite lives.

Who are you to be a slave to the past? You who can travel time like the oceans, and rewrite history with a single word!

Who are you to be anonymous? You, whose name should be spoken in reverent tones, or in terrified whispers!

And who are you to deny greatness? If you would deny it to yourself, you deny it to the entire world.

And we will not be denied.

The Man in the Purple Jacket
Check out my blog!

"David is very very old, but also slow, he creeps up behind you without you noticing and then just as his non-breath fails to be felt against your neck he pounces and gives you an informative post." - schaferwhat‽

Ogunzhar lives!
David Earle

Postby Xisor » Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:18 am

I used to think that it was awful that life was so unfair. Then I thought, wouldn't it be much worse if life were fair, and all the terrible things that happen to us come because we actually deserve them? So, now I take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe.
- Marcus Cole, Late Delivery from Avalon/Babylon 5
xisor.wordpress
Xisor
Site Admin

Postby David Earle » Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:48 pm

Agatha Heterodyne wrote:Look around! We have so much to work with! So many different things - things that no one would dream of putting together! We cannot help but do something new! Something interesting!

...When things are put into conjunction in a way never before seen... Yes... That is when one can truly glimpse the mechanics of the universe!

...The results of logic - of "natural progression"? Boring! An "expected result"? Dull! An "obvious next step"? Pfui! Where's the fun in that? We want to see the unexpected! The strange and terrible! A dream merely soothes - but our nightmares make us run!

BEHOLD!

Via Girl Genius.
Check out my blog!

"David is very very old, but also slow, he creeps up behind you without you noticing and then just as his non-breath fails to be felt against your neck he pounces and gives you an informative post." - schaferwhat‽

Ogunzhar lives!
David Earle

Postby Blinded » Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:03 pm

Snatch.

Brick Top: You're always gonna have problems lifting a body in one piece. Apparently the best thing to do is cut up a corpse into six pieces and pile it all together.

Sol: Would someone mind telling me, who are you?

Brick Top: And when you got your six pieces, you gotta get rid of them, because it's no good leaving it in the deep freeze for your mum to discover, now is it? Then I hear the best thing to do is feed them to pigs. You got to starve the pigs for a few days, then the sight of a chopped-up body will look like curry to a pisshead. You gotta shave the heads of your victims, and pull the teeth out for the sake of the piggies' digestion. You could do this afterwards, of course, but you don't want to go sievin' through pig shit, now do you? They will go through bone like butter. You need at least sixteen pigs to finish the job in one sitting, so be wary of any man who keeps a pig farm. They will go through a body that weighs 200 pounds in about eight minutes. That means that a single pig can consume two pounds of uncooked flesh every minute. Hence the expression, "as greedy as a pig".

Vinny: Well, thank you for that. That's a great weight off me mind. Now, if you wouldn't mind telling me who the fuck you are, apart from someone who feeds people to pigs of course?
Worm and W40K are both dieing worlds, but while Worm is barely managing to avoid getting swallowed up, 40K is trying to stab Death in the eye with a chainsaw. - .IronSun.
Blinded

Postby Blinded » Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:10 pm

From a delightful W40K fanfic in fanfiction.net

"Baldrick, I would rather play bloody knuckles with Kharn the Betrayer-"

"That doesn't sound so bad, my lord. I hear he's a hell of a guy."

"-while wearing Eodmund's Tzneechian robes, being served delicacies by a Nurglite, massaged by a Dark Eldar and receiving head from a Slaaneshian pleasure cultist all on the doorstep of the Dark Angel's fortress-monastery, with a big banner above the entire occasion proclaiming that the Dark Angels couldn't purge so much as a toilet without help from the Inquisition."
Blinded

Postby Athelassan » Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:04 am

I don't know if it's in the book, but from the TV adaptation:

Parade's End wrote:Tietjens: They'll never have me back. The sentimentalist must be stoned to death. He makes everyone uncomfortable.

Valentine: You shouldn't be proud of despising your country.

Tietjens: Don't believe that! I love every field and hedgerow. The land is England and, once, it was the foundation of order, before money took over and handed the country to the swindlers and schemers. Toryism of the pigs' trough.

Valentine: Then what is your Toryism?

Tietjens: Duty. Duty and service, to above and below; frugality; keeping your word; honouring the past; looking after your people, and beggaring yourself if need be before letting your people go hang. If we'd stayed out of it I'd have gone over to France to fight for France, for agriculture against industrialism, for the 18th century against the 20th, if you like. I hoped you'd understand.

Valentine: Oh, I understand you. You're as innocent about yourself as a child. You would have thought all the same things in the 18th century.

Tietjens: Of course I would, and I would have been right!

Ath
Athelassan

Postby sam vimes » Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:05 pm

From the song winter born by crux shadows

Within this moment now
I am for you, though better men have failed
I will give my life for love
For I am Winter born
And in my dying
I'm more alive, than I have ever been
I will make this sacrifice
For I am Winter born
"Huron-Fal’s systems were on the verge of shutdown ... ‘This death,’ rasped the voder, ‘this death is ours. We choose it. We deny you your victory.’

"Abandon your fear. Look forward. Move forward and never stop. You'll age if you pull back. You'll die if you hesitate."

"From iron cometh strength. From strength cometh will. From will cometh faith. From faith cometh honour. From honour cometh iron." "And may it ever be so"
[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
sam vimes

Postby Xisor » Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:06 pm

"Who gave you all the answers, old man?"
"No one gives me answers, sir," the Doctor retorted. "I seek them out for myself, as anyone can."

- Doctor Who, 'Ten Little Aliens'.
xisor.wordpress
Xisor
Site Admin

Postby Bane Of Kings » Sat Aug 10, 2013 6:10 pm

BOOK/FILM/GAME/TV REVIEWS
http://thefictionalhangout.blogspot.co.uk/
"The Machine asked me to tell you something before we part. You once told John the whole point of Pandora’s box was that once you’ve opened it, you can’t close it again. She wanted me to remind you of how the story ends. When everything is over, when the worst has happened, there’s still one thing left in Pandora’s box: hope"
Bane Of Kings

Postby Xisor » Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:17 pm

"Do you know you're the only man in the world, the only man on the face of the earth from Adam up to now, who when his wife sends him out to buy roses comes home with a pair of dog balls?"

-Paola in Eco's 'Mysterious Flame of Queen Loanna'
xisor.wordpress
Xisor
Site Admin

Postby HafezFromParadox » Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:25 am

"We've blown the fore starboard hog!!"
HafezFromParadox

PreviousNext

Return to Board index

Return to Insanely Off Topic